Menu

Would you buy a Dora Backpack for a boy?

My 18 month old loves Dora. He "reads" the books all the time and Dora is the only movie he will watch at all. He adores Backpack and talks about Backpack all.the.time. He gets so excited about backpack. I know that he would love to get a little backpack like Dora for Christmas. But, it is purple. Yet, he is so little...right? This shouldn't matter, but somehow it does...I can't decide..what do you think? :confused:

If that's what he loves......

fwiw, my big burly 9yo loved Loved LOVED Carebears when he was little (3-5)...we have SO many of those little care bears it's in sane! He would take them EVERYwhere with him and his fave is/was Harmony Bear--the purple one, with lollipops, lol.... of course that time only lasts for so long... now he doesn't care ANYTHING about carebears (except that he's glad his brother & sister love them too! :)) but I'm so glad I let him have them when he wanted them. I think its very important to keep a good balance on the girl/boy stuff when they're little. They NEED that outlet and learning experience, and need to feel like they can play (learn) however they want to without feeling any sort of "taboo". I promise, regardless of whether he brings home Barbie Swan Lake from the movie store will not make a hill of beans in another 10 years or so! ;) FWIW, my ds DID tivo the Tinkerbell movies over the weekend and really enjoyed them... but so did I! They were really cute movies! That doesn't make him any less BOY than he already is. Of course he would DIE if I told his buddies he was watching tinkerbell (lol) but I honestly don't think there is anything inherently WRONG with it. We have enough gun fights & dragon slayings to balance things out around here!!! ;)

Get it!

My son chose pink training wheels when he was 4. I was worried what the kids in the neighborhood would say but he handled it. Shocked a little girl said "Your training wheels are pink" and he happily replied, "I know! " and that was that.

At 8 he actually hesitated when the only crayon left was pink yesterday :lol:

So yup get it!

Yes, I would get the backpack. I'd probably throw in a Dora doll as well. (Well, if I were into plastic made in China garbage toys, that is...) Why could this possibly be an issue? What is it you fear is going to happen to your boy if he has a purple backpack?

Melanie (whose daughter *and* sons wear tiaras and princess dresses in between Star Wars battles)

Gosh, I'm old. I remember when purple was just a color and not a "not boys color."

I must be even older. I didn't know purple wasn't a boy color.

I'd buy him the backpack. If he were 6, I'd try to steer him to something else, because I'd want to be sure it's something he'd like for a few years.

My ds took over my dd's hot pink Barbie car when he was little (those big motorized ones the little kids drive). Dh and I were the only ones who seemed to care that it was pink.

I would definitely get it for him.

I always wonder why people question this stuff for boys but not for girls? My youngest wears her brothers old clothes, plays with "boy" toys, etc. and no one finds it strange but when my ds wants to play with a play kitchen or have his nails painted, people go nuts. A few have said it is fine to pass down his Thomas bike to her but we shouldn't let him ride her pink ride-on. :confused:

Although I have to say I've been impressed at my kids gymnastic class. It's ALL boys except dd. I was so worried that ds would be the only boy and instead dd is the only girl. :lol:

My 18 month old loves Dora. He "reads" the books all the time and Dora is the only movie he will watch at all. He adores Backpack and talks about Backpack all.the.time. He gets so excited about backpack. I know that he would love to get a little backpack like Dora for Christmas. But, it is purple. Yet, he is so little...right? This shouldn't matter, but somehow it does...I can't decide..what do you think? :confused:

For sure, get it!

My at the time 4 yr old boy wanted a baby doll and a stroller...all he wanted one year for Christmas. (Try to find a stroller that is boyish...extremely hard)

This was his favorite thing that Christmas and played with it for months.

I always wonder why people question this stuff for boys but not for girls? My youngest wears her brothers old clothes, plays with "boy" toys, etc. and no one finds it strange but when my ds wants to play with a play kitchen or have his nails painted, people go nuts. A few have said it is fine to pass down his Thomas bike to her but we shouldn't let him ride her pink ride-on. :confused:

I agree this is weird and doesn't make any sense. But I totally fall into it. While I would buy the Dora back pack for an 18 mo. old, I wouldn't for an older kid and I would never pass down a girlie bike to a boy. I'd repaint it first. But I would pass down a boys bike to a girl. And if a son let one of the girls piant his nails, I'd laugh about it, but then I'd make him take it off within the hour. My DD9 wears camo and target shoots the BB gun she got last Christmas. You're right, dumb.

I agree this is weird and doesn't make any sense. But I totally fall into it. While I would buy the Dora back pack for an 18 mo. old, I wouldn't for an older kid and I would never pass down a girlie bike to a boy. I'd repaint it first. But I would pass down a boys bike to a girl. And if a son let one of the girls piant his nails, I'd laugh about it, but then I'd make him take it off within the hour. My DD9 wears camo and target shoots the BB gun she got last Christmas. You're right, dumb.

Well, my ds only has an older sister, and it has definitely influenced him! He had the Dora kitchen, would play with her Barbie's, and I let him wear her bike helmet when she outgrew it (pink-princess). My mom is not thrilled about all of this, of course.

But, he likes trucks, trains, legos, etc... the typical "boy toys", too. I think it's all okay.

Buy the backpack.:001_smile:

Get it!

My son chose pink training wheels when he was 4. I was worried what the kids in the neighborhood would say but he handled it. Shocked a little girl said "Your training wheels are pink" and he happily replied, "I know! " and that was that.

At 8 he actually hesitated when the only crayon left was pink yesterday :lol:

So yup get it!

When my DS15 was two, he picked out pink Mickey Mouse ears at Disney. The lady who embroiders the name on the ears tried to talk us out of it!

Wasn't pink a color for baby boys in the 1800s? :confused:

Get the backpack. Don't even worry about it!

:grouphug:

I understand your hesitance, but I would still get it for him. My 4th son's favorite color for awhile was pink, and it thrilled him when I was able to find him a pink sippy cup that didn't have princess and other girly things on it (he'd walk up to people carrying his pink sippy cup and declare "my favorite color is pink!" and wait for them to argue :lol:...yeah, he's a spitfire). My ds5 loves Dora as well (though it's now longer his favorite), and I would buy him this backpack if he was younger and just falling in love with Dora. However, I didn't buy him any other Dora things (like bandaids), because they all had a very "girly" motif, kwim?

When my son was about 2 year old (maybe a bit younger), I took him to get new shoes. He found some pink Hello Kitty boots and fell in LOVE:001_wub: with them. They were cheap, so I went ahead and got them (slightly hesitantly). He put them on and walked through the mall with them. I've got wonderful photos of him wearing his pink boots with a HUGE grin on his face.

I'd say get him the backpack and enjoy his excitement :)

For sure, get it!

My at the time 4 yr old boy wanted a baby doll and a stroller...all he wanted one year for Christmas. (Try to find a stroller that is boyish...extremely hard)

This was his favorite thing that Christmas and played with it for months.

LOL! That's my son this year, and I was thinking it was soooo cool that the stroller was purple, until I read this thread! :D I also found a baby boy doll for him.

This thread makes me want to buy my sons nothing but pink, sparkly bits for Christmas.

Perhaps we'll paint our toe nails this afternoon with the purple polish my 5 yo chose for himself last year.

Gosh, I really dislike gender stereotypes.

LOVE the pink Hello Kitty boots story! :D

Gosh, I really dislike gender stereotypes.

LOVE the pink Hello Kitty boots story! :D

He was very proud of them.

What was so strange to me about the situation is that I consider myself very much a feminist and very against traditional gender roles (odd that I ended up a SAHM... but it really is all about choice). Yet when ds wanted the boots, I hesitated. I hate that I hesitated and that I really had to think about it before getting them. It's really something to see how very aware we are of gender roles. I hope we can make more changes so ds wouldn't even think before buying his son pink boots :) Dh had no problems with the boots either.

You know, if I had to guess, I'd guess Backpack, the character, is a boy. I think Map is a boy too. Even if they weren't, who wouldn't want a magical backpack that has just what you need when you need it?!?

It's still steeped in our culture that men's pursuits are more admirable and desirable than women's, whereas women's pursuits aren't as valid as men's. So, for a male to pursue a female interest, he is becoming "lesser than", but for a female to pursue a male interest, she is "rising above."

It stinks, but it's there.

If you are worried about him walking around with a purple backpack on his back there are fun "backpack" toys for that age that don't look feminine at all. I remember considering buying one for my son and it did not look like a girl's thing. Backpack doesn't have eyelashes. He looks male to me.

BUT I do agree with everyone that it doesn't matter at all at that age.

I think manufacturers have made toys and clothes for kids way too gender-specific, don't you think? It seems to have gotten a lot worse in the past few decades.

When my DS15 was two, he picked out pink Mickey Mouse ears at Disney. The lady who embroiders the name on the ears tried to talk us out of it!

Wasn't pink a color for baby boys in the 1800s? :confused:

Yes, Pink was a boys color, but in the 1920's until Hitler got a hold of it. (the pink triangle).

Color assigning started in about the 1920's, pink was considered appropriate for boys because being related to red it was the more masculine and decided color, while blue was considered appropriate for girls because it was the more delicate and dainty color, or related to the Virgin Mary.

I would, but I also gave my three year old daughter an all out incredible HULK birthday that my mother hated. My dd loved it and still likes to look at the pictures.

I let both my boys wear and play with anything they like. If they want their nails painted etc then go for it. Both went through a pink skirt phase.

FWIW, my brother has three older sisters and wore his fair share of nightgowns and other pink clothes. We used to do his hair and 'make up' when we were teenagers and he was a little kid.

Well, this must have been good for him because he has attracted only the best female companions. He dated a bit in college and every time I was impressed by his choice. He settled down young and expecting his first, a daughter, in a month or so. His wife is an amazing woman. I think all that training by his big sisters taught him how to talk to women. He certainly figured out how to pick the wheat from the chaff.

I will never forget his prom. His walked up to his date, looked into her eyes and said "I really like your shoes. They look great with your dress." :lol: She just melted, lol.

Buy it. Who cares what other people think anyway? I'm currently in the market for Diego's rescue pack myself!

For the last few days our 4yr old has been pretending to be a girl from time to time. I was explaining to the 14 and 12yr olds that pretending to be a girl was no different to him than pretending to be a puppy or knight. Our 14yr old looked at me with an incredulous look and said "I know that Mom" laugh, laugh. Of course I said "Ok, ok, I just wanted to explain so you didn't make fun of him". He thought I was nuts for thinking it needed to be explained. I was so proud. :) LOL AND, he's my skateboarding boy-boy!

"Map" is a boy? That's a hoot! ;) (You know, "men never ask directions..." Might as well bust another stereotype while we are at it! LOL)

I am pretty traditional, but I'd still get him the backpack, if I bought that sort of character stuff.

And I believe men who grow up learning to nurture along with learning more traditional "man" stuff become better fathers.