Menu

S/O poll question: do you plan to homeschool through high school?

do you plan to homeschool through high school?  

1. 1. do you plan to homeschool through high school?

• Yes, no matter what.
    • Yes, barring extenuating circumstances.
    • Probably, we will see how it goes.
    • No.
    • Other.

I hs'd one through, but I would love to find something else for my younger child. I just don't think I can serve her needs as well. I didn't vote, because I just don't know yet. We still have time. SHe is also a dancer, and it turns out that she is quite good. I can't see her dancing all of those hours (we know a few hsers who dance) a week and attending a B & M high school.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in an area where the HS is excellent and in many ways can give my kids things I can't apart from paying a lot of $. Which, I'm already paying in taxes. :glare: It's going to be a kid by kid basis and depends on what way they bend.

I'm NOT putting any of them in because I don't think I can do it, though.

It's funny, because when we first started homeschooling it was really a year at a time plan. As the years went on, many people dropped out of homeschooling, especially once the IDEA program came to town and made it just so complicated for too many moms. We have made it through one graduate, but really only because we had that ONE other family who schooled alongside us. She graduated a year before our dd, and it was REALLY hard! I wavered between guilt, exhaustion and just wanting to give up. What has made the decision easy to continue now, especially with ds, is just how BAD the local school is. I mean really, really bad in every way you can imagine :glare:

Yes I hope to with my DS at least. I can see DD the social butterfly wanting to attend PS, but I hope to do duel enrollment for 11th/12th so that might appease her when we get there. If we were to get into a great charter (haven't even applied to any) or free tuition at a really good Private HS I might consider it. Even then I'm not sure. I hate following rules an schools have so many stupid ones I'm not sure I could deal with it no matter how great the education.

We began to homeschool mainly because of the experiences that some of our adult children had when they were (briefly) enrolled in a public high school (following enrollment in a small private school). I will never consider enrolling a child in a public high school ever again. And no, we are not religious super conservative people either.

Since then, as we have learned more about school, public school, and home education, we are even stronger advocates of homeschooling.

My kids homeschool until the end of 8th grade.

I keep a ton of bookmarks and high school idea if they choose to stay home, but my town has hundreds of different high schools to choose from based on interests. About 30 or so are excellent and those are the ones they apply for.

Oldest dd has always been a fantastic writer and chose a high school for journalism.

Youngest dd lives and breathes dance and got into probably the best performing arts high school in the country.

Their experiences have been phenomenal.

Ds may choose a high school for art, drama, math, science, film making, or whatever else he is passionate about in 3 years.

So, that's why I'm ok with them choosing high school. If there were no choices about what school to go to, then I might be somewhat persuasive about staying home.

My oldest started taking classes at the community college at 16, so we bypassed high school altogether! She started out with one class per semester the first year (her junior year of high school), and two classes per semester the second year (her senior year of high school).

She decided to stay and complete her associate's degree before continuing on to a 4 year school for her bachelor's (also called the 2+2 plan). It's saved us a great deal of $$, because the community college averages $2500 a year (2 semesters) for tuition & books.

I just wanted to offer that as a possibility for the moms & dads who are just starting out on the journey

That is really cool. :)

I haven't decided yet. I am starting to come to terms with the fact that we may have an only child. Something I NEVER planned. With that lesson freshly in my mind I realize things don't always work out the way you hope. I think planning ahead all the way to highschool right now may not be in our best interest. I would love to get her through highschool, or even do what the above user (that i quoted) does! I think thats great! But truth be told I will be thrilled and proud to get my girl through elementry. I just don't know whats ahead.

With at least one of my children, it's very likely that he'll stay home until community college and/or trade school, then off to a 4 year university after that. He's already in his third year of high school work, adding in some college level materials this year.

The next one is already planning to return to brick and mortar school when she's ninth grade age. She's using mostly high school level materials right now.

The third might mostly stay home, but will likely do at least one year in middle or high school in a charter or high school in public school. I was hoping to send him for fifth this year, but the options weren't going to be positive experiences.

The fourth will likely go out somewhere to high school. She's too social to be home with just her and me, and her closest sibling will graduate on one end or the other of her freshman year, depending on if she keeps the grade skip we have her on now. She might go before, I don't know, it's year to year, and with our locally zoned elementary more over crowded and more understaffed than usual, it didn't seem logical to send them this year.

Edited by higginszoo

We plan on letting the girls decide. There are so many different options at that age for us. Public school. Homeschooling, a mix of both. Starting college early, maybe a alternative type private school (if they were to receive a scholarship) . If they were to choose public schools there would be some afterschooling.

I voted "other." It's a long way off, but we've always talked about possibly sending our sons to a Catholic boys' high school (either local or boarding). The girls' schools we've looked at don't seem nearly as impressive, either academically or spiritually, so I'm pretty much inclined toward homeschooling our DD's all the way through.

We are homeschooling for academic reasons. Our elementary schools have really low expectations for kids. Very little actual content is taught... grades, tests and textbooks are considered too rigid. Our local high school, however, does offer AP classes and more academic content... plus sports, theater, clubs... I have no reason to homeschool in high school.

I do plan to homeschool throughout high school, but I also expect that they will take at least some college classes during high school. Also, our state does allow homeschooled students to take advantage of public school classes and activities, so I suppose if one of the kids wanted something that was easily available at the public school, we would consider that (especially since we live only a couple of minutes from the school, so it would be fairly easy for a teenager to drive to the school for a class and then come home).

I put probably, we'll see how it goes. I don't have specific plans to put my kids in school at a particular point along the way. But I'm willing to if it ever begins to seem apparent to me that it may be more beneficial for them to be there for some reason, or if they really want to and I feel that they are old and responsible enough to help make that decision. We'll just see what happens!

I put my boys in PS, one in high school and the other half way through 5th grade. My adopted dd just had so many more issues than I ever planned and I could NOT homeschool three kids AND handle her, the farm, the house, etc. Because of our experience with both middle and high school, as long as I'm living, our girls will NEVER go to school outside the home until they're ready for community college classes. EVER.

There are so many options these days. I'm lucky in that if I'm ok with ps classes, our dd's can do school 100% online for free through our state. I haven't tried any of the classes but I do plan to outsource either with our online school or other private online classes in another year or two. I no longer plan to do every single subject with them. I'm going into my 14th year of schooling, my adopted dd still has severe behavioral issues (though they are MUCH improved) and I'm getting tired.

Well, I defer from answering the poll. :tongue_smilie:

I've always planned on homeschooling K-12. We did start K and she's just starting grade 7 with no public school sandwiched in between.

My desire is to homeschool up to grade 12. BUT......

I'm beginning to see that a "peer group" environment may be best for my only child. While she wouldn't "probably" go full time, there is a possibility of enrolling her in "high school blocked" classes....M/W or T/TH rotation. My dh and I would need to decide on the number of classes, but this is an option. We would maintain our homeschooling status, however.

Science got pretty hard for me last year, & that was only 4th grade. I'll try other programs, seriously consider outsourcing, & then...see. I still feel relatively confident that I can cover middle school, & as long as finances are available, I'm fine w/ working out the kinks for highschool.

The way things are now, though...well, I'm glad highschool is still a little way off. ;)

My oldest started taking classes at the community college at 16, so we bypassed high school altogether! She started out with one class per semester the first year (her junior year of high school), and two classes per semester the second year (her senior year of high school).

y.

This is what I'm hoping to do, but here we can start at 14. I'd like to start in grade 10 with one course to see how it goes. Then hopefully 2 classes each semester in grade 11 and 3 in senior year. That's the direction we're headed but it's a long way off. And if one if my kids wants to try high school, it will be at the private one my DH went to (which he still feels the need to contribute to the alumni fund...:glare:)

We are most definitely going through high school. My oldest just graduated and was homeschooled from kindergarten through highschool. There are always things that can be changed up to meet the needs of each child as they are on their homeschool journey. High school at home was an amazing experience for us. Definitely challenging but incredibly worth it.

I've always told dh, "If I invest 10 years of my life giving my kids excellent educations, I'm not sending them to HS so they can waste the next four years."

Seriously. I have a dd in public high school (college-prep high school run by a private university ... weird set-up, but yes, it's public). The education is not worth all the other crap that comes with it. And the regular public high schools in our district are a pathetic joke, so it would be no education and all the other crap.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

I voted "other." We plan on dual enrollment at a local college during high school.

We plan that too, but I still consider it homeschooling through high school because it is us choosing our own educational plan and not relying on the a high school.

Tara

Barring unforeseen circumstances, our ds will be in ps for hs. In fact, we may enroll him halfway through this year. It just depends.

But once he's back in ps, he'll most likely stay there. The only situation where I see us continuing to hs him, is if we stay in Texas, and don't move to Canada. Canada's schools consistently rate much, much higher than US schools. Plus, hs'ing in Canada would not offer ds the opportunity to meet nearly as many other kids, especially if we move somewhere rural.

Unlike here, where he'd already made several friends and has cousins, he wouldn't have a built-in social circle of friends up there. Hs'ing offers many opportunities, but it also has disadvantages, IMO, and that is why our son won't be hs'd up there.

I got "fired" last year. LOL! Dh does not like my putting it this way, but that's how it felt at the time. Ds did not want to home school through high school. Dh had always been a one-year-at-a-time home schooler, and I knew if ds ever wanted to go to school, dh would allow it. It was absolutely heart-wrenching to me at the time, and it took me about six months to get over it. However, it has worked out just great for all of us, ONLY b/c we found a great charter.

We are homeschooling in part for philosphical/theological reasons and those principles won't suddenly become untrue or inapplicable when my children turn 14! And the same benefits we enjoy now - individually tailored instruction, flexibility, family relationships etc. will also still apply.

And it seems to me that the opportunites for excellent learning scenarios are growing rapidly with the growth of homeschooling and technology. Right now we have friends with hs kids doing internships, tutorials, apprenticeships, co-ops, good jobs, college classes online or locally....

Unless radical Big Government makes homeschooling illegal, I can't see why the picture would look less interesting in 8 years when my oldest is 14.

I can see that we will need to outsource some academics and include teenagers' social dynamics in our family life, but it seems to me that the teen years are a fabulous opportunity for some really important parenting and that DH and I would be foolish to give them away!

I voted no. A year ago the answer would have been a definite YES, we will homeschool through high school. That was until my smarty 11yo past up my math knowledge. And is bored by his age level science. And I've got a degree in English Lit and have no idea how to do advanced, high school science at home, on a budget.

In the past few months I've learned of several great technical/science magnet high schools in our city. I've also learned that the community college has a dual enrollment program where he would earn a hs diploma and an associates degree at the same time. These are opportunities I don't want to pass up. I can't replicate a lab at home for him. And I've already hired the tutor for math.

We'll see what happens with my little guy but I suspect he will stay with me through 8th grade and then take advantage of one of the high schools here.

I plan on homeschooling through high school, so I voted yes but taking into account extenuating circumstances. I'm practical, and hsing is much more time efficient. Planning on using Clonlara perhaps (love the freedom), volunteerinh, and doing an apprenticeship in the field of their choice.

At this point, we plan to homeschool through high school and dc say they want to homeschool through high school, ” and even college, Mom,” but both dh and I were involved in a lot of extracurricular things in high school. Band, stage crew, pit orchestra, german club, etc. We also both earned AP credit in high school and our local schools offer quite a variety of AP courses. We'll make the final decision when we get there.

For us it is because high school has more flexibility than the other grades. My dc can go to high school for some of the classes they might want to take, like pottery, drama, or a for a modern language. They can be under the umbrella of the High School, take classes (and our school has the IB program) Join sports, band or other extra curricular actives, dances, homecoming all those things.

However, we can also use the local community college (and the school will pay for it) Gen chem at CC, rather than at the HS and things like that. I can also Homeschool some classes. I will have to work with the school so that it gets credits on the transcript, but it will be a mix of things.

I have just about completed my ds17 through all of high school. Some of the way I felt I was dragging him through it. He is now doing Open University courses, is completely self motivated, doing all the work completely independently and will be putting his application for university ( engineering) in next month.

I voted Yes, No Matter What.

The alternatives here are not that great. Even if they were, it would take a lot for us to send them to high school. A lot, lot, lot ... as in the beginning of TWTM book where Susan Wise Bauer talks about the ideal school - teacher/student ratio, etc. For me, that's a situation of "keep on dreaming" :tongue_smilie:.