Menu

Here's a huge WWYD I need help with...

My kids are 24yoss, 22yod, 19yod, 18yod and 16yos. 24yo lives with his s/o and they have my precious grandson. 22yod lives at home and works nearly full-time, 18yodd lives at home, goes to college and works, 16yos lives at home, still hsing, and works.

My 19yo lives in Hawaii and she is expecting in August. Her husband is not deployed, but he has a fairly erratic work schedule. He will have a short time off when the baby is born.

Of course I am planning to travel and be with her for the birth, and for a time after. Here is where the WWYD comes in.

She would like me to stay about 8 weeks. Dh is fine with it, and can handle things here with no problems. I'm not worried about the oldest (only that I'll miss the grandson terribly), not worried about my 22yodd, 18yodd concerns me only because she is quite needy and I'm not sure how she will survive without me, and 16yos is really responsible and independent, and has dh here if he needs him.

I guess my thinking is that they all have one another, plus my mom who lives on our property, and my siblings that are close by. My dd in Hawaii has no one other than her dh, and she is having her first baby. She wants me there. Period. I want to be there. I just want someone to tell me it's okay to be there for 8 weeks away from my other kids.

Now, 16yos will fly over mid-way into my trip to see me (and possibly dh too), and it's even possible that 18yodd will come at some point because she may go stay with her sister for 6-8 weeks after I leave.

All this rambling to ask the question: WWYD?? Would you go stay in Hawaii for 8 weeks with your dd and your first (biological) grandchild, and leave the rest of your family here with one another?

With the ages of your children, extended family nearby, and your 19yo wanting/needing you, I would DEFINITELY take this opportunity to spend time with her! I know how much I appreciated my mom coming out and I was older! It may be good for your 18yo to NOT have you around for awhile and learn how to stand on her own two feet! :001_smile:

I don't have older kids, but I can't imagine being gone from my life that long. I also never had more than 2 weeks of help following the birth of a child, and usually closer to 10 days. I personally would not ever ask someone to go above and beyond like that. So... I don't know. Why does she need you that long? Is there some underlying problem?

With the ages of your children, extended family nearby, and your 19yo wanting/needing you, I would DEFINITELY take this opportunity to spend time with her! I know how much I appreciated my mom coming out and I was older! It may be good for your 18yo to NOT have you around for awhile and learn how to stand on her two feet! :)

:iagree:

That being said, 8 wks anywhere away from home would drive me 'round the bend. :blushing:

I don't have older kids, but I can't imagine being gone from my life that long. I also never had more than 2 weeks of help following the birth of a child, and usually closer to 10 days. I personally would not ever ask someone to go above and beyond like that. So... I don't know. Why does she need you that long? Is there some underlying problem?
Look at the ages of her kids. The youngest is 16. I wouldn't stay away that long if I had littles, but upper teens and 20's are often all on their own anyway! The dad will be there. There is family all around.

The 19yo is far away from home, having a first baby, may or may not have her husband there. That's tough for that age. I think she's not demanding it, she knows her parents and siblings and that it could be a possibility. I think she'd just love to have her mom there for that long, especially if her husband's not able to be there!

I think it makes sense for her to ask. :001_smile: Even if mom compromised and went for 4 or 6 weeks, I think it would be a great blessing for the 19yo going through all this for the first time!

ETA:

Gosh yes- you are talking about adults here.

But then, so is the young woman having a baby.

So do what you want to do, and what feels good to you, what would make you happy.

But they're not on their own, going through this type of thing for the first time without the husband around, possibly. That's why I felt it could be a good idea. They have each other and extended family to support them....

Edited by Brindee

I wouldn't hesitate to go and I think your other kids will be fine.

*My* only hesitation would be how your dd's dh feels about you staying so long. I was young when I had my first and really appreciated (and wanted) the stay-in help for the first couple weeks, but 8 weeks is a really long time to have a houseguest, no matter how loved. Add in some new post-partum hormones in mom and a sleep deprived dh and it may or may not go as great as everybody thinks it will now.

Your dd will need/want your help but IMO, the new parents will need some time to just "be" themselves, adjust to their new family and rely on each other. If it were me, I'd consider a shorter stay and go and visit again at another time (although I know airfare isn't cheap :()

With the ages of your children, extended family nearby, and your 19yo wanting/needing you, I would DEFINITELY take this opportunity to spend time with her! I know how much I appreciated my mom coming out and I was older! It may be good for your 18yo to NOT have you around for awhile and learn how to stand on her own two feet! :001_smile:

I agree. If you want to go for that long then you should go.

My husband deployed during my pregnancy and spent most of the first year of our kid's life out in the field getting ready to deploy again (which he did the same week our son turned 1). During my pregnancy I moved home to be with my parents, but I have no doubt that -had I not- they would have come to stay with me for as long as I needed.

In my culture, post-partum women are under different expectations than are Western (American?) women. My mom would have wanted me to eat traditional foods believed to best nourish a healing body and promote breastfeeding; she would have wanted me to stay in bed and she'd assume all household duties; she'd have wanted to be present for the 100-day ceremony. It would be assumed that my mother -at minimum, and most likely my grandmother, sisters and/or aunties as well- would come to stay with me for at least eight weeks, collectively. I know it's not an American custom, but it's a wise one IMNSHO (!) and I think your daughter deserves the benefit of it. Go. Be with her. 18 is an acceptable age to cut the cord LOL.

That being said, 8 wks anywhere away from home would drive me 'round the bend. :blushing:

Yes. I live across the country from my mom too, and as much as I love her and have a great relationship and she came for my dc's births too, I have to say that 8 weeks is too long for us. Three or four weeks is about right, with 6 being the ultimate maximum. We begin to get on each others nerves. Don't worry, after 4 weeks she'll secretly be glad to have you leave. No offence. :tongue_smilie: And even if she cries and begs you to stay longer, take a lesson from rock stars: go out while it's good; don't wait for angry tears and things to turn sour.

I'm guessing that if dd wants her mom there for 8 weeks they are the kind of family that does that sort of togetherness. Remember, grandma lives on the property with all the adult children, Dh and the 16 yo. It sounds like being together 24/7 is what this family does. Although, I'd make sure the DD's Dh was okay with the extended stay, but I can't imagine her marrying someone who wouldn't be okay with it, based on how she was raised, kwim?

I say GO, enjoy the time with your daughter. Make sure to get there early enough to help her nest! Mama's are invaluable to young mothers!

Look at the ages of her kids. The youngest is 16. I wouldn't stay away that long if I had littles, but upper teens and 20's are often all on their own anyway! The dad will be there. There is family all around.

The 19yo is far away from home, having a first baby, may or may not have her husband there. That's tough for that age. I think she's not demanding it, she knows her parents and siblings and that it could be a possibility. I think she'd just love to have her mom there for that long, especially if her husband's not able to be there!

I think it makes sense for her to ask. :001_smile: Even if mom compromised and went for 4 or 6 weeks, I think it would be a great blessing for the 19yo going through all this for the first time!

ETA:

But they're not on their own, going through this type of thing for the first time without the husband around, possibly. That's why I felt it could be a good idea. They have each other and extended family to support them....

I am not remotely concerned about a 16 and 18 year old teen being on their own. For *me* being away from home, from my life, for that long would not work. I would not be able to stand it.

My husband deployed during my pregnancy and spent most of the first year of our kid's life out in the field getting ready to deploy again (which he did the same week our son turned 1). During my pregnancy I moved home to be with my parents, but I have no doubt that -had I not- they would have come to stay with me for as long as I needed.

In my culture, post-partum women are under different expectations than are Western (American?) women. My mom would have wanted me to eat traditional foods believed to best nourish a healing body and promote breastfeeding; she would have wanted me to stay in bed and she'd assume all household duties; she'd have wanted to be present for the 100-day ceremony. It would be assumed that my mother -at minimum, and most likely my grandmother, sisters and/or aunties as well- would come to stay with me for at least eight weeks, collectively. I know it's not an American custom, but it's a wise one IMNSHO (!) and I think your daughter deserves the benefit of it. Go. Be with her. 18 is an acceptable age to cut the cord LOL.

That is very special! I like that!

Yes. I live across the country from my mom too, and as much as I love her and have a great relationship and she came for my dc's births too, I have to say that 8 weeks is too long for us. Three or four weeks is about right, with 6 being the ultimate maximum. We begin to get on each others nerves. Don't worry, after 4 weeks she'll secretly be glad to have you leave. No offence. :tongue_smilie: And even if she cries and begs you to stay longer, take a lesson from rock stars: go out while it's good; don't wait for angry tears and things to turn sour.
Funny, two pretty much opposite posts right next to each other! :001_smile:

My mom came 3 1/2 weeks before ds17 was born, and stayed 3 weeks after. Cuz she wanted to. And cuz I liked having her there. And cuz dh and my parents get along very well, and was find with it too. In fact, he was glad that my mom was still there to help with me and the baby and housework and stuff when he had to go back to work.

I didn't NEED her there, but it was an awesome experience for her to be able to be so involved with her grandchild. He still holds a special place in her heart because of it. And also because she was at his birth and got to cut the chord! Seriously that made her so very happy when I asked her if she'd want to do that! :D

Also, dh and I DID get time alone, because grandma would take care of the baby so we could nap, bring him when he needed to nurse, fix meals for us, and glow while she held the baby! It really was a neat time!

Anyway, I don't think everyone feels the need for mom to be gone, so we should not assume that! :tongue_smilie:

Ok, I'm starting to feel deprived. The *most* help I ever had was staying for a week at my parents b/c I hemmoraged with Diva.

I agree with the idea of a shorter visit. Eight weeks is a long time, esp when its new parents bonding as a family.

No, I would not go stay for 8 weeks. I would want to be there for the birth, but would leave soon after. My reasoning is that I would want my dd to learn how to be on her own with a child ASAP- this is her life now and she needs to learn how to cope on her own and she needs to bond with baby without grandma there wanting to hold baby for her, change baby for her, etc. It would be quite different if she lived nearby, but seeing as she lives off continent those first few weeks should be her baby moon for her, dh and baby. I would try to make some freezer meals for her, stock up her pantry with non perishables that make easy meals, etc. but I would go on my way.

Heck yes I'd go! I think 2-3 months is the perfect amount of time to go away though...

I think it's good to shake your world up a bit once in a while, keeps you on your toes, wakes you up, opens you up to change and a deepens appreciation of the familiar.

You can always go home early if gets to be too much.

No, I would not go stay for 8 weeks. I would want to be there for the birth, but would leave soon after. My reasoning is that I would want my dd to learn how to be on her own with a child ASAP- this is her life now and she needs to learn how to cope on her own and she needs to bond with baby without grandma there wanting to hold baby for her, change baby for her, etc. It would be quite different if she lived nearby, but seeing as she lives off continent those first few weeks should be her baby moon for her, dh and baby. I would try to make some freezer meals for her, stock up her pantry with non perishables that make easy meals, etc. but I would go on my way.

Hmm.. that's a good point. Plus, they might realize that asking her to stay that long was a mistake. (not in a mean way, just a "I think we've got this" kind of way)

I think that sounds really nice. Many 18 yr olds are away at college anyway, so being with grandma and dad is cake. The younger teen is going to join you at some point, and might even find it fun to 'rough it' without a mom. lol

I'd do it. I would love to do that if I could. My sister lived with me for a year after my third baby was born. She worked full time, but knowing she was going to be home in the later afternoon was a huge blessing. My dh was doing quite a bit of travel that year, so I was thrilled to have my sister. Not the same as a mom, but in my case, probably better...lol My mom is way too chatty, but my sister knows when to stop talking. ;)

Have a lovely time!

How does her husband feel about it?

I don't think I would do 8 weeks but I would probably do 6. I would fly out two weeks before her due date which would probably allow me to be there for the birth and then at least two weeks after (figure baby will come due date +/- 2 weeks).

I think it also depends on how often you expect to see her once you leave (whether she is traveling or you are).

Can you do an open ended ticket?

My dh was off for a week. Then my mom came for a week. Then church brought meals for 2 weeks. At the end of my mom's visit, I was still having bf problems. I remember, because I came back from a lactation consultation in tears and my mom went home. Luckily, dh was off that weekend and was a HUGE help to me over the next few weeks. He came home early, etc.....

If dh hadn't been able to be there.....well, I needed help. I was in pain (dr. did something with silver nitrate at my 6 week visit that fixed it), exhausted, trying to feed and pump to up my supply, etc... It didn't become a "baby moon" until about the 6 week point. Then, I felt I had things under control.

With your dd's husband having erratic hours, always the possibility of a c-section when they can't drive for several weeks, etc.... I think a long visit sounds great, though your dd and her dh needs to be the ones to decide how long.

Edited by snickelfritz

My mom came for 6 weeks. It ended up being three weeks pre baby and three weeks post (I went to 41 weeks). I had a very hard labor which turned into a ceserean, a short NICU stay, and a very high needs baby. She was a huge blessing, but we were ready to have our home back at the end. It just felt like time to find our new normal. I don't know what I would have done without her in the beginning. I could hardly get up and down while holding the baby (it was a rough cesarean), and having her to feed me was so amazing. The best thing was that she made me little sandwiches on dinner type rolls and fresh fruit cups for the middle of the night. My guy was never a sleeper, and those nights were soooo long. It was wonderful to be able to walk to the fridge and eat something yummy and quick.

So, I would definitely go, but I might cut the trip a little shorter.

A great thing my mom did was give us space every evening after dinner. It gave my husband and I a sense of normalcy with just the two of us, and after the baby came, it was a time for us to get to know each other as a family. Will you have your own bedroom you can retreat to? I might even go "sightseeing" the day after the little one comes home to give the three of them privacy.

Congratulations!

I don't see any reason why not. Some suggestions though (my mom just left this past week after being here about 2 1/2 months. Normally she drives me crazy after about a week, I love her very much, but it had always been an awkward situation. This time, even though it was so long, we had a really good time).

1)Make sure her DH is ok with you being there that long. Things will get stressful between THEM if he doesn't and that's a stress a new mommy won't need. If he is, move on to number two.

2)Ask her what kind of help she wants. If she wants you to do the cooking and cleaning, do that. If she wants you to help her in the middle of the night, do that. Whatever it is SHE wants, do that and only that. If you think of something you think needs to be done, ask her first. If she wants you to sit there and hold the baby while she cooks and cleans, then by golly, just sit and hold that precious baby.

3)Realize that she might do things differently than you and that's ok. If you have a suggestion of how things could be done differently, then suggest it. If she completely disregards it, it's not personal, it could just be she likes it a different way. For example, my mom always likes to do all the dishes at night. I like to do them in the morning. Neither is right or wrong, they are just different and it's ok.

4) Do not ever, under any circumstances criticize her husband. Again, unwanted stress for her.

5) Help her understand her wildly adjusting hormones and that they're normal. It's ok if she cries over the thought of Twinkies being discontinued at the grocery store. They're just hormones and they pass. And along this line, don't let her watch the news.

6) Probably the best thing about this past visit was that it gave me a lot of time to adjust and add back in responsibilities. After baby was born, my mom essentially took care of the house and my two olders. After about a month, I gradually started adding in washing dishes and making dinner and homeschooling and laundry, etc. That way I didn't go from her doing everything to me doing everything overnight. This was very important to me, because I'm generally a pretty bad housekeeper, but it got me on a pretty good routine.

7) Force that girl to sleep! After my second was born, I had PPD because of sleep deprivation (he didn't sleep through the night til he was a year) and we were worried it would happen again this time. It is vitally important that she be eating healthy and that she gets a lot of rest to deal with the sleep cycles of an infant. This is the only downside to newborns, sleep deprivation can really do a number on a person.

8) If she wants to nurse, get her a tube of Lansinoh and make sure she uses it. The first time is the hardest. And keep encouraging her, it is painful and she might want to quit, but remind her that it will get better.

9) Give them time to bond as a family. As you have no other family in the area, maybe go to the beach for a few hours or shopping or something. Do that a couple times a week when he is home and that way they can have some privacy.

As long as they want you there for that long, it could be a very sweet visit. I was 21 when I had my first and I had no experience with newborns. I was so scared and unsure of myself. My mom's presence really helped a lot. At any of my births, I know I couldn't have done it without her.

Edited by meggie

*My* only hesitation would be how your dd's dh feels about you staying so long. I was young when I had my first and really appreciated (and wanted) the stay-in help for the first couple weeks, but 8 weeks is a really long time to have a houseguest, no matter how loved. Add in some new post-partum hormones in mom and a sleep deprived dh and it may or may not go as great as everybody thinks it will now.

Your dd will need/want your help but IMO, the new parents will need some time to just "be" themselves, adjust to their new family and rely on each other. If it were me, I'd consider a shorter stay and go and visit again at another time (although I know airfare isn't cheap :()

If I ever have the chance to allow my daughter or daughter in law the chance to not only remember their baby's first weeks, but maybe even enjoy them, I'll be there. Heck, I'd even do that for my sister, even though I'd be grinding my teeth the whole time.

What is your 18 year old doing with herself? If you can, take her too. A bit of realism is a good thing.

Rosie

I do have some ideas about things I could do to leave them alone, even staying in a hotel for a few days here and there.

The main thing is she wants me there beforehand so we can shop, cook, decorate, prep diapers, etc. I've never been to see her there and she wants us to have some time before little Mac comes.

Then of course, she would like me to be there while she adjusts to breastfeeding, cloth diapering, night waking, and getting back to cooking and cleaning.

She will be coming home within 3 months of my leaving.

Her husband says he doesn't care at all.

I'm not sure yet what I'll wind up doing, but it's gonna be exciting!

Has no one mentioned that you'd have to endure 8, or 9, weeks in Hawaii??? I think this definitely needs to be taken into consideration. :D

Sounds like it would be wonderful. You can always adjust the amount of time you spend there according to how things go both there and back at home. :)

I had a pretty rough time after my first. Having my mom (who lives 600 miles away) around was a huge blessing, but she could only stay for about a week. I remember very clearly the desolation I felt when she had to leave me, barely able to walk, with excruciatingly sore nipples and a husband going back to work. There were many tears shed that day.

I say go for as long as you can! Your daughter is so lucky. :001_smile:

My kids are 24yoss, 22yod, 19yod, 18yod and 16yos. 24yo lives with his s/o and they have my precious grandson. 22yod lives at home and works nearly full-time, 18yodd lives at home, goes to college and works, 16yos lives at home, still hsing, and works.

My 19yo lives in Hawaii and she is expecting in August. Her husband is not deployed, but he has a fairly erratic work schedule. He will have a short time off when the baby is born.

Of course I am planning to travel and be with her for the birth, and for a time after. Here is where the WWYD comes in.

She would like me to stay about 8 weeks. Dh is fine with it, and can handle things here with no problems. I'm not worried about the oldest (only that I'll miss the grandson terribly), not worried about my 22yodd, 18yodd concerns me only because she is quite needy and I'm not sure how she will survive without me, and 16yos is really responsible and independent, and has dh here if he needs him.

I guess my thinking is that they all have one another, plus my mom who lives on our property, and my siblings that are close by. My dd in Hawaii has no one other than her dh, and she is having her first baby. She wants me there. Period. I want to be there. I just want someone to tell me it's okay to be there for 8 weeks away from my other kids.

Now, 16yos will fly over mid-way into my trip to see me (and possibly dh too), and it's even possible that 18yodd will come at some point because she may go stay with her sister for 6-8 weeks after I leave.

All this rambling to ask the question: WWYD?? Would you go stay in Hawaii for 8 weeks with your dd and your first (biological) grandchild, and leave the rest of your family here with one another?

Shoot!! I'd go on vacation to Hawaii for 8 weeks if I had the opportunity and the means. Let the adults fend for themselves and dh fend for the 16yo. Throwing a new granchild into the mix is a no-brainer. Absolutely no question. GO!

My mom passed away relatively young a few years ago but I was lucky enough to have her around when I had the twins at 18. I LOVED my mom being around to help, but of course I adored my mom. Now that she is gone I can't even imagine how I will do it again without her. Time is precious. If she wants you and you want to be there, I think you should spend as much time as you can! Let her ask as many questions as she can, tell her stories about what she did at that age, and take LOTS of pictures! JMHO :)

And congratulations!!!! :grouphug:

I went for 3 weeks when my oldest dd had a baby 3 years ago and my youngest 4 were 3 years younger so yes I would go for that long with kids that age. I have another dgc due in mid December and plan to be there for the entire holiday break (3 to 4 weeks) and my youngest two will be 15 and 12 (and not as mature as their sisters were at those ages).

Her husband is deployed and she'll have a new baby. That's why.

If you're comfortable leaving your family, your dh is onboard, your dd and her husband want you there then I'd go. It's a one time thing being there for your daughter and your first grandchild.

My mother was with me 4-8 weeks for each child. It was wonderful for all of us. Dh loved that I had support because he was very busy. I loved the prep time with my mom...washing and folding little clothes, buying diapers...She loved being there with me when the kids were born. She loved cooking, cleaning and walking the babies at night. My mom just loved to serve.

My mom has passed away, and some of my fondest memories and favorite photos are of those times when my babies were born.

Juli

Yes, I'd go. Honestly, i have NEVER answered a "should I leave my kids" post with yes, but this time it just makes sense. The clincher for me was that the 16 year old would come visit. But honestly, I think this may be an awesome chance for your kids to bond with their father. They will create special memories with him while you are gone, and you will have time with your new grandchild you will never forget. GO!