Menu

Marriage poll: Just out of curiosity

Whom did you marry?  

1. 1. Whom did you marry?

• I married someone I met in high school.
    • I married someone I met in college.
    • I'm married, but not to anyone I met in high school or college.
    • Not/Never married.

My husband and I met while we were in elementary school.

We started "going together" (which then meant really that we just acknowledged we didn't hate each other) in sixth grade, started dating for real in junior high. We dated on and off through the first couple of years of high school, then broke up and didn't see each other for several years.

We got back in touch when we were in our early 20s and married a few years later.

I voted high school, but we didn't go to the same school. We met at a church diocesan conference (went to different churches in the same area). We dated of and on, then "went steady" in college, but we were in different colleges, too.

Been married 26+ years.

Just an aside--It's funny when you reach that point of having known your dh longer than you haven't known him. LOL For me that was 12 years ago.

LOL! I realized 4 years ago that Patrick and I had been together half my life. :001_smile:

It is neat to read about those of you who have known your dhs for so long. I met mine after we were both several years out of college.

Yes, it is. I was engaged to my college boyfriend, but broke up with him shortly before graduation because I felt like I was way too young to get married and tie myself down to one person for the rest of my life. We maintained a precarious relationship after that, until finally parting ways for good. I still think about him every day, even though I wouldn't change a thing about my life. He had a profound impact on my life, and helped me to get to the place where I am right now, which is in a pretty secure place with myself. I know dh had a relationship like that as well. He always says that person helped him learn how to be a good mate. Dh was 43 when we were married and I was a couple months shy of 33. It was the first marriage for both of us, and I think it is a very different relationship than what either of us would have had if we stayed with earlier relationships.

I'm very impressed with people who have found the right person right away and spend the majority of their lives together. It's a very happy thought.

I was in my Senior year in high school when I met my future husband who was in the army and three years older than me. He's the first and only man I ever dated. We got engaged when I turned 18 and married the January after my high school graduation. This January will make 11 years for us.:)

I voted high school, but technically we are four years apart and our school only had 10-12th grades at the high school. We attended the same high school, but not at the same time. I was still in high school and he was back from college on Christmas break when a friend set us up.

We found out later that his family had lived next to my grandparents while we were growing up and my grandmother has pictures of my husband and his brother playing with her youngest set of children. My mother was estranged from her mother at that point, so we were never at my grandmother's house.

We just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary.

I met my husband the summer after I graduated from college. I moved to a different state for my first post-graduation job and met him there. Strangely, he was supposed to start attending the college I had just graduated from. Those plans changed when he met me and he attended a different local university instead, so that he could date me. Good choice on his part.

I met my husband the summer after we both graduated from high school. We lived in cities about an hour's drive apart, and met at church when my family visited his church one Sunday. We were in the same Sunday School class. That was in 1978. :)

This is very similar to dh and me!

--We met the summer after I graduated high school; he was already a couple years into college.

--We lived in cities not quite an hour apart.

--We met at a church youth function in my town on a Friday evening (although several months earlier, following an evening church service, a relative-through-marriage of his tried to play match-maker. I wasn't interested :001_smile:).

--It wasn't too many years before '78!

My dh and I met and started dating in high school. We went to separate colleges for freshman year and married the following summer.

We have been married for 33 years. wow

If asked (I don't offer unsolicted advice to young couples :001_smile:) I would say wait. There isn't any rush. We have a good marriage and I am happy but sometimes I wonder what I might have tried or where I might have gone if I had not married so young (19 years old).

eta: fortunately he is very outgoing and willing to try adventures, we have done many fun things and have moved around the country. I don't feel stuck I just wonder sometimes. IYKWIM?

Edited by Denise in Florida

I met my hubby right after I graduated, but I missed meeting him by just a couple years at the Nuclear Base in Orlando where he was stationed. We moved there while I was in highschool, a couple years after he left, as my stepdad was on shoreduty for a time there. I worked on base at a couple different places and would have run into him if he'd been there, lol.

We ended up in the same area in the fall of '96, when I met him while working at walmart after his apartment burned down. We've been married almost 15 years.

DH and I went to Kindergarten together. He went on to a private elementary and Junior High school, I went thru Public. We met as Seniors in Highschool and got married 3 years later.

4 of my close girlfirends from elementary and into highschool, met their husbands in highschool (3 of the guys had been friends thru elementary) and each of us have been married over 35 years now. We get together as couples as often as we can, but since we no longer live in our hometown, it's not as often as we like!

I didn't meet my husband in high school or college...I was in college, but we met at the grocery store. I just thank my lucky stars that I didn't marry my high school sweetheart.

My parents are high school sweethearts, though and are still married. They were voted cutest couple in high school.:001_wub:

We're an "other".

We met when he was in 6th grade and I was in 8th grade, he was in the same class as my brother and I was in the same class as his brother. Dh was one of my brother's best friends. We didn't run in the same circles and didn't really take notice of each other until after high school when we were both in the same church college & career group. He was 19 and I was 20 when we started dating. We got engaged about 6 mos after we started dating but didn't get married for another year, he wanted to wait til he had a good solid job and was 21, lol! He said he wanted to be old enough to have a glass of wine on our honeymoon. ;)

We'll be married 15 years this coming August. Dh and my brother are still very close friends. :)

I voted "I married somebody I met in high school". I need to clarify this....We didn't go to the same high school. We went to rival high school in the same county. My school was always against his school. I came from the rival school district to the school district I graduated from. I still had a lot of friends from his school. They introduced us and we became high school sweethearts but not attending the same school. :)

Holly (married to this same fella for 20 years and going strong)

Technically, I knew DH when we were 12 and 14, but we didn't really meet until we were 14 and 16, and that's when we started dating. I've been his high school sweetheart, hometown honey, college girlfriend, fiancee, wife, and babymama. And always his best friend. We knew it was the real thing after the first date.

My brother is also married to his high school sweetheart. I realize that we're fairly unusual.

I'm an other. I was in high school when when we started dating but he had already graduated. I've known him since I was 11 when my family moved into the neighborhood. We started dating when I was 16 (he was 19) and married when I was 19. We've been married 25 years. While it has worked for us, I really hope DD won't marry so young.

We met at a church activity when I was 21, he was 25. Married him 4 weeks later. Happily married for 9 years :)

Wow...

I met my DH at church when we both were in college...We became best friends and were best friends for a few years...He was like my brother, I never thought we would get married...Then one day I realized I was in love with him :001_wub:...We have been married for almost 12 years...He is still the greatest guy I know...