Menu

Middle School science textbook/curriculum

What middle school science text/curriculum do you use?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What middle school science text/curriculum do you use?

• CPO
    • Science Explorer
    • BJU
    • Abeka
    • TOPS
    • AIM
    • Rainbow
    • TWTM
    • Quarks and Quirks
    • OTHER: please state other

We use easy high school text books for our middle school program (and a few great texts that are not true textbooks).

The Way Life Works, Cartoon Guide to Genetics

Tarbuck Earth Science

Conceptual Chemistry, Cartoon Guide to Chemistry

Conceptual Physics, How Things Work

Plus, of course, a science fair project!

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

This year DD is using Prentice-Hall Science Explorer: Focus on Life Science plus the life science chapters out of Singapore My Pals are Here 5/6. Next year, I haven't decided whether to continue on with PHSE or try to tackle Tarbuck's Earth Science. The plan for logic stage chem & physics is Conceptual Chemistry by Suchocki and Conceptual Physics by Hewitt.

This year---Holt Life Science

Next year--- probably CPO Earth Science because I was able to get it on cd free, may do Story of Science (all three volumes) as a history of science read-through as well

8th grade--currently plan the ACS Middle School Chemistry and Thames and Kosmos Physics Workshop for physical science

We are participating in Science Olympiad for the second year and I expect that to continue.

I would like to take a poll of the Middle School Science textbook/Curriculum you use.

*CPO

*Science Explorer

*BJU

*ABEKA

*TOPS

*AIM

*Rainbow

*TWTM

*Quarks and Quirks

*Other, please state your other

Last year was very WTMish, with lots of readings and attempts to keep them writing and outlining. They also did an oceanography quarter with Science 101 Ocean Science (Smithsonian) and the Boy Scout merit badge requirements for Oceanography.

This year we did/will do the Jetstream Online Weather course along with merit badge requirements for Weather and teaching weather hazaards to their troop or to the cub scouts they lead. In the spring we'll start Earth Science with a focus on geology (and with an eye to teaching them the stuff that will lead into AP Environmental Science)

I've liked some of the TOPS units and not others. Science Explorer was useful at lower grades, but is a bit frentic for what I'm looking for heading into highschool. (My personal bias is that lots of sidebars, boxes and multiple font sizes teaches the eye to wander across the page - rewarding distractedness. I prefer a text heavy approach with appropriate diagrams - not just happy snaps to pretty things up.)

My oldest did lots of hands on for 5th, 6th and 7th. She will soon start the self teaching series that SWB recommends for High School as part of her 8th grade science. I just will give her more time.

My 2nd dd did hands on for 5th and so far this year. I am switching her to an Environmental Science text to match topics with my oldest.

My 3rd dd is 5th this year and will continue with hands on.

I have used a huge mix of things each year. I have used CPO, Science Explorer, BJU, and TOPS for reference and for some explorations, but have not worked my way through any of these books in their entirety. And I have used a wide variety of other things, both books and online, as well....

By Quarks and Quirks I'm guessing that you're perhaps referring to a Canadian science program? I haven't used that, but there is a woman here in the US who has a blog of that same name. She has posted ideas for biology and chemistry that I have used.

It has been a number of years since I've previewed Abeka science at any grade level, but the last time I looked I didn't like their content. I can't now recall any particular specifics to give you, sorry....

I attempt to use WTM methods for science study, combining reading, writing about various topics, and lab work, along with some internet research/activities.

We use a huge variety of resources. We just finished Story of Science Aristotle Leads the Way along with GEMS Discovering Density, TOPS Weighing and AIMS Machine Shop and and now we are starting SofS Newton in the Centre with TOPS Analysis (chemistry.) Further along in SofS, we will be doing Stop Faking it Energy, SFI Force and Motion and Interact Skateboard Science to go along with the appropriate chapters. Plus websites, Brainpop, documentaries to go along with whatever topic we are learning about.

I voted OTHER because we, too, use Apologia General Science. Next year for 8th grade I was going to switch dd over to DIVE into Science, but she came completely unglued and told me she LOVES Apologia too much to switch to anything else. So, Apologia it shall remain!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I've got CPO listed in my siggy but we didn't like it. I decided to "design" my own science this year. Using some Usborne Encyclopedias, "Smithsonian Earth", living books, and videos.

I'm considering doing the same in the future, focusing on biology and chemistry in 6th and Physics in 7th. Then switch it up and do History of Science for 8th, adding in appropriate labs when I can. If I do go with a curriculum I'm considering RS4K.

I really like Science Explorer and it worked very well for my two older girls. My youngest hates it. She hasn't found anything else that she likes better though. I have tried CPO for her and she hated it more than Science Explorer.

I think she just hates science in general.

If it makes you feel better my kids informed me that they hate pictures. Too many of them are gross :confused: (Note: I grew up on a farm and helped skin animals, pluck chickens....did all sorts of gross stuff...I can't relate). I am trying to figure out what to do with visual learners that doesn't have pictures. :lol:

Heather

Using WinterPromise Human Body curriculum for 7th + 4th grader here, with a few supplements/tweaks:

7th grader- WP 7th grade Human Body & Forensics grades 7-12 program book list + God's Design- Human Body, DK The Human Body, Blood & Guts, Human Anatomy Coloring Book

4th grader- WP Human Body & Forensics 4/6 program + Human Anatomy coloring book

We don't use textbooks for science until high school level work. They read whole books on whatever topics they want. Some of them have added in Plato Science into the mix. (my 10th grader completed all of Plato's middle school courses in 7th grade and took high school physics in 8th. My current 7th grader spent the 1st part of this yr reading lots of various books and is currently completing Plato's physical science (her choice.) She will be taking Science Shepherd's biology next yr as an 8th grader....again, her choice.)

• 1 month later...

We have not liked any Science Curricula for any grade level thus far.

This year we are working our way through the Chem2000 kit by Kosmos. We like it a lot. It does take a lot of patience, however, we are all learning a lot. From all the projects we do probably once a week some kind of lab report and a sketch. We research things as they come up as. This last week it was how a fire extinguisher works.

In addition to the kit we also read The World of Chemistry by Tiner. We do a lot of research from this as well.

Lastly, we pick up relevant books on the topic and just read.

I suppose what we end up doing is sort of WTMish.

• Like 1

I chose Other as we're more Charlotte Mason at this point than anything else. I have kind of a four-fold approach for ds, who loves science:

1. Living books, supplemented with briefer books (for example, in reading Magic of Reality right now, I'm adding in books on DNA, Mendel, Darwin, etc.) and documentaries/science shows.

2. We're going to tie reading the Story of Science into history. Not planning on using this as a science curriculum - just additional reading.

3. Nature study - we're trying to do more of the weekly Outdoor Hour Challenges.

4. Hands-on experiments of two types - the first kind compliment our current studies, and the second sort are projects that my ds chooses for himself out of one of our (too) many science experiment books.

Kind of a long winded approach, but there you go!

We use easy high school text books for our middle school program (and a few great texts that are not true textbooks).

The Way Life Works, Cartoon Guide to Genetics

Tarbuck Earth Science

Conceptual Chemistry, Cartoon Guide to Chemistry

Conceptual Physics, How Things Work

Plus, of course, a science fair project!

Ruth in NZ

I love this list. :D

I am using Exploration Education Advanced for my kids this year for physical science. Next year we will do biology again and I will be using Thinkwell and The Way Life Works and some other random things that catch my fancy.