Menu

obesity in America...what should/could be done?

What do you think could/ought to be done about obesity in the US?

Should anything be done? What might it be? Or, is this just a trend that will have to work itself out?

The more I read about it, the more alarming the numbers seem (i.e. % of kids with or expected to develop type 2 diabetes), but I don't see how the government could do much about it.

I'd love to hear your thoughts or reading suggestions on this.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you can't legislate what people eat, or mandate exercise, but the government sure can stop raiding farms, stop pretending that basic foods (like flour, sugar, etc.) are the same as natural, un-altered foods (meaning, stripping food down into parts, taking out natural nutrients and putting some synthetic nutrients in according to some "approved" formula that is anything but what nature intended), and stop pushing dietary guidelines that have been SHOWN to cause obesity and type 2 diabetes.

Well, you can't legislate what people eat, or mandate exercise, but the government sure can stop raiding farms, stop pretending that basic foods (like flour, sugar, etc.) are the same as natural, un-altered foods (meaning, stripping food down into parts, taking out natural nutrients and putting some synthetic nutrients in according to some "approved" formula that is anything but what nature intended), and stop pushing dietary guidelines that have been SHOWN to cause obesity and type 2 diabetes.

:iagree:

I would like to see health insurance companies increase rates for obese individuals, even children. For an employer, I'd like to see this rate increase go directly to the responsible employees and their family members. If a family is on WIC or welfare, I'd like to see some monetary "incentive" for losing weight there as well.

Obesity costs...it costs in health care costs, it costs family time (sickness, earlier death), it even costs people quality of living. The sad part is that many people know they are overweight and just don't care enough to do anything about it. This just baffles me. They don't care, and they feed their kids the same way, or don't encourage their children to exercise, thus perpetuating the problem. When I see 6 year olds with fat rolls it makes me terribly sad...and angry.

Policing food isn't going to solve this problem. Americans seem to think with their wallets. Hit them where it counts and maybe, just maybe, they'll wise up...and slim down.

I see children ages 10-12 on an almost daily basis who weigh as much or more than I do (I'm 5' 5" and weigh 128). I see adults who are so fat they have to ride the carts through the grocery stores, adults who wheeze while waddling down the aisles (take a look in their carts...it's all processed junk food).

I am aware that some people have legitimate metabolic disorders. I'm also aware that much of the medication doled out to obese individuals could be avoided altogether if said people would just watch what they eat and get some exercise. In many cases high cholesterol and type 2 diabetes are lifestyle diseases. Talking isn't going to fix this problem. But maybe a monetary incentive might.

Harsh words, I know, but this is a harsh problem.

This is a sore subject for me.

Although I do not appear so, owing to careful selection of clothing, by technical definition, I am just over the borderline into obesity. I eat carefully, purchase "whole foods", and cook our meals from scratch without resorting to butter, margarine, meatfats, and other standard "try to avoid" ingredients. For nearly 2/3 of the year, we are vegan (from religious parameters).

My mind and body shut down nearly completely when the temperature rises above 75 deg., and I'm stuck living in North Texas.

Insomnia contributes to weight gain, I have learned. So does stress, which always runs high for several reasons. So does fibromyalgia.

Sustained and vigorous exercise is nearly impossible because of a permanently injured leg. Whenever I can, I walk.

I do the best that I can within the limitations, but do not enjoy my "physical status" one bit.

Hurl all the harsh words you like; they won't change the hand I have been dealt.

I so don't agree with having it tied to insurance in any way. How would that work? What about all the unhealthy skinny people who don't eat well or exercise? What about those that are obese but healthy?

I think many can't afford to eat healthy and many just don't know how. The labeling on foods is terrible and makes many think they're eating healthy and they're not.

I am not a fan of government intervention in general, but if I "had" to propose some gov't intervention it would look something like this.

Clean, modern, YMCA-type facilities open and free to the public, giving free classes (yoga, swimming, etc). Clean, safe jogging and walking tracks widely available. Free sports leagues.

Subsidies given to fruit and veggie production and distribution (as opposed to dairy and corn).

Free access to nutritionists, free literature available in libraries.

Longer periods of recess in school... when I was a kid we had more than an hour of recess a day.

This is a sore subject for me.

Hurl all the harsh words you like; they won't change the hand I have been dealt.

Then there are the parents who put Coke in baby bottles.

I think there is a huge spectrum here.

It took me 4 years to undo what my daughter's birth parents did to her in the first 4 years of her life. Four years to get her BMI back to a healthy and stable level.

We are an extremely glutenous culture in a country where food is cheap, cheaply made, and widely available.

I do think the government plays a HUGE role and should use that influence for good. A lot of our European friends comment frequently about how their countries would never dream of putting certain food items on their shelves. Part of the reason is that in countries where they have socialized medicine, there is an incentive to keep the population healthy. Nobody is going to make money off sick people like they do here.

What the government could/should do as far as control is super controversial, of course. However, what they could start (and they have) doing is educating parents. Schools play a huge role, as well.

In fact, here's an article I just came across today that address the common "we don't have enough money to eat healthy" excuse.

http://www.takepart.com/news/2011/08/17/back-to-scratch-cafeteria-lunch-goes-old-school

I am not a fan of government intervention in general, but if I "had" to propose some gov't intervention it would look something like this.

Clean, modern, YMCA-type facilities open and free to the public, giving free classes (yoga, swimming, etc). Clean, safe jogging and walking tracks widely available. Free sports leagues.

Subsidies given to fruit and veggie production and distribution (as opposed to dairy and corn).

Longer periods of recess in school... when I was a kid we had more than an hour of recess a day.

The more I read about it, the more alarming the numbers seem (i.e. % of kids with or expected to develop type 2 diabetes), but I don't see how the government could do much about it.

I think what's really alarming is the lack of critical thought and discussion around the issue. A lot of what pretends to be discussion or information basically amounts to un-examined correlation.

Takes the diabetes example. What if it's not childhood obesity that's leading to diabetes? What if it's something in our diets that causes both? But it's easier to blame the habits of citizens then upset food producers, no?

And as Orthodox6 pointed out it's more complicated then issue around food and exercise. Stress and sleep probably play a much more important role then we give them credit for but they're another aspect of obesity-related health discussions that we rarely discuss or give serious thought too.

:iagree::hurray::iagree:

Oh my goodness, :iagree: !!!

ETA - And everyone needs to get back to using their bodies to move. Cars and a sedentary lifestyle have stifled yet another generation.

Edited by LauraGB

:iagree: :iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree: Uhh... I really agree with the above in case you couldn't tell.

Get rid of high fructose corn syrup. It is in almost everything these days and has probably contributed greatly to obesity.

:iagree:Between getting rid of HFCS and subsidies and allowing local farms to produce there might be a good start.

I so don't agree with having it tied to insurance in any way. How would that work? What about all the unhealthy skinny people who don't eat well or exercise? What about those that are obese but healthy?

I think many can't afford to eat healthy and many just don't know how. The labeling on foods is terrible and makes many think they're eating healthy and they're not.

:iagree:My first thought for an answer was education. But the "experts" don't have a clue so who is left to educate the masses?

:iagree: I wouldn't even mind a bit of extra local tax to pay for it.

http://www.naturalnews.com/033348_raw_milk_public_safety.html

I think what's really alarming is the lack of critical thought and discussion around the issue. A lot of what pretends to be discussion or information basically amounts to un-examined correlation.

Takes the diabetes example. What if it's not childhood obesity that's leading to diabetes? What if it's something in our diets that causes both? But it's easier to blame the habits of citizens then upset food producers, no?

And as Orthodox6 pointed out it's more complicated then issue around food and exercise. Stress and sleep probably play a much more important role then we give them credit for but they're another aspect of obesity-related health discussions that we rarely discuss or give serious thought too.

:iagree: BPA, environmental estrogens, etc have been linked to central adiposity, insulin resistance, etc.

I will add that I think our society has become dietary fat phobic due to the messages that "fat is bad" and that many kids never have a feeling of satiety because they are riding the blood sugar roller coaster all day long (cereal, crackers, pretzels, carby snacks, etc.) while their bodies are starving for some fat and protein.

This is a subject that concerns me immensely. First, I'd get rid or significantly modify the subsidies that go to farmers of inedible foods that can be turned into something fatty, ie, field corn into high fructose corn syrup. IF you read up on the subject you will learn that about the time the government started paying subsidies for HFCS, making sweetener really cheap (before, expensive sugar had been the main alternative) we suddenly started drinking giant Cokes as our beverage of choice. Then, I would make it legal to charge more for health insurance premiums for folks who are obese or who smoke who don't have some sort of real medical reason for their obesity. Life insurers can do it, why not health insurers? There was a thread not too long ago about changing the things that food stamps can buy, and I think eliminating all "convenience type" snacky foods and junk foods and soda and juice--eat the whole fruit instead-- and sweets would be a good place to start. Those things are really no more "food" when you think of food as something that actually nourishes you than are alcohol and tobacoo. I would eliminate white bread and white rice too. I am not in favor of the government fixing people's problems, but if you accept government assistance, like food stamps or subsidies or whatever, then I think the government has a right to tell you what you can spend it on. I have relatives who are obese, and they are extremely sedentary and regularly drink a 2 liter of Coke a day.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I am not in favor of the government fixing people's problems, but if you accept government assistance, like food stamps or subsidies or whatever, then I think the government has a right to tell you what you can spend it on.

The government should not tell me what I can or can't buy. Have you seen what they say is good?!

The wealtheir the country, the fatter the people. A good long bout of poverty makes you skinny.

People in Qatar are fat. It's a tiny (super rich) country, so it doesn't get much air time, yet obesity is a major issue for them.

Wasn't always so. Not there, not here.

Wealthier city boys in China are also chubs. That's what happens to humans when they have easy access to food.

Edited by LibraryLover

When I was in high school in the 80s, we were required to take P.E. every school year. But now? The county we live in requires one year of P.E./Health. The kids take P.E. one semester and Health in the other. So basically, the high schoolers here get 15 weeks of physical education out of 4 years of high school.

P.E. in the elementary school is 30 mins. once a week. The most active activity during recess is the swingset. There isn't time for any type of organized games. That is left to the P.E. period each week.

I don't know about the middle school because my children didn't attend.

I'd like to see sports actually an attainable possibility for the average family.

So many sports and rec activities are so expensive that the average family can't afford them, esp if they have more than 1 child.

I can't put all of us in martial arts (maybe not even 1 of us), can't put ds in any sport, can't put dd in cheerleading, dance, or gymnastics (what she wants).

The government should not tell me what I can or can't buy. Have you seen what they say is good?!

She's talking about not allowing families on food stamps to use them for soda, junk food, etc. Remember, this is a "what would you do" scenario- it's assuming we had some control over the system...

Get rid of high fructose corn syrup.

Take bromine out of flours and add back the iodine ( way to many people in our country with thyroid problems due to the bromine)

Take out flouride in the water supply which damages the thyroid, bones and other organs in the body.

Reduce the price of organic foods, make fruits and veggies available and affordable.

I love organic foods. Problem is with a family of 6 its very costly and expensive. I'd love to grow a garden but we live in a complex that does not allow this. I can't even make my own inside garden because they have inspections and this would get us thrown out. I'd do anything to have my own garden. But even then we only can have one from about June to August in our area before the frost comes and winter comes for the next 7 months.

Make sports programs free so that all families could afford to have their children participate. I know for us its getting to a point where we've had to reduce the activities because we just can't afford them anymore. My two middle ones are lucky that they will get to do gymnastics this year.

I'm sure there is more I could think of but those things would be a great start.

Edited by TracyR

Or, is this just a trend that will have to work itself out?

I don't think so. If anything, obesity has only been getting worst over the last 25 years. I'm a straight up thermodynamics and Reaganomics kinda girl, so I think that if the gov't just taxes the hell out of HFCS, and drops the sugar subsidy, it would help alot. If a can of Coke costs $5, a box of cereal $15, Poptarts $8, and sugar now costs $40/lb, wouldn't you drink/use a little bit less? Probably a lot less. That glass of water and apple starts looking a lot better.

:iagree: I substituted in a elementary school and couldn't believe that recess was only 15 minutes. God forbid if you got in trouble during the day b/c then you had to sit out. It was very sad. Got to get back inside to teach to the test.

:iagree: I substituted in a elementary school and couldn't believe that recess was only 15 minutes. God forbid if you got in trouble during the day b/c then you had to sit out. It was very sad. Got to get back inside to teach to the test.

This is actually illegal in some states, but many teachers do it anyway. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Those are the kids that need to go run around! Duh!

Then, I would make it legal to charge more for health insurance premiums for folks who are obese or who smoke who don't have some sort of real medical reason for their obesity.

I certainly hope not. A month or so ago, there were a few threads complaining about insurers denying coverage based on highly unreasonable standards of "overweight." All we would do is exchange obesity for anorexia.

The wealtheir the country, the fatter the people. A good long bout of poverty makes you skinny.

In the USA, in many cases it is the opposite. Excess weight is far more an issue for the very poor than the upper middle class and wealthy. Cheap, fast, convenient foods, often made cheap by government policy and subsidy, is less healthy. Not only are poor people pressed for money, they are very often pressed for time. Low wage workers often work low hours and multiple jobs to get by. The occupation with the highest rate of obesity is Nursing Assistants, who make close to minimum wage and often work long hours.

Most kids go to school. Those schools are cutting recess time, gym classes and after school sports due to budget cuts and testing demands. Physical health should be given more importance in the school. I think restoring recess and play time would make a difference. Cooking education would also help. I work in social services and so many families I have encountered over the years have no cooking abilities, even if they have full kitchen access. You can't do what you don't even realize is possible.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but I wish it was mandatory for ALL restaurants to put their calorie information right by the food description on their boards or in their menus. That would at least give me the chance to make an informed choice.

I also like a PP ideas about longer recesses for kids, YMCAs that are modern and up to date offering free classes and access to swimming pools, gyms, weights.

I really wish cities had sidewalks everywhere like they used to. About a year ago, I decided I would do better with exercise if it was hidden in my everyday life. I thought I'd bring a wagon and walk my kids to the grocery store, to the bus stop (my dd was not homeschooled at the time), and to other nearby places instead of driving my car everywhere. It was GREAT! The problem was, there were no sidewalks to be found, so I was either walking on a road or on the shoulder. It felt very dangerous at times. Also, people were so unaccustomed to seeing this, I kept having people stop and ask me if we needed a ride somewhere! :lol: I guess they thought our car had broken down somewhere!

You know, I don't like the gov. doing everything for us. But I have to say - these ideas would be "lov-erly" (I recently watched My Fair Lady so excuse the misspelling of lovely! :D)

It's not about money, it's not about education. It is sooo much about people being emotionally healthy and happy. There are a lot of messed up people in this country.

The divorce rate in the US is out of this world

Drug use is crazy high

Children born out of wedlock is high

And there are tons of other problems, until people heal from these problems, I don't think the obesity is going to be solved.

Well...if my post reflects a lack of critical thought, perhaps you could point me in the direction of some information that would enlighten me.

I would be happy to look at any links to info about Type 2 diabetes that you may have.

Get rid of high fructose corn syrup. It is in almost everything these days and has probably contributed greatly to obesity.

I'm really not sure... I agree the the rate of obesity is really going up, but idk what could be done about it, if anything.

On one hand, I agree with the pp who said that they like the idea of the government policing what people can buy with food stamps. On one hand, good idea... on the other hand, I know it isn't really possible. But I guess if it was very basic, like no chips/candy/soda/etc...but at the same time it would be such a hard thing to do. As you can see, I'm :confused: on that one :) I will say that in the past when we actually received food stamp benefits, it was VERY disheartening to see people with 2 CARTS FULL OF JUNK (freezer meals, ice cream, popsicles, lunchables, little debbie cakes, etc - which, once in awhile, won't kill you. Trust me, I love ice cream, and freezer meals have their purpose - however I don't know that it's necessary for the gov't to buy all that for them) go up with their $500 and use it all at once (on the 1st of the month) - while I got a measly $100 and was trying to buy healthier food (we aren't perfect eaters, don't get me wrong. But I didn't use our government benefits to buy our snacks and DH's Dr. Pepper, I paid for those separately. And we don't always eat wonderfully in any case - however I do cook food at LEAST 6 times a week, and we eat veggies and fruits...) Ugh. Don't even get me started. It was so frustrating and felt really unfair.

I agree that physical exercise has a LOT to do with it. We've become so much of a stagnant people - I find that myself, even. And I also agree with the OTHER pp who said that so many places just aren't walker-friendly anymore. We live LITERALLY maybe a quarter of a mile from the library, 2 left turns and we're at their doorstep. But when they put the sidewalk in next to the library they stopped it about halfway to my house :glare: which would leave me trying to walk with 3 kids on the 2nd busiest (4 lane) road in town. (and DS5 is NOT good with walking with me. We're working on it, but for now... He's a runner... :tongue_smilie: )

We ate vegan(ish) for a fast for 21 days in January and I felt AMAZING at the end of it. The hardest part for me was not having the dairy :lol: - meat, I could take it or leave it anyway. It was funny, when I first started eating 'normal' food again (normal for me, anyway), I actually threw a lot of it away the first week or two because of the way it made me feel. I realized that I had gotten so used to the kind of crappy feeling I have after eating junk food that I didn't even realize I felt crappy, kwim?? But then, over time, it worked its way back into my life (yes, I know, I worked it back into my life lol).

Also, when in NYC, we walked EVERYWHERE. I really loved it. I would live there lol! and walk constantly! :D But here, we have to drive somewhere to go for a walk... just seems pointless, and I never feel like I find time in the day to do it. Or to exercise at all for that matter...:confused:

Yep, the obesity rates started climbing when our government started pushing these guidelines. Coincidence? I think not.

Best "government intervention" policies I've heard related to this matter!

Unfortunately, the idea of "eating healthy" is super-difficult to wrap a mind around. Someone mentioned avoiding XYZ - when XYZ is the stuff we DON'T avoid in my family (we are strong believers in the low-carb approach, so bacon & butter don't bother us!!). The government should absolutely NOT be allowed to dictate what people eat - except in some ways they do it already (such as corn subsidies that push that nasty high fructose corn syrup into everything).

My friend was so excited about what "terrrific, healthy meals" they are serving at her son's PS - when she listed the stuff to me, all I could think of was how bad I believe those heavy carb foods are for the kids & how it is setting them on a path of life-long heavy carb eating.

My kids & I went through a health book section on the food pyramid recently & I ripped it apart disagreeing with a ton & pointing out what other research has said, etc.

However, I know there are loads of people out there who believe in low-fat instead and aren't bothered by carbs. Who is right?? Who can know?? Maybe it should just be about what is right for YOU - on a low-carb diet, I lost 28 pounds & had such astonishingly good blood test results that my anti-low-carb Doctor called and told me "keep doing whatever you are doing"!! :)

I'm pretty sure health insurance companies already decline coverage or charge more to obese people. Heaven knows they decline people for far stupider things.

Yup. We relied on WIC for the first 4-5 years of my kiddos lives. Juice, juice and more juice, cheese and peanut butter. We couldn't choose reduced fat cheese or peanut butter. No real fruits or veg, except a $20 voucher to the farmer's market June-August (that's one voucher per family - not per child - for the whole summer). The cereal was okay (we could choose Cheerios or oatmeal, decent options).

I was grateful for it at the time, because our income was so low/sporadic. But, dang. I wish we'd been able to afford to NOT have been on WIC.

Another thought: The cheapest grocery store in town doesn't carry low-fat or reduced sugar options. No natural/sugar-free applesauce. No reduced-fat cheese. It was so frustrating! I had to drive to a second store to fill in the gaps. But, what about the many families in this area with no car?

She's talking about not allowing families on food stamps to use them for soda, junk food, etc. Remember, this is a "what would you do" scenario- it's assuming we had some control over the system...

But who defines junk food? Are Cheerios junk food? I don't think so, but plenty of folks do.

I don't think so. If anything, obesity has only been getting worst over the last 25 years. I'm a straight up thermodynamics and Reaganomics kinda girl, so I think that if the gov't just taxes the hell out of HFCS, and drops the sugar subsidy, it would help alot. If a can of Coke costs $5, a box of cereal $15, Poptarts $8, and sugar now costs $40/lb, wouldn't you drink/use a little bit less? Probably a lot less. That glass of water and apple starts looking a lot better.

I'm pretty sure health insurance companies already decline coverage or charge more to obese people. Heaven knows they decline people for far stupider things.

Our insurance has always been through dh's employer and the only question asked is about tobacco use. I don't know of any that charge more based on obesity. (and I don't think they should) I know so many people that have been happy about the new healthcare regulations stipulating companies can't deny based on pre-existing conditions so I find it interesting some feel it is ok to raise rates due to size.

While I do think that there is a weight problem in N. America (not just the US), I am not compelled to alarm by the statistics. I have long thought that measuring obesity by the BMI was woefully inaccurate. It does not take into account so many factors about a person -- from build to general health.

There is a recent study on the Edmonton Obesity Staging System that is very interesting. It talks about measuring a number of factors to determine someone's level of obesity, not just BMI. It then addresses a protocol for doctors to use in treating obesity in patients. It is important to note that this is a Canadian study and is therefore more interested in preventative treatments than conventional US treatments. Average Canadians access their physicians far more frequently than average Americans simply because we can. This means our GPs have the opportunity to offer preventative treatments before a health issue reaches critical status. The average American will wait until a serious issue arises before seeking treatment because they have to deal with things like co-pays and deductibles and possible increases/losses of insurance for having made a claim.

I believe that, especially for obesity, prevention is the key to reducing the health risks of obesity. Trying to treat the health complications later is a never-ending battle that consumes far more resources. I believe that access to preventative care will go a long way addressing the issue.

But... I realize there are multiple factors contributing to the obesity issue. The health care angle is just one that I find particularly important.

Edited by Audrey
edited to add link

We live in Mayberry USA essentially. It's a tiny place. There is a workout gym whose charges seem to me a good bit higher than is reasonable for their limited offerings. There is no pool, no running track, only one, half-working upright bike. Our grocery stores have anemic lettuce, no organic milk, but lots of chicken feet and pig snouts. It's truly impossible to shop and come home with a reasonably healthy selection. We can pack up ice chests and drive 45 minutes to some better stores, paying higher prices plus gas money. But really, I would love to see Fresh Market or whole Foods, or Trader Joes around here to shop from at a decent price.

I am slightly obese and have been for a couple of years. My obesity is due to a medical problem. It took me 17 years and three states to find a doctor who could diagnose and treat my problem. As a result, I'm planning on shedding some of these pounds and getting back some of my pre-injury figure. Our children are not obese and make good choices. They also don't get sick very often at all and don't even take vitamins. I know some skinny children of some skinny parents, who have problems galore when cold and flu season arrive. I would love to have them involved in more activities, but I don't know of any available to us here and the ones in the city are super expensive.

So at this point, I feel like penalyzing my family's insurance for obesity would make it at better chance that we would fail at the efforts we are making toward weight loss and better lifestyles for everyone.

:iagree: I weigh more than my mother, but am much healthier. Her cholesterol is outrageous! The only green thing my mother will eat has an M printed on it! But, she has always been thin and I have always struggled hard with my weight. I have PCOS and metabolic issues. However, my cholesterol and blood pressure are great.

:iagree: BPA, environmental estrogens, etc have been linked to central adiposity, insulin resistance, etc.

I will add that I think our society has become dietary fat phobic due to the messages that "fat is bad" and that many kids never have a feeling of satiety because they are riding the blood sugar roller coaster all day long (cereal, crackers, pretzels, carby snacks, etc.) while their bodies are starving for some fat and protein.

I agree with this. And I add other problems I see, that have already mentioned too:

Fluoride in the water

HFCS

MSG

Sugar added to foods because fats were removed "low fat foods" :glare:

Chemical laden food want-to-be's like margarine

Hydrogenated stuff for longer shelf life, to make more money

Stripped, bleached, and brominated foods. The whiter the bread, the faster your dead!

Major confusion over what is healthy and in what proportion. So many theories and misinformation!

Not enough recess/activity/exercise

High stress levels

Not enough sleep

I believe these are the most obvious culprits.

I think Americans in general have no real idea of appropriate portion size. Restaurants serve up 3x the amount that we need, and this skews what we think of as a normal portion.

In my family, two of us struggle with weight. We all eat the same foods (pretty healthy and balanced), but two of us have large appetites. I have only lost weight when I have been super diligent about what I eat and how much, and ignore my hunger. Eating too much healthy food will make you fat, even if you are only eating to satisfy your hunger. It's a lot more complicated than some people realize. There is a Japanese saying about eating to 80% fullness. I've been trying to get used to that, but it's hard!

As for what can be done - I would like to see a restaurant serve small portions and charge a small amount! Instead of paying $15 for a 3-portion meal, I'd much rather pay $5 for a normal portion, you know?

the reasons of obesity are so myriad, there's no single solution.

community

education (like, regular public education, not nutrition education)

which goes back to community

allowed chemicals in food

allowed chemicals in everything

stress

economy

jobless rate

ineffective healthcare

lack of healthcare

lack of vegetables in high density areas

the cost of good food

subsidization of big agra

lack of children's ability to play

high amounts of electronic play with children

jobs that keep people at desks with too much in office time and not enough down time

it's late and I'm sure I'm missing some--where should we start?

Edited by justamouse

The best thing our government could do would be to regulate what can be called food. No more genetically modified crops. No more subsidizing corn and soy crops as though they are THE most important thing in our supermarkets.

One thing I've noticed in Europe is that fresh food is cheaper than processed usually. I can go down to our market and spend 10Euro, and come back with a bunch of locally grown fruit, veggies, and milk. The more processed, the more it increases in price. A can of Coke costs twice as much as a bottle of water, for half as much given to you.

In the U.S., it's backwards. More processed = cheaper at the register. I can get an all-you-can-drink LARGE soda for the same price as a small bottle of water. I can buy bell peppers ($4.50 for a pack of three) as part of our dinner or I can buy hot dogs, buns, and a box of macaroni and "cheese" for the same price and call that dinner. When as many families as there are right now are trying to pinch pennies something's going to give.

Wealthier city boys in China are also chubs. That's what happens to humans when they have easy access to food.

Having lived in China in 1985 and then again from 2004/5, I saw the progression. More people have cars now too, or the money for buses, so there's less walking and cycling.

Laura