Menu

Odd Question, But I'd Really Like to Know

Over the summer we went to Michigan with my inlaws. We were making sandwiches to pack for a picnic, and they instructed me to make them with all the meat tucked inside the sandwich so nothing hung outside of it. No raw edge, YNWIM? Anyway, it's never occurred to me to care about that.

Do you take special care when making sandwiches so they look perfect? I must know how many people do this.

ETA: They kind of made me feel weird about it. Like, "You don't make your sandwiches this way?" My mother is a total OCD perfectionist and when she makes a sandwich, she slaps the meat on it and eats it. Who knew there was this other, totally meticulous, way of making sandwiches?

Edited by cdrumm4448

Over the summer we went to Michigan with my inlaws. We were making sandwiches to pack for a picnic, and they instructed me to make them with all the meat tucked inside the sandwich so nothing hung outside of it. No raw edge, YNWIM? Anyway, it's never occurred to me to care about that.

Do you take special care when making sandwiches so they look perfect? I must know how many people do this.

That's how I make my sandwiches. But I would never ask someone else to do it that way.

Although I don't eat sandwiches that other people make.

I'm a little OCD. ;)

I don't think I'm even remotely OCD and I would NEVER ask someone to make my sandwich this way, say over at a friend's or something, but I do secretly wonder why they don't: I trim anything that overhangs the bread and remove it to the middle (or where ever else they would fit neatlly or to best advantage ;)).

Why wouldn't everyone do it that way?

lol. your MIL is a sandwich control freak. i personally think you're awesome for actually following those strange instructions!

I can only imagine the look on my face when my SIL mentioned it. She said we had to do it that way because that's the way my MIL makes sandwiches for my FIL.

Believe me, I steel myself for a week in Michigan with my in-laws.

I bet this is the weirdest answer you're going to get!

I have one cat, who has become extremely demanding of human food as he's gotten older. I don't let him bother ds and he knows better than to bother dh, so he pesters me RELENTLESSLY while I'm eating.

When I make sandwiches for lunch for myself and for ds, I do sort of tuck in the meat on ds's sandwich. I don't get all crazy about it, and I don't care if a little hangs over, but I do make it look nice. When I make a sandwich for myself, I *do* leave meat hanging over the sides. That way I can tear a piece or two off while I'm eating and share with the frantic, pesky cat.

I have one cat, who has become extremely demanding of human food as he's gotten older. I don't let him bother ds and he knows better than to bother dh, so he pesters me RELENTLESSLY while I'm eating.

When I make sandwiches for lunch for myself and for ds, I do sort of tuck in the meat on ds's sandwich. I don't get all crazy about it, and I don't care if a little hangs over, but I do make it look nice. When I make a sandwich for myself, I *do* leave meat hanging over the sides. That way I can tear a piece or two off while I'm eating and share with the frantic, pesky cat.

That actually makes a lot of sense.;)

We don't really eat sandwiches, so I don't know how I'd make them. I'm generally a slop-it-on-the-plate kind of person, though, so I'd imagine I'd not take the time or care.

We went to a birthday party recently where the edges were all cut off of the sandwiches. I didn't realize so many kids didn't like the crust -- the crusty, crunchy part of bread loaves are my kids' favorite part! They're not big sandwich people to begin with, but they wouldn't even try one of the crustless sandwiches LOL. I did. Very mushy!

I make sandwiches this way but I would never ask someone else to do it. On the other hand, I hardly ever eat a sandwich made by someone else. I prefer to make my own sandwiches bcause I know that only I can do it the right way. I have issues, I know. As does my family. This is also one of the reasons I am very accomedating of the weird request my children make when I prepare their food. :tongue_smilie:

I'm very perfectionistic about sandwich-making. Nothing hangs out the sides of my sandwiches, though I do like to get it all *right*to*the*edge*, so you can see that there's good stuff in there. That's also why it's so important to cut the sandwich in half on a diagonal--so people can see a good cross-section of the sandwich's contents. :D

In practical terms, for catering jobs I like to make things as convenient as possible for people to eat. That includes keeping people's hands as clean as possible while they're eating. After that, it just becomes habit. I would never tell anyone else they had to do it that way unless it was a meal I was "responsible for". In other words, if it's, "Oh, Julie's bringing lunch" then I'd politely ask whoever was helping me to do it my way. If it's a lunch where we're all together and decide to pull out the sandwich stuff, I wouldn't be responsible for the untidy sandwich-making, and I wouldn't comment. :tongue_smilie:

I can't imagine having the time to be OCD about sandwich making. Lunch is our most frequently delayed meal because we're busy mid-day. My family is happy if they get lunch before 2pm; none of us care if the meat hangs out.

LOL No doubt!

I think the sandwich looks much tastier with stuff hanging out the sides.

My brain damaged cat has taken to showing up at the door every Friday night (homemade pizza night) and attempting to eat the top off of *my* slice of pizza. Only mine. And we never eat at the same time, so I don't know how she knows when it is I sit down...

DS and I were eating frozen pizza one night when DH was gone and she spurned it. LOL.

Sandwiches. If nothing is hanging out, how can you "typewriter" around the edges with your teeth to make it all even with the bread? :thumbup1:

My brain damaged cat has taken to showing up at the door every Friday night (homemade pizza night) and attempting to eat the top off of *my* slice of pizza. Only mine. And we never eat at the same time, so I don't know how she knows when it is I sit down...

DS and I were eating frozen pizza one night when DH was gone and she spurned it. LOL.

Sandwiches. If nothing is hanging out, how can you "typewriter" around the edges with your teeth to make it all even with the bread? :thumbup1:

We had a pizza cat! As soon as you opened the door to take the pizza from the delievery guy, the cat was there. He meowed till we sat down. Then he'd hop into an empty chair and wait. When you finished a slice, you'd have to hold the crust for him so he could get a few nibbles off it.

As for sandwiches - if you can't see the meat, only the bread, it looks like a lame sandwich. Real sandwiches are full and thick and stuff hanging out the sides. I can't imagine all the great deli's tucking in the meat!

Thank you.

For YEARS I have felt this vague yet insistent anxiety when confronted with a sandwhich eating experience and now I know why.

There was meat hanging off of the bread in a most chaotic way and it left me feeling sad and unsettled. :001_huh:

These boards accomplish so much! :001_smile:

P.S. Your MIL is not only OCD, but also RUDE! I can't imagine TELLING someone how to perform such a simple task. ruderuderude.

My mother is a total OCD perfectionist , QUOTE]

You're mom sounds quite go-with-the-flow regarding sandwich making. Your inlaws sound OC. You can humor them when you're with them, but if you're not, do it how you want. also, if it were me, and they were visiting me, I wouldn't change how I did things just to please them. I would offer to allow them to make them how they're happy with though . . . . .

Cut off crusts was a special party thing, growing up....my mom used the crusts in some kind of peanut butter encrusted toast recipe, making crunchy pb sticks, so there was no waste. Like others, I may have some stuff hanging out a bit, cause it looks like a full deli sandwich, even though it may be a typical lunch sandwich, not a 2-3" tall deli sandwich, but I'd never instruct another person on how to make my sandwich unless they asked my preference. I did used to ask child guests, how to cut their sandwiches, quarters, halves, diagonally or square, and I was pretty popular for that!

LBS

I agree with what Renthead Mama said!

I roll the meat, so it makes the sandwich thicker, so yes, everything is all tucked in. I would never ask someone to do that, though. When I was a teen, I waited tables at a local country club and there was a woman there who used to order a "BLT with no lettuce and the crusts cut off." It was hard not to roll my eyes!

When I pack a sandwich for my 12yo, I put the bread in one baggie and the meat in another. She won't eat it if the sandwich has been made for several hours. I also cut the crust off because she won't eat the crust. She ends up eating more of it if I cut the bread just barely inside the crust. If she's ripping the crust off, a lot more of the bread goes with it. If I could pre-assemble her sandwich, I'd put it together first and then slice off the crust. Then I'd eat the part that I cut off.

My dd doesn't want anything on her sandwich other than a single slice of meat and that has to be black forest ham. I'm just happy that she will eat a sandwich now.

ETA: They kind of made me feel weird about it. Like, "You don't make your sandwiches this way?" My mother is a total OCD perfectionist and when she makes a sandwich, she slaps the meat on it and eats it. Who knew there was this other, totally meticulous, way of making sandwiches?

If I am packing a sandwich for someone else to take I will make it so nothing hangs out just so I can wrap it easily with the seran wrap. Other than that, I don't care.

It seems that most families have some kind of idiosyncrasy about some mundane thing most people care nothing about.

On Thanksgiving last year I saw that my grown daughters mother-in-law was putting left overs into my daughters refrigerator still in the pot they were cooked in. For example, she put a large pot of mashed potatoes right into the refrigerator still in the pot. She also put a pan of gravy in the refrigerator. My daughter said her mother-in-law regularly puts pots and pans in the refrigerator. I've never heard of anyone putting food into the refrigerator without putting it into a dish first. It seemed strange to me. :lol:

I had a cat who would go absolutely bonkers when we had french fries or shrimp. He would pull on your arm, and given his size there was no resisting, and pull the fries or shrimp out of your hand.

He also would steal lettuce out of the fridge.

All I know is that when food looks fancy, it just means that someone else's fingers have been all over my food.

Ewwww!

:iagree:

When I see those fancy fruit bouquets advertised on TV all I can think of is how much someone had to handle each piece of fruit to cut it all up into flower shapes and arrange it for the bouquet. Ewwwww. I don't usually think about whether someone touched my food, for example if I am eating a salad or sandwich made in a restaurant or at someone's home, but those fruit bouquets look like someone's hands were all over them for some reason. :lol: