Menu

Holiday lights-colored or white (clear)??

Do you use multi-colored or white (clear) lights for the holidays?  

1. 1. Do you use multi-colored or white (clear) lights for the holidays?

• White (clear)
    • Multi-colored
    • A mix of both
    • Other (please explain)
    • I don't do lights because they are a huge PITA

So, since we're doing so many holiday posts, I thought I'd join the fray. When you put up your lights, do you do white (clear), colored or a mixture of both?

I LOVE clear lights. Love, love, love them and use them for our tree, windows, everything. Indy has a tiny tree in his room and asked if he could have colored lights on it.

Growing up we always had colored lights, but clear lights to me are jsut so beautiful and elegant. So, what do you do?

We finally, after many years, made the switch from color to white. I like it much better. That being said. . . . the house down the street has a really nice setup that alternates red and white lights and some kind of lit star hangs between every few lights. Very nice.

We only do tree lights, and those must be multi-colored. Our holiday decorations are so colorful and, well, childish. I think white lights would look out of place.

If we were to do outdoor lights, those would probably be white. But our steep roof reaches the equivalent of 3 stories, so that's not happening!

We do both.

If it were up to me, we'd do just clear. Our tree is prelit with clear. But I'm surrounded by males, and the beauty and simplicity is lost on them. So I add a couple of strings of colored lights to the tree to please them. At least they don't bug me to make them blink anymore.

We don't do outside lights. As we've said for the past 13 years...maybe next year :lol:.

I love clear lights, too--they can look like stars or snow in a place where we really don't have any.

Otoh, I've seen houses w/ red lights & white icicle lights--that's SO pretty, too--it looks like gingerbread!

And colored lights, when done really well, are like candy cottages.

Assuming a person is not going to go all-out, I'd opt for all white or red/white. Otoh, I also like not bothering. ;)

ETA: On the house or the tree? My answer's for the house. On the tree, my main concern is that they don't flash. Ugh! But I like tiny colored lights on the tree. While white is *very* pretty, it's too serious for *me.*

My preference is the big, old-fashioned multicolored lights on the eaves of the house. But, our electric bill was out of control, so last year dh got white led lights. Don't tell anyone, but.... I despise them. They don't even have that warm glow that regular white lights have. THey're kind of cold and bluish. But, they don't use nearly the electricity, which is the only good thing about them.

Currently, we have artificial trees that are prelit with clear lights. I like white lights but I also like colored lights. With colored lights, I like putting the large bulb ones deep into the tree near the trunk and then put the mini lights all over the tree. That way you have the bigger ones glowing from the center put still have the twinkle of the mini lights.

Honestly, I want two trees and DH and said I can have two trees with the kids grow up and move out and we have room. I want one tree with colored lights and all of the special ornaments we've collected over the years. I want the other tree to be an elegant, put-together, everything matching and pretty tree...which would include clear lights.

I tend to favor quiet elegance. I do clear lights.

My kids express their preference for colored lights every single year. :glare:

I won't be buying new lights, so we'll be sticking with the clear. I tell the kids they'll someday have a place of their own to decorate according to their own taste. :001_smile:

My preference is the big, old-fashioned multicolored lights on the eaves of the house. But, our electric bill was out of control, so last year dh got white led lights. Don't tell anyone, but.... I despise them. They don't even have that warm glow that regular white lights have. THey're kind of cold and bluish. But, they don't use nearly the electricity, which is the only good thing about them.

Nothing was worse than the house we lived in that had...very SAD icicle lights. We drove around looking at lights that year, came home, & dh said, "Well...back to the bat cave!" LOL That's what it looked like, too--claws or fangs or something. Halloween, though, not Christmas.

On the tree we have about 2 or 3 long strands of colored lights.

They have switches where you can change the speed, colors, etc.

We also have 2 small strands of clear icicle lights. They're beautiful and add a nice touch to the tree.

I don't think the tree would look nice if we had just colored, or just white. It would look incomplete to me.

We use clear lights in the house and colored lights on the house.

Us, too. I have two strands of clear lights that I wrap around the tree that flash different patterns to give it a nice effect. Last year we spent the cash on LED lights. We put white on the house, plain non-LED clear (they look like gold compared to the silvery white of LEDs) on the wishing well, wrap the tree in red, and this year DH made a tree out of green with a white star on top. I can't wait to turn them all on tomorrow night!

Outside? white lights. Inside? White and colored.

I grew up in an "elegant" neighborhood in which each house had a white candle in each window and nearly everyone's outside lights were white. It was rather ....uniform... so I may be less inclined to all white than I otherwise would be.

We had colored lights on the tree when i was younger (this probably switched to white too at some point), but I still love the colored lights on the tree and love having all the kid-made ornaments on the tree.

I've got to say though, with regard to the white lights outside, we usually take one night to drive around looking at lights, and it's usually the colored lights that get our attention! My very favorite outdoor decoration is tree trunks wrapped with lights and then lights extending out the branches of a tree. Gorgeous in white, but also in other solid colors.

I use clear only because they look more traditional and classy to me. Of course, I sometime leave them up 'til the middle of July which is kind of redneck but I am just full of contradictions so I guess it's to be expected. :tongue_smilie:

No decorating for me this year (YAY!) as we are going away for the holidays. Honestly, I just managed to get the Christmas boxes back into the attic in time to take out the Halloween boxes which are still sitting on my dining room table.

White inside--they look like little candle flames.

Colored outside--it's a neighborhood thing to put little Christmas trees with colored lights out on the front lawn.

I probably shouldn't admit this, but we also use those bubble lights on our tree. DH loves them. They kinda detract from the elegant white light thing, but they are quite festive.

I used to be a clear-lights only person. Like others I think they look like stars or reflected snow.

But the dh and ds love colored and snuck out and bought a set of LED colored lights to decorate the house with one year while I was off at a movie. I have to admit, I'm rather fond of them now. And when I bought some of those lighted tree spiral things to put in some empty planter boxes in front of the house this year, I chose colored lights.

(They also bought a 10-foot inflatable Santa, which I still hate)

My tree has clear lights though. When it's time to replace that I may go for colored lights. I don't know. I'm awfully fond of my tree just the way it is.