Menu

What makes you think you can educate your child if you're not certified?

Certification has more to do with classroom management and less to to with teaching one child a particular skill or bit of content.

This is not to say that love and one-on-one tutoring conquer all. In order to be truly effective, a homeschooling parent needs to be able to admit when she is out of her league and either educate herself or farm out the task of teaching to someone who knows the subject.

Just a question I was asked recently. How would you respond to that one?

I drew a complete blank :001_huh:.

"What makes you think I'm going to answer that question just because you asked it?" (Seriously, we don't owe people explanations on demand.)

If I were in a slightly more polite mood, they might get "I think I can educate this child because I am educating this child".

No one asks the marathon runner mid-marathon what makes them think they can run. :glare:

"All teacher education is not just crowd control :glare:.

However, much of what is taught in college ed classes can be learned by parents rather easily, imo. Plus, using excellent curricula now available to homeschoolers, coupled with a superior learning environment, in which the child is highly valued, given one-on-one attention, and in which that curriculum is tailored to the learning style and other needs of that child, is more than likely enough to provide a positive schooling outcome."

But really, it's a laugh it off, I've got this don't worry myob kinda thing.

My sister asked me that. Ummm, let's see, I actually CARE if my kids learn what they need to learn. I live with them and can spend every waking moment working with them, if need be. :svengo: That is the most annoying question, isn't it? I have a Bachelor of Science...so it was a little offensive when my sister asked, "How could I possibly teach math and science?" :glare: There's no way a sahm could possibly have made it thru calculus! My degree was in laundry. Didn't you know? Sheesh, People. Seriously. And, this isn't the 1300s. We are (my guess) one of the most educated generations of women in history.

I can think of a few.

I haven't been brainwashed by the school system into believing that a certified teacher is a good teacher.

Oh you mean, certified like all the teachers at the local school where half the kids couldn't pass the graduation test?

It's just K-12, BTDT. I won't be homeschooling them for medical or law school, though.

Obviously they don't want a good answer.

Smile nicely and say, "I'm delusional."

Walk away. Just walk away.

Oh, no. Didn't you know that we homeschool to make our own lives feel fulfilled?

:smilielol5:

When did you get your degree in child development?

I can get pretty snarky on this one-mostly because I have the degrees and certifications, and they're not helpful at all. Not in parenting, not in homeschooling, and often, not in teaching. What has been most helpful in all three is experience, reading a lot, making mistakes, and more experience.

"What makes you think I can't?"

I absolutely LOVE this one, and I'm going to use it in the future. I try not to get into these types of discussions with people because you just can't convince some people. I have a Master's and people will still ask, "But is it in Education?"

I say sarcasm is better than just smacking them.

FWIW, many classroom teachers aren't certified, either. Private school teachers often don't have to be certified, and aren't. Post-secondary instructors aren't certified teachers, either, and many receive no pedagogical training at all before they enter the classroom. (I teach college writing and have no certification, although I have taken pedagogy courses. I don't know any college instructors who weren't first K-12 teachers who have a teaching certificate.)

If I were thinking I would ask what they thought the certification would actually mean.

If I were feeling snarky I'd give them a blank stare then shout out, "OH DEAR, There is something else I need to do, alert the media, I must find out how to get certified. Thank you, oh, thank you random person for bringing that to me attention. In my seven years of homeschooling that never occurred to me to be an issue. " Okay, I'd probably think that to myself and smile. Then they would avoid me because they think I'm weird.

Y'all have some brilliant replies so far. This one would be tough for me...I do have certification, & I did learn quite a bit in those classes, BUT I was planning to hs before I did cert classes, didn't do them *for* hs'ing, & would have done fine w/out them. I was actually smart before them (& managed to retain that despite them ;)). I was teaching college classes before being certified...which my be what I would say...college profs are not certified. It is only dealing w/ the peculiar population of the American adolescent that requires special training. :lol:

Right now I can think of several snarky things to say, but in the moment.....

I only had this question a few times. My family didn't ask it because I have a BA, all but one semester of an education degree, and worked for years at a Sylvan teaching and overseeing programs where students were receiving high school credit. I have had a few people who were considering homeschooling ask me this, in a terrified, can I do this, sort of way. I've told them my experience, then assured them that any reasonably intelligent person can do it.

If someone asked me just out of the blue, I just don't know how I'd answer. I'd probably stare blankly at them for a few minutes and ask them why they were asking. I may have to "rehearse" a few of the responses on this thread so I'm ready!

Oh, no. Didn't you know that we homeschool to make our own lives feel fulfilled?

:smilielol5:

I've heard it once or twice... I think by the same people who assume I have lots of spare time on my hands because I don't work at a "real" job. ;)

I absolutely LOVE this one, and I'm going to use it in the future. I try not to get into these types of discussions with people because you just can't convince some people. I have a Master's and people will still ask, "But is it in Education?"

That is my favorite one as well. It is simple and will likely leave them without something to say. Walking away after you say it is probably the best way to handle it though.

I do have a Masters in an education related field and people don't leave you alone even then. They just go to talking about socialization. :glare:

Wait, was this a cashier somewhere? I have the worst run-ins with cashiers, for some reason. Cashiers and in-laws. I must have a T-shirt on that says Ask Me About Homeschooling.

I have to do all my shopping this morning, so I need to plan for any questions I get. Also, my kids are on break right now from school (we school year-round), so that leads to some interesting conversations. Last week, it was, "Poor children. They do schoolwork during the summer?!" The outrage!

:willy_nilly:

When did you get your degree in child development?

I can get pretty snarky on this one-mostly because I have the degrees and certifications, and they're not helpful at all. Not in parenting, not in homeschooling, and often, not in teaching. What has been most helpful in all three is experience, reading a lot, making mistakes, and more experience.

:iagree: (I don't have the teaching degree, but wit everything else)

Everyone I know prays their kids don't get the first year teacher at the school. Why is that? She's got the degree, certification, etc. Isn't that enough? Oh wait - that's right. She's not experienced! She's going to be learning right alongside the kids for a little bit, right? ;)

I say sarcasm is better than just smacking them.

And being serious for just ONE scant moment, because I don't feel like being serious today, :D I have to tell you, you are probably BEST served by the one liner.

Why? Because at the end of the day if they truly wanted to learn about how homeschooling worked, what your day looks like, the pros of home education, and more... Well, then they would have worded it differently, kwim? The truth is they simply let whatever popped into their head pop out of their mouth. Anything I say that "engages" the debate is useless at that point.

I *really* would say, "I'm delusional," with a smile and walk away. If they really wanted to know more they'd probably ask another question. Otherwise it headed off what would have been a debate where neither person is ready to openly discuss and LEARN from one another.

When I first started homeschooling I prepared for people like this. Some of them were family members. I had statistics and quotes at the ready. I was prepared. Then I found they didn't really WANT to learn about homeschooling. They just wanted to make smart, quippy comments, and rude little jokes, or be flat out confrontational and engage in debate.

I've found a smile, a wink, and a smart alec comment usually gets a better response than an earnest answer posed by someone who asked a rude question. Why? Because at the end of the day they simply don't want (or won't accept) a well thought out reply. They'll debate it. And why? Why pour my effort and wisdom into someone who simply chooses to be rude?

I should add that "I'm just praying and obeying" with a very earnest and serious expression on your face will often hush people as well and that's probably a bit closer to the real truth for us. But it depends who I'm talking to as well. ;)

I ordered my certification from the Department of Vital Statistics. It clears me to parent them :D I've taught my children all sorts of things with that to back me up, like using the potty, how to do dishes, how to walk and talk. It's called a "Birth Certificate."

:banghead:

That question makes me SO mad because I COULD easily get certified if I had the money, I had to drop out of college due to money. I had a good high school GPA and got a 29 on my ACT''s. Its not like I am stupid because I do not have a certification....I know that I am equal to or smarter than some elementary school teachers here. I know one that cant spell to save her life and one that mispronounces words left and right. Just because I dont have a certification, doesnt mean I CANT get one.

Sorry...little vent there.

I actually just tell them that I could get certified if I had the money, but I choose to spend my money on good curriculum and enrichment for my childrens education and saving so they can go to college.

If 12 years of school didn't teach me enough to provide an elementary education to my children, then it's a darn good thing I'm going with choice B for MY kids. ;)

I usually go with this answer.

Seriously, I've been asked this before at least 100 times. I just smile very nicely and say "Why do you ask? Do you not think my 13 years of public education adequately prepared me?"

I usually go with this answer.

Seriously, I've been asked this before at least 100 times. I just smile very nicely and say "Why do you ask? Do you not think my 13 years of public education adequately prepared me?"

I heart you.

Facebook status CHANGED

Y'all have some brilliant replies so far. This one would be tough for me...I do have certification, & I did learn quite a bit in those classes, BUT I was planning to hs before I did cert classes, didn't do them *for* hs'ing, & would have done fine w/out them. I was actually smart before them (& managed to retain that despite them ;)). I was teaching college classes before being certified...which my be what I would say...college profs are not certified. It is only dealing w/ the peculiar population of the American adolescent that requires special training. :lol:

I just wanted to highlight that. I learned a lot in my education courses, as well. I can understand why homeschooling parents are made to feel defensive, but it's a bit unfair to characterize teacher education as simply being about "crowd control" or "classroom management." A lot more than that is taught.

The issue is that much of what's learned is simply not needed in a one-on-one setting, not because you don't have to deal with "crowd control"--honestly I sometimes feel like I spend more time doing "classroom management" at home with DS and DD than I did when I was a substitute teacher!--and that's all teacher ed training is good for, but because you have the freedom to tailor everything you do to your specific child/ren, to work at their pace, and to use whatever methods of evaluation/assessment work for your family.

But I don't think the training that teachers receive needs to be denigrated in order to somehow justify homeschooling parents not needing that training.

where do you guys live? I want to go there for a visit so I can use some of these smart alec retorts. Especially on my punchy days.

(I've never had anyone be ugly to me or question my decision about hsing. My dh says that I am just oblivious. It might be that I am too busy riding herd on my kids to pay attention to what other people REALLY mean when they say things.)

But I don't think the training that teachers receive needs to be denigrated in order to somehow justify homeschooling parents not needing that training.

The problem is that the question itself denigrates a homeschool parent's ability, qualification and desire. It isn't an honest question, it's only purpose is to make a parent feel they aren't capable of teaching their child. If someone asked me honestly how I went about it, rather than assuming I'm incapable of it, I'd be willing to enter the discussion.

"All teacher education is not just crowd control :glare:.

:iagree: I have a master's degree in education, and I can tell you without a doubt that there is MUCH, MUCH more to earning a teaching degree and certificate than just learning crowd control techniques.

However, much of what is taught in college ed classes can be learned by parents rather easily, imo. Plus, using excellent curricula now available to homeschoolers, coupled with a superior learning environment, in which the child is highly valued, given one-on-one attention, and in which that curriculum is tailored to the learning style and other needs of that child, is more than likely enough to provide a positive schooling outcome."

As part of my coursework in order to earn my master's in education, I had to write a research proposal. The topic I chose was whether non-certified parents could teach their children effectively. The research overwhelmingly agrees with Chris's statement above, which I highlighted in red for emphasis.

Edited by ereks mom

"What makes you think I'm going to answer that question just because you asked it?" (Seriously, we don't owe people explanations on demand.)

If I were in a slightly more polite mood, they might get "I think I can educate this child because I am educating this child".

No one asks the marathon runner mid-marathon what makes them think they can run. :glare:

:iagree: Great answer!