Menu

Iowa Wrestler Defaults Rather Than Face a Girl

One thought I just had is the poor boy who accidentally touches the girls "books" while wrestling, and ends up accused of sexual assault or something similar. No way would I let my son get in to that situation.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... I dunno, Sis. I have to agree with Donna on this one. Socially, a boy can't win (win or lose). Regardless of how it "should" be or whether or not he can learn to cope, it's what a guy is gonna have to deal with in this situation.

I'm one who agrees that boys and girls should be on separate teams for contact sports. I grew up playing basketball, volleyball, and running track. I also studied Martial Arts. I have to admit that I had "something to prove" as a teenage martial artist and was thrilled when I beat the guys. (Honestly, most of them were "going easy" on me. They didn't really want to spar a girl.) But I also felt much more comfortable sparring against other girls (especially those who were serious).

Now I have boys and girls and I can see the flack boys give each other bout the competition/the gender issue. It's really out there. A boy just can't win for losing.

I really disagree, I was in sports too.

Much of my time was filled with an activity where most of the guys who participated were REALLY gay. They were really really really did not care if "girls" beat them. They also did not care if they beat girls.

It is a macho thing. It isn't biologically impossible for guys to be unable to cope with competition with girls.

Edited by Sis

What happens if he gets an erection, or grabs a handful or her butt, which is also a strong possibility.

A: what happens if he gets an erection from wrestling a boy? I know someone later (page 16?) commented on gay teens and wrestling, but let's be honest: they're teenaged young men. Some of them get erections because the wind changes directions and makes their track pants rub funny. A very heterosexual boy could end up with an erection while wrestling. YOu can't always control that part of your nervous system.

B. would anyone know? they all wrestle in athletic supporters, don't they? I don't think you'd know if someone had an erection because if you happened to touch him in the genital area, all you'd feel is hard plastic. there are "pelvic shields" for women, too. I don't know if she wore one - I haven't investigated required attire for wrestling.

As to the comment about boys in "girls" sports. At my high school, we only had girls soccer - no boys team (why would we need it? boys play FOOTBALL! :glare:). A kid in my class really liked soccer and so he went out for and made the girls varsity team and played a season there.

Oh - and about starting a girls wrestling team? Remember: for this new team, the school will need to pay a coach, and pay for transport to games, and all those other things. It's definitely more cost effective for a school to just have a girl or two join the boys team than to try to start up a full girls division until there is a serious interest. Of course, this assumes that any other school in the area also does. There's little point in ABC high school starting a girls wrestling team unless DEF, GHI, JLK schools also have them. Who would they wrestle?

Oh, and FWIW, I don't think that boys who don't choose to forfeit are not gentlemen.

I have very mixed feelings on this situation (mostly I'm leaning in the "it's his loss, so whatevs" direction). I do understand SpyCar's comments, though.

I am struggling with the comments about him being a gentleman, mostly because it sort of implies that the guys who do choose to wrestle her (and obviously there have been some) are less than gentlemanly. They might be perfectly fine, upstanding young men. Also, this man who chose not to wrestle her could be a misogynistic jerk who kicks puppies, as much as he could be gentleman.

So what will happen to any intersexperson. Will you ban anyone who is born that way from every competing in anything? Will you insist on anyone wanting to compete in a sport being tested for gender, and if they aren't 100% one or the other disallowing them the chance to participate.

You do realize that making the entire world fair and perfect for all humans is impossible, right? The phrase, "Life isn't fair" comes to mind and refects a truth that is unavoidable no matter how hard you try.

Do you advocate NO destinctions between men and women, just in case someone might be offended or left out? No seperate bathrooms? No single gender clubs or organizations? No men only sports? Women only sports? Come on. Reality has to but it's ugly head in there somewhere.

Ah, but that is exactly what he did not: he did not treat her as HE wanted to be treated. I am pretty sure he wanted to be treated as an equal by his fellow male wrestlers. That is not the way he treated her.

He treated her as he THOUGHT she should be treated. For many centuries men were the ones who decided how women should be treated. I think it is time to ask the WOMEN how THEY want to be treated. Obviously, a girl who is wrestling wants to wrestle and is prepared to wrestle with the guys.

So, how can men decide how women should be treated, when the woman clearly has other ideas about her own treatment?

However, his faith dictates that he treats a woman with *respect* and that means that he keeps his hands off of her. His pastor said this: "We believe in the elevation and respect of woman and we don't think that wrestling a woman is the right thing to do. Body slamming and takedowns, that full contact sport is not how to do that."

This is their faith-based opinion.

The *girl* no more gets to dictate to this boy how she wishes him to act than he gets to dictate her actions. If there is equality for all then his actions should be supported by all. She doesn't get to tell him he has to wrestle her and he doesn't get to tell her she can't wrestle.

Above in this very thread pqr already has:

No he has not there are different legal standards for assault on male or female victims. There is a profound legal difference. Oh yes ,I forget I am not to mention that I am an attorney. I suppose I should just talk out of my experience rather than my education....:lol:

No he has not there are different legal standards for assault on male or female victims. There is a profound legal difference. Oh yes ,I forget I am not to mention that I am an attorney. I suppose I should just talk out of my experience rather than my education....:lol:

So, there are different legal standards of assault for males and females BUT there should not be different standards upheld with regards to male and female contact within sports?

So, there are different legal standards of assault for males and females BUT there should not be different standards upheld with regards to male and female contact within sports?

No, as one is consensual the other is not. You are comparing apples and oranges. Frankly science tells us that there is no way to fairly assign even within the weight ranges a male to female comparison with factors such as muscle mass and density of muscle tissue. It seems reasonable to say that females should wrestle females for the fairness in competition based on science not religion. I cannot walk and chew gum in coordination so I have no dog in this fight . No chance of athletic involvement in this woman or her offspring. IF you ever want to know the difference in muscle mass and density try to throw a man of equal weight and general fitness down to the ground.

Really, I think pretty much everyone that posts regularly here already has been told, or KNOWS you are a lawyer. ;)

However, his faith dictates that he treats a woman with *respect* and that means that he keeps his hands off of her. His pastor said this: "We believe in the elevation and respect of woman and we don't think that wrestling a woman is the right thing to do. Body slamming and takedowns, that full contact sport is not how to do that."

This is their faith-based opinion.

The *girl* no more gets to dictate to this boy how she wishes him to act than he gets to dictate her actions. If there is equality for all then his actions should be supported by all. She doesn't get to tell him he has to wrestle her and he doesn't get to tell her she can't wrestle.

SPOT ON.

Would we be having this conversation if it was a girl who was uncomfortable? Earlier a poster wrote about her son being on a synch. swim team. What if the girls were uncomfortable? Should they have to just deal with it or would we be more sympathetic? Uggh ~ this thread is getting to me. I'm going to bed - good night.

Would we be having this conversation if it was a girl who was uncomfortable? Earlier a poster wrote about her son being on a synch. swim team. What if the girls were uncomfortable? Should they have to just deal with it or would we be more sympathetic? Uggh ~ this thread is getting to me. I'm going to bed - good night.

:iagree: I would not allow my daughters to be on a swim team where a boy was lifting them out of the water by the butt and inner thigh. Nor would they want to be. Sorry, I think syncronized swimming should be a girl thing. But then, that wouldn't be fair...right....:rolleyes:

The truth is women have been body slammed and taken down by attitudes such as these, which debase and disrespect them in ways that are far more injurious than anything they face on a wrestling mat. The girl earned her place to wrestle in the tournament. The boy denied her the opportunity. That is not to be celebrated as gentlemanly or honorable. It is nothing of the sort.

I can't believe we are having this debate in the 21st Century.

Bill

I just randomly went to youtube and searched "boy", "girl", "wrestling" and this is the first video I clicked on. Seriously - the first one. The girl wins this one by wrapping her leg around the boys neck with her crotch right in his face. And I mean, planted in his face. Um....I'm speachless. I must be the oldest, most prude, old fashioned, ignorant lady on earth. I can't imagine ANY father wanting his daughter to participate in this. I can't imagine any girl wanting to wrestle a boy or visa versa. I am lost here because I can't believe we are having this conversation at all, in this, or any other century.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G_-Mxh4sFM&feature=related

I just randomly went to youtube and searched "boy", "girl", "wrestling" and this is the first video I clicked on. Seriously - the first one. The girl wins this one by wrapping her leg around the boys neck with her crotch right in his face. And I mean, planted in his face. Um....I'm speachless. I must be the oldest, most prude, old fashioned, ignorant lady on earth. I can't imagine ANY father wanting his daughter to participate in this. I can't imagine any girl wanting to wrestle a boy or visa versa. I am lost here because I can't believe we are having this conversation at all, in this, or any other century.

You're not alone, Katemary, you're not alone!!!

:iagree:

Anne

The truth is women have been body slammed and taken down by attitudes such as these, which debase and disrespect them in ways that are far more injurious than anything they face on a wrestling mat. The girl earned her place to wrestle in the tournament. The boy denied her the opportunity. That is not to be celebrated as gentlemanly or honorable. It is nothing of the sort.

Bill

And *I* cannot believe that you think this is acceptable positive male/female behavior in the 21st century! If you watch to the end you will see how just lovely this new "male female equality in sports" really is.

It is genuinely disheartening to hear any man degrade another man for showing *respect* for a woman. THAT is something.

Defaulting robbed the young woman of the opportunity she earned to compete. I don't find that to be sporting or gentlemanly behavior in the least.

True enough, but forcing the lad to go against his principles isn't sporting behaviour either, considering forfeiting is legal. I'd think the appropriate thing for a chap to do in this situation is shake hands and apologise. The girl should be sporting and accept his apology. It's rotten for both of them, but sometimes life sucks and at least these actions would allow them both to come out with some honour. That means something even when it doesn't count on the score board.

What if all the boys decided to forfeit because they didn't want to wrestle perfectly qualified girls? It's just a slippery slope for me.

Then the girls wouldn't have anyone to compete with unless the boys took their morals that step further and supported the formation of a girl's team in the form of fundraising, showing up and cheering, or whatever is required. See the stand they were making through to its conclusion.

Rosie

The way you phrase this, is to me very demeaning. "So what it's a girl". As if the fact the persons gender makes them less worthy.

It actually was not my phrase but the phrase of groups of young male wrestlers at various time periods in my life. This is the way the boys feel. Anyone who thinks it doesn't make a difference has never been in a wrestling room, hearing how the boys talk and joke with each other or been on the mat coaching.

They are plenty impressed with a girl who beats the boys. We have known a few especially in the years before puberty...not so many now. They acknowledge the girls' skills but they wouldn't want to wrestle the girl for the reasons I stated...not out of fear of losing just because there is no glory in winning. My son actually had a female practice partner at one club he went to when he was around 10yo. The club was one of the main clubs for girls training in freestyle wrestling for the Olympics and believe me, many of those girls/young women could beat boys/young men but not those with equal size/talent. She was the only wrestler his size (actually a little bigger) and she was rather good. She was a good practice partner for him but when live wrestling she wasn't able to score on him though she did beat other boys in matches who were not as strong or fast. The teens practiced with people of their own sex for the most part unless there was no match-up available.

For the person who stated something about them wrestling in cups...um, no, they wear a singlet only. I have never known a wrestler to use a cup.

His most certainly did rob her of the opportunity to compete in their round and in so doing cheapened her "victory." She "won" but did not get to compete. That denied her an opportunity she had earned.

Bill

Well, she'll get to prove herself in the next round now, won't she?

lisa

Bill

I know. Anything goes in the 21st Century, right? And if you don't agree with it, and try to make a stand, you're racist, sexist, whatever.

Lisa

Dh wrestled in high school and when he was describing the moves he'd make to beat an opponent the same thing popped into my head...what dad would allow his daughter to be groped like that by a boy for points?!

I admire the young man for being brave enough to take a stand in this pc world.

Edited by Sophia

:iagree: I would not allow my daughters to be on a swim team where a boy was lifting them out of the water by the butt and inner thigh. Nor would they want to be. Sorry, I think syncronized swimming should be a girl thing. But then, that wouldn't be fair...right....:rolleyes:

Just so you know, none of the girls quit the team because there's a boy on it. None of the parents complained, not even the dads (and they were talking to me before they knew he was my son).

I'm just glad we didn't get this attitude here, because it's the only sport my son ever enjoyed. He is very musically inclined, and to swim to music means a lot to him. He was on the swim team before, and very miserable there. Some kids are just wired differently. And there isn't a big difference between what they do in synchronized swimming and in pair ice skating where a boy and a gir are the norm. In fact, lifting someone else is so hard, the guys just don't think about where they put their hand. Add to that the fact that my son is underwater holding his breath for quite a bit, and there's no sexuality there, I can assure you...

As for wrestling, yes, the crotch goes in the face, but in a suffocating way. My experience with judo tells me the guy who's on the receiving end is thinking about getting out of there, not enjoying the moment ...

Just so you know, none of the girls quit the team because there's a boy on it. None of the parents complained, not even the dads (and they were talking to me before they knew he was my son)...

My problem with the boy wrestling isn't about sexuality, but violence, so I think it's a completely different situation than synchronized swimming. I can't see a problem with a boy on a synchronize swim team. I can't imagine that your son is doing anything different than male cheerleaders, male ballet dancers, and male figure skaters have been doing forever when they lift young women.

I don't see why this argument is about sexuality at all. If a young gay man was in wrestling I would expect my son to wrestle him regardless of any potential sexual feelings that may or may not occur.

Thank you! I have been waiting for someone to say this.

I think that if the boy wasn't up for wrestling a girl, then he shouldn't have gone out for co-ed wrestling. If there is no single-sex wrestling, then perhaps some other sport would be a better option for him.

But then again, John Irving has pretty much forever put me off on wrestling, regardless of gender.

Edited by JennyD

I see what the boy did as a taking a stand against violence on women.

not that I'm a fan of wrestling to begin with...

of course, then, there's the case of the girl wrestler, football player on Glee. :lol: That was funny watching her take down every opponent. then she gets up and puts the move on Puckerman. :lol:

-crystal

Bill

I can't believe people are debating this either, but for entirely different reasons. Apparently in the 21st Century, "choice" and "tolerance" only apply to certain people.

This young gentleman also earned his place to wrestle in tournaments, but he voluntarily gave up that opportunity at this tournament because it apparently bothered his conscience to wrestle against a member of the opposite gender. Why can't some people tolerate his choice?

What makes that courageous? Serious question.

Most kids or even adults these days will not sacrifice much of anything for their beliefs by standing up to their school, organization, employers or what have you. I'm betting there are probably at least a few other young men who completely agree with that young man, but lacked either the conviction or the guts to be willing to publicly take a stance, especially if it might cost them a match.

In contact sports, gender makes all the difference. It doesn't mean much to outwrestle a girl. It's hard to imagine that you have any experience with combat for such a reaction (may be you do but hard to imagine).

I agree. First thing I was always taught in self defense:

Even a man smaller than me can probably very easily take me down. This was why the main goal of most female self defense is to get the heck away and the second is to disable - then get away. The very fact that the attacker is a man is a huge disadvantage to be avoided if a woman wants to win the fight.

For that matter, my dh is very nearly my exact match in body mass and only an inch taller. If he ever felt inclined, I'd be a goner.

It is not sexist to be a realist. It is not saying women are weak or incapable or unworthy. It is saying women are not men.

Yeah. I noted that as well.

Well, she'll get to prove herself in the next round now, won't she?

lisa

Sorta. She was pinned in the next two rounds and I think that was the end for her. Not sure if she qualified for further matches.

i was trying to find out what happened to the wrestler in the above linked NY Times article since it mentioned a January court date. I googled his name and it seems like there is more to the story (shocking!) than the Times listed.

The boy is accused of sexual battery because...well...why is that men sometimes don't enjoy a prostate exam?

he is accused of doing more than just the butt grab move.

another article:

http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/02/17/2276978/county-board-of-ed-upholds-expulsion.html

Hill has not attended Buchanan this school year because he began the school year on suspension. In addition to being kicked out of school, Hill also was charged with sexual battery in Fresno County Superior Court.

The criminal charge was dismissed Jan. 27 without Hill having to admit wrongdoing after he and his teammate attended an educational program.

The program was organized by members of the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department's SHARE program. SHARE stands for Stop Hate and Respect Everyone. The two also wrote essays about what they learned.

According to the teammate and his parents, Hill had bullied the freshman by taking his water bottle. After their son stood up to to Hill, Hill made a threatening gesture with his fingers to indicate that he was going to use the butt-drag move, they say.

I wonder how long it took for the sheriff's dept. to come up with that acronym?

So the "threat" was that he was going to use a perfectly legal wrestling move while on the mat during a practice match?

Geez. No. That is not assault, much less sexual assault. Stupid I suppose bc if he hadn't said a thing, the other kid would have nothing to whine about. As it is theonky thing he had to whine about is that his opponent tipped him off as to what move to avoid!:glare:

No, not blaming the girl. If the rules state she can play, then she can play. HOWEVER, I don't think they should be allowed to play in the first place. I don't think my son should have to potentially touch a girl in a way that makes him feel uncomfortable. It's a high contact sport and I just don't think it's appropriate. I think if girls want to wrestle, then they should find an all girl wrestling team.

So the "threat" was that he was going to use a perfectly legal wrestling move while on the mat during a practice match?

Geez. No. That is not assault, much less sexual assault. Stupid I suppose bc if he hadn't said a thing, the other kid would have nothing to whine about. As it is theonky thing he had to whine about is that his opponent tipped him off as to what move to avoid!:glare:

No, Martha...I am sorry I was trying to quote the resolution part.

He is accused of using the move to p3n3trate the other wrestler with his fingers.

A young man of character and conviction.......my bet is that he will grow into a man of character, something that is all too rare these days.

Bravo.

I would prefer this as well but I think he's going to have a really difficult time living this down. Just look at some of the responses on this thread. He's coming across as a woosie-butt and a sexist because he won't grapple with a young girl. I bet he will be treated as an outcast by both sexes at school. How sad for this young man.

No, Martha...I am sorry I was trying to quote the resolution part.

He is accused of using the move to p3n3trate the other wrestler with his fingers.

Hmmm. But is that what happened? If they are really using muscle to get a good grab, it might feel like that. Do a google search for wrestling butt grab maneuver images. They ALL look rather invasive!

I would prefer this as well but I think he's going to have a really difficult time living this down. Just look at some of the responses on this thread. He's coming across as a woosie-butt and a sexist because he won't grapple with a young girl. I bet he will be treated as an outcast by both sexes at school. How sad for this young man.

And you know the most twisted thing?

It will be the same women who in future years will lament the inability to find a good man who will treat them like a lady and with respect.:glare:

Hmmm. But is that what happened? If they are really using muscle to get a good grab, it might feel like that. Do a google search for wrestling butt grab maneuver images. They ALL look rather invasive!

That's the question.

The accuser said it happened.

A couple articles quoted wrestling coaches that said sometimes it happens but that is not the intent of the move.

Who knows what the truth is?

Bill

Hypothetical question...if the dear lad was a Muslim instead of a Christian, would you still condemn him, if he forfeited on the basis of his faith?

It's a good thing he is homeschooled then, eh?

It's a good thing he is homeschooled then, eh?

Oh goodness, I didn't know. I find that even worse. That's just more bad hype for homeschoolers, IMHO. It will probably fall under the big ole stereotype that all homeschoolers are being overprotective and won't let their kids out into the "real" world.