Menu

How much Screen Time do your kids get daily?

How much Screen Time does your kids get daily?  

1. 1. How much Screen Time does your kids get daily?

• None, never
    • Only on special occasions
    • 1-3x per week (short amount)
    • up to 30 minutes/day
    • 30min-1hr/day
    • 1-2 hours/day
    • 2-3 hours/day
    • 3+ hours/day
    • other

I voted 1-2 hours. My rule is tv, computer is off at 9 am. they aren't allowed on it until dad gets home. Many times, they never go back on. Too busy with evening activities. I will say that my son will sometimes set his alarm at 6 am to get up and do computer games. However, many times I also come down and he has fallen asleep on the couch. :D

Most days, zero or very little. We don't do TV here, and they have kiddy computers, but they don't use them every day at this point. They get some screen time at school and an occasional quick look at the computer screen. And Aunt S lets them watch DVDs on Sundays.

My kids are asking for a "DS" for Christmas. I think I will buy one, but they will have limited time to use it - and they will have to take turns.

For reference, my kids are 4.

It depends on the day of the week, as well as the time of year.

Right now my 12 yo is so busy with school, mowing yards and watering plants for the neighbors, orchestra rehearsal and baseball practice that he has little time for screens on weekdays. He might do a quick check of his facebook page in the evening while I'm getting dinner ready.

Weekends are definitely more relaxed. He plays an hour or so of video games on Friday or Saturday evening, and we are far more likely to watch sports (or something completely mindless) on tv or watch a movie.

My 17 year old has far too much in the way of school, homework and a daily job to have much time for anything other than texting.

When my boys were younger they were allowed an hour of video gaming on weekend days, but we had no set limits on tv.

It really depends. Honestly, at this point I'm not all that strict about it at all. Screens are off between 8:30 and 3:30. And, DS has to start reading at 8 p.m. to get calmed down for bed. Beyond that, he's pretty much free to watch/play when he wants. But, we have one computer and one TV, so he has to share, and he obviously can't be on during dinner. So it probably comes out to 2 hours or so a day of TV and video games, maybe 3 if we watch something together at night.

No screens during the week, but dd(6) can watch DVDs on Saturdays. If we happen to be home and not doing anything more interesting, that is, which means it often works out to zero.*

* All part of my Evil Mommy** plan to get her through childhood WITHOUT frying her brain. :D

** As a true Evil Mommy, I've made this rule a double standard. My favorite movies, such as Spirit of the Marathon (which I am currently obsessing over), are exempt from the "no screens during the week" rule. For example, I have it on now while cleaning up the house and doing dinner.

Edited by Classical Country Mama
To hyperlink the movie in case anyone else needs a new obsession

I voted other. We have no limits on screen time so the time varies. Some days they watch/play for hours straight, sometimes they are busy with a book or project and they don't have any screen time. It all evens out in the end for us.

ETA: I usually make them wait till school is over before screen time.

They get an hour or so during afternoon quiet time but I'm going to stop that in favour of reading or playing in the bedrooms. That's mostly because I need a nap then and they're are loud and active when they're playing video games.

They then watch Space with the DH for a couple of hours in the evening most night. That also generally involves tickling and such.:001_smile:

Saturday is all TV for at least the morning because of cartoons. I remember doing this as a kid. There are probably odd times on Sat and Sun when they play video games as well.

I voted other. We have no limits on screen time so the time varies. Some days they watch/play for hours straight, sometimes they are busy with a book or project and they don't have any screen time. It all evens out in the end for us.

ETA: I usually make them wait till school is over before screen time.

We don't have limits either. It's funny because my nephew has strict limits and when he comes over I'm always struck by the difference between my kids and him. He's one that zones out completely and gets lost in games or even bad commercials on TV while mine are happy to turn the screens off and go to something else.

I don't know if it's the limits that did that or if he has those limits because his parents know he's pone to losing himself in screen time.

Screen time includes computer, video games, tv, movies. Does not include school work.

We go days without any, then spend a day or two (of bad weather, feeling under the weather, sleepover/party, whatever) glued to the screen.

If I had to average it out, I'd guess my six year old is at 10-15 minutes per day. I'd put my 10 year old at roughly 20-30 minutes per day.

We have High Season in the heat of summer and dead of winter when it's too yucky to do anything but sit under the fan (or a thick blanket) and veg on the couch - that lasts 2 to 3 weeks, during which our screen time quadruples LOL.

I voted incorrectly because I didn't read that it didn't count school work. I don't limit it as such, it's just not something they really choose, so maybe once or twice a week they'll ask to watch TV or DS has started to ask to play with the wii sometimes. We don't have the TV on in the morning. DS usually works on the computer for up to an hour as part of his school work and DD2 wants to do her 'work' (starfall) for some of that time.

We don't have limits either. It's funny because my nephew has strict limits and when he comes over I'm always struck by the difference between my kids and him. He's one that zones out completely and gets lost in games or even bad commercials on TV while mine are happy to turn the screens off and go to something else.

I don't know if it's the limits that did that or if he has those limits because his parents know he's pone to losing himself in screen time.

For us it's this. My children lose the power of speech when the television comes on. They are totally and completely sucked in. I think it's genetic because my dh is the same.

I do limit screen time though the limits vary according to the day. Sometimes we don't have any screen time. Sometimes we watch two or three movies.

We have High Season in the heat of summer and dead of winter when it's too yucky to do anything but sit under the fan (or a thick blanket) and veg on the couch - that lasts 2 to 3 weeks, during which our screen time quadruples LOL.

LOL, my first thought was "What time of year is it?" I voted 1-2 because we're coming out of summer, but if you ask me towards the end of the winter, it'd be 2-3 hrs. We love movies, old TV shows and games, but also being outside and playing sports and reading etc. etc.

Probably the thing that everyone will think is so sad, and I guess I do too, is that we read on the porch about 6 months of the year, and yep, I believe that we replace that hour as the weather turns with an extra hour of screen time.

My kids probably watch about 4 hours worth of DVDs a week. The vast majority of that is school-related. For example, they watched a 4-part series on Leonardo da Vinci this week. It was less than 4 hours total.

My kids don't have any other screens and they use the computer for typing and vocabulary work (not more than 30 minutes per school day).

I voted 1-3x a week. A family movie once a week and a family Wii night once or twice a week.

My kids just don't have much interest (lest anyone think our limits will make them crave screens.) They would rather read or listen to the radio or play a game. When dh and I go out, we tell them they can watch a movie, but they usually play Cataan instead.

1-2 hours for most school days. They usually watch in the mornings before I get up. Then there's no TV, no computer (for anyone) until Becca is mostly done with her school work. The last things she does involve the computer (LFC DVDs, TT) and sometimes we use the internet to look up derivatives. But that doesn't count, and then they may get a little time in the evening to play on the computer.

I voted 30min-1hour.

That's average. We have many days when it never comes on, and others where we watch quite a bit (especially if we are sick...).

My younger 2 get more screen time tbh. They take turns with Starfall and pbskids while I'm working with ds8.

I like to watch a good documentary or TV version of a book we've read a few times per month.

It'll be interesting to see how this winter pans out...we are in a tiny apt this year and live in the "Snowbelt"...no backyard to send my little snow-angels to play in this year.:glare: That means *I* will have to brave the cold with them.:svengo: That may result in more screen time...hmmm...I need find more good enriching programs...

I don't limit or time how long they're watching TV, but I'd say it's about an hour a day. My older two will sometimes watch a two-hour episode of American Idol or something, but the younger two never sit in front of the TV for more than half an hour.

Video games are only for when friends are over, so maybe an hour a week.

And, my oldest is the only one who uses the computer, and never for more than half an hour per day.

This is a hard question for me to answer.

Disclaimer: I don't think of "screen time" as necessarily a bad thing. I really do believe content makes a huge difference. I have restricted content, but not quantity. However, I have on occasion cut them off when there is a quantity of mediocre (though not banned) quality going on, or when it is a gorgeous day outside.

School: My kids do a lot of schoolwork on the computer for their ages (6 and 9). They do math (Teaching Textbooks, but I have them write in the workbook too), so there's 30-60 minutes. They do Xtramath and/or Math Rider - that brings them up to 90.

A "free choice" activity for them during school time is to use touch-typing software on their computer or additional Math Rider as well. So figure, 2 hours some days, for school. But do you count that?

Schoolwork aside:

TV: My kids can only watched pre-approved, recorded DVR shows. They went through phases where they'd watch 10 episodes of Kim Possible or Phineas and Ferb back-to-back. They have a ridiculous number of movies on DVD that were gifted to us by neighbors, grandparents, etc, and I never restricted it as long as they were approved DVDs. They used to watch a ton.

They are kind of "over it" now and RARELY watch TV. If they do, they watch with their father for "snuggle time" in the evening, 2-3 times a week. Maybe 1 hour of something real-life based like "How It's Made", "Top Shot" or "Mythbusters". I almost consider that educational. Really, fluff TV time is virtually at zero now, not through any doing of mine, I assure you, unless letting them watch approved DVRed television unchecked was a sound TV-weaning strategy (it wasn't intended to be.)

Computer/Gaming: My kids also have a Playstation3 they share, and they each have a DS. One uses both in complete moderation without any guidelines. Even when she does use it (like her DS) it is usually to make animations or take photos or play with the sound functions, not to game.

The other (the younger one) is a gamer to her core and would play games nonstop, every day, all day, if I let her. Her favorites include Club Penguin (I periodically get her 1-month memberships to reward good behavior), Bella Sara web site, Little Big Planet on PS3, and her assortment of DS games.

These are all approved games, though some are utter time-wasters. My deal is that she cannot freely play games before 3 pm on school days. Occasionally, as a treat, I will let her do something mildly educational like BrainAge on the DS before 3 pm (and after that, many days there is an activity in the evening). On the weekend I pretty much play as much as she wants.

Fortunately, this child will also pretty rapidly abandon the games if she's presented with an opportunity for a craft, outing, or social activity - or even if she is recruited into some sort of play scenario with her sister.

Anyways, the bottom line: not counting school work, I'd say I have a 9 yr old that engages in less than 1 hour a day on average, and a 6 yr old that is easily playing computer games 3-4 hours a day on average.

Edited by zenjenn

This is a hard question for me to answer.

Disclaimer: I don't think of "screen time" as necessarily a bad thing. I really do believe content makes a huge difference. I have restricted content, but not quantity. However, I have on occasion cut them off when there is a quantity of mediocre (though not banned) quality going on, or when it is a gorgeous day outside.

School: My kids do a lot of schoolwork on the computer for their ages (6 and 9). They do math (Teaching Textbooks, but I have them write in the workbook too), so there's 30-60 minutes. They do Xtramath and/or Math Rider - that brings them up to 90.

A "free choice" activity for them during school time is to use touch-typing software on their computer or additional Math Rider as well. So figure, 2 hours some days, for school. But do you count that?

Schoolwork aside:

TV: My kids can only watched pre-approved, recorded DVR shows. They went through phases where they'd watch 10 episodes of Kim Possible or Phineas and Ferb back-to-back. They have a ridiculous number of movies on DVD that were gifted to us by neighbors, grandparents, etc, and I never restricted it as long as they were approved DVDs. They used to watch a ton.

They are kind of "over it" now and RARELY watch TV. If they do, they watch with their father for "snuggle time" in the evening, 2-3 times a week. Maybe 1 hour of something real-life based like "How It's Made", "Top Shot" or "Mythbusters". I almost consider that educational. Really, fluff TV time is virtually at zero now, not through any doing of mine, I assure you, unless letting them watch approved DVRed television unchecked was a sound TV-weaning strategy (it wasn't intended to be.)

Computer/Gaming: My kids also have a Playstation3 they share, and they each have a DS. One uses both in complete moderation without any guidelines. Even when she does use it (like her DS) it is usually to make animations or take photos or play with the sound functions, not to game.

The other (the younger one) is a gamer to her core and would play games nonstop, every day, all day, if I let her. Her favorites include Club Penguin (I periodically get her 1-month memberships to reward good behavior), Bella Sara web site, Little Big Planet on PS3, and her assortment of DS games.

These are all approved games, though some are utter time-wasters. My deal is that she cannot freely play games before 3 pm on school days. Occasionally, as a treat, I will let her do something mildly educational like BrainAge on the DS before 3 pm (and after that, many days there is an activity in the evening). On the weekend I pretty much play as much as she wants.

Fortunately, this child will also pretty rapidly abandon the games if she's presented with an opportunity for a craft, outing, or social activity - or even if she is recruited into some sort of play scenario with her sister.

Anyways, the bottom line: not counting school work, I'd say I have a 9 yr old that engages in less than 1 hour a day on average, and a 6 yr old that is easily playing computer games 3-4 hours a day on average.

This. We watch carefully selected shows and games. We have the tv on a lot. I need the noise. They play legos with Busytown Mysteries or Blues Clues playing. Some days we turn on music instead. My son loves Wordjong on Wii. It has greatly I.creased his spelling abilities.

If kids veg out in front of the tv everyday, then it is bad. Do I think my kids watch too much tv....sometimes....but when it is 115 degrees outside and and the ac can't keep up....there is a lot of tv ;)

Mine are all teens. If their homework is completed and chores are done, their free time theirs to use as they see fit. No limits.

Same here.... with "no limits", they actually watch less frivolous tv and spend less time doing mindless things on the computer than when they had limits. During the first couple of weeks of "no limits", it was excessive but we let it play out, and all was good. Better, actually.

I voted two or three hours.

I'm talking only about my 13 year old there. My 16 year old pretty much watches what she wants nowadays. And she often has something running on her computer while she's doing other things. I wouldn't want to add up how many hours she's looking at the screen.

My son is not allowed TV or computer games until he's done with his schoolwork each day. The exception to that rule is if he's watching something educational/related to his studies over lunch. But, most of his screen time is in the evenings.

He's a busy guy, with dance classes and choir rehearsals and voice lessons all kinds of other activities. So, usually, he's not watching a screen until 7:00 or 8:00. At that point, he'll sometimes watch a movie or a couple of episodes of something on DVD or from the DVR with us. Or, if we're not watching anything he likes, he might play on the computer for a couple of hours.

Some nights, he doesn't get home earlier enough to watch anything. And he'll often spend more time watching or playing on weekend afternoons. But, over all, I'd guess an average of two or three hours a day is pretty accurate.

They self-regulate. It's common for there to be weeks that the TV doesn't go on, but then one day, they'll start a marathon of a particular movie series or TV show, and for a few days, they'll watch a few hours a day.

Same with the computer and the Wii ... they'll not touch it for two, three weeks (well, the older two usually check email, and the oldest takes online classes), and then they'll get into some game, and it will be on a lot for a few days.

I'd say it averages to about an hour a day, but over 2 weeks, that would probably look like 12 days with no TV and 2 days with 7 hours.

Both of mine tend to spend a good couple of hours every day on the computer, non-school related. Some of it is fairly productive (such as role playing and writing to prompts, playing word games), some of it is not (silly games, Facebook, shooters with dad).

That's definitely where most of their screen time comes from, along with occasional bouts of Wii. We usually have one tv show we like to watch together (right now it's The Sing-Off), and watch movies two or three times a month.