Menu

How many hours do you spend at school with your 1st Grader?

How many hours do you have school with your 1st Grader?  

1. 1. How many hours do you have school with your 1st Grader?

• 1hr
    • 2hrs
    • 3hrs
    • 4hrs
    • 5hrs+

Another Mom I talk to mentioned that her two boys have *six* hours of school a day! I personally feel this is way too much for a child of 1st and 2nd Grade levels.

J does Handwritting, Reading, Math, Grammar and Spelling every school day. Some days we also add in Religion (which right now is just learning his prayers-one at a time of course), Spanish (maybe 10minutes), ASL (again, maybe 10minutes), American History (I read outloud to him about a famous American and do comprehension checks then, maybe 15 minutes at most), Science-ok this is fun stuff, it can last all afternoon ;-) State History/Geography, I want him to know where the state is and the capitol city.

Some days we sit down at 830a and are done by 10a, with *everything*, other days it can be much closer to 1130. I do not count Science in, because like I said, that can last all afternoon.

I feel and J is showing me, that he is learning. Is this "normal" or am I really not giving him enough and should be "pushing" more?

Most days we *could* be done in an hour, if there's no complaining or procrastination or interruption. Some days there's a bigger project or experiment, so it might go as long as two hours, rarely three but that's if she gets really involved in a craft or book. Average is somewhere between there, 4 days a week, year-round. There's no way I could fill 6 hours with school.

Edited by K&Rs Mom

I voted 2 hours but most days it was probably closer 1.5. I liked to keep things short and relaxed for k-2. My primary goals for those grades were getting them reading, developing handwriting skills, and laying the foundation for math. Everything else was just gravy. Oh and lots of read aloads, but I never really counted those as school time.

I voted 2. It's usually between 1-2. However, that doesn't include our outside activities or evening read alouds. If you included our co-ops and things like that, then I don't know. Then again, that's usually about an hour or two of structured activity and then 3 or 4 hours of the kids playing and playing and playing while the adults hang out and eat fancy cheese if we have some.

My first grader typically does between 5-6 hours a day although today he did 6.5 hours. Compare that to the standard public school student he still has much more free time. I count everything in the 5-6 hours and we spend a lot of time in read alouds and hands-on activities. Seat work probably takes 1-2 hours a day. For instance today I counted an hour for PE (sledding), 1/2 hour for dancing around to praise and worship music, 1 hour toward read alouds, 1/2 hour for a math DVD he wanted to watch, 1/2 hour toward a Math computer game, and 1/2 hour for a science project with Play-Doh.

Edited by Wehomeschool

1-2 hours of work with mommy. However, that doesn't count dance, music, science class, our once-a week co-op (which is somewhat educational, but I consider social), free reading, reading before bed, building with legos, scratch programming, or a lot of the other stuff DD does. I can easily get to the 4 hours a day my state expects homeschooled kids to have if I needed to, and I suspect I could make an equally good case for 6 hours a day or even more.

Seatwork - maybe an hour. But we have out loud reading time, she takes dance, circus, violin (practices 6 days for that), Spanish, and we do many, many hands on field trips. My first grader also reads probably 4th - 5th grade level so she reads independently as well.

About 3 here but that includes numerous interruptions from little brothers, short breaks to play with said brothers, and snack time. It doesn't count read alouds...that's a min of another hour.

I recently did a trial run with my middle guy to see how it's going to work with two students and it was a lot longer because ds6 wanted to teach his brother instead of doing his own work. It was cute but resulted in a long day. We're back to the drawing board on doing K and 2nd together. Hopefully, I'll get it figured out before the baby comes (soon) and our new school year (June). 6 hour days won't work around here.

I voted 2 but it is often times less. She does her CLE math, reading and LA every day which only takes her about an hour. She listens in on science, Latin, Spanish and history. I don't count piano or the hours she spend pretending with her little sister, or play practice or Daisy Scouts and all the other places she is learning.

I said two, but it was spread out, and I didn't count read aloud time.

We did Saxon 2, some reading games, SOTW 1 and nature journaling from time to time. We also did Spelling Workout, and Leading Little Ones to God first thing in the am.

I honestly didn't keep track very well.

Haven't read the other replies, so maybe someone brought this up--sometimes people count the breaks and lunch as part of the school day, like they do in public school.

I hate posting and then falling asleep way too early! This is what happend last night.

This is strictly book work that is being counted into a school day. I could never imagine making J, or any child sit and do book work for 6hrs a day.

I feel better knowing that the amt of time we do spend on school a day is *very* typical!

I voted two hours, but that's just for hard-core seat-work (math, reading, religion, Spanish, history, science, grammar, writing). There are lots of extras: classes outside the home, independent reading, fun reading, supplemental (to science, history and Spanish) reading, music, physical activity, crafts, art, field tries, etc. that aren't included in there. But the seat-work takes about two hours.