Menu

So, uh, I have this "friend," (cough), who wants to know...

What your experiences were like pertaining to pregnancy after age 35 and whether you 1) had more trouble conceiving than you did when you were younger, and/or 2) had any pregnancy complications that you hadn't had when you were younger, because she's going to be 38 in just over three months and her husband has agreed to trying for one more baby (she never thought she'd see the day and she's ridiculously excited but also nervous because she's read some worrisome statistics on decreases in fertility and increases in m/c rates and increased risk of genetic abnormalities and so on and so forth).

So would you share your stories with... er, her?

:)

Well, I'm excited for your 'friend' for this new journey!

I had both of my children late. #1 was born a week shy of my 35th birthday, and #1 was born when I was 39.

Yes, there are increased instances of genetic abnormalities, thus the pressure to get screened by your OB once you're pregnant (we skipped those). The instances of naturally occuring twins is higher as you get older, too...so keep THAT in mind LOLOL.

We had more trouble conceiving both of our boys in that it took months and months, but that would be a mixture of my age and my weight (abnormally overweight and abnormally underweight women have higher instances of infertility/slow fertility). But both came at God's timing..and we have two beautiful, wonderful, loved boys.

how lovely for your "friend".

my "friend" would like to tell her that *she had two in her twenties and two later.... *she was 39 and 40 (almost 41). and had two miscarriages, one before each of the last two.

fwiw, before *she started, *she and her husband had a deep heart to heart about the stats, the testing, genetic abnormalites, etc, etc.... so that they were both on the same page, as much as is possible, anyway. it made dealing with doctors much more straightforward. one thing i hadn't reckoned with was that it would mess with my thyroid...

:grouphug:

ann

My dd was born weeks before I turned 40. As to difficulty conceiving, I can't say. We weren't "trying" but neither were we preventing. She was conceived 6 years after ds was born. My ds's are 3 years apart and it seems like the 1.5 years of "trying" for ds2 were harder because we expected I'd get pregnant quickly like with ds1.

It was a more difficult pregnancy for me in that I had morning sickness--I didn't have this with my other 2. And she got stuck on the way out. Thankfully I had an epidural--I don't think I could have managed all they had to do to get her out without that.

The coming home and getting back into a routine was easier because my sons were older and could manage a lot on their own.

Best wishes to your "friend" with whatever the future has in store. :001_smile:

I will be 36 when this newest baby is born. I had my 5th baby when I was 34.5. I haven't noticed any big differences, health wise. I guess the biggest difference is how tired I am, but I AM chasing a lot of little ones around, so I don't think it is just pregnancy related! ;)

I did not have any harder of a time getting pregnant, but I did suffer my first miscarriage between #5 and #6 ( I should say my seventh pregnancy, counting the miscarried baby).

I was/am? concerned about the same things, so I asked my midwife, who has over 25yrs. experience of home and hospital births if, in her opinion, she had noticed a climb in the number of birth defects as a woman got older. She told me she had not, and that she often noticed it in younger women. That totally goes against all those reports, doesn't it? I know a woman who is probably in her late 20s who had her first child several years ago, and that baby has Downs. So. I wouldn't worry too much about the age factor. 38-ish is not too old to have a baby!

If she goes with a midwife, there will definitely be less of a push to do all those tests. Yes, she will be asked if she wants them, but she won't be pestered at every appt!

I think it is great that your "friend" (cough) hehe is trying for another one. Wishing her all the best.

Guest CarolineUK

Oh how lovely :D. I had my first at 35, second at 37 after a miscarriage (conceived immediately after miscarrying, so was a little unsure when he'd be due!), then struggled for year to conceive number three, who was born when I was 40. During our struggles to conceive DH was talking to an old university friend of his who had a big gap between her first and second and she had been advised low dose aspirin, which worked for her (I can't remember why) and which I tried while waiting for an appointment at a fertility clinic; by the time the appointment arrived I was pregnant. We then had an accident when I was 42, which ended in miscarriage, but gave me an intense desire for just one more. My last DS was conceived just six months later and has been a complete joy. Both DH and I would love another, but now we really are too old :crying:.

Wishing your "friend" luck, and looking forward to hearing the good news when it happens :001_smile:. Your "friend" seems a lovely Mum and it'll be a very lucky baby.

ETA I had no complications whatsoever with the successful pregnancies, was very fit and healthy (although bad morning sickness), and even after the birth of DS3 recovered quickly and was full of energy (he was born at home and I was up washing the bathroom floor less than twelve hours after he was delivered, crazy but true).

Edited by CarolineUK

I had no trouble conceiving. But, the problems I had with my 20 something pregnancy were there for the 30 somethings. The 2nd pregnancy was very hard and the docs kept saying "this is why we don't like geriatric obstetrics". I switched docs :) One big thing I noticed was that the recovery time from delivery was longer in my late 30s than it was in my mid 20s.

My experience is with babies born at age 34, 38 and (surprise!) 44.

The last pregnancy did have significantly more fatigue associated with it, but I was pretty lucky in that department with the first two. I expect if I had pregnancies when I was younger to compare to that they would have been easier, but all of mine were pushing the "advanced maternal age" category. None of them caused major problems.

No difficulty getting pregnant with any of them. No age-related birth defects with any of them. No miscarriages.

Best of luck to you(r friend)!

My 4th was born when I was 36. Conception didn't take very long, but with us the more surprising thing is that we only have 4. Difference while pregnant: I ended up with Gestational Diabetes that was managed with diet and daily finger pricks. I exercised throughout the pregnancy so I didn't have the sciatic pain I did with #3. I napped more, tired easier, and recovery was longer. Baby was completely healthy and just turned 5 last week.

ETA: Drs. tried to push more tests and tell me that stuff that was completely normal for the other 3 pregnancies was something that needed watch because I was of "Advanced Maternal Age".

I had my kids at 33, 35, and 42.

The third was a total surprise, and was conceived regardless of precautions (condoms). So no, I would say that my fertility was not adversely affected by age.

I didn't have amnio testing with any of my children, despite my "advanced maternal age". It was mentioned, but not pushed at all. I did have lots of ultrasounds with my third, but that was because I contracted Fifth's Disease during pregnancy, not because of my age. I liked those weekly ultrasounds. It was like visiting my baby, watching her grow from week to week. We even got to do several in 3D! Oh, and she was fine. No problems.

Each of my deliveries was faster than the previous one. I guess that's normal, but it meant that my third came out incredibly fast, which hurt a lot. I don't know if that was age related. The mental recovery from that took longer. I had some post-partum depression. But, I came out of it after a couple weeks. My mid-wife said that the depression was probably mostly due to my ambivalence toward having another baby. I really was done after two, and didn't want to start over at 42.

As for my "baby", she is 5 1/2 now, and her only problem is being too smart. She tends toward smart-aleck because she thinks she knows more than everyone around her. And, the problem with being an older mother is that I'm tired! I sometimes don't have as much energy as I need to keep her challenged, engaged, entertained, and disciplined. You won't have that problem, though. You're (I mean -- your friend) is just a baby! :)

Blessings,

I had babies at 19, 20, 22, 37 and 39. I was worried about the statistics. My OB asked for testing, I refused. To me these babies were on the way and we would take what we got. He knew well that pushing wouldn't change anything luckily, he was my OB for all 5 pregnancies.

But overall the pregnancies weren't any worse than the earlier ones. The first was easy, and the next 4 sucked ! I was tired more in my late 30's, and losing the baby weight afterward was a bit more difficult. In hind sight, I wouldn't change a thing.

Having babies later in life is wonderful, they keep me young. I have so much more patience than I did the first time around. If I knew then what I know now, I would have waited to have my first in my 30's LOL. Not that I would trade my older ones. And I have an inkling of what is to come.

At 39, I decided I wanted another baby. I got pregnant immediately, but miscarried. I got pregnant again 2 months later and miscarried again. I conceived my 4 year old just 2 weeks after that second miscarriage and had no trouble with the pregnancy or delivery.

I unintentionally conceived again, and miscarried, then easily conceived and delivered my 1 year old at 43 years old.

I conceived my last baby when I was 38. She was born with bilateral clubfoot (full disclosure), but this is NOT related to maternal age. She was conceived while trying to avoid pregnancy. I always had a very high level of fertility. My last pg was harder than the previous ones due to being a bit older and having three babies in five years, but I had no major complications and I did natural childbirth with less than three hours of labor. All of my pgs were a bit "hard" on me as far as dicomforts. Have fun and good luck to your "friend".:D

ETA: My doc offered the testing but I declined. There was no pressure to do it. I skipped the AFP and the amnio. During my first appt with my OB during pg number four, I specifically asked if I was considered "high risk" because of my age, and she said that I was not.

Edited by texasmama

I had one at age 38 and another at age 42. Both were 'surprises'. I did get the genetic testing done with the one at age 38, and we were told that she would have Down's Syndrome. We are not of the inclination to abort for any reason but we thought that having the testing would give us a chance to prepare mentally and emotionally if there happened to be something to prepare for. Well, the test does have false positives, and DD7 does not have Down's Syndrome and is perfectly normal. We did not have the testing done for the next one. DS3 is also normal.

As for the pregnancy experiences, well I was more tired but I was more tired in general then, because of many other things going on in our lives at the time. I had high blood pressure, but I had that before the pregnancies too. I was smarter about knowing my limits and making sure I took care of myself and remembering to rest and ask for help. DD7 was a fairly quick delivery, at home with a midwife. DS3 grew especially large (I was negative for gestational diabetes) and there was some concern about that. After several hours being fully dilated with the baby not descending, we did get a c-section. DS was nearly ten pounds with a fifteen inch head and a smile in his eyes. He was built like a little fireplug, with a big head and shoulders. As an OB nurse, I had taken care of many women after a c-section, and this was my first one personally. I was up and about fairly quickly and don't feel that my age was a factor in the recovery.

I had 3 more babies since I was 38. Ironically, the later ones were much easier to conceive than the earlier 3 (I have PCOS and did some heavy duty infertility treatments when I was younger). Indeed, my baby #6 was conceived at 41 y.o., before I ever had a period after #5 was born - a big, HUGE surprise :D. Best surprise I ever had. I knew it was possible of course, I just never thought it was all that likely!

The later deliveries were definitely easier :D. With #6, DH dropped me off at the hospital door and took the kids home to wait for the babysitter. Meanwhile, the OB came by and said that she wasn't even going to touch me, i.e., check the cervix, until DH arrived, lest the baby "come flying out" (that's the clinical term).

(ever want to get a bunch of women talking, just ask about their pregnancies ;))

ETA: good luck!!! :)

ETA: on risk, we never did anything invasive like a cvs or amnio. We did the first trimester screening so that I could get another look at the bean(s). I had issues with the first trimester screening that had to do with placental insufficiency rather than baby genetics. We also did the - what was it, I can't remember, duh - the AFP(?) for the purpose of spina bifeda. I saw a perinatologist in my last three pregnancies, but NOT for age (I was on blood thinners thanks to a clotting issue that I have; long story).

Edited by wapiti

A statistics professor once used this example. In 1950 half the babies born in Sample Town were illegitimate. Sounds like a rather immoral town?

Remember this was 1950.) Not really, it was a very small town. There were two births that year.

The perception of higher risk of genetic disorders is largely based on sample sizes and the way people interpret statistics. Most babies with genetic disorders are born to mothers under the age of 35. Most babies, in general, are born to mothers under the age of 35. Thus the total number of babies born to this group is quiet large. Until recently, relatively few babies were born to older women.

I was referred to a high risk obstetrician because I was over 35 and refused invasive testing. He sent me back to an ordinary obstetrician. Older women in good health are not high risk. Younger women in poor health are at a much higher risk.

If you're fit it should be easy peasy. I'm with Raine in that I was so very tired, but I think that's my only real complaint. In that respect, it IS easier when you're young. And recovery took longer, too. But I do believe that the more fit you are, the better all around you will be.

I had my last baby when I was just a few weeks shy of 39. I didn't have any problem conceiving, in fact, we weren't even trying at the time. I didn't have any problems during the pregnancy either other than being very tired. I also didn't have any testing except for a level 2 ultrasound. Everything was fine - she was a big, healthy baby and she is now a beautiful 8 year old.

How very exciting for your "friend". :001_smile:

My last pregnancy was at 40. No trouble conceiving. I was much more tired during the pregnancy, but I was carrying twins. Other than fatigue, no trouble. I just made sure to get a nap or two in during the day (fortunately I had an older dd to keep an eye on the 3yr old). You need to pamper yourself (eat healthy, vitamins, sleep, etc.). Anyway, no bad stories from me. I am so glad we decided to try for one more. Those two are the delight of our house.

First child born when I was 33; second when I was 37. Second one was easier to conceive than first ( 2 1/2 years rather than 8). Second pregnancy easier than first - much less stressed over life problems, no migraines, fitter. Second delivery easier than first - didn't need induction and didn't tear.

Laura

:grouphug:

Tell your friend to go for it! :) OK, did ya hear that?!

38 is young! And I am not just saying that because I was 38 when my 3rd child was born. :lol:

I am hoping to maybe have just one more. I used to be afraid of this due to my age and the statistics, but after reading more and living more I feel OK with it. Just gotta talk the DH into it! :D

Don't be afraid, just follow your heart.

Excellent! I love babies and wish I could have more!

DH and I married late, I was 36. We started ttc after about 9 months. After about 18 months, we consulted my OB/GYN and an RE. The latter told me I had 2% chance of ever conceiving with my own eggs. We did some clomid, some IUI and one IVF cycle. Then we were broke, depressed and still childless.

I had begun acupuncture because it is said to help IVF succeed. I continued because it helped get me feeling healthy and balanced after IVF made me feel like I'd been run over by a truck. Acupuncture and Chinese herbs (from a reputable TCM practioner - not just self-prescribed from the heath food store) changed my cycle and helped us to conceive DD. DS was much easier, though we did do some acu and charting BBT.

I was 39 and 41 when my kids were born. Both pg were free of any complications. DD was delivered by c-section because I was in labor, but not progressing past 5 and her heart rate was dropping with each big contraction. So DS was delivered by scheduled c-section. No problems with either delivery.

Two lovely, healthy children.

We did not do any genetic testing because the age factor gives too many false positives. Just the regular OB care and 20 week ultrasounds.

Best wishes for another baby in your family. Don't let the "high-risk" language put you off!

I had Gabriel when I was 38.5, so hopefully I can be of some help.

1) had more trouble conceiving than you did when you were younger,

Not at all, matter of fact we conceived within a span of a week of dh's weakening resolve, LOL. Probably only a couple or three teA times.

and/or 2) had any pregnancy complications that you hadn't had when you were younger

My varicose veins were worse this time than the other two times, so I just purchased prescription strength maternity support hose. Nothing major. Gabriel was breech late, like 38 weeks, but flipped with a bit of coaxing (spinningbabies.com). BEST delivery ever- I decided no more epidurals after a bad experience (late, hot spot, ineffective) with Andrew's, so I sprung for a doula (labor support professional) instead. I had lots of prodromal labor, which was easy to live with though maddening. Then the actual labor was 2:30 am to 7:50 am... we were at the hospital like 25 min. LOVED the doula.

I conceived #4 when I was 36; she was born when I was 37. I've always been very fertile; this time I got pregnant while trying to avoid. The pregnancy was the easiest of all (it was also the first pregnancy gluten and dairy free, which made me feel better all around), and the L&D was uneventful and fast (once the latent stuff was done). DD actually came before my MW arrived.

She was diagnosed with Down syndrome after her birth. I do not do the screenings during pregnancy and her ultrasound looked just fine (her heart is perfect and there were no other markers that would have come up except maybe the fluid on the back of the neck ... ds#1 had that and is not Ds, and I wouldn't have done an amnio as any baby I conceive is our baby and meant to be with us). She is an insane blessing to us and I wouldn't change a thing (even though it took me 2 months to come to terms with being pregnant in the first place; I thought we were done after three - shows you what I know! :lol:

So, other than added fatigue from running around after 3 boys, my last pregnancy was the easiest and best. Yes, there were/are genetic issues, but nothing that isn't easy to deal with, and we are tickled pink (pun intended) to have our newest addition, even though I was of "advanced maternal age." :D

My dd#3 was born when I was 41, August 2009. All three of ours were very easy conceptions. This was my easiest pregnancy physically, as I had no morning sickness or even nausea, which wasn't true of the first two. I also didn't go through post-partum depression this time, probably due to being on the right anti-depressant whereas before I was unmedicated and depressed even before the births.

However, I did get high blood pressure in the last few weeks of my pregnancy. Because it would not come down, my doctor had me scheduled for an induction. This would not have been my first choice, but he was very concerned about my BP so I went along with it. I ended up going into labor naturally before the induction, and the birth was probably my easiest, though I was very groggy and loopy from the BP meds they were putting in my IV. So, altogether, mostly a great experience and we are extremely blessed!

I've had two babies at older than 38-- one at 40 and one at 42. It did take me longer to get pregnant than it had when I first started having babies (which was at age 26/27; I've had seven total); maybe four months instead of one. Now I am 44, haven't use b/c for more than a year and am still not pregnant.

As to the other part of the question: no, neither of those two last pregnancies and births were any harder than the previous five.

My first 2 kids were born when I was 23 and 26. My last baby was born a month after my 37th birthday. I must say I never intended to have a baby after 35, and was a bit concerned about being a "higher-risk pregnancy".

I absolutely conceived as quickly/easily as I did the first 2 times. As for the pregnancy itself, I did have a few more symptoms this time around that I hadn't had with the others (nausea in the 1st trimester, slight spotting, a lot of Braxton-Hicks and back pain in the 2nd). However, I don't know if those symptoms had anything to do with my age or the fact that I am much more out of shape now.

My labor and delivery were also exceedingly easier than with my previous pregnancies.

Of course, there is no guarantee that your experience will mimic mine, but at least you can find some encouragement in it :001_smile:

I conceived #6 when I was 35 and #7 when I was 38. We weren't actively trying to get pregnant and were actually trying to avoid it both times. I have these freak cycles where I ovulate on day 6 or 7 of my cycle which wrecks havoc on NFP...anyway, the point is we didn't have any fertility problems. I think problems are more likely as one ages, but aren't a foregone conclusion.

I had more back and hip pain, but I'd learned to deal with it by doing yoga stretches. I was more fatigued, but I depended on my older children to pitch in and help more. In other words, I used my experience to offset the drawbacks. Both births were a piece of cake. My son was born after three hours of labor in which I thought I was just gearing up. Suddenly while all alone in the tub upstairs I shocked myself by pushing out his head and then his body with the next one. I was prepared for an easier, shorter labor and delivery with my last one and I wasn't disappointed. I read a book while laying on my side for a couple of hours of contractions and then started filling the tub around 10:30. The midwife arrived an hour later and Keira was born in two pushes 10 minutes after that.

There is no such thing as an *easy* pregnancy and birth, but in hindsight my last two were the most manageable. I hope you find the encouragement you are looking for.

Barb

I had my 2nd baby at age 35 and my 3rd at age 40. Overall, I had very easy pregnancies and normal labors with my first two kids, and both were conceived within the first month of trying.

But things did get harder after that. I had 3 miscarriages (at ages 37, 38 and 39) before having my 3rd. That pregnancy was HARD. I was much more tired and more hormonal that time around. I got some truly terrible varicose veins, which my doc attributed to my age. These are the super painful kind - I spent almost my entire pregnancy wearing heavy duty support hose, even when we were camping in 90 degree weather - and they never went away after my pregnancy, they are now a chronic problem for me.

At 30 weeks I was measuring small so they did an extra ultrasound and determined that my amniotic fluid level was alarmingly low. My midwife said this is often a complication in older moms, and she predicted my DD would be born early. From that point on, I was on limited bedrest and had to go in for an NST every 3rd day and an ultrasound every week. It was a very stressful and uncomfortable few weeks ... which stretched into months. My due date came and went, and when I was 17 days overdue they finally decided to induce me. It was the hardest labor I'd had by far - so much more painful and exhausting. I actually almost asked for an epidural (which I didn't even consider with the first two.) But once I got to the pushing stage, it only took 2 pushes! I literally pushed for less than 4 minutes.

The most important thing is that in the end, I had an absolutely perfect, beautiful, precious daughter who was worth every bit of the pain and stress. I know that the whole experience was harder because of my age, but I definitely have no regrets. But I have to say, I really did get the message loud and clear from my body that it was DONE having kids. We had hoped to have one more, but that pregnancy was hard enough on me that I really don't think I could do it again.

My advice is: #1, GO FOR IT!! :D Find a great midwife or doc who has experience with "older" moms because she will be a wonderful person to turn to for support and advice about some of the complications that can arise. (And she can put most of your fears into context, since all those statistics about older moms can sometimes seem so scary.) And #2: If you are at all prone to varicose veins and/or hemorrhoids when pregnant, know that they can be much worse in the "advanced maternal age" stage. Wear support hose from the very beginning! That's the one thing I would do differently if I could have a do-over.

Here is my story:)

I had trouble in my 20's getting pregnant - we tried for almost 5 years before I got pregnant and had my first child at 31. 6 months later I got pregnant with No.2 on the first try. When I was 34 I got pregnant with No.3 - which took about 3-4 months of trying.

At 36 I got pregnant with No.4 on the second try - this pregnancy ended at 12 weeks with my first miscarriage. We decided to wait a year before trying again because I had a feeling I lost it because my body was worn out and nutritionally depleted after having 3 babys in 3.5 years. That was March last year

I'm 37 in May - We tried for the first time this month - I'm now 5 weeks pregnant (but not officially announcing for a while yet due to last miscarriage);)

I've had no complications (besides the miscarriage) - all textbook pregnancies and deliveries. Not even morning sickness. I delivered all natural for the No.2 and No.3 and it was all great.

If this baby stays put I'll be 37 when it arrives and we still want another after that - so I'll probably be around 39 for No.5 if all goes as planned.

I say you aren't too old and you should go for it. I wouldn't worry too much about complications if you haven't had any with previous pregnancies. The only thing I find is that I get tireder with each pregnancy and have less stamina - but that could also be because I now have 3 kids under 5 :D

In my case at least I had trouble getting pregnant when I was younger and then it was a piece of cake once I passed 30 - the switch turned on and won't turn off (hopefully).:D

Well assure your friend that it was a breeze for me. I had mine at 26, 30,31,35,37, and 1 month shy of 40. No difference in them really. My neighbor had one at 42 and the other had one just shy of 40. I say tell your friend to GO FOR IT!:D

ETA: I tried one time for all except number 4 who took 2 months of trying so fertility was no issue for me...but I am part rabbit I am told.

I could have written this 5 years ago!!!!! I was 38. I really wanted another baby before I turned 40. I was super excited that my dh agreed.

Best pregnancy!

Easiest delivery!

Easiest baby!

We are all head over heals for her!

She is my avatar.

Good luck!

Congratulations to your "friend"!!:D

Edited to say..... It took us 6 months. =0

Thank you again everyone for sharing these stories. Many of them have been very comforting and reassuring :)

I was just a teen when I had my first daughter (unplanned) with my ex. She's now 19.

I was 26ish when I got pregnant for the first time with my current husband- that resulted in a "blighted ovum," as in nothing ever developed in the sac and I had to have a D&C. That was a planned pregnancy and it happened very quickly from what I remember once we started trying.

As soon as I was given the go ahead to try again, we did, and again I conceived very quickly and had my now 10 y/o daughter. I was 27 when she was born.

Since she was born, we just used the withdrawal method of "birth control" (I know! lol) and when she was 5, my son was born (unplanned but much appreciated :D). I was 32.

I had no problems at all (other than sciatica and hearburn!) with either of my pregnancies with my younger two kids (oh, and morning sickness in the form of constant nausea for the first 15 weeks with my youngest, my son), and both of their deliveries were pretty short and easy.

So anyway I am hoping to still be able to conceive quickly and to have an uncomplicated pregnancy. I had all these "older women and pregnancy" stats running through my head, and I guess they are still possibilities, but many of you have given me lots of hope that I'm not doomed to suffer all of them. So, thanks again! :)

Well, I'm 37 and just entered my 3rd trimester today! Huzzah! We weren't trying to get pregnant. This was a complete surprise. I've found this one to be a little more difficult than when I was pregnant at 28. I am much more tired and the first trimester was AWFUL. I didn't have any morning sickness with Indy (I was 11 weeks pregnant before I even knew!) but I had terrible morning sickness this time. Yuck. I do have to go to the OB more because I'm considered "high risk" due to my "advanced maternal age" (that sure makes a girl feel good) and the fact that Indy was a preemie. This baby will likely be a preemie as well as I've already had contraction issues (boo!), but we'll get through. I have to say Indy is crazy excited about finally becoming a big brother. Since he was old enough to say "baby" he's wanted one. There will be almost 9 years between them and at first I thought that was insane, but with Indy being older, he can do a lot on his own and for himself, which means I don't have 2 little ones to try to cart around. I'm not looking forward to my days revolving around feeding and nap times again, oh, and diaper (so not looking forward to that!), but it will all work out and we'll get used to it.