Menu

How do you respond to this argument?

I can absolutely guarantee you that certification to teach is no proof of competency in any given situation.

Somehow, people have managed to teach their children long before there were public schools or experts. For example, the literacy rate in colonial America was extremely high, and yet The Federalist Papers and The Anti-Federalist Papers were essays published in newspapers--read by the average citizen. By today's standards, these texts are very dense reading. Yet many members of the reading public at this point in time were educated at home.

In my spare time--which is minimal these days--I'm reading a book by Richard Mitchell called The Graves of Academe. The author, a professor of English (and also the classics) makes some excellent arguments about teacher's education programs and competency.

Edited by Michelle in MO

"If brain surgery becomes mandatory and everyone gets the same one regardless of need, I might start."

:lol::lol::lol:

1. I was taught by the "experts". I wasn't impressed then as a student, and I'm not impressed with them now. I spent four years providing computer phone support to these people. I have a unique perspective of how their minds work.

2. Even the best teacher is crippled by the system that doesn't work well enough to meet my standards. IMO the people who perpetuate the system aren't, ummmm.... the best thinkers.

3. Frankly I know I am smarter than many of the so-called experts, and I'm also better at teaching. (Yes, that's arrogant. I. Don't. Care. It's true.)

Usually such a gross display of arrogance shuts up the person who has exercised poor enough judgement to bring this up with me. If it's not yet enough, I spew about my engineering degree and the fact that I had to learn math from scratch, in college, (and that was no picnic, thanks very much) due to the sh*t job the school system did with it. So they will not get a chance to shortchange my kids.

Edited by laundrycrisis

Haven't read the rest of the replies but...I kinda laughed at the question.

I would say, "Yes, I actually did represent myself in court...well, my husband represented himself in court (at our state Supreme Court) while I wrote all the depositions for him and we won the case. So, yes, I am perfectly qualified to figure out how to do pretty much anything anyone else can do."

No one has ever said that to me. If they did, here's my answer:

"I've represented myself against the IRS, which is arguably equivalent to/more trecherous than court. They paid out in five figures."

"I've never needed brain surgery. However, I did need minor foot surgery on a holiday weekend at the shore. I did it myself. My medical friends later gave me new scalpels. No one was horrified that I did it. So, what is it that you do again that sits in such judgement of me teaching my children?"

My hat's off to you!! They are a treacherous lot.

I went through teacher training for secondary education in mathematics. The MAIN teacher training was being a student teacher for a semester, observing two classes for a semester, and tutoring a kid for a semester. Everything else was theory (and a lot of talking about classroom management). So, professional teachers pretty much learn most of what they learn with on the job training. How do homeschooling moms learn to teach their children? On the job training! But they already have a head start because they actually KNOW their students.

BEth

When someone says, "You wouldn't do brain surgery yourself or represent yourself in court, so why are you teaching your kids? Why don't you leave it to the experts?"

That is a non sequiteur, because children's learning is in no way analogous to brain surgery or a court case. The human brain is naturally wired to learn, and kids will learn no matter what you do. Any system of education simply seeks to facilitate and steer the learning in a desirable direction. To assume that a child needs a professional teacher in order to learn is like assuming that you need a brain surgeon to assist with a natural brain process, such as falling asleep. It's like assuming you need a mechanic to open your car door, or assuming you need a proctologist to visit the bathroom.

Something like the above would be my answer if you asked me what I thought of the given argument. My actual response would depend on the context and the person who said it, because I don't have the time or inclination to answer every single person seriously.

:iagree::lol::lol::lol:"You crack me up.":lol::lol::lol:

Never get into a debate with crazy.

I've been know to suffer hearing loss in these situations too. "Could you repeat that?"...Wash, rinse and repeat.

I'd just laugh, and call the person "such a card". I'd add "you really do crack me up! I've never heard that one before. I'll have to tell my homeschooling buddies that one, hahahahahaha." And then ask them where they got that smashing sweater.
Edited by Tammyla

When someone says, "You wouldn't do brain surgery yourself or represent yourself in court, so why are you teaching your kids? Why don't you leave it to the experts?"

:confused:

So if your kid has a headache, do you take him to a brain surgeon? Or do you see if he has a fever, ask if he needs water, think about when he last ate or let him take a nap?

It is a false analogy.

If I were being snarky, I might ask why so many school districts will not employ people with math and science degrees who do not have education degrees. Or why they do employ people with education degrees who aren't necessarily expert in the courses they teach.

I had a writing teacher once who met a dr at a party. He smiled broadly when she mentioned her profession. He liked to write in his spare time. She snarked back that she liked to perform surgery in her spare time & then went on to lecture him about the finer points of her education & practice.

I felt sorry for her.

I've only read the 1st p so far, but if someone said this to me, I'd ask to meet their chef & driver. It would have to be a difficult & exotic life to have a professional do everything for you! ;)

When I face this argument, it is typically NOT about what most of you wrote on this thread, actually. I think we need to distinguish two things - one, *pedagogical competences* and two, *subject matter expertise*.

I have actually met VERY few people who disagree with homeschooling based on the (perceived) lack of pedagogical competences on the side of the parent. Really, I hardly met anyone who seriously thinks that the real reason why parents should not homeschool is the lack of subjects on methodical and didactic approaches, class / crowd management, or even educational psychology and things of the kind which are, in addition to teaching observation and practice, typically covered as a part of education degrees.

HOWEVER, I have met a LOT of people who disagree with homeschooling based on the lack of subject matter expertise of the parent, i.e. "What are your qualifications to teach or to grade Physics / French / Literature / whatever? Do you have a degree, a formal proof that you know the material itself to present it, explain it, and, consequently, to estimate other people's knowledge?". In fact I used to be one of those people ;), and while with time I became more lenient in my attitude, I still believe that the independent outside assessment of student knowledge is often the best choice for homeschooling parents (i.e. using an umbrella, hiring a subject matter expert to administer the exam and sign the grade, taking yearly exams at a school, whatever). The problem? In reality, many (most?) people who teach at (American) schools are NOT subject matter experts, but hold general education degrees with a particular focus. It is one thing to be taught Physics by a Physics engineer who had a few additional teaching subjects to be able to teach (such is the situation in most of Europe, from what I know), and to be taught Physics by a general education graduate with a sort of vague science focus.

So, in that respect, most homeschoolers are actually not doing considerably worse expertise-wise than what most children would receive at school anyway, since the subject matter expertise is limited. Now, I find that the whole system should be revamped and europeized, of course (:lol:), but meanwhile - in spite of all the arguments we had about this on these boards - I am actually finding it hard to be overly critical to homeschoolers in the US.

If you like to argue, you may respond something along these lines.

Never heard that one. But, most people don't make comments to me about homeschooling. I must seem unapproachable. Off the top of my head...

I've never been trained as a surgeon or a lawyer but, I have received 13 years of public school education. If 13 years in a public school left me so bereft of knowledge that I can't teach a second grader (especially with all of the help that is available to homeschoolers), then why would I send my second grader to public school.

When I face this argument, it is typically NOT about what most of you wrote on this thread, actually. I think we need to distinguish two things - one, *pedagogical competences* and two, *subject matter expertise*.

I have actually met VERY few people who disagree with homeschooling based on the (perceived) lack of pedagogical competences on the side of the parent. Really, I hardly met anyone who seriously thinks that the real reason why parents should not homeschool is the lack of subjects on methodical and didactic approaches, class / crowd management, or even educational psychology and things of the kind which are, in addition to teaching observation and practice, typically covered as a part of education degrees.

HOWEVER, I have met a LOT of people who disagree with homeschooling based on the lack of subject matter expertise of the parent, i.e. "What are your qualifications to teach or to grade Physics / French / Literature / whatever? Do you have a degree, a formal proof that you know the material itself to present it, explain it, and, consequently, to estimate other people's knowledge?".

If you like to argue, you may respond something along these lines.

Great insight! And I think in the instance given by the OP, it applies perfectly. In my experience, howver, the people who have questioned my ability to teach my own kids are really questioning my pedagogy. It's not about education from an academic pov; it's a question about the philosophy of child rearing/education that is in question.

Either way,EM, your insight is appreciated!

I teach my kids because it isn't brain surgery. I went to school and learned all the things (mostly, my public school education was part of the reason I want better for my kids) I need to teach my kids. I graduated from public school, which means I should know the information, right? If I had gone to school to learn brain surgery I would feel qualified to teach that as well (just like all the professors who do teach it). And, I am an expert on my kids. I know them better than anyone else and can determine the best way to teach them.

And, the "experts" are not so expert and are failing, badly.

In my experience, howver, the people who have questioned my ability to teach my own kids are really questioning my pedagogy. It's not about education from an academic pov; it's a question about the philosophy of child rearing/education that is in question.

:001_huh: Weird. I am not sure I ever faced with such an accusation. So they really think that the real reason why homeschooling is problematic are didactic and not academic reasons? Wow.

LOTS of great curriculum out there, and a teacher (mom) who cares more for them than anyone else possibly could are two of the reasons. Honestly, I'm the best "expert" for my kids. Nobody knows them like I do.

NEXT!!!

:leaving:

:001_huh: Weird. I am not sure I ever faced with such an accusation. So they really think that the real reason why homeschooling is problematic are didactic and not academic reasons? Wow.

Yes, this is also my experience.

I would dearly love for someone to question my homeschool based on their doubt of my own mastery of academic material, but I don't expect that to happen in my lifetime. I don't think anyone truly cares about the academic material.

As a matter of fact, this complete lack of curiosity about academic material is the greatest proof of all that American schools exist only for social engineering, in my opinion. John Taylor Gatto was right about the hidden curriculum of public school.

Nobody ever talks about what the children are actually learning, whether at home or in public school! I have asked ps parents what their children are studying, and they have no idea. I have asked ps teachers to have a conversation with me about how they teach children to read, or how they teach geography. These have been very unsatisfying conversations, because all I ever hear are recitations in 'educationese' about standards and NCLB, modern theories, whole language, basal readers, and so on. And they don't teach geography except in multi-cultural studies classes, which have taken the place of foreign language instruction.

Public school teachers who have questioned my abilities are concerned that I won't properly interpret the state's academic standards or that I won't understand how to grade and evaluate my child's work. They never ask if I have a firm grasp of arithmetic, if I've ever taught a child to read, or what is the extent of my education in History, Science, or Literature. Never.

After I satisfy their concerns about classroom management (!) and grade-keeping, they are sure that my children are missing out on group projects and socialization. They don't worry that my children might be missing out on excellent academic instruction, because that is not their business.

These have been very unsatisfying conversations, because all I ever hear are recitations in 'educationese' about standards and NCLB, modern theories, whole language, basal readers, and so on. And they don't teach geography except in multi-cultural studies classes, which have taken the place of foreign language instruction.

facepal.gif

Public school teachers who have questioned my abilities are concerned that I won't properly interpret the state's academic standards or that I won't understand how to grade and evaluate my child's work. They never ask if I have a firm grasp of arithmetic, if I've ever taught a child to read, or what is the extent of my education in History, Science, or Literature. Never.

facepal.giffacepal.gif

They don't worry that my children might be missing out on excellent academic instruction, because that is not their business.

facepal.giffacepal.giffacepal.gif

I specifically searched for a facepalm emoticon to be able to post it next to your experiences.

I would dearly love for someone to question my homeschool based on their doubt of my own mastery of academic material, but I don't expect that to happen in my lifetime. I don't think anyone truly cares about the academic material.

As a matter of fact, this complete lack of curiosity about academic material is the greatest proof of all that American schools exist only for social engineering, in my opinion. John Taylor Gatto was right about the hidden curriculum of public school.

Nobody ever talks about what the children are actually learning, whether at home or in public school! I have asked ps parents what their children are studying, and they have no idea. I have asked ps teachers to have a conversation with me about how they teach children to read, or how they teach geography. These have been very unsatisfying conversations, because all I ever hear are recitations in 'educationese' about standards and NCLB, modern theories, whole language, basal readers, and so on. And they don't teach geography except in multi-cultural studies classes, which have taken the place of foreign language instruction.

After I satisfy their concerns about classroom management (!) and grade-keeping, they are sure that my children are missing out on group projects and socialization. They don't worry that my children might be missing out on excellent academic instruction, because that is not their business.

:iagree: Yes! ..... Yes! ..... and Yes!!!!

Unbelievable, isn't it! :tongue_smilie:

Because we (Classical Homeschoolers) have abandoned "middle man education."

When the curriculum is made of textbooks you do need a teacher who has more expertise because textbooks are shallow, distilled, twaddle. When you use real books written by real experts you cut out the "middle man" who has to make up for substandard materials. At best a textbook can give a simple overview of a topic-nothing like what a person really needs. Great writings by great minds are far better than what any textbook can offer. (Or most kids can get from the typical PS.)

I didn't teach my kids what science is-Richard Feymann and others of his calibur did. I didn't teach my kids economics-Thomas Sowell and others did. See? I took them to the feet of masters. I didn't teach them the history of WWII-Winston Churchill and others who were there did. I didn't teach them political philosophy-Plato and The Founders (in the Federalist Papers) did.

I also don't do the typical "end of chapter" grammar stage/facts questions like most textbooks do even in the later years. I make my children think and find out. They are far more essay type "life application" questions in the later years. My 13 and 15 year olds routinely answer things like:

1. What social, political, and economic conditions generally contribute to the rise of tyrants? Give examples from the 20th century. (Mao, Hitler, Stalin, etc.)

2. How did the rights of the individual in the West evolve from the signing of the Magna Charta to the signing of the US Constitution?

"Experts" like the typical PS teacher wouldn't be doing that with my kids right now. I guess they know better. (sarcasm.)

People who have questioned me inevitably question my memory:

How are you going to teach math? I don't even remember how to multiply fractions.

Do you remember all that science and history we were taught? How are you going to teach chemistry?

As soon as I tell them that I had math through calculus and got As, that I remember math through algebra well, and that I can figure the rest out easily by reading the book aloud to my son, they calm down. They look at me like I have two heads, but they calm down. Then I tell them mine are doing high school chemistry at the community college. LOL Then they feel guilty and list all the reasons why they don't want to homeschool.

The other questions I've gotten are socialization (I tell them mine go to gymnastics or scouts almost every day) and legality and how can I stand being with my children all day. For that last one, I just laugh and tell them I enjoy my children, or that I am very patient.

I've never had anybody question my ability to teach, only our ability to spend so much time together and my knowledge of the subjects. Maybe it is the area where I live?

Nan

After reading responses, especially about teachers, I have a question about the 'expert' knowledge of a teacher. I can graduate from college with a teaching degree that lets me teach pre-Kindergarten through 5th grade. That is an age span of about 4 to 10. There are HUGE differences in those ages. How can I be an expert in any one subject or age when I'm taking classes in such a general range?

I do agree with others who said teaching programs are filled with theory and classroom management. I didn't mind it so much. I found most of it very interesting. But my main complaint is that there were so many different opinions, which makes sense. So if Teacher A uses Method X and Teacher B uses Method Y, are they considered experts in each of their methods simply because they are following their preference?

I won't even go into the class discussion, that took up at least half of the class period, that I had to endure on the subject of whether or not to use stickers in the classroom. I was about to walk out of that class.

After reading responses, especially about teachers, I have a question about the 'expert' knowledge of a teacher. I can graduate from college with a teaching degree that lets me teach pre-Kindergarten through 5th grade. That is an age span of about 4 to 10. There are HUGE differences in those ages. How can I be an expert in any one subject or age when I'm taking classes in such a general range?

I do agree with others who said teaching programs are filled with theory and classroom management. I didn't mind it so much. I found most of it very interesting. But my main complaint is that there were so many different opinions, which makes sense. So if Teacher A uses Method X and Teacher B uses Method Y, are they considered experts in each of their methods simply because they are following their preference?

I won't even go into the class discussion, that took up at least half of the class period, that I had to endure on the subject of whether or not to use stickers in the classroom. I was about to walk out of that class.

Elementary education is typically regarded as a different beast than middle and especially high school education, because it actually does not require specialist knowledge. There are huge age differences, but it is highly unlikely that you will come across something you genuinely do not know or cannot make a quick fix yourself. Even the most complex, "trick" questions dealt with at that stage of education (assuming we are talking about average children) are actually easy peasy for somebody with a good general education (i.e. a high school diploma), so all you really need to learn to teach those ages, in that context, are the methodological stuff, crowd managemend, psychology, etc. With, of course, some supervised practice / teacher observation, and familiarizing yourself with the content of elementary school education / subjects and different methodological flashing out of that content.

The problems begin at middle school level, and by high school you really need a more specialist grasp of what you are doing. It is said that typically you need a one "educational phase of distance" from the person you are tutoring. In other words, to tutor an elementary school child, you effectively need a strong 8th grade diploma / some high school. To tutor a middle school child, you need a high school diploma. To tutor a high school child, you actually need a first academic degree in the discipline as things get much more complex. To teach at an undergraduate level, you need to have an advanced degree, and so forth, until we reach a level where formal qualifications are more or less equal, but practice / active scholarship / etc. makes a difference.

However, what people do not get is that homeschoolers have lots of opportunities for quality outsourcing of areas that they estimate they are weak in or simply do not wish to cover. In many people's minds there is this stereotype that you teach everything to your DC if you homeschool, without any involvement of third parties whatsoever. They just do not get that there are online classes, self-study with occasional tutor use, community colleges, part-time school enrollment, private lessons, and that homeschooling mostly involves a MIX of all of that, rather than "mom does it all and supervises it all". Many parents, on a high school level, are essentially facilitators more than tutors.

When I say experts, I typically refer to academic competences in the field, not methods. To hell with the method if you do not know WHAT you teach, if you cannot answer student questions, if you do not know where to FIND answers you cannot recall immediately - in such a situation, it is so irrelevant whether you are doing ex cathedra work, some kind of group project, whether you approach writing from this or that perspective, etc. Those are *decorations*, not the *essence*, there are many ways of successful teaching - sure, they make a whole lot of a difference for students as it does matter that you can reach them and teach in a way they can understand you, but they are not THE thing that somebody who teaches needs first and foremost.

People who have questioned me inevitably question my memory:

How are you going to teach math? I don't even remember how to multiply fractions.

Do you remember all that science and history we were taught? How are you going to teach chemistry?

As soon as I tell them that I had math through calculus and got As, that I remember math through algebra well, and that I can figure the rest out easily by reading the book aloud to my son, they calm down. They look at me like I have two heads, but they calm down. Then I tell them mine are doing high school chemistry at the community college. LOL Then they feel guilty and list all the reasons why they don't want to homeschool.

The other questions I've gotten are socialization (I tell them mine go to gymnastics or scouts almost every day) and legality and how can I stand being with my children all day. For that last one, I just laugh and tell them I enjoy my children, or that I am very patient.

I've never had anybody question my ability to teach, only our ability to spend so much time together and my knowledge of the subjects. Maybe it is the area where I live?

Nan

I haven't been questioned personally, but many of the questions I've seen asked on the Internet and such have to do with remembering what you learned as a child. This always puzzles me. Sure, you might forget some historical dates here and there, but how can you forget basics that get used over and over? How could you forget how to multiply fractions??

Actually, this afternoon DS9 was playing Stack the States and asked me, "Baton Rouge is the capital of what state?" I answered "Louisiana." My son said, "wow, you are awesome!" I told him, "no, I just have an elementary school education."

(of course, I could also have answered, "how could I have forgotten that episode of the Brady Bunch?"):lol:

Baton Rouge, Cindy, Baton Rouge!

Elementary education is typically regarded as a different beast than middle and especially high school education, because it actually does not require specialist knowledge.

Exactly, which is why it's so puzzling for people to assume all teachers are experts. I didn't even catch the OP's childrens ages. My answer would depend on the grade level of my child. It was very easy for me to teach at the elementary level. It was even easy for me to teach at the middle school level. However, I can totally see why some homeschoolers put their children into school at the high school level. Even using an online program, I feel quite intimidated by the subject matter. I'm a very lucky person to have a DH who is the type of person that knows something about everything (at least it seems that way!) It's amazing to hear him discuss subjects with my son. If left to me, my son would be hearing 'I don't know' all day long. At least I know how to find information, but nothing beats my DH being able to explain things to my son in ways I couldn't even imagine. However, I most certainly agree with others that trying to compare K-12 education to medical or law degrees is dumb.

Actually, this afternoon DS9 was playing Stack the States and asked me, "Baton Rouge is the capital of what state?" I answered "Louisiana." My son said, "wow, you are awesome!" I told him, "no, I just have an elementary school education."

(of course, I could also have answered, "how could I have forgotten that episode of the Brady Bunch?"):lol:

Baton Rouge, Cindy, Baton Rouge!

LOL! Reminds me of the book The Wordy Shipmates. (There was something hilarious in there about kids retaining more information about American history from The Brady Bunch than at school).

Baton Rouge, Louisiana also kicks off Wakko's state capitals song from Animaniacs! That is how I memorized all the capitals.

Oh, wow, this is fantastic!!

I actually had a friend say this to me when I decided to homeschool my kindergartener. I laughed and said, "You do realize you're insinuating that I don't know how to read, right?" I went on to say that I would have to be a pretty horrible homeschool mom to not to do a better job in kinder than a teacher with 24 students. She was appalled and thought there was no way I could come close to the performance of a "trained professional."

Obviously she has never taken a course in the School of Education. I took one upper level course in bulletin boards. seriously.