Menu

S/O poll question: do you plan to homeschool through high school?

do you plan to homeschool through high school?  

1. 1. do you plan to homeschool through high school?

• Yes, no matter what.
    • Yes, barring extenuating circumstances.
    • Probably, we will see how it goes.
    • No.
    • Other.

I put "other".

I always planned on going year-by-year, but anticipate putting my kids in school in high school.

I really like the schools where we live, and they'll definitely have a lot more opportunities in the high schools.

Another option, if that doesn't pan out, is Williamsburg Academy.

http://www.wacademy.org

It's an online, live, classical/Thomas Jefferson Education high school. They've developed their own curriculum, and have mentors, group work, and interactive online classes. There's also a week-long outdoors experiential learning camp they do a couple of times during the summer.

I'm hoping to have my kids start doing the outdoor camp as soon as they're old enough. They won't be old enough for high school for a while, so there's time to think about it. . . . Apparently, kids typically start in a sophomore year. Anyway. I'm going to post an S/O on it because I've never seen anyone on here talk about it, and I'd like to get more impressions.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I already put one through homeschool HS so it is what we'll do for the other two as well.

My son did 9th at home and after that he was dual-enrolled in college for 10-12. In order to get the free tuition and qualify for Bright Futures I kept him as a dual-enrolled homeschooler until I graduated him in 12. It was a fantastic deal and he did well with that plan so it is probably what our girls will do.

I voted 'yes, no matter what'. The ps high schools here stink. And they're scary.

Two of dd's best buds are heading to school this fall (in outlying towns - not in the city), so it's kind of sad that they won't have all the homeschool stuff to meet up all year.

This year we are trying a private online school that uses the same curricula as a public online high school we are considering. If we like the style and the curricula, we'll go ahead and put them in the ps online highschool (not local) next year. I've never done anything like this before, so I'm feeling kind of worried. But no way do I want them spending their days at a facility.

I voted yes, no matter what. In fact, we're doing high school right now. :)

I went through cancer and homeschooled, so in terms of serious health crises, BTDT.

Dh and I are sold on homeschooling and are both deeply committed to it. In my experience, the people who take it "one year at a time" typically send their kids back to school during the high school years. That's fine---to each her own, and everyone knows what they can handle. However, I don't share that mindset. I've seen too many advantages of homeschooling to ever even consider sending my kids back.

I guess it surprises me that so many people here plan to put their kids in high school.

I said yes, barring extenuating circumstances. Two of mine have already graduated from homeschool, and I expect the other two will also.

I will sacrifice whatever it takes to homeschool through 8th grade, though. Our local middle schools are AWFUL (safety concerns, academics, etc.).

I didn't intend to homeschool through high school really. When I first started, I just took it a year at a time.

Then, we hit middle school and I thought, "No way am I dropping her into a regular middle school."

Then we moved to a different state, hit high school and my dd joined the high school sailing team. Just being around the regular school kids for a few hours a day drove her nuts. She thinks most of them are crazy, and their priorities are way out of whack.

We have a great local group of homeschooled teens, and I knew I could do a better job than the local high school, so there was no reason to send her to regular high school.