Menu

From the 'we can't make this up' file:

Snowstorm was much more intense than forecasted -- not only did we lose power at 8pm, the meter and wires ripped right out of the house - - explosion, arcing, kids were a little frightened. DH was up all night with the electric company and Liberty Mutual (who I think hates us now ) and we are moving back into the Towne Place Suites in a little while (good thing we love them and they love us) - which hopefully will be within the hour. No idea how long we will be there (does any of this sound familiar?) but the electrician says it depends on whether or not we need a permit to do the work or if it can be repaired without a permit.

Will keep in touch when we get there - i am using dh's computer on battery power and his verizon card.

Kids are bouncing off the walls -- dh and I HATE this bleeping house.

I'm glad we are all safe, I am tired, though, of the house drama. Trying to look on the bright side: Housekeeping every day, complimentary breakfast, fresh baked cookies at 7pm.

Oh, guys, I am really tired of this!:crying:

:grouphug: I'm so glad you are all safe. I knew it was bad up there. My bil slept at his office in Tysons Corners rather than try to drive home to Ashburn. A friend sat on GW Parkway for 12 hours. Stay safe, stay warm.

This happened to us last year (but the tree limb that tore out the wiring landed on the car!) We didn't have to get a permit so hopefully you won't either, but we were just replacing - no upgrading while we were at it.

It did take about a whole day to repair and the electric company had to come put a new seal on the meter.

Why did you have to move out? Do you have electric heat?

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, Mariann!

My husband was caught in the traffic last night. He left work at 4:00 p.m. and got home at 1:30 a.m. -- 9-1/2 hours of driving. Then this morning he had to get up and go back in. As he sat in traffic that didn't move (the worst was at Tysons Corner), he read on the Drudge Report about the very traffic he was caught in.

I hate snow!!!

Deja vu! So sorry...

Your house does seem to have some serious bad mojo. :glare:

On the other hand, you do lead a very exciting life. I guess you are slapping your head saying you don't need the excitement, but what a lot of memories to bind your family together!

Hope your situation is soon resolved.

Boo, Hiss! I am sorry you are being displaced again. My sister had a tree fall on her house (competely flattened the family room addition) last summer during a storm. She spent more than 4 months living in one of those extended stay hotels. I imagine it gets old after a while. I hope they are able to get your house fixed back up lickety split.

Glad you and your family are ok, Mariann!

We had a pine tree uproot and scraped down the side of our home. We are an end unit townhouse, so there were no windows to break. If it had been a foot or so taller, we would have been in trouble. An hour later our power went out too. Thankfully it came back about lunchtime today.

That storm was terrible and I hope spring gets here quickly!

:grouphug: I'm so glad you are all safe. I knew it was bad up there. My bil slept at his office in Tysons Corners rather than try to drive home to Ashburn. A friend sat on GW Parkway for 12 hours. Stay safe, stay warm.

Wasn't the traffic awful? It took my son in law 9 hours to get home to Reston from Vienna. I felt so badly for my him and my dd.

This happened to us last year (but the tree limb that tore out the wiring landed on the car!) We didn't have to get a permit so hopefully you won't either, but we were just replacing - no upgrading while we were at it.

It did take about a whole day to repair and the electric company had to come put a new seal on the meter.

Why did you have to move out? Do you have electric heat?

No - we have oil heat, but the it needs electricity to run -- no idea why, but it was 45 degrees when we left this morning.

The electrician was able to repair it this afternoon - the electric company was there first thing this morning. I have to applaud Dominion Power -- they were excellent. And the electrician, who didn't know us from the man in the moon -- he returned DH's voice mail at 4am. Praise G-d for their quick response. Oh, and yeah, we were worried about the wire b/c it was so near the truck -- I was SO relieved that no branches (and we did lose some trees) landed on my hummer.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, Mariann!

My husband was caught in the traffic last night. He left work at 4:00 p.m. and got home at 1:30 a.m. -- 9-1/2 hours of driving. Then this morning he had to get up and go back in. As he sat in traffic that didn't move (the worst was at Tysons Corner), he read on the Drudge Report about the very traffic he was caught in.

I hate snow!!!

That sounds like the situation my son in law found himself in- he left vienna at 3pm and arrived home in Reston as 12:30am. I was so concerned for him and so worried about dd who was not feeling well, we were al praying for them at our house.

Oh my gosh when do you get a break ??

Email me... You could come visit with us some this weekend, if even to just break up your hotel stay :-)

We will be back home tomorrow afternoon -- i will email you. :grouphug:

it's almost dejavu, isn't it? Didn't you move to the hotel at around this time of year last year?

Actually, we moved out of the hotel february 14th last year. :D

I'm starting to think you're really a troll and making up all these stories (just kidding).

I wish!:lol:

The adventures never seem to stop! Hoping you get power restored soon. Stay warm (and sane!) in the meantime. :grouphug:

Warm I can do ---- Sane, well, I will try to work on that one.;)

oh no! Mariann! I'm so sorry!!!! As if you need this on top of everything else!

I hope that work gets done quickly and you will be back at that home that you........ well I hope you're home soon!

Denise: Thanks so much! We may stay another night at the hotel just because........

On another note, can you do me a favor: Alicia64 is looking for DC hotel information as they are going to do the Smithsonian/monument thing. Can you be in touch with her or look for her thread here. Thanks!

Mariann, I'll be praying not only that this goes quickly but also that your loopy, ridiculous, certifiable neighbors don't do anything stupid while your gone1

Faith

Thank you. We are pretty sure that they won't be doing much more than sticking a hand out the door to grab an ice cold brewskie out of the snow --:cheers2:. ;)

Wow, you are right. You simply can't make this stuff up!

I am so sorry you're going through all of this right now, and pray that your house gets fixed enough for you to go back very soon. Hotel living gets real old real quick!

Thank you - prayers greatly appreciated. :)

I already have trouble imagining a snowstorm (never have experienced one), let alone a snowstorm that causes the power to go out.......but to have the meter and wires ripped out of the house ....oh man....:svengo:

Marianne :grouphug: and enjoy the goods things at the hotel!

I already have trouble imagining a snowstorm (never have experienced one), let alone a snowstorm that causes the power to go out.......but to have the meter and wires ripped out of the house ....oh man....:svengo:

Marianne :grouphug: and enjoy the goods things at the hotel!

Thank you. We are! :)