Menu

is the illegible?

aside from a couple eraser smudges.... :tongue_smilie:

would you consider this to be illegible, or the style of cursive to be sloppy? (this is a note she's giving a friend to see if she'll do her hair this afternoon :) )

6077287378_e4f8cecf08.jpg

I've been told her handwriting is awful, it can't be read, and that I should go back and teach her block letters.

I've been told her handwriting is awful, it can't be read, and that I should go back and teach her block letters.
By whom?

I have no trouble reading it.

aside from a couple eraser smudges.... :tongue_smilie:

would you consider this to be illegible, or the style of cursive to be sloppy? (this is a note she's giving a friend to see if she'll do her hair this afternoon :) )

6077287378_e4f8cecf08.jpg

No, it's no illegible. It's better than my 14 yo ds. Of course, it's not the flowing beautiful handwriting that our parents and grandparents learned. That might be the complaint you are receiving.

I think it is fine. I would have guessed the writer was a bit younger, but I don't see an issue with the writing itself. It is legible and neat which is what counts :)

This is what I think. Whoever complained like that about an 11yo's writing is rude.

Her handwriting is way nicer than mine, and people can read mine! Tell whoever it is that's criticizing it to go get their eyes checked....or to go do something else, depending on your relationshsip to them. :lol:

Also, may I say what a very polite and well-written letter it is?!

I personally don't care for the mix of printing, regular handwriting, and more fancy stylistic handwriting, but it is fine. It is neat without a lot of erasing and no scribbling things out. It is completely legible. Tell the critic to bug off.

I can read it. It looks like a mix of print and cursive, maybe that is what the person had an issue with. It is legible and neat.

I hate cursive and D'nealian. I would much rather print. I think it looks neater (for me) and (for me) it is faster. We were playing a spelling game in 5th grade where we wrote the words in shaving cream on our desks. I spelled the first word correctly, but my teacher did not give me the point because I printed. She said I needed to "write" the words and not print. It was humiliating! If I can read a child's handwriting I will never judge them based on the style of the letters. It is a way to express themselves. My son likes the fancier lettering. He prefers the a like this "a" with the curve over the top and the t and i with the curve at the bottom. He taught himself from seeing it in books. Those are his neatest letters when he writes.

Her writing is fine. Ask to see a sample of the other person's writing, see what they expect - the critique it :tongue_smilie:

If I were critiquing her style I'd say the descenders are irregular, as is the slope and size of some letters. She's crossing her 't' too high and linking irregularly (although I see that last is part of the style). But illegible? No. And for an 11 year old - excellent quality.

I think she's criticizing the style, not the legibility.

Personally, I like the "handwriting our grandparents were taught," but that's not what is being taught in schools these days. And since we didn't start homeschooling til later, none of my dc have it.

In the "handwriting our grandparents were taught," the irregularity and lack of slant would have been considered sloppy. If the criticizer is older, she may not even realize that it is taught that way on purpose now.

I think she's criticizing the style, not the legibility.

Personally, I like the "handwriting our grandparents were taught," but that's not what is being taught in schools these days. And since we didn't start homeschooling til later, none of my dc have it.

In the "handwriting our grandparents were taught," the irregularity and lack of slant would have been considered sloppy. If the criticizer is older, she may not even realize that it is taught that way on purpose now.

There's a style of cursive being taught in the schools here that's more traditional. It's not what I was taught, it's a different style. But they don't require that students actually write in it. From what I've seen of other kids my kids' age they have been exposed to cursive but only write in print. That surprises me because we were taught cursive in 2nd grade and not allowed to write in anything else from that point onward.

The person criticizing her writing is 50. It's different from what she's used to and I know that's why she doesn't like it. She knows why I'm teaching it too, we've had discussions about that before. But I was surprised when she said it was illegible and that dd needed to go back to block print. I thought dd was doing fine with it, it's not the neatest writing ever but I didn't think it was bad.

At some point she'll start adding her own style to it and it will become something else entirely, and that's OK. Seems like somewhere around 7th grade I really changed my handwriting. Because writing in big bubbly letters was the cool thing to do at the time. LOL

It does look good.

If you wanted to further refine it you could work on connecting strokes at midline like between two 'o's and on consistent slant. Her writing is somewhat large for the lines and the overall neatness could be improved by double spacing.

It is legible, the intent is clear, and the words are sweet. What more could you want?