Menu

What did/do you sing for a lullaby?

As I was putting my baby girl down for a nap today, singing her to sleep, I realized that I have sang the exact same songs to put my all 3 of my kids to sleep over the years. How about you? What songs do you sing to your little ones as a lullaby? Have you used the same ones for all your kids?

My standbys are: Amazing Grace, I'll Fly Away, Mockingbird

To oldest Dd I sang " I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" by Aerosmith.

To youngest Dd I sang "My Wish" by Rascal Flatts. I began singing that one but she much preferred the song from the Wizard of Oz, "Somewhere Over The Rainbow." So I sang that much more often and still do today.

To put them to sleep, The songs I would sing over and over while walking them around the house or rocking them were:

"You Are Special" (from Barney)

"I've Been Workin' on the Railroad" (all verses)

"Bushel and a Peck" (from Guys and Dolls)

LOL, I used whatever worked.

It changes over time (yes, I still sing to DD at age 4). In the beginning with was "Country Roads" by John Denver along with some personalized "bespoke" songs. I still sing those, but have included some Turkish rhymes as I've learned them and "Stay" by Jackson Browne. Poor thing gets quite a hodegepodge.

Oh and I also sing "Jesus Hold My Hand" - an old Baptist hymn. Not a sleepy time song, but one I know by heart.

that Welsh one that has "let peace attend thee" in it.

This is the one that I sang, but I can't remember the name of it now! I can't believe that I've forgotten considering the hundreds of times I sang that song. I also sang Mockingbird, Twinkle Twinkle, You Are My Sunshine, Jesus Loves Me, and some others, but that Welsh one was by far my favorite.

eta: Wait! I remember now. "Sleep, my child, and peace attend thee all through the night. Guardian angels God will send thee all through the night..." I think the name of it was All Through the Night. Great song.

Edited by MeganP

We still sing "Jesus Loves Me" every night, and I hope they never outgrow it! I have sung "Love Can Build a Bridge", "Brown Eyed Girl", "You Are My Sunshine", "Victory in Jesus", "My Girl", and I'm sure many more. I certainly don't have a great voice, but they still like to hear me sing. Sweet babies. :001_wub:

It's been different for each. You Are My Sunshine, Hush Little Aby, RockABye Baby, Twinkle Little Star, Jeses Loves Me are usually on the repertoire.

THose are all on the list followed by "God has smiled on me" and "Thou, O Lord, Art a Shield About Me".

I did notice I do sing the same songs, in the same order with all of them.

I would start with singing various songs and then, always, to wind down, hum "Edelweiss."

THEN she started asking for the "hm-hm song." So I complied.

THEN she started humming the "hm-hm song." and I couldn't contain my laughter. So it lost its value as a sleep aid.

Señora Santana -- but a different melody than what I can find anywhere now. It's definitely my kids' favorite, so I wish I could find the version I sing somewhere... I learned it as a child from a cassette of Mexican folk songs sung by a children's choir...

All the Pretty Little Horses

The Riddle Song (I Gave My Love a Cherry)

The Water is Wide

Mockingbird

Leatherwing Bat

I've pulled from the same repertoire for all of mine:

All Trough The Night

All Night All Day

Baby Mine

You Are My Sunshine

Knowing You

Bushel and a Peck

Caro Mi Bien

Glory of Love

Bye Bye Blackbird

Side By Side

This Road

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing

Some required more singing than others. DD6 was putting herself to sleep at two weeks, so she got fewer lullabies. All of mine had a totally different set of songs they wanted when they were fussy but not sleepy. (Think heavy drum beat, strong bass line, rock music. :tongue_smilie: )

I sang "Ivory Palaces" to my dd and some ditties with Brahms lullaby and Clementine using words I made about her. Ds has his own songs including a version (about him of course) of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot. It seemed weird to sing dd's songs to ds. He needed his own. But I guess the gap explains it. She had a lot of years of those songs being sung to her (9+). :)

My two most enduring ones are "The Pony Man" by Stan Rogers, and "Scarborough Fair." We have a lullabye CD called "Mrs. Moon" that has some really nice songs too - I particularly like one that goes:

Evening is coming, the sun sinks to rest

The birds are all flying straight home to their nest

Caw, caw says the crow as he flies overhead

It's time little people are going to bed

It's time little people are going to bed.

When they're tiny babies, I sing "Four Green Fields." But I have to stop before they're old enough to understand lyrics like "my four green fields ran red with their blood, said she."

Here's a sample of All You Are, by Michael Card. It's based on a poem by George Mac Donald called Baby. It's sooooooo lovely, I sang it even though one of my babies didn't have blue eyes for long, and the other had grey eyes. :)

---

Where did you get those eyes so blue?

They're from the sky that you passed through.

And what about that little tear?

Did you find that it was waiting for you here?

What about your little nose?

He knew you'd need it for the rose!

And as for your soft, curly ear—

He knew there would be songs for you to hear.

For all you are and all you'll be,

For everything you mean to me,

Though I don't understand,

I know you're from the father's hand.

How can it be that you are you?

He thought you up, and so you grew!

Because you're mine, it must be true,

That He was also thinking of me, too.

For all you are and all you'll be,

For everything you mean to me,

Though I don't understand,

I know you're from the father's hand.

---

Oh, and I also sang this one, in Portuguese. The rough translation is: One, two three, three little kisses, Mama's gonna sing you to sleep. Slowly, so slowly, sleep will come to you. My heart tightens and leaps inside me every time I see you smile. But now it's time to close your eyes—one, two, three, good night.

All of my kids had/have the same songs. I sing "The Rainbow Connection" (from the Muppet Movie) and "The Wedding Song" (Peter, Paul, and Mary). Occasionally I throw in "Where Have All the Flowers Gone" (Pete Seeger) and "Lullaby (Goodnight, My Angel)" (Billy Joel).

Subjecting an innocent baby to my singing would have been cruel, so I just counted. This could get disheartening as I always knew exactly how long I'd been at it (maybe I should just have murmured random numbers rather than going sequentially).

When it was my husband's turn, the baby went to sleep to either The Ballad of Wendel Clark or a lullaby by Steeleye Span called Cannily, Cannily.

"Take Me Out To the Ballgame" where we root, root, root for the Cubbies. None of this home team nonsense!

DS loved to be sung to whenever he needed soothing or was be put to sleep and that was one of the only songs I could reliably remember the words to at 3:00 am.

The others were "Margaritaville", "Amazing Grace" and "Hark the Herald Angels Sing".

He still gets Ballgame and we've added the Wiggles "Rock A Bye Your Bear"