Menu

Marriage poll: Just out of curiosity

Whom did you marry?  

1. 1. Whom did you marry?

• I married someone I met in high school.
    • I married someone I met in college.
    • I'm married, but not to anyone I met in high school or college.
    • Not/Never married.

Some high school friends posted on FB that their 20th anniversary was today, so I just was wondering how common it is for high school sweethearts to get married.

I was almost 33 when I got married and it was to someone I worked with, but had never gone to school with.

If you went to high school and college together, vote high school. If you were married to someone from high school or college, but are no longer married to that person, still vote in that category.

Thanks,

I married someone I did not know in high school or college. My brother married someone he started dating when they were 15 (they didn't marry until just before they graduated college, though). My in-laws just celebrated 50 years and they married before high school graduation. :001_smile:

Met my husband the summer after I graduated college...funny thing was, we grew up in the same town and although he was full private schools and I was public, he went to a public school for one single year, that year we both were on the same field trip to the same place and on the same bus (in 5th grade!) Too funny!

We met while in high school, but did not go to school together. DH was homeschooled, we met doing theatre. We went on our first date to my senior prom. We had been friends for over a year and had a large group of friends we had been hanging out with before dating. We married one month after my college graduation. We will celebrate our 11th anniversary in Jan.

Met at university, though he wasn't attending - we met through mutual friends (who DID attend with me).

Most of those mutual friends are just now getting engaged or married (early- to mid-thirties); a few to people they've met at school for advanced degrees, but most to people they've met through family or friends. We're big social networkers LOL. Everyone's a matchmaker :)

We met when I was 15 and he was 16 at church camp over the summer. We lived in different states, stayed in contact, visited each other a few times, and then started really dating in college when we attended together. So I voted High School, although he had a pretty serious girlfriend (not me) for most of it. :001_smile:

And for extra results for you. Of my 2 sibs and I, none of us married anyone we met in school. Of my dh's 2 sibs and him, only 1 married someone they had met in school.. And they had gone to school with the whole way through, actually, not H.S. sweethears though, reconnected on MySpace a couple years after graduation and .... does that count??.

I met my DH on the internet, a random chat room 12 years ago. This was internet dark ages and my friends and family thought I had gone off the deep end when I went on a road trip by myself to meet him in person a few months later, but obviously it worked out. None of the guys I met in high school or college were up to my high standards (and/or, they didn't ask me out). :lol:

Well, I voted college, but only because I met him when I was in college (he wasn't attending). I met him through our mutual college friends.

We started dating at 18yo.

We lived about 6 blocks apart and drove past each others homes constantly.

We had the same set of good friends for several years, but never met.

He dropped out of high school right about the time I started attending that high school, otherwise I am certain we would have met sooner.

I "met" my husband in college, but it wasn't until we reconnected several years after I graduated that we started dating. (He was working on his master's at the time.) A mutual friend commented that the two of us dating caused a major disruption in the space/time continuum. I've always wondered what he thought when we not only married, but reproduced. But I've never had the guts to ask...lol.

Hm. I met dh while HE was still in college. He graduated in May and we were married that October.

When I add this, I'm going to sound like such a floozy....

I was engaged to my hs sweetheart. We met when I was 15. I was also engaged to My ds's father, who I met when I was 16 (but I was 20 when we were engaged.) The first one of those two made much more sense! :tongue_smilie:

I met my DH while I was in high school, I was 15 and he was 18. We didn't go to high school together, but we went to church together. We didn't start dating for a few years, and got married when I was 20. I kind of consider him my "high school sweetheart" because there was never anyone else I was interested in. We've been married for almost 15 years at this point.

It's always interesting to me when people get married later in life. I was such a young, kid really, and I always wonder what it would have been like to live a life first. I truly have no regrets. I married the right man, at the right time, but it's always fun to hear how everyone else's life turned out. :)

Edited by MeAmy

How should I vote? I was a college junior when I met my dh who was in med school on a blind date on April Fool's day. So he wasn't someone I knew at my college ( though we did go to the same one and ended up having mutual friends, but we never met while he was there.)

For that, I would vote college, because you were in college.

I voted high school, but we didn't go to the same school. We met at a church diocesan conference (went to different churches in the same area). We dated of and on, then "went steady" in college, but we were in different colleges, too.

Been married 26+ years.

Just an aside--It's funny when you reach that point of having known your dh longer than you haven't known him. LOL For me that was 12 years ago.