Menu

A tea question ...

I dread even asking this but here it goes. DH and I have really gotten into tea lately (lowercase "t"). So far I've just been doing a tea bag in a glass of hot water that I microwaved. I'm interested in getting a kettle and a teapot. What do you recommend and what should I know to get started? The flavors we've liked so far are English Breakfast, Spiced Chai, and Hot Cinnamon. Any recommendations for other teas also? There are a million options out there!

*ahem* Let's at least attempt to keep this clean ladies! I'm talking KITCHEN tea not BEDROOM Tea. :001_smile:

:lol: Sorry. My inner 12yo boy is rearing its ugly head.:lol:

Ok. Seriously now. If I remember correctly, you are somewhere near the KC area. There is a really, really cool tea store in the Crowne Point (I think that is what it is called. The one downtown with the train restaurant) shopping center. Dh and I have found really cool teas there. The owners are really helpful. We purchased teas we had never heard of before on their recommendation and loved them. Take a trip there and ask a million questions.

And yes, I totally laughed like an idiot writing this post.

I like using an electric kettle: http://www.target.com/p/Aroma-1-5L-X-Press-Stainless-Steel-Water-Kettle-AWK-115S/-/A-10448210#?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM=%7C10448210&CPNG=kitchen&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10448210

and then a thermos type dispenser that we fill up with heated water in the morning to make individual cups of tea throughout the day. This link isn't the same dispenser I have but same idea: http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/product_page_multiple.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524892554047&pfx=pfx_shopcompare&cid=shopping3&mr:trackingCode=B3EB6BB3-76B7-DE11-93DB-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

When we want a pot of tea for when we are all going to sit together and drink the same tea we use a teapot sorta like this: http://www.amazon.com/Brown-Betty-48-Ounce-Teapot/dp/B000GLRFD8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_9

We drape a kitchen towel over it to keep it warm since I don't have a specific tea cozy (sort of a 'hat' for the tea pot).

HTH

p.s. this is the only tea thread I'd have the nerve to post on!

Stop microwaving the water! Now! It will taste so much better if you use a kettle to boil the water.

Try putting some mint leaves in along with your teabag (just a bog standard bag). Leave the mint to brew a lot longer than the bag. it's very refreshing after you eat.

Not sure if you guys get it over there, but PG Tips is the best day-to-day tea in my opinion.

OMG! Please DON"T microwave your tea water!

Okay, I am a tea geek. I am particular about the kind of water I use to begin with. I don't use tap water to make tea, only filtered water. If you only use water you would otherwise drink to make tea, that is okay.

There is also a real difference in taste when making tea with water that is boiled and water that is microwaved. Please do not mention microwaving your tea water again since it gives me chest pains. The water should come to a rolling boil before you use it.

I don't use a kettle. I use a small pot with a lid. The reason for this is that even the best water will leave a residue over time from boiling and I do not like to drink tea that has been made with water boiled in this residue. Having a small regular pot with a lid allows me to regularly inspect the inside of the pot for residue and to clean it out (by boiling vinegar in the pot) and KNOW that I have gotten all of the residue spots.

I boil fresh water each time I make a cup. I do not reheat the old water. I dump the old water. I am okay with tea bags but prefer if at home to measure my own tea. I let the tea brew at least three to five minutes.

I don't do herbal teas, so I can't comment on those. I do not do flavored teas. I do tea, real tea. There are many varieties of actual tea and they all have different flavors. I do admit to liking chai, but only rarely. Real tea, good tea, doesn't need added flavors or spices. You will have to look around in your area and see if you can find a shop that will let you experiment with the different tastes of real tea (it can get very expensive).

OMG! Please DON"T microwave your tea water!

Please do not mention microwaving your tea water again since it gives me chest pains.

I won't tell you how I make my tea - or I'll give you a full out heart attack!

Ok - yes I will....

1. put tea bag in mug in water (I do use water from our Culligan reverse osmosis if that helps) -

2. zap in microwave for 90 seconds.

3. Let sit for 2-20 minutes...I usually forget about the tea.

4. Reheat in microwave (after removing tea bag, of course.)

Repeat process (steps 2-4) until tea is gone.

I prefer Celestial Seasonings Tummy Tamer tea or Peppermint tea.

:lol:

Edited by A.J. at J.A.

I am a bit picky about tea. I grew up in Kenya, so Kenyan black tea is my preference, but it is pricy to get here. Rose brand tea is a mix of Indian black tea and Kenyan, so I do with that as my cheap resource if I am watching my pennies more.

I don't consider that herbal garbage actual tea.....more like a hot drink with an odd concoction of flavors in it. :D

I would be interested in buying some good quality loose leaf though and will be watching this thread to see if anyone has some suggestions.

Dawn

I am currently in love with Turkish tea from a local restaurant. When I asked why their tea was so distictive, I learned it all has to do with the region/earth minerals - similar to the unique properties of various wine countries.

So why does boiling on the stovetop = better tea than the microwave?

ETA - I have a lovely Simplex copper tea kettle that I use because I like how it looks and the bright, clear whistle. Tea seems to stay hot longer with this method than the microwave which is why I use it, but I haven't noticed a taste difference. Just curious.

Edited by bookfiend

I make tea in my cast iron pot like this one

http://www.amazon.com/HuesNBrews-Cast-12-Ounce-Black-Teapot/dp/B000WL8FBI/ref=pd_sim_k_12

I also have an electric pot to heat the water. I buy loose tea from a shop in Greencastle PA. I like Chai, Roiboos , and green tea. There are a lot of teas to choose from. I like my Roiboos for the afternoon, when I want to avoid caffeine. My oldest loves her chai, and my second dd likes greenteas, but she doesn't like flavors in her green tea. Right now I have some green tea with ginger, which I enjoy.

Have fun learning about tea.

My current favorite tea is Lady Grey.

I love Lady Grey tea!!! I invested in many boxes on sale before I discovered I can't tolerate caffeine at all anymore :(

I'm curious as to why microwaved water is inferior to boiled water too :confused: (I don't own a microwave anyway but am mystified about the difference!)

I dread even asking this but here it goes. DH and I have really gotten into tea lately (lowercase "t"). So far I've just been doing a tea bag in a glass of hot water that I microwaved. I'm interested in getting a kettle and a teapot. What do you recommend and what should I know to get started? The flavors we've liked so far are English Breakfast, Spiced Chai, and Hot Cinnamon. Any recommendations for other teas also? There are a million options out there!

*ahem* Let's at least attempt to keep this clean ladies! I'm talking KITCHEN tea not BEDROOM Tea. :001_smile:

You're doing fine and off to a good start. Unless the water where you live is bad tasting, it's fine to use it. Water is highly important to making tea, but your water might be fine. We have really good water at our kitchen sink that's filtered.

I sometimes microwave the water, but when I really want the "tea experience" and not just a cup of liquid to drink, I use a tea kettle with an inviting, friendly whistle.

Be picky about the sound of your tea kettle's whistle. I had one that sounded like a horn--and that just wasn't right! The next time I bought a tea kettle, I bought two and tried them out at home to make sure I liked the whistle.

English Breakfast Tea is one of my favorites. The brand matters, but I like most brands' English Breakfast Tea. If you like English breakfast, you might also like Irish Breakfast Tea. Darjeeling is also very good. Those are basic black teas. You also mentioned flavored teas, but that goes off on very different tastes. I've had Blackcurrent tea served as the "house tea" at tea rooms. It's a black tea with just a hint of fruit.

Edited by merry gardens
correction: tea kettle, not tea pot.

Let me help you shop!

A water boiler changed our lives. It keeps the water perfect for tea all and you can set the temp for black, green, or white tea. You can put it to 'sleep' at night and it'll be ready in the morning too. We even have a mug-sized French press and use it for making coffee.

4deef3ff.jpg

The trouble with using the water boiler is you ccan bedin to taste it when you are served tea that has been over-boiled or microwaved. I believe the thing dechlorinates the water, but over boiled water tastes weird and flat because of something about the oxygen being all boiled out. I can't remember the science, but I can taste the difference.

For loose teas, you need to strain the leaves. Either get a pot with an insert, or get one of these.

9d08a161.jpg

40d3314d.jpg

I steep Irish breakfast tea for five minutes, but green and white teas only take 1-3 minutes.

I keep a lot of tea on hand, but the most used selections are:

Irish breakfast

Earl grey

Oolong

Jasmine green tea

Chai

Pomegranate white

Chamomile or fruity herbals for evening

You must quit microwaving this instant. :ack2:

I like using an electric kettle. It boils water much faster than boiling it on the stove, and you can set it anywhere in your house, not just next to the stove.

I prefer loose tea over tea bags. The exception is if you make your tea in a pot; for some reason, tea, even tea made with tea bags, tastes better if you make it in a pot. But for goodness' sake, when you're finished brewing your tea, take the tea bag out. Thank you. :D

Anyway, if you use loose tea, you'll need an infuser of some kind. I prefer some sort of fine mesh instead of a ceramic one with holes in it (some pretty mugs come with their own infusers like that). There's one called "The People's Brew Basket," which will fit in most mugs and teapots.

Whole Foods and Cost Plus have ceramic teapots that come with their own diffusers. Some of the teapots are just right for one or two cups, some are larger. And they're not expensive.

You can find Bodum teapots in many stores. They're not fancy-schmancy ceramic teapots, lol, but they do work well. :-)

My favorite on-line source for tea is Glenbrook Farms. I love all the teas I've gotten from there. Also, if you can find it, Lipton makes a loose tea that's pretty good, and it's inexpensive to boot. Someone gave me a pricey loose tea last month, and I couldn't tell the difference between it and the Lipton.

Here's something that's on my Amazon wish list: Russel Hobbs Electric Tea Kettle with Keep Warm Tray.

I add milk to my hot tea. No lemon, please. Lemon is for iced tea. :D

The best tea I've had starts with really good water. If your water doesn't taste good or is too hard (no jokes about too hard and Tea - wink wink nudge nudge say no more), then you might try getting one of those carafe that is a water filter.

One two quite ordinary teas that I really like are Earl Grey and Constant Comment.

Also I saw some very interesting Tea diffuser at Krogers of all places the other day, but I was too short on time look at it properly.

Also if you have an awesome cup it makes the tea taste better (honest). My awesome cup is from the Globe Theatre, London.

I use an electric kettle (Hamilton Beach- from Costco, and it's RED). I know you're not supposed to reuse the water, but I put about a day's worth of water in there in the morning and reboil it for the 3-4 cups I have for the day. I usually start with new water in the morning, from the built in filter in the fridge.

I've grown to love loose tea, but I'm drinking Irish Breakfast in bags from Trader Joe's right now because I haven't been able to get to the "tea place" for decaf loose tea. I'm currently off caffeine to help with mood swings.

For Christmas, I bought myself a teapot from Harney.com It's enough for 2 cups. I also bought some loose decaf tea, and something herbal to try (they sell 3-4 cup samples for $2). My kids like tea, too. Right now we have some Good Earth Caffeine Free that I got from Costco. I like that it manages to taste sort of sweet without any sugar. It's good hot or iced. My older son likes spicy teas (like the good earth, and most chai spiced teas). My younger son doesn't - his favorite is either chamomile or chamomile and lavender. My husband doesn't really drink warm drinks.

That water boiler sounds SO cool. What brand is it?

Zojirushi! A friend calls it my Zojirushi Maru (Trekky joke :glare:). You can get them at Teavana, but they're less everywhere else. If you have an Asian market nearby you're all set. Amazon probably has them.

p.s. If it helps justify the cost, you can use it for instant oatmeal, or you can dump the water into a pot and get your pasta ready sooner. I've been known to use the water to preheat serving dishes. Also, if some weirdo wants coffee you can just keep the coffee singles on hand for them.

Edited by KungFuPanda

I didn't read through the whole thread but first things first. I :lol::lol::lol: at the OP! Yes, I'm a well trained poster who knows when I see the word "tea", somethings brewin'! ;)

Now for business. I love my electric tea kettle. It serves us not just for boiling-water-tea but for other boiling-water times as well. L.O.V.E. I.T. My favorite tea is Impra Extra. It's from Sri Lanka, comes in a red packet. I usually find it in Russian markets. You can buy it online as well. I like it because unlike other black teas, it doesn't leave a dry taste on the tongue. It's about the only black tea I will drink and my tea snob friends know this. I carry it in my purse just so that when "tea time" arrives at a friend's house, I can enjoy it. :D

I don't have a teakettle. I boil fresh tap water in a small pan on the stove. It's perfect for making tea when it starts to make noise, before it has actually boiled.

I have tried to get into the loose tea vs teabags quality difference - everything I read says that teabags are made from the leftovers on the floor of the sorting room - the lowest quality stuff. So I have tried good loose tea made in a diffuser...honestly I can't tell the difference. I suppose I fail the tea snob test :tongue_smilie: For me, teabags are so much easier and I like the results.

My favorite morning tea is PG Tips, made very strong, with unsweetened soymilk. For something sweet, I like Stash Double Spice Chai with honey and unsweetened soymilk (IMO the taste of dairy milk ruins the tea.) For something delicate, I like jasmine tea. I would look through the Stash catalog for fun and to get some ideas. Republic of Tea also makes good teabags.

Herbal teas or tea with a lot of stuff in it besides tea leaves are a different arena completely. There are some I drink/use. I avoid tea-like blends that contain artificial flavors. For herbal teas that I am using for their effects, I like to buy those from Mountain Rose. Everything I have tried has been really good. I have also used Traditional Medicinals single herb teas...some of those taste okay and some bleh. The Mtn Rose teas are all blended herbs and taste really nice.

Edited by laundrycrisis

I won't tell you how I make my tea - or I'll give you a full out heart attack!

Ok - yes I will....

1. put tea bag in mug in water (I do use water from our Culligan reverse osmosis if that helps) -

2. zap in microwave for 90 seconds.

3. Let sit for 2-20 minutes...I usually forget about the tea.

4. Reheat in microwave (after removing tea bag, of course.)

Repeat process (steps 2-4) until tea is gone.

I prefer Celestial Seasonings Tummy Tamer tea or Peppermint tea.

:lol:

You have killed Rainefox. She hasn't posted again. R.I.P. Rainefox...

Anyway, I should have known I am way too immature to read this thread. I can't stop giggling.

Thanks for all the great information! I love seeing all the ideas on here and right in time for Christmas. Think I'll send DH a link to this thread and mention I'd like tea stuff for Christmas.

Keep the good ideas coming.

PS Poor Raine. I'm so sorry for all the heartache we've caused you. I'll never microwave water again. :grouphug: :001_smile:

I would be interested in buying some good quality loose leaf though and will be watching this thread to see if anyone has some suggestions.

My husband is the tea drinker in our house. His favorite loose teas are

Murchie's No. 10 blend

and Earl Grey from the San Francisco Herb Company.

This thread has some other suggestions.

Regards,

Kareni

Zojirushi! A friend calls it my Zojirushi Maru (Trekky joke :glare:). You can get them at Teavana, but they're less everywhere else. If you have an Asian market nearby you're all set. Amazon probably has them.

p.s. If it helps justify the cost, you can use it for instant oatmeal, or you can dump the water into a pot and get your pasta ready sooner. I've been known to use the water to preheat serving dishes. Also, if some weirdo wants coffee you can just keep the coffee singles on hand for them.

:lol::lol::lol: