Menu

Would this annoy you?

I'm not sure. I think it might. I'm not much of a phone person, though, so very few people have my cell number and my phone rarely rings. I do not, however, answer other people's cell phones--unless asked. I rarely even answer for dh since his phone is mostly for work-related calls.

Yes, I think it's the height of rudeness and invasiveness. And not just because my MIL did it to me once, lol! But that was many years ago and I asked her not to and she hasn't since.

On the other hand, I think some people do spaz out about not missing calls and not really realize there is voicemail and caller id... that was the case with my MIL. She didn't mean to be openly rude.

Hopefully that is the case with your phone answerer and a simple request not to do it again will end the problem.

I wouldn't be bothered if it was someone my kids/husband knew and was willing to talk to on their own until I could become available. Or if the answerer was capable and willing to take a proper message if I shouted from the other room that I'm not readily available and would return the call later.

I'd be mildly annoyed if someone answered a call from a number or contact they didn't personally know ... but that's more because I actively try to avoid some people, and that's usually who's calling LOL. It's not because I mind people answering my phone per se.

Growing up, we were never to do that. I think my personality is just more relaxed in that this doesn't phase me much. I don't care if anyone borrows my things or opens my mail, either, without explicit permission -- so long as they put it back where it belongs so I can find it, I'm good.

Hmmm...well, I was trying to decide if I was justified in my momentary feelings of irritation. This was my MIL, it was my cell phone, and she rummaged through my purse to find it and answer it. I was only upstairs and she did not ask if she should get it for me. :glare: I prefer that others don't answer my phone, because if there's a message I need to get, the important parts always seem to get lost in translation. So I was a tad miffed, but I was wondering if that was just an overreaction on my part.

Around here, it would be considered weird if anyone but me, dh, or children answered. I can imagine a lot of scenarios where it would happen and be fine or expected. For the most part, a friend would just say, "Your phone is ringing?" and either wait for me to respond or ask if I needed someone else to pick up.

It would bother me if they didn't holler "Should I get that?" first. Answering without permission would bother me. Then again, if they answered my house phone, I would not be ok with that either. There are a lot of phone calls that I ignore because I don't want to talk to them.

:iagree:

It drives me nuts when people answer my phone--cell phone or home phone. For one thing, I still get tons of telemarketing phone calls despite being put on the do not call list. Secondly, I have a few people who call me who clearly do not understand the words, "This is not a good time." In those cases, I don't answer the phone when their caller ID info comes up unless I have time to talk for as long as I know they always wish to talk (since apparently they think it is the height of rudeness for me to say it's not a good time and ask if I can call back).

Hmmm...well, I was trying to decide if I was justified in my momentary feelings of irritation. This was my MIL, it was my cell phone, and she rummaged through my purse to find it and answer it. I was only upstairs and she did not ask if she should get it for me. :glare: I prefer that others don't answer my phone, because if there's a message I need to get, the important parts always seem to get lost in translation. So I was a tad miffed, but I was wondering if that was just an overreaction on my part.

That's two invasions, in my book. She answered your phone AND rifled through your purse?! The purse is more sacred than the phone. :lol:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

No. I don't see it any differently as anyone of us answering the land line. I seriously cannot think of a single thing that would seem intrusive. If someone was calling to talk about something personal with me, I am fairly certain they wouldn't relay that specific information through the person taking the message. I would expect someone to tell me that so-and-so called and wants you to call him/her back. Or maybe my life is just utterly boring. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: See what happens when you read too fast? I thought the parentheses was specifically saying it would be your DH or your children answering the phone. But someone not related to me? That would be utterly bizarre. Does that really happen??

Edited by Night Elf

Your MIL went into your purse to find the phone then answered it? Oh my gosh, that would annoy me! I think you should have the right to whack her over the head with the purse. Oops, sorry. I think my own angst regarding my MIL has crept into my answer. :P

:iagree: I think I could handle anyone but my MIL going into my purse.

Yeah, that would have annoyed me too. Our house phone is up for grabs, but my cell phone is my direct-to-me-personal line. I only give it out to people I'm close to or to people I need to reach me like doctors, etc.

Barb

ETA: I also get flustered when I call someone's cell and another person answers it. I called my daughter the other day and one of her guy-friends answered and that completely confused me, LOL

Yes, it would bother me a great deal but then it bothers me when my mil answers my house phone when she is babysitting. It's an invasion of privacy and people should mind their own business.

ETA: LOL, I just read the rest of the replies after I posted and saw your update that your issue was your mil....

If you are momentarily unavailable and not in the same room as your cell phone when it rang, would it bother you if someone else (not your dh or one of your kids) answered it without being asked to?

If I'm unavailable, I'd prefer it to go to voicemail. If I couldn't get to it in time, I wouldn't mind if someone answered it.

No, I'd be mad.

Your MIL went into your purse to find the phone then answered it? Oh my gosh, that would annoy me! I think you should have the right to whack her over the head with the purse. Oops, sorry. I think my own angst regarding my MIL has crept into my answer. :P

:iagree:She invaded your privacy x2. Wolf doesn't go through my purse...if his mother did, I'd be sorely tempted to whack her with it.

Oh my. Where is that fainting smiley?

I think dh was trained as a young child to think a sanitary pad with wings is going to fly out and bite him if he opens a woman's purse. In over 2 decades, he has never willingly opened a purse. Even if I tell him to open it and get something for me. He won't. He will bring it to me and tilt it so I can unzip it and dig for myself while he holds it. He won't open our daughter's purse either. I think he might have been traumatized by a purse as a toddler or something. LOL

Your mil was way across the social boundary on this one.

I think dh was trained as a young child to think a sanitary pad with wings is going to fly out and bite him if he opens a woman's purse. In over 2 decades, he has never willingly opened a purse. Even if I tell him to open it and get something for me. He won't. He will bring it to me and tilt it so I can unzip it and dig for myself while he holds it. He won't open our daughter's purse either. I think he might have been traumatized by a purse as a toddler or something. LOL

Your mil was way across the social boundary on this one.

Flying pad, huh? :lol: Wonder how I'd go about emotionally scarring...errr...teaching my sons that lesson...future DILs would thank me...

No, in fact I'd probably be screaming for someone to please answer it!

:iagree: I don't like checking messages though, so I would rather another family member answer it. If strangers answered my phone that would bother me, and I don't think friends would do that unless I asked them to or they recognized the number as a mutual friend. I'm laid back about the phone though, and I would not answer other phones unless asked.

ETA: I didn't read the part about MIL digging through your purse. I don't carry a purse, but women have told me it feels like a violation of privacy when someone goes through their purse, so yes I would be annoyed in your situation. My phone hangs out in the phone pocket of my planner or on the counter, so that is not at all the same thing.

Edited by dwkilburn1

depends whom. More and more people are using their cells as a house phone, so it would depend. does this person have a house phone or just a cell? in which case I doubt they see a difference. Is this a person I'd feel comfortable answering my phone? I've answered phones as relatives, but not at friends houses.

I hardly answer dh's cell, but then he uses it for business so it's usually clients.

:lol: Mine too. I think DH is overwhelmed by my purse. You know that baby shower game where you get points for everything on a bizarre list of potential items? I've won that. Repeatedly. :tongue_smilie:

Dh and I don't even answer each others phones (or open each others mail), so yes, if some one else answered it, it would bother me...a lot.

My kids are not allowed to answer it either, unless I ask them to specifically.

We have a house phone, so if someone calls one of our cell phones, it means they want to speak to a particular person.

my mil is insane. scratch that. my mil makes everyone else insane. it is the sort of thing mil would have done in her younger and moving-faster days. As irritating as that would have been, it would have been a "add it to the list" of her social ineptitude and drop the irritation because it wasn't making me feel better and she is too clueless to understand why she irks people on a regular basis.

when my children were younger, I'd never get messages if they answered the (home) phone so I finally told them if they couldn't give me my messages, they weren't allowed to answer it! I still can get a message days after a phone call. gee, it would have been nice to know about that. grrr.

I screen my calls, and if anyone answers the phone on my behalf without my permission -- house or cell -- they can talk to the person. I won't do it. I do not answer the phone unless I want to talk to the person who calls at the time they call. Period.

The kids check the caller ID and if the call is for them, they answer it.

DH is different - he can't stand to hear a phone ring without answering it.

Yes, it would bother me a great deal but then it bothers me when my mil answers my house phone when she is babysitting. It's an invasion of privacy and people should mind their own business.

Really? This is so surprising to me! Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I would be annoyed if mil was babysitting and *didn't* answer the phone. I'd like to be able to get a hold of the person watching my kids. :001_huh: It would never cross my mind as an "invasion of privacy".