Menu

What toys do your kids play with the most?

Type of toys kids play with:  

1. 1. Type of toys kids play with:

• building and construction toys (like Lego, K'nex etc.)
    • dolls
    • Sets such as Castles/knights, dollhouses, farms/animals. Schleich or Playmobil
    • Dress up/pretend play with their own props or costumes
    • Outdoor toys such as hippity hops, jump rope
    • Board Games or Card Games
    • Video Games
    • Other - because I know I didn't even scratch the surface!

My dd6 is in a stage where she loves playing with toy animals, characters, dinosaurs, etc. I keep a basket of animals and one of dinosaurs on our science shelves. She "loses" herself for long periods of time with those. She also likes Barbies and her dollhouse. Ds10 spends most of his time reading and jumping ahead in math...he is our little math professor. I picked up an old copy of Abeka Algebra that was in the free pile at our homeschool store - that is what he is reading for fun these days, LOL. Anytime he earns computer time, I will discover that he is googling to look up math items. For instance, when I just got on the computer, the screen was open to google...he had been searching for youtube items teaching polar coordinates...Sounds like fun, huh?! :tongue_smilie:

I voted Lego because my boys AND girls consistently play with them. A close 2nd for our boys would be either action figures or playsets (with figures or animals, etc.). Matchbox cars have been big with all of our kids, but only if they had sets/tracks or a play mat to go with them (which they have).

All of these things together probably compose 90% of play time at our house over the years!! (For our girls, craft supplies or sets and then things like Littlest Pet Shop, Polly Pockets or My Little Pony--again, with accessories or sets--are long-lasting toys, too.)

I voted Lego because that has the most appeal across all 4 kids and becomes a base for many other things. They build with lego and use it for many other toys. Lego people go with everything i am finding. Missing a game piece, get a Lego person (She has one, I need one too). Fisher Price Little People, matchbox cars, and Webkinz all get a fair workout around here. Huge multi-level plays using everything that mom doesn't yell about them touching and 2 big rubbermaids with dressups. Lots of basketball and soccer in the backyard.

I picked building toys. Ds is 13, and the only toys he really still plays with are Legos, Nerf guns, and outdoor stuff like balls, bike, or scooter. Almost every day, weather permitting, he and the boy across the street will toss a football or play basketball using another neighbor's "community hoop".

However, if I had taken a poll like this in any of his younger years, it would still be the same answer. The kid loves building with Lego. His dream job is to design Lego sets with stories (like Knights, Power Miners, etc.).

I voted sets because DS4 spends amazing amounts of time with playmobil and schleich. But there is lots of crossover because he uses sets of blocks to make castles, dens, hideouts, villages, stables, etc, for the playmobil and schleich, even his superhero figures. And sometimes he dresses up as a hunter, then hunts schleich animals I hide around the house. He also plays with trains and hotwheels lots and lots.

I voted Lego as that is what would be the number 1 pick, at least for ds#1 and ds#2. Ds#3 loves Lego too, but also loves his Imaginext type figures (we don't have the playsets). They also ALL love Nerf guns and Nerf weapons. Their hippity hops would come in a very close third. I'm curious to see what dd will like to play with as she gets older.

Today--rainy, cold and no fun outside--is a good test case. Here's what they played with:

Kapla blocks

Legos

Watercolors

play silks with beanbags (torpedoes)

deck of cards (poker)

chess (I played a game and won, which is rare)

DD an DS4 play with dolls a lot but not today.

Edited by yellowperch

I voted for sets, as they spend most of their spare time playing with Calico Critters. They also build though. We have several sets of Magnatiles which are always in use for buildings (and RVs :D) to house the critters. Dress up is also a very popular choice though.

My girls are 9 and 6 1/2. This has been their play pattern for as long as I can remember!

This was hard. I picked sets like Playmobil, but in reality if you came to my house you would typically see...

The wooden train set in the living room with various stops from the Imaginext jungle to Playmobil pirate bay to an Old West lincoln log town and a Lego factory. They set up amazing and very complex landscapes. They call it Dreamland.

Dd 10 still adores her Polly Pocket dolls. She spends a lot of time programming her robot, loves her DS and video games. She also spends a great deal of time making arts and crafts and baking. She reads a decent amount of time too but not like her sister and I do.

She is recently into learning cake decorating as well.

She still loves to play pretend and is in heaven with her new Hermione Granger wand. :)

DD 14 loves to read above all things, loves her DS and playing piano.

She makes sculpy stuff a lot too, gorgeous cane-work beads and sculptures. She loves to cook as well as bake too. She will still play pretend with her sister sometimes, a game they made up when they were little, mapped out and still "go to" together for hours on end outside.

They play with Little Ponies ("real" and dollar store versions), their baby dolls, "grocery store stuff," tubs of toys (blocks, Lincoln Logs), a farm, a car garage, a tool bench, puzzle, games (Candyland, Skip Bo, etc.), and more.

But their favorite activities seem to center around ART -- what they call art, anyway. This means:

crayons

markers

scissors

glue

glitter :glare:

tape (where is my tape? Oh, I suppose I'm not wrapping any presents this year)

yarn

ribbon

felt

and, of course, PAPER

They are girls. They are born with crayons in their hands. ;)

I voted Other. My boys play with them all.

I know the poll asks for the toys they play with the most, but it cycles. It's rainy and cold here, so they're playing building toys and Playmobil. In summer they're outside with the outside toys and the Legos hardly get a glance. Card and board games go in waves too.

Cat

My kids are technology geeks!!!!! They take after their father.

The younger two boys are hooked on video games but also love legos, card games, nerf, outdoor stuff.

Ds#1 is in the midst of building his own desktop computer and repairing two laptops. He also loves to do science things, legos, magic cards.

Dd loves outdoor stuff, playing her music (guitar and drums mainly), and doing Kung Fu. She isn't into video games but loves to play around on the computer doing other stuff. She is big on doing videos and editing them also.When younger she did play a bit with dolls and legos but not much. She was always big in skating, biking, basketball, etc.

And all of them love to play poker. LOL

Edited by AnitaMcC

Oh, let's see... The girls do a lot of pretend/imaginative play. They love their stuffed friends and Barbie dolls. They also love playing on the computer, DS and Leapsters. And right now they're very into art, especially Becca. She's learned grid drawing and is plowing through a Scooby-Doo art book right now.