Menu

Would this annoy you?

I can't imagine my mil going into my purse for anything. Dh won't go into my purse unless I give him express instructions to do so. He was trained by his mom never to go in a woman's purse, so she definitely wouldn't go into mine.

The only person I can imagine would do that is my dd. I'd be fine with her answering my phone from my purse, but she might be the only one. I have a few friends who would do it if I asked them to, but not on their own initiative.

I would be irritated. DH doesn't answer my phone without my authorization. ;)

I wonder if the irritation is partly due to the era of cell phones. I see it as *my* phone rather than a household phone that is a shared item. And, DH has his phone. And my six year old thinks she needs her own phone. Because you have to have your own personal phone...

Really? This is so surprising to me! Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I would be annoyed if mil was babysitting and *didn't* answer the phone. I'd like to be able to get a hold of the person watching my kids. :001_huh: It would never cross my mind as an "invasion of privacy".

No one answers our land/home phone either. We have caller ID, so the kids and any babysitter know if I or dh are calling and there is no reason to answer a call for us from anyone else. Anyone that we want to talk to will know how to get a hold of us without talking to the babysitter first.

For that matter, my kids don't answer any of our phones much. Some kid will run to the phone (home or cell) yell out what the caller ID says and either bring the phone to dh or me, answer it at our directive, or be told to ignore it/turn the ringer off.

Of course, we are apparently weird bc we do the same thing for door bells. We will go to the window next to the door to see who it is and either let them in or tell them we aren't interested without even opening the door.

Really? This is so surprising to me! Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I would be annoyed if mil was babysitting and *didn't* answer the phone. I'd like to be able to get a hold of the person watching my kids. :001_huh: It would never cross my mind as an "invasion of privacy".

We have caller ID AND voicemail so there is no reason for her to answer the phone and take a message. She can easily glance at the phone number and see if it is one of us. Additionally we ALWAYS call her cell phone when she babysits because she always has it in her pocket so we don't even call the house phone...

{sigh} I'm just from a different era, I guess. My mil would have to be doing something waaaaay more offensive than answering the home phone *while doing the favor of babysitting my dc* for me to consider it an invasion of privacy. Going through my drawers for the express purpose of finding some sort of contraband, maybe. Looking in the closed box on the top shelf of the closet in my room...yeah. Answering the phone while being the only adult in attendance? Not even close...:001_huh:

Hmmm...well, I was trying to decide if I was justified in my momentary feelings of irritation. This was my MIL, it was my cell phone, and she rummaged through my purse to find it and answer it. I was only upstairs and she did not ask if she should get it for me. :glare: I prefer that others don't answer my phone, because if there's a message I need to get, the important parts always seem to get lost in translation. So I was a tad miffed, but I was wondering if that was just an overreaction on my part.

Yeah, the fact that she rifled through your purse without permission to get the phone is even more mind boggling. The is definitely over-stepping her bounds and strikes of invasion of privacy. I would have felt pocessed to ask her what she was thinking and then inform her that that was not acceptable. My hubby doesn't even go in my purse when I specfically tell him to. I swear, I think he thinks I keep a mouse trap in it. Even my children ask before they get my phone out of my purse and it is in an open pocket on the front of my purse.

{sigh} I'm just from a different era, I guess. My mil would have to be doing something waaaaay more offensive than answering the home phone *while doing the favor of babysitting my dc* for me to consider it an invasion of privacy. Going through my drawers for the express purpose of finding some sort of contraband, maybe. Looking in the closed box on the top shelf of the closet in my room...yeah. Answering the phone while being the only adult in attendance? Not even close...:001_huh:

Meh.

I wouldn't be offended if I wasn't home so much as befuddled as to why she would do it.

I would be mildly annoyed if I was home.

As for going through drawers, no that was my mil's mom who did that. lol

She babysat for us once and a few weeks later at Christmas bought me underwear and the boys some socks because when she did our laundry she noticed we didn't have enough. Or more to the point for me specifically, "appropriate under garments for a married mother of 2".:lol:

Dh and I were such confused 20-somethings we didn't know what emotion to go with.

Invaded that she went through our drawers

Gratitude she did laundry

Horror that she felt I needed proper undergarments (dh was particularly worried I'd actually wear them!:tongue_smilie:)

Or amusement that she actually believed a married mother of 2 shouldn't be wearing lacey undies.

We decided to be amused and save the granny panties for when I am in fact a granny.:lol:

I honestly wouldn't have cared if she'd answered the home phone. I suppose three things were bothering me:

1. I WAS in the house, merely in another room and she did not say, "Can I get the phone for you?"

2. It was my cell phone, which I consider a private line and different from the home phone.

3. She had to rifle through my purse to find it.

I don't ever answer anyone's cell without permission to do so. Not even my dh's or my kids (my dd is 18, so not really a "kid"), so it just shocked me when she did.

I think I'm from the same era! Neither my phone nor my purse are "private" to me.