Menu

S/O poll question: do you plan to homeschool through high school?

do you plan to homeschool through high school?  

1. 1. do you plan to homeschool through high school?

• Yes, no matter what.
    • Yes, barring extenuating circumstances.
    • Probably, we will see how it goes.
    • No.
    • Other.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, barring extenuating circumstances. Things like unexpected illness or extreme economic crisis would probably result in the girls going to school But (knock on wood) so far, so good.

Already, we're seeing some friends heading into school. I guess as the girls get older, we'll see more and more of it. Oh well.

But on the flip side, we also see people pull out of school when the kids are older. Maybe it will balance out.

I plan to homeschool through high school. My kids are still young, though, and things could change.

This sums it up for me... I would like to think we could go "all the way", but also want to make sure that my desire to homeschool does not blind me to potential 'realities' we might be facing. Hope that makes sense...

We'll see how it goes. We're playing it by ear. My husband feels more strongly about not putting our girls in public school than I do. If my kids and I decide public school is something we want to try, we'll have to argue about it quite a bit. ;)

DS will technically be in HS next year, and yes, we plan to continue homeschooling. I voted probably, because who knows-- he might change his mind. I've always told them whenever they want to go back to school, they can, but they've never wanted to. They know they have it good! ;)

I guess it surprises me that so many people here plan to put their kids in high school.

There was an article I read recently about that - it focused on it as a general trend, but it talked about a family in Texas who had had a huge network of homeschool friends all through their elementary years. Then, as middle school began, friends slowly sent their kids back to school until as high schoolers, they were the ONLY people they knew homeschooling high school kids. I must say, it unsettled me a bit.

My main reason for pulling my son from school was that he just hated it, and I think it was mostly because he wasn't being challenged. The fact that he wasn't being challenged also was a huge issue for me. I'm not sure whether or not I would have pulled him if he had loved it.

He WANTS to go to high school. We have excellent choices here for high school as far as academics (public with IB program or Catholic all-boys). I have no doubt he'll be challenged in high school since I know people with kids in these schools.

I don't have anything against schools or teachers, and think that if you have a great one for your kid, you're really lucky! I'm guessing you could probably divide homeschoolers into two groups: those that feel strongly that homeschooling is the best option for all their kids (and maybe most kids with able parents?) and/or they want to have control over what and how their kids learn because of their beliefs about homeschooling and/or the schools. They'd do whatever it took to keep their kids home. And then those that are doing it because school didn't or wouldn't work for their particular child/ren. I guess I'm a bit of both, really - but lean towards the second group! So I'm rambling and don't mean you can peg people in regards to this, but I think most probably lean one way or the other. The second group is more likely to send their kids to high school.

There was an article I read recently about that - it focused on it as a general trend, but it talked about a family in Texas who had had a huge network of homeschool friends all through their elementary years. Then, as middle school began, friends slowly sent their kids back to school until as high schoolers, they were the ONLY people they knew homeschooling high school kids. I must say, it unsettled me a bit.

I've not read the story, but I have heard of this.

I really liked the idea of homeschooling through high school, but dd will be doing one year of high school at our local public school. She has already finished most of her high school courses but still needs Bio 11 and 12, Physics 11, French 11 and 12 and Math 11 and 12. She'll do those in a classroom. There are a couple other courses she still needs to do that make more sense to do at home, so she's kind of a hybrid student this year.

I wish there were more people homeschooling through high school in our area. It seems as though when high school hits people who are serious about academics put their kids in school and the unschoolers continue homeschooling. I'd love to have a co-op where there were enough kids to tackle the classes she's doing in school, but we don't have one. If she were an only child I'd have the time to do them alongside her, but we also have three younger boys. Dd was spending far too much time alone in her room - I'd like her out learning with others. I wish there was a better option than the local school, but I'm left choosing between having dd alone on her computer all day and having her in high school for one year.

I have a feeling that things could be different for the boys. We've got a very strong co-op going right now with kids up to grade 8. If we continue on, I think we'll have the community around us to continue with high school.

Yes, barring extenuating circumstances. Things like unexpected illness or extreme economic crisis ...

This was us a few years ago. We homeschooled my oldest dd (now almost 18) since grade 5. Her grade 9 year was horrible and very stressful (new baby, attitude problems, lack of motivation, zero studying, etc). We started counseling, took her for a physical, and found out she was suffering from depression. Major changes at home were made to help her.

For grade 10 I put her in a tutorial to help ease the pressure off of our relationship at home plus she was on medication but still things were very hard.

For grade 11 I enrolled her in a private school full-time. Things were better academically but it opened up our family to more relationship problems. Now she has started grade 12 at the same school, she is taking dual enrollment English, AP statistics, and the rest are honors classes. She has excelled academically and things are improving in the family relationship area as well.

I really thought we would be homeschooling through high school, but for this child it would have been death to our relationship and family life. School is not a decision I wanted to make, but looking back I believe it was the right one for this child at the time.

i voted NO, SADLY.

I'd have them home all the vay -- but DH feels strongly about them going to junior and high school -- all the annoyingly bad reasons (band, freinds, etc).

However we are just starting out -- so i hope he'll come around. Right now I ahve his word they are home till after 4th or 5th ...

we have dear freinds that HS all the way though -- 2 grad so far and 7 more to come. THIS really bugs their kids (all girls so far) -- they loose so many freinds to "school" by the time they are in Jhigh or HHigh. It is sda, and fustrating.

My oldest started taking classes at the community college at 16, so we bypassed high school altogether! She started out with one class per semester the first year (her junior year of high school), and two classes per semester the second year (her senior year of high school).

She decided to stay and complete her associate's degree before continuing on to a 4 year school for her bachelor's (also called the 2+2 plan). It's saved us a great deal of $$, because the community college averages $2500 a year (2 semesters) for tuition & books.

I just wanted to offer that as a possibility for the moms & dads who are just starting out on the journey.

My oldest did half virtual (through our school district) and half at the high school for 9th grade. 10th - 12th she did all High School. It was ok....I have more issues with it than she did. My other two will NOT be going to high school. I don't feel confident to do it on my own....so I would have done virtual. But, our school just started a homebased program and my now 9th grader (and 2nd grader) will be doing that. I am really relieved because it is sooooo much better than the virtual; which would have been a nightmare for a high schooler who struggles.

I guess it surprises me that so many people here plan to put their kids in high school.

I ask mine every year whether they still feel like it is working for them. I also tell them that we will only keep doing this as long as no one is miserable...

But, barring misery, yes. We plan to continue through high school for all three boys.

I guess what makes me the most worried is not so much people who stop because it was in their long term plan, or because of unforeseen financial or family issues. After all, I think you always have to open to reevaluating on some level. But it's terrible to me that people feel like they have to stop because they lose their homeschool community.

Our girls are so young at this point, it's hard to know where we'll "be" when and if we get to the high school years. Our circumstances will probably change, but our hope and plan at this point is to homeschool through high school, barring extenuating circumstances (such as death, disability, or something else we can't foresee).

I will say, though, that even if the laws change, and make homeschooling illegal (if that ever happens, not that it will), we would still homeschool, in spite of the law. So a change in the law would not deter us.

Homeschool is the default so most probable; but school is an option along the way if we deem it advantageous and other circumstances work out.

My big kids homeschooled all the way through except 8 weeks of 2001. My little three kids will start in school (Headstart and Kindy this year); but we will almost definitely pull them and homeschool. At that point, we'll be back to the fact that homeschooling is our default; but no option is closed.

We will continue homeschooling. For us, it's cheaper to homeschool. The only issue we would have would be my death. Then it wouldn't be an *I* to make the decision anyway.

I am convicted about homeschooling this child, my only. If I had other children I would evaluate their situations individually.

Yes, barring extenuating circumstances.

I like what Pamela said - Homeschooling is the default.

However, for us, if at any time it is no longer the best choice for any one of our kids, then we will reevaluate and find something that works.

So, the plan is to homeschool through high school, but homeschooling is not my hill to die one. :001_smile:

i voted NO, SADLY.

I'd have them home all the vay -- but DH feels strongly about them going to junior and high school -- all the annoyingly bad reasons (band, freinds, etc).

However we are just starting out -- so i hope he'll come around. Right now I ahve his word they are home till after 4th or 5th ...

There is hope for your dh to come around. When we started homeschooling ds was going into 5th grade. Dh had it in his head that the kids would go back for highschool-for all the same reasons as your dh.

Now ds is going into 8th grade. This past year dh has seen that he really does not need to go to hs. He has a great social life. He takes a philosophy class, a music appreciation class, and other assorted we find them interesting classes. He is on a swim team.

After the last couple of family gatherings where he listened to his 2 sisters who are teachers complain and gripe about every blessed thing that is wrong with their schools, the administration, the parents, etc. and then my recap of the documentary The Race to Nowhere he finally realized that he does not care if the kids ever return to school. He can see the difference between our kids and our neices and nephews and he likes our kids.

I found the best way to handle this with my dh was to ignore him. When he would say he wanted ds to go back to hs I would nod and listen. Discuss his reasons and things we were doing that addressed these concerns. Mostly, though, I just smiled and nodded. The proof is in the pudding and there is no denying the results.

One of the things I got my dh to agree to early on was that they would stay home through middle school. He agreed because I showed him where we deviated from the public school schedule and how by 9th grade they would have cycled throguh everything the ps school did and they would not be behind.

Nope, but that has been fairly recent.

I never intended to homeschool. We ended up doing it due to medical issues and learning disabilities.

My dd is in 10th grade this next year. I am going to be partially homeschooling for now. I found a great alternative style public school less than a mile from my house. They only have 75 kids in the school and it's geared towards children with learning disabilities or medical issues that make a large public school less ideal.

We will still be doing one or two classes on our own and she will be attending three days a week. I personally never had an issue with public school. For me, homeschooling was more to tailor things around the needs of my kid.

But, if I had always intended to homeschool I would not put my kid back in for high school. I admit that it surprises me too. I would think that high school would be one of the best times to homeschool.

All 3 of mine are in high school right now. Some people don't like what we've chosen, but all 3 are enrolled in Keystone High School. It's an accredited online traditional school, so the classes look just like the ones you would find in a brick and mortar school. But it's still homeschooling, just expensive homeschooling. The main reason we chose Keystone is that homeschoolers in Georgia cannot receive accredited Georgia high school diplomas and when I looked at all the hoops I would have to jump through to get their transcript and portfolio in order for college admission, DH and I decided to not even try. High school is just too darn important for me to mess up. Even though I've homeschooled 10 years now, I do not have a great track record for consistency. I really don't want all of my children to still be working on their high school diplomas by the age of 20.

Dd13 is in 9th grade.

Ds15 is in 10 grade.

Dd19 is in her last 3 classes. (long story there, but at least she's on the right track now)

ETA: I know there are more, but I personally knew 4 families with high schoolers. Two of them began public high school this past week. One of those was a good friend of my dd13. She is confident that they remain best friends but I'm extremely skeptical. I honestly believe that once her friend is really into the whole school scene, dd13 will be left behind. That leaves dd13 with only 1 homeschool friend, and even her family is contemplating putting her into public school next Fall for 9th grade. The only option we have for dd13 to be around more high schoolers is a local secular organization that offers classes. But their high school classes are very small, like 2 to 4 students. The two reasons I know of are a lack of high school aged students, and very high prices. I totally understand the fees. I don't feel like they should lower them, but each class is more expensive than the Keystone program we're using. I just can't afford those prices, especially when I'll have to do a great deal of work tracking everything dd13 does to create a portfolio that Keystone will accept as an honest high school credit. I did that for ds15 last year for 9th grade English and it was really difficult and stressful. :(

Edited by Night Elf

I kinda of cheating since one child is through high school and the other will be a senior. But I voted 'yes except for extenuating circumstance'.

I was willing to send them to high school if the wanted to go. My younger dd thought about it but after trying middle school for a week (visitor status) she decided to stay at home.

In all fairness though, when we started I could not imagine homeschooling for high school. Too complicated, subjects I wasn't familiar with, too much risk when it came to college admissions. But by the time we got there I felt ready to do it. It wasn't as difficult as I thought, they used virtual school and community college for the advanced credits. Oldest dd had no trouble getting into the colleges of her choice.

"Barring extenuating circumstances."

I already homeschool our daughter until she left for college.

I always assumed we would see our son all the way through, too. We flirted last year with the idea of sending our son to high school so he had access to a performing arts magenet program. However, he decided to stay home, instead. So, now that the decision has been made, I plan to stick with it.

Then, as middle school began, friends slowly sent their kids back to school until as high schoolers, they were the ONLY people they knew homeschooling high school kids.

We never had a big network, but all of my son's closest friends have homeschooled for at least some chunk of time. His best buddy went back at the beginning of middle school, and one of the others went to school for the first time a couple of years ago. The only remaining homeschooler is going to high school in the fall, leaving my son the last one standing.

It's been kind of a blow, actually, bothering me more than I would have expected. This last one was a surprise, because they've been almost life-long homeschoolers, and we had no idea they were even considering school.

My son seems okay with it, but I will admit to feeling a little worried about whether this will change things between him and his friends.

Yes, barring extenuating circumstances.

With my health, its always a possibility that I may not end up able to continue, but its our plan.

Diva has demanded to go to school. Nope. She's only 12, turning 13, and is way too easily influenced by peers. There is no good that can come from her attending ps at this point.

Now, if she were to suddenly mature so that I could trust she would stick to doing the right thing instead of following whoever, doing whatever in an attempt to be popular, etc, then I'll reassess...but at this point, I just don't see it happening.

We are committed to homeschooling dd through middle school. Beyond that, we'll see. Right now dd is pushing to stay home through high school but I wouldn't be surprised if she changes her mind as she gets closer. Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem with her going to our local ps high school. Our sons never homeschooled and they both had great experiences there. That said, we're also looking into private school options for dd and may chose that route. I do believe that whatever decision we make for high school we will stick with once she begins freshman year. If she goes back to a brick and mortar school I will go back into the workforce.

Depends on many factors including what sort of other educational options there are and what my schedule is like, not to mention how it's going.

I would love to do hs math and science. History and lit, not so much.

Come move next door to me, Stripe. You can do the math and science and I'll handle humanities. I mean, I love teaching science in elementary school, but I do get a little worried about the future sometimes. :D

After sending my three older children through public high school, I will most definitely homeschool dd through high school. We may be doing 'school at home' with the curriculum we are using, but as I have personally experienced with my other children, it is far superior in content and rigor than the public school.

I voted "probably". My oldest is only in second grade so we are too far out to see clearly. I am a math teacher and feel confident that I could handle homeschooling high school. A major reason we homeschool is to provide an education that suits the individual. High school is much more individualized than elementary or middle school so I can see it being a good choice for some students. I think it is most likely that our kids will homeschool and do some duel enrollment courses during the high school years.

We plan to have our kids go to our decent public high school. We see this as a step toward heading out into the real world and being able to handle all kinds of people--peers and teachers, and the different kinds of situations life throws at you. We plan for our kids to go away to a college or university as we did. We would like them to learn how to handle themselves in outside situations while they still live at home with our care and guidance. And our high schools are good schools. I don't think we'll be sacrificing their education in sending them there.

Social aspects have not factored into our home schooling decisions. It is interesting to hear that some people might feel they have to send their kids to school because everyone else is. We do not depend on other home schoolers in any way. Our decision to home school (or to put kids in school for high school) is not peer-based.