Menu

Iowa Wrestler Defaults Rather Than Face a Girl

Would it be considered different if the boy bowed out because his oppenent was going to be Black/Spanish/Jewish...

Yes, I think that would be completely and utterly different.

I am the mother of one daughter - one very athletic little girl. Developing her athletic skills is something that is very important to my husband and myself. It's the one area of her education where we spend the most money! Not to mention a great deal of time and effort. I want her to know how strong and capable she is in her body, because I think that is so important for a healthy self-image. Now you may think I'm hopelessly old-fashioned or even sexist, but the fact remains, I do NOT want her sparring against boys at her taekwondo tournaments. I've watched several tournaments now, and the level of aggression and the plain old strength involved is just plain different. Matching boys against girls in combative-type sports is questionable, at best, to my mind. So I think anyone involved in the sport has a right to act in accordance with their conscience, and accept the consequences of their choice. This young man did that quite gracefully, it seems.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen wrestling matches? They are quite involved. My son was often hurting, and he was a decent wrestler.

I'm not saying girls aren't tough enough. Those girl wrestlers were pretty hard-core. I was kinda proud of them. And this is a weird topic for me because both my dd10 and ds7 take Karate. Sometimes ds has to spar (sp?) with a girl. For some reason this doesn't bother me too much, probably because he usually spars with a friend and they giggle the whole time. Wrestling just seems so much more ... personal?

Yeah I have seen wrestling matches.

Wrestling is HUGE in the midwest.

I wasn't arguing about wrestling being more intimate, I agree. I wouldn't be offended if my daughter was a wrestler and someone didn't want to wrestle her for those reasons. I *would* be offended if someone didn't want to spar her in karate because she is a girl.

Edited by Sis

That's true but what I've seen is that there is usually 1 girl on the whole team or gym. So it does puzzle me on how there are enough women for the Olympic stage. Of course, I haven't seen EVERY team.

Maybe it doesn't exist now, but it very likely could in the future. A lot of things start with just one person with a vision. Title 9 will make a way for girls to compete and if there are enough of them competing, they will be a force to be reckoned with when they get enough numbers. Having their own league would just be the next step the same way they have a with women's soccer and basketball.

Have you seen wrestling matches? They are quite involved. My son was often hurting, and he was a decent wrestler.

I'm not saying girls aren't tough enough. Those girl wrestlers were pretty hard-core. I was kinda proud of them. And this is a weird topic for me because both my dd10 and ds7 take Karate. Sometimes ds has to spar (sp?) with a girl. For some reason this doesn't bother me too much, probably because he usually spars with a friend and they giggle the whole time. Wrestling just seems so much more ... personal?

You know, I thought so, too, at first. Come to find out, it's much more personal to punch someone in the face. Wrestling is close contact and very difficult but not more personal.

Yeah I have seen wrestling matches.

Wrestling is HUGE in the midwest.

I wasn't arguing about wrestling being more personal, I agree. I wouldn't be offended if my daughter was a wrestler and someone didn't want to wrestler her for those reasons. I *would* be offended if someone didn't want to spar her in karate because she is a girl.

I can see that. I don't know why I can see that, but I understand. I would respect a boy if he didn't want to spar with my dd because he didn't want to hurt a girl. I don't think I would like it for my dd's sake, but I could respect him.

And oh my goodness! I had no idea how HUGE wrestling was here! I'm in Nebraska and it is like a religion here.

He deserves the right to default. He is making a choice. It is his morals and no one elses. I could see my son taking the same moral choice.

Yes, he joined the sport knowing that girls were involved. He probaby made this choice long ago to take a default, and has just now been put in a position to defend it.

I applaud him for sticking to his moral grounds.

:iagree:

You know, I thought so, too, at first. Come to find out, it's much more personal to punch someone in the face. Wrestling is close contact and very difficult but not more personal.

True. I could see how it would be more personal to punch someone in the face. I just have weird personal space issues. I don't like people in my bubble. I could punch someone in the face much easier than I could wrestle them.

What do you think about this?

http://www.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20110217/US.Girl.Wrestler.Default/

The defaulting wrestler is described as a home schooled (not sure why that's relevant) wrestler strongly favored in his class. He said he made the decision to default because wrestling is a combat sport that can get violent and, as a matter of conscience and faith, believes that it is inappropriate for him to engage with a girl in that manner.

I'm torn. On the one hand, I respect the kid for holding his own values higher than those of a sporting event. On the other, I'm ticked. The girl qualified. Girls are not excluded from participation, and he knew that when he decided to participate in the sport. It kind of makes me mad that he denied her the opportunity to earn her win or loss.

Thoughts?

I am torn as well. Often girls participate in traditionally boys sports because there are not girls teams, and when there are girls teams they participate in them. I have seen it in Soccer and basketball in our area. It makes sense to blaze trails, and I appreciate the young women who made it possible for our daughters to play sports. But at the same time it is an advantage and disadvantage to be a girl in predominately male sports. I know my very young son (7) isn't as competitive with girls on the opposing team as he is with boys. I actually had to tell him that it is okay to body block a girl, and steal the ball from her, just like he would if she was a boy. I can't imagine how he will feel if he actually hurts a girl while playing which isn't just possible but probable at some point, and part of sports.

As for wrestling, I am less torn. I am pretty laid back and I don't have a problem with bikinis, or the idea shielding boys from impure thoughts, but I don't think it is appropriate to roll around with them either. What happens if he gets an erection, or grabs a handful or her butt, which is also a strong possibility. I think it puts them both in a very awkward position.

Defaulting robbed the young woman of the opportunity she earned to compete. I don't find that to be sporting or gentlemanly behavior in the least.

Bill

He really didn't rob her. She got a win and gets to go on to the medal round while the boy goes on to the consolation round. He is apparently an outstanding wrestler and gave up the chance because he stood behind what he believes to be the right way to treat women.

My ds does not wrestle but in this young man's position would have done exactly the same thing. He has been taught from the cradle up to not act in an aggressive manner towards females. Period. Winning at a sport does not trump our values.

I haven't read the entire thread ~ but I read the article and I fully support what the young man did.

Of course, I also quite firmly believe that mens and womens sports ought to be kept separate. I realize that isn't a popular opinion these days, but it's mine. :)

I can see how it would be a no-win situation for him. If he plays and he beats her, there's no honor. If he plays and he loses, he's in an equally uncomfortable position. If anyone is hurt, he's either deeply embarrassed or at fault. If he doesn't play, then perhaps he's out-of-touch or chauvinistic...

I can see how it would be a no-win situation for him. If he plays and he beats her, there's no honor. If he plays and he loses, he's in an equally uncomfortable position. If anyone is hurt, he's either deeply embarrassed or at fault. If he doesn't play, then perhaps he's out-of-touch or chauvinistic...

I totally disagree, my dd is in karate and there are no such issues at the tournaments.

If someone does have those feelings it would be pretty immature for a competitor.

If another karate parent told me that then I would tell them they needed not blame their issues on my daughter. Any activity involves competition whether it is competing for a chair in orchestra, knowing the right answer or being able to take down an opponent. If they can't do that without getting sulky then that is their issue to work out.

Edited by Sis

He really didn't rob her. She got a win and gets to go on to the medal round while the boy goes on to the consolation round. He is apparently an outstanding wrestler and gave up the chance because he stood behind what he believes to be the right way to treat women.

His most certainly did rob her of the opportunity to compete in their round and in so doing cheapened her "victory." She "won" but did not get to compete. That denied her an opportunity she had earned.

Bill

My ds does not wrestle but in this young man's position would have done exactly the same thing. He has been taught from the cradle up to not act in an aggressive manner towards females. Period. Winning at a sport does not trump our values.

Wrestling is not aggression, it is sport.

Bill

I applaud him. The girl also joined, knowing she was a minority in the sport and that this was a possibility.

Personally, I think it is OK to have gender separation on some things. Feminism is carried too far sometimes. If women want to wrestle, then have a women's team. Basketball does that.

:iagree: I think it's gross and inappropriate for guys and gals to compete in a sport that has THIS close physical contact.

ETA: I guess I'm old fashioned.

Edited by katemary63

Having been "the girl" I can find fault in this young man's stance. When I was going through the police academy (and to an extent fire fighter training) there was no gender. In the same way this is a wrestling club and the competitors are wrestlers not young men and young women.

If I had to wait until there was another girl available to go through take downs and hand-to-hand training I'd have waited up to year, possibly two because women in law enforcement were not as plentiful back then.

By the same token this young lady is part of the wrestlying team - apparently this team is the only show in town so she should be thought of as a wrestler not as a girl.

There is a difference between children's sports and adult jobs. If a man can not do his job because of his beliefs then the consequence is that he is fired, or should be. Refusing to do your job if it means contact with a woman in a way that could be construed as violent or sexual is a form of sexual harrasment. By refusing it points out that the woman on the job is not deserving of equal treatment based on her sex.

I wish the young lady could be thought of as only a wrestler, but hormones are not going to allow most boys or girls to forget.

Spycar, I understand what you are saying. But, maybe when you have a teenage boy, as I do, you will think differently. Any contact sport between the genders is going to produce, exactly that, CONTACT. Now, in a perfect world, the young ladies who go out for wrestling would be prepared for the fact that if they wrestle boys, and the boys try to win honestly, then there is going to be contact with their privates. At some point in the season, there is going to be contact. So you'd think that they and their mommies and daddies would have the common sense to be prepared for this and not start screaming that the scum bag boy molested their daughter in plain sight of coaches, officials, teams, etc. But, that is not how it works.

Boys are always guilty in these incidents until proven innocent and even when shown to be innocent, suffer the consequences of loss of integrity and aspersions cast upon their character. The girl always comes out smelling like a rose. The boy's future is worth a whole lot more than whether or not she got to "earn" her move up to the medal round.

He made the right call.

Faith

If it were my boy, it would be NO! I've seen this happen around here. The girls go out for the wrestling team and some of them are very, very good. Then they claim "molestation" because he accidently touched something. Sorry ladies, there is no way to do that sport and not end up with contact between him and your lady parts. Can't be done. The schools always, always, always come down on the boys.

Faith

I am quite willing to wager that you cannot provide a single example of this actually happening outside of your own mind.

Spycar, I understand what you are saying. But, maybe when you have a teenage boy, as I do, you will think differently. Any contact sport between the genders is going to produce, exactly that, CONTACT. Now, in a perfect world, the young ladies who go out for wrestling would be prepared for the fact that if they wrestle boys, and the boys try to win honestly, then there is going to be contact with their privates. At some point in the season, there is going to be contact. So you'd think that they and their mommies and daddies would have the common sense to be prepared for this and not start screaming that the scum bag boy molested their daughter in plain sight of coaches, officials, teams, etc. But, that is not how it works.

Is there an example of this occurring? I have never heard of such a thing. Generally in wrestling there are coaches there, it isn't like they are off wrestling all by themselves.

Boys are always guilty in these incidents until proven innocent and even when shown to be innocent, suffer the consequences of loss of integrity and aspersions cast upon their character. The girl always comes out smelling like a rose. The boy's future is worth a whole lot more than whether or not she got to "earn" her move up to the medal round.

He made the right call.

Faith

Come on Faith, this is a total straw man argument. A boy wrestling a girl in front of a huge crowd at a state wrestling championship is in danger of being charged with molestation???

Really?

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Yes, I can produce this. However, I will not give names. It is not fair. It has happened in Michigan. It has happened to a family the church we attended six years ago. Their son, then 14, was accused openly by the girl in front of everyone. Their son was given a three day suspension from school while the video tape of the match was reviewed. The coaches did not have a say in this.

A.D. and Sis, I sat in the church nursery and held that mom in my arms while she cried about the things the young lady was saying about her son, the things people were assuming...that's he'd deliberately "copped a feel".

I really think that you are out of line to accuse me of imagining it! Seriously, where is your proof that I'm making it up! I could call you a liar for not being able to produce evidence that this has never occured.

It's an open forum to express our opinions. I expressed mine without attacking you.

Faith

His most certainly did rob her of the opportunity to compete in their round and in so doing cheapened her "victory." She "won" but did not get to compete. That denied her an opportunity she had earned.

Bill

I definitely see your POV, which is what made his decision so difficult, imo. Sometimes in life, you look like a louse no matter what you do, so you have to forego the opinions of others for the sake of what you believe is right. According to both Plato & Jesus, this is the more honorable choice--doing what you believe is right even when it makes others think less of you.

So while I realize that people will not all agree w/ the actual content of his choice, I think it's reasonable to at least hope that we can respect the difficulty of that choice.

I am quite willing to wager that you cannot provide a single example of this actually happening outside of your own mind.

Then it must be only in my mind too. Our youth football team had a couple of girls in different divisions. One of the girls and her parents went ballistic because her breasts were being touched. I am not quite sure how that is possible, since they have shoulderpads which come over the chest area. But it was awful. They accused nine year olds of inappropriate behavior of a sexual nature. It was so ugly that I told my son not to tackle her during practie if she had the ball, and to let her go by in blocking drills. Soon most of the boys were doing the same thing. I felt bad for the girl, because she became a leper on the team and quit. Whereas the other girl in the older division went on to kick for the high school football team.

I definitely see your POV, which is what made his decision so difficult, imo. Sometimes in life, you look like a louse no matter what you do, so you have to forego the opinions of others for the sake of what you believe is right. According to both Plato & Jesus, this is the more honorable choice--doing what you believe is right even when it makes others think less of you.

So while I realize that people will not all agree w/ the actual content of his choice, I think it's reasonable to at least hope that we can respect the difficulty of that choice.

I thought Jesus taught that you should treat people they way you would have them treat you?

I don't see how this young man's actions conformed with the Golden Rule.

Bill

I did not say that he was charged. Not from a criminal perspective. The girl screamed and then lodged a complaint. The complaint was heard. Tapes had to be reviewed and the boy received a three day suspension from school pending the outcome in which he was exonerrated. Just because it doesn't happen in your neck of the woods doesn't mean it hasn't happened in mine. I KNOW THE FAMILY PERSONALLY but I will not say their names or the school because it is unfair to them. It was a humiliating experience for them.

Thankfully, the local papers chose not to carry the story because everyone thought it was ridiculous and these were minors...they needed to tread lightly and did.

This is the last time I will post in this thread. Good grief.

Faith

I didn't imply you were making anything up. I just asked about an example of some sort or a link. It isn't unreasonable to want a citation for something so outlandish.

I am shocked that something like that happened, I do know a lot of matches are recorded. One of my history teachers in high school have a son who was a wrestler and he was paralyzed during a match, they have a tape of him being paralyzed permanently. I cannot imagine.

What was the result of the review?

ETA: we cross posted. It is good he was exonerated. I cannot imagine how hurt he and his family was by such an accusation. :(

Edited by Sis

I can't imagine a mixed football team.

Our middle school team has two girls on the team and as far as I can tell it hasn't been a problem for anyone. One of my nieces was on the football team all the way through high school.

On the other hand, I do agree that this is difficult for a lot of people involved.

He picked the sport knowing he might have to wrestle a girl. The organization decided to allow girls to wrestle and let everyone know they might have to wrestle a girl. Would it be considered different if the boy bowed out because his oppenent was going to be Black/Spanish/Jewish... Would he then be allowed to say "I wouldn't wrestle a person like that."

He should either wrestle, or not wrestle. He shouldn't be allowed to pick or choose like that. Sure it might mean he can't wrestle since there may be no "boys only teams". But how many women have had to put up without sports since there was no team that would let them play, Period.

Playing with the Boys: Why Separate is Not Equal in Sports

This! Yes! This is the crux of what has been bothering me about this issue. I just couldn't identify it. Thank you!

I still see both sides, and I don't question the boy's character at all. I think he handled it very honorably. But really...this is what has been bothering me all along.

I have to agree. Honestly, I can't say that I would want my son wrestling against girls, nor my daughter against boys. It doesn't seem ... appropriate, somehow. I also think "equality" is sometimes taken too literally - or as they say with siblings - treating siblings fairly does not mean treating them the same.

I thought Jesus taught that you should treat people they way you would have them treat you?

I don't see how this young man's actions conformed with the Golden Rule.

Bill

Well...if she had refused to wrestle him because he's a boy, I think he would have understood. :D

But really, he sees men & women as different. She sees them as the same. W/out making a moral judgement, both perspectives are equally valid. Why does hers have to be respected & not his?

He did, imo, treat her the way he would want women he loves treated: w/ more respect than the wrestling mat offers. This is not a new concept, or one limited to women: there were times when royalty could hardly compete in anything because people would forfeit to them, too.

Whether or not one agrees w/ his choice, again, I think it's reasonable to respect that it was difficult & that it was at least intended in the same way the example above was intended: to show respect/honor.

Maybe she didn't want that kind of respect, but Jesus didn't say to treat others the way they want you to treat them but the way you want to be treated.

Plato spends more time talking about this subject, though, imo.

There was one little boy who cheered in my DD's rec cheer league last year. Apparently, his older brother is a college cheerleader, and he wanted to cheer, too. I do wonder how this will play out when he gets to a level where stunting is part of competition, since that requires physical contact.

Thankfully, the local papers chose not to carry the story because everyone thought it was ridiculous and these were minors...they needed to tread lightly and did.

That is admirable. The media isn't always so selfless. I just googled and there was a story about a young man being accused of sexual assault because of a "butt drag" move that he did during a wrestling match with another boy. Criminal charges were filed but the judge dismissed the case. I'm sure the poor boy's reputation was completely trashed nevertheless. And if accusations like this can happen during same-sex matches, personally I would imagine that they are even more common during mixed-sex matches. But that is just me pondering. I have no experience like what your friends went through, Faith. I am so sorry for them.

If he knew he would not follow the rules he ought never have entered the tournament. He took a slot that might have gone to another young person and he robbed a young woman of her chance to compete.

If he could not abide by the rules the honorable action would have been not to have entered the tournament.

Instead he acted dishonorably and stole an opportunity from a young woman.

Thou shalt not steal.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

He did, imo, treat her the way he would want women he loves treated: w/ more respect than the wrestling mat offers.

Maybe she didn't want that kind of respect, but Jesus didn't say to treat others the way they want you to treat them but the way you want to be treated.

Ah, but that is exactly what he did not: he did not treat her as HE wanted to be treated. I am pretty sure he wanted to be treated as an equal by his fellow male wrestlers. That is not the way he treated her.

He treated her as he THOUGHT she should be treated. For many centuries men were the ones who decided how women should be treated. I think it is time to ask the WOMEN how THEY want to be treated. Obviously, a girl who is wrestling wants to wrestle and is prepared to wrestle with the guys.

So, how can men decide how women should be treated, when the woman clearly has other ideas about her own treatment?

This is why girls shouldn't be allowed in these types of sports. There are some things they just need to leave to the boys. OR form a 'girls only' wrestling team.

*ducking*

Really? So you're blaming the girl here? :confused:

Sounds kind of like "women should know their place."

Not attacking, but man.....that's shocking to me. Truly.

This is why girls shouldn't be allowed in these types of sports. There are some things they just need to leave to the boys. OR form a 'girls only' wrestling team.

*ducking*

:iagree: Dd and I had this discussion yesterday without knowing anything about this news story...it's odd that the topic is here today. We both agreed that it is not a good thing for a girl to do and would put the girl and the boy in a very awkward position. Girls wrestling? Yes. Girls versus boys wrestling? No.

If he knew he would not follow the rules he ought never have entered the tournament. He took a slot that might have gone to another young person and he robbed a young woman of her chance to compete.

If he could not abide by the rules the honorable action would have been not to have entered the tournament.

Instead he acted dishonorably and stole an opportunity from a young woman.

Thou shalt not steal.

Bill

:lol::lol::lol: Did you have to stand on your head to come up with that twisted mess??

Ah, but that is exactly what he did not: he did not treat her as HE wanted to be treated. I am pretty sure he wanted to be treated as an equal by his fellow male wrestlers. That is not the way he treated her.

He treated her as he THOUGHT she should be treated. For many centuries men were the ones who decided how women should be treated. I think it is time to ask the WOMEN how THEY want to be treated. Obviously, a girl who is wrestling wants to wrestle and is prepared to wrestle with the guys.

So, how can men decide how women should be treated, when the woman clearly has other ideas about her own treatment?

So, what should have happened to him for not wrestling her?

Really? So you're blaming the girl here? :confused:

Sounds kind of like "women should know their place."

Not attacking, but man.....that's shocking to me. Truly.

No, not blaming the girl. If the rules state she can play, then she can play. HOWEVER, I don't think they should be allowed to play in the first place. I don't think my son should have to potentially touch a girl in a way that makes him feel uncomfortable. It's a high contact sport and I just don't think it's appropriate. I think if girls want to wrestle, then they should find an all girl wrestling team.

:iagree: Dd and I had this discussion yesterday without knowing anything about this news story...it's odd that the topic is here today. We both agreed that it is not a good thing for a girl to do and would put the girl and the boy in a very awkward position. Girls wrestling? Yes. Girls versus boys wrestling? No.

Yes, this. :001_smile: