Menu

List of Borders to close

Well only one of the two in my area are closing. I expect the others in VA have similar stories... multiple stores in a trade area, closing the lower performing of the stores, and expecting some of the difference will be made up either on-line or at the store that is kept.

Our Borders Express isn't going to close. On one hand, that's good because it is the only bookstore in town. OTOH, they have yet to have any of the books I need immediately (usually classics the kids need for school, so nothing obscure).

Same here. If I want to browse a book store I go elsewhere.

A Barnes & Noble gal here only because there has never been a close Borders to me. I usually use Amazon as well but, with my guys playing baseball, I go by my B & N 5 days per week. If they don't have it, I just order it and go!!

However, I find it very sad that any bookstore is closing. It's like a library closing :-(

Honestly, I didn't frequent it much and I bought very little from it. I buy used or just borrow from the library.

I'm not sure why ours couldn't make it here as our economy is okay (the new restaurants popping up right and left).

I feel sorry for the folks losing their jobs and I hate to see empty storefronts.

The ones I recognize off the CA list are all fairly close to a Barnes & Noble. We always shop B&N first because they tend to have a better selection than Borders. Pretty much the only time I ever go to Borders is if I need to kill time before/after a movie (it's right next to the cineplex).

But look on the bright side...maybe they will be selling their remaining inventory really, really cheap and we can all stock up on the classics that no one else will buy, everyone else will be buying twaddle! :001_smile:

I read that clearance sales might start as early as this weekend. My kids are going to be visiting grandparents. I sense a book-buying retail therapy binge at hand.

They're only closing one of the two stores here, and I'm totally not surprised. I've been amazed that the one they're closing hasn't closed years ago. It's never busy. And I'm incredibly thankful that 'mine' is staying open. I don't think I could live without my Border's hot chai every few months.

Well only one of the two in my area are closing. I expect the others in VA have similar stories... multiple stores in a trade area, closing the lower performing of the stores, and expecting some of the difference will be made up either on-line or at the store that is kept.

If I remember correctly, you live close to me and I discovered the same thing.

I've been in the store that's closing only once...but I love the one in CP! And it looks as if it does a good business.

Hopefully, it will survive.

Mine is staying open. Barnes and Noble and Borders are within a mile of each other and both always seem to be busy, which is a good thing. I am also thankful for our mom and pop bookstores and try to frequent them whenever possible... Truth be told, I'm more of a library person but I like being able to buy gifts of purpose.

It is sad! I can't believe that the King of Prussia store in PA is closing. It is such a high end mall that is always packed and there is no other bookstore in it.

My dh and I were just talking about bookstores and entertainment stores (CD?DVD) closing. My dh thinks that they eventually will pretty much become something of the past. In today's economy they just can not keep up with the big online stores that can out price them by a huge margin any day. It is impossible to compete when they are brick and mortar and have huge expenses compared to say Amazon.

But look on the bright side...maybe they will be selling their remaining inventory really, really cheap and we can all stock up on the classics that no one else will buy, everyone else will be buying twaddle! :001_smile:

I'm hoping I can get there while they have some good sales.

Ours is staying open (not that it matters much since the children's section has become a toy section and the most of the rest doesn't have any meat to it). Our B&N here is better.

From what I could find on the list, at least 5 in a 25 mile radius from us are closing, including the two in our city. But, I agree with what mammaduck said ... our B&N is much better. Though B&N sells toys too, it's nothing compared to our local Borders; I could not stand taking the boys into it, as there was only twaddle and toys. I will be interested to see what they have if there is a clearance sale, but will probably go by myself.

I do feel badly for all the employees at the closing stores; that is an insane number of people losing jobs. And, though I love Amazon Prime, I also realize that it's things like Amazon that is bringing an end to the era of bookstores.

I don't see that any of the ones in the Houston area are closing. I shop at B&N because I don't have a Borders close to me, but my MIL shops at Borders, so she'll be happy.

One of the reasons I no longer shop at Amazon much is because I'm afraid of the impact it's going to have on local stores. I can see the day when there are no local bookstores and that just scares me. I've discovered so many treasures by browsing, and I'd hate to lose that.

In some metro areas Borders had clearly extended itself too far. The purchase of Waldenbooks didn't help. They grew quickly from being a one off shop in a college town to a huge chain. Probably too quickly.

They are my favorite of the big chain stores though and I hope they pull themselves out of this.

I've lost a few Borders that I visit but not all. They are giving up some major addresses though.

Thanks for the list.