Menu

Would you name your baby boy

I LOVE Hezekiah. It's on our extended list.

so, yes. I would.

(And they have the pictures and names of kids in the foster program on our wall -- and one of those was "Hezakaya" with a brother named Isaiah (Popped out to me because Isaiah is our next boy name). So the name is used.

I love Hezekiah! I'm not sold that Douglas goes with it, as I would want to put another biblical name with it. But if you like it, go for it!

Moose has a very 'old fashioned, biblical' name. We've never met another person with the name. Zee's is biblical too, but much more popular.

The problem I think you'll face is that ignorant people will think it's a girl's name. I know a lady who named her son Micah, and she complains that even people in her CC church (who presumably ought to be familiar with the Bible) get confused.

I wouldn't go with a boy's name ending in -ah unless it's a super-common one (Noah, Isaiah, etc.)

No and yes.

I love traditional names, but go with the, "Would he/she be ok with this name in any and every profession they may choose?" I wouldn't name a girl Bubbles, for example...its just not a name you want on the door of a law firm :lol: When we picked out the kids names, we also kept in mind that despite 'Cleema' (sp...only ever been pronounced, not written) being his grandfather's First Nations name, it probably would be no end of problems for Tazzie when he was growing up.

It seems like it would fit in with your other dc's names. Why not?

So, sure and yes (but what would be the point if it wasn't :lol:).

People tend to be kinder about names to the person's face, especially since you hs and don't have to worry about rude, obnoxious ill bred kids making a big deal out of it. Really, though, with some of the names in general circulation today Hezekiah is hardly the worst ;)

I do not think those names sound good together - the styles are too different. But middle names aren't used very often, so that's not a dealbreaker if the names each mean something special to you.

Love Douglas (quite literally; I have one ;))

The bigger question is what would you plan on calling him for a nickname, and are you prepared to spell out that first name every time you make an appointment etc. etc. etc. (and keep in mind that he would also be spelling it out for the rest of his life). Do you like how it would look on a professional resume?

Good luck choosing :)

Edited by wapiti

It was my grandfather's middle name :) He didn't use either his first or middle name but a completely unrelated nickname so I guess he wasn't crazy about it. I like it in theory but am not sure how it would go over, unless you used Zeke as a nick name. How about Douglas Hezekiah?

The problem I think you'll face is that ignorant people will think it's a girl's name. I know a lady who named her son Micah, and she complains that even people in her CC church (who presumably ought to be familiar with the Bible) get confused.

I wouldn't go with a boy's name ending in -ah unless it's a super-common one (Noah, Isaiah, etc.)

You're kidding! I didn't know Micah was hard for some people- that's the only boy name I really like right now, and my due date is today.

IMO, considering how many dc you already have, it is important that the new baby's name fits with the rest of his siblings. I think Hezekiah meshes beautifully with the names of your other dc. I do agree with a PP, though, that Hezekiah and Douglas seem to be two different styles, from completely different eras, so may seem a bit strange together. That said, if you like it, that's all that matters. No one really uses middle names for anything, anyway.

I like the Ezekiel suggestion as well.

No, I wouldn't and yes, it is. I get that unusual names are nice, but many kids with such unusual names resent it.

:iagree:

Nope. Douglas, yes. Hezekiah? No. I realize the other names of your DC seem to be similar, and you don't list their middle names in your signature, but to me, "Douglas" just doesn't follow "Hezekiah." Too dissimilar.

But don't listen to me. I can't even name our puppy, and he's coming on Friday!!

astrid

Hezekiah Douglas

We are due for a boy in Feb/march. We really love Douglas. We like old fashioned/ Victorian era names. But hezekiah is it too old fashion/ weird?

You have Biblical names...great. However, this one I probably wouldn't choose. Have you considered any others besides Douglas?

Not my style but dh would love it. He loves the nickname Zeke though.

I say go for it, as long as you keep one of the names semi-normal (for sensitive children) and allow them to choose to go by their other name...I don't see why not. We used Axel and Sverre for middle names.

***I also had a vivid dream during my 3rd pregnancy that I passed out during the birth and dh presented me with a 20lb blond-headed boy named Hezekiah (nickname 'Zekiah) when I woke up. In the dream I started screaming that it was not my baby.***

Oh, and I think Hezekiah Douglas doesn't quite work together.

I wouldn't, but that's me. I think it fits w/ the rest of your kid's names perfectly. And Congrats!

:iagree: I don't like either name, but it does fit with you other kids. I have friends who named their baby boy Kai (pronounced Ki rhymes with Hi). That could be a nick name for yours.

Reminds me of the old Bob Dylan tune "Hezekiah Jones (Black Cross)."

Don't Google the lyrics (as it might upset some of y'all ;) )

Bill

:lol: That's the first thing I thought of as it's the only use of the name I'd ever seen before.