Menu

What do you think about hand sanitizer being everywhere?

Tap

I am not totally against hand sanitizer but sometimes it just seems soooo excessive in use to me.

Kids coming in from the play ground at dds preschool, using hand sanitizer? Why, because they were outside?

At the log in book in her daycare there is a huge bottle with a note to not let kids lick it off their hands? There is a bathroom 10ft away...why not just wash?

In all the classrooms and just passed out before lunch in middle school? Why? Can't middle schoolers wash before eating?

We do have a few small bottles, for circumstances that we can't control. Even then, it is rare. When we leave a public place like the children's museum, we stop and wash our hands. When we leave the doctor's office, same thing.

It seems like I see it used a lot before people eat, but I am less worried about a few germs than the chemicals going in our mouths/skin. If we are eating at the park, I pack a wet wipe for everyone. I use them to get the dirt off our hands, sanitizer doesn't really do that.

I use it at work more than anytime. I have allergies that make me sneeze but no other symptoms. I sometimes use sanitizer if I sneeze into my hand, because I can't run to the bathroom every time (especially with a line of customers).

Am I the odd one who doesn't want my kid using sanitizer 5 times a day? Are there any studies to say it is really very safe and I worry for nothing?

I am not totally against hand sanitizer but sometimes it just seems soooo excessive in use to me.

Kids coming in from the play ground at dds preschool, using hand sanitizer? Why, because they were outside?

At the log in book in her daycare there is a huge bottle with a note to not let kids lick it off their hands? There is a bathroom 10ft away...why not just wash?

In all the classrooms and just passed out before lunch in middle school? Why? Can't middle schoolers wash before eating?

We do have a few small bottles, for circumstances that we can't control. Even then, it is rare. When we leave a public place like the children's museum, we stop and wash our hands. When we leave the doctor's office, same thing.

It seems like I see it used a lot before people eat, but I am less worried about a few germs than the chemicals going in our mouths/skin. If we are eating at the park, I pack a wet wipe for everyone. I use them to get the dirt off our hands, sanitizer doesn't really do that.

I use it at work more than anytime. I have allergies that make me sneeze but no other symptoms. I sometimes use sanitizer if I sneeze into my hand, because I can't run to the bathroom every time (especially with a line of customers).

Am I the odd one who doesn't want my kid using sanitizer 5 times a day? Are there any studies to say it is really very safe and I worry for nothing?

Did you read the news story last year about a recall on contaminated hand sanitizers? http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,525520,00.html

I avoid the stuff. There are *very* few times when I think it makes sense to use it. (For instance, traveling to an area where the water is considered unsafe to drink or wash with...)

I also don't buy antibacterial soap (which is sometimes hard to find!), and if given a choice when out and about, I'll use the non-antibacterial soap.

i keep some in my purse & in the truck - mainly for times like coming out of the mall/etc... we'll often have a snack of some sort that we want to eat on the way home and it's a quick way to 'clean' off whatever gross germs got on us from the escalator railings, door handles, money, etc etc. :tongue_smilie:

I use alcoholic hand sanitizer but avoid other antibacterial products. I have been told by medical professionals that neither alcohol nor bleach contribute to resistant bacteria because they work by drying out the cell membrane, rather than the poisoning effect that antibiotic soap, etc. has.

I use it is more convenient (in terms of time) or sanitary than hand-washing (most public bathrooms). I don't object to it being everywhere because sometimes in those places I need it.

We use them sometimes. Mainly for when we come out of malls or when I pump gas. I used to use it all. the. time. whenever DD#2 was around 18 months to 2 years old. Every time she got a cold it would turn into croup and she'd have to be hospitalized. They were my friend then. I use them much less now.

I remember in my micro class last year the proff was talking about how when the anti-bacterial formulas that were being used in surgery prep stopped being effective, they sold the formula to companies like Johnson and Johnson.

I wonder if a similar thing has happened with the anti-bacterial thing.

Soap and water here, with lots of scrubbing!

We use it all the time. I keep a small bottle in my purse and we each have one that stays in our travel bags. We spend a lot of time on crowded, germy subways, taxis and public busses. Plus we've come across many restaurants and bathrooms that don't have hand soap. I buy it by the gallon because I have to refill the little bottles so much.

I carry a small bottle with me, because we do a lot of hiking/nature trail walking, and the portapotties & vault bathrooms at those places don't always have sanitizer. The city park bathrooms here have flush toilets and cold running water, but generally don't have soap.

Yep. Only we are at baseball fields, not out hiking. Bathrooms and running water are provided, soap is not. yuck.

I keep a box of individually-wrapped wet wipes in my car, and I *think* there might be a small container of sanitizer in the console, but I honestly don't know. That's how much it's been used lol. I can't stand the stuff. It smells gross, it feels weird to my touch-sensitive DS, and really it doesn't CLEAN your hands if there is visible dirt on them like there always is after we've been to the park; it just spreads it around and theoretically kills the germs. I'll use it after the kids are in a petting zoo or something similar, if I have forgotten to bring some of the wipes with me, but that's about it.

I have two friends who are fans of it. One uses it moderately; the other is fanatical about it. I find it ironic that my kids are sick the least out of all the children. The one who uses sanitizer all the time has children missing school all the time due to illness. There's a lot to be said for building immunity.

Like a pp, I keep a small bottle of GermX in my purse to use after I pump gas. At the hospital where I work, we are required to use a really strong version called Cal-Stat upon entering a patient's room and after leaving. The stuff is EVERYWHERE! It makes me :glare: I guess their point is that nurses/doctors/techs, etc don't want their hands consistently, and if they have the Cal-Stat available, it is more likely to be used. It's a good point, but I would rather wash with soap and water.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I use alcoholic hand sanitizer but avoid other antibacterial products. I have been told by medical professionals that neither alcohol nor bleach contribute to resistant bacteria because they work by drying out the cell membrane, rather than the poisoning effect that antibiotic soap, etc. has.

Thanks for sharing this. I've always worried about it for this reason. I try to avoid the anti-bacterial products but if enough of us don't, it won't matter anyway, right? :001_huh:

Agreed!

In our house we are intentionally never buying anything that says anti-bacterial and it is harder and harder to find, particularly for cleaning supplies, unless you make your own.

The more people use this stuff the more resistant the strains of bacteria that come around.

A little dirt is part of life and is a GOOD thing!

Dawn

I"m all for developing natural immunities. I don't use hand sanitizer or anti-bacterial soap.

I agree with the theory that we are having a epidemic of auto-immune diseases because out immune systems have nothing to do but turn on us.

Like a pp, I keep a small bottle of GermX in my purse to use after I pump gas. At the hospital where I work, we are required to use a really strong version called Cal-Stat upon entering a patient's room and after leaving. The stuff is EVERYWHERE! It makes me :glare: I guess their point is that nurses/doctors/techs, etc don't want their hands consistently, and if they have the Cal-Stat available, it is more likely to be used. It's a good point, but I would rather wash with soap and water.

Can I ask a question? It is my understanding that they only way to remove c. diff (and other assorted really nasty stuff) from hands is soap and water. Those chemical and alcohol cleansers won't kill the really bad bugs. When my son was hospitalized though that's all anyone used. I didn't know any better. He picked up c. diff. Even when he was in isolation awaiting cultures to see for sure if he had c. diff they still kept on using that junk.

Now that I know what it can't get off hands (parasites, many bacterias, etc.) I hate seeing everyone pretend it's doing something other than killing cold viruses. Pointless. I don't mind a cold. I'd like to avoid, say, cryptosporidium though so I'd prefer people use soap and water.

Am I right? Why do hospitals rely on it then and if my son is hospitalized again will everyone hate us if I nicely ask them to wash before working with him? Will they give him worse care if I do that?

Edited by sbgrace

I do have one small bottle that I keep for when we are out and there might be a bathroom with no water and/or soap. Most of the time though I think it's very counterproductive to good health, much better to be exposed to bugs with healthy immune systems.

I agree with the theory that we are having a epidemic of auto-immune diseases because out immune systems have nothing to do but turn on us.

I am in a quandry about this, because I do sort of agree with it, but my personal life belies it. My parents were never particularly careful about avoiding germs, and neither am I as an adult. And yet I've developed coeliacs, an auto immune condition. I also have at least 6 other allergies, some potentially life threatening. And for the above theory to be true, well I wouldn't have them.

I do have one small bottle that I keep for when we are out and there might be a bathroom with no water and/or soap. Most of the time though I think it's very counterproductive to good health, much better to be exposed to bugs with healthy immune systems.

I am in a quandry about this, because I do sort of agree with it, but my personal life belies it. My parents were never particularly careful about avoiding germs, and neither am I as an adult. And yet I've developed coeliacs, an auto immune condition. I also have at least 6 other allergies, some potentially life threatening. And for the above theory to be true, well I wouldn't have them.

I don't think that allowing dirt in your life and avoiding hand sanitizer means that no one will ever have an autoimmune disease though. It may reduce the chances and I think it does. But there can be so many other factors taht led to you having celiacs and allergies. Genetics being one.

I dont even use soap, let alone hand sanitiser. We have one bar of soap for when we really need it, but none of us use soap usually. Dh does have a bottle of liquid soap he likes to use sometimes, but he is by far the most germ phobic of us all.

I think exposure to germs is healthy, generally speaking- how else do our immunse systems get strong? However, if you have the flu, please don't come and cough and sneeze on me or in my vicinity- that's just rude. And if you have a stomach bug, let me know before sharing my lunch. But generally speaking? No, we don't disinfect anything much at all. Not even surfaces or floors. I use vinegar for the toilets.

I guess it's due to all the swine flu hype. It all becomes government policy and common sense flies out the window.

Can I ask a question? It is my understanding that they only way to remove c. diff (and other assorted really nasty stuff) from hands is soap and water. Those chemical and alcohol cleansers won't kill the really bad bugs. When my son was hospitalized though that's all anyone used. I didn't know any better. He picked up c. diff. Even when he was in isolation awaiting cultures to see for sure if he had c. diff they still kept on using that junk.

Now that I know what it can't get off hands (parasites, many bacterias, etc.) I hate seeing everyone pretend it's doing something other than killing cold viruses. Pointless. I don't mind a cold. I'd like to avoid, say, cryptosporidium though so I'd prefer people use soap and water.

Am I right? Why do hospitals rely on it then and if my son is hospitalized again will everyone hate us if I nicely ask them to wash before working with him? Will they give him worse care if I do that?

It is absolutely true that the hand sanitizer does NOT kill C. diff. According to the infection control department where I work, C diff is the only bacteria it will not kill. I have not researched this myself, but I believe what the infection control dept says because I know and trust the infectious disease docs that work with them.

I honestly think the overabundance of hand sanitizer in hospitals is because doctors and nurses (hate to say it because I am one!) are just not consistent in good hand washing, in general. It is much quicker to squirt a bit of hand sanitizer than taking 30 seconds to wash with soap and water. :glare:

No, we don't disinfect anything much at all. Not even surfaces or floors. I use vinegar for the toilets.

I'm with you here. I haven't bought Clorox or anything like that in several years. I make my own cleaner with water, vinegar, and a bit of tea tree oil (if I have it on hand). We all stay pretty healthy. I think we (general we) disinfect too much nowadays.

so, I suppose this is the same for Lysol sprays too, huh? I must admit, I thought that sanitzer and Lysol killed germs...or at least made me feel better....I honestly get sort of crazy with the stuff...trying to keep us all healthy...but we also probably go over board with vitamins too...I HATE being sick...and last year we were the healthiest we have ever been...even with the kids getting N1H1 at Christmas (they got over it in several days....with Vitamin C, elderberry and some other vitamin that I can't think of right now.) So, how do you prevent getting sick then???

so, I suppose this is the same for Lysol sprays too, huh? I must admit, I thought that sanitzer and Lysol killed germs...or at least made me feel better....I honestly get sort of crazy with the stuff...trying to keep us all healthy...but we also probably go over board with vitamins too...I HATE being sick...and last year we were the healthiest we have ever been...even with the kids getting N1H1 at Christmas (they got over it in several days....with Vitamin C, elderberry and some other vitamin that I can't think of right now.) So, how do you prevent getting sick then???

To me getting sick is not such an issue, but then "sick" is seldom more than a bad cold once or twice a year in this house. Digestive complaints are pretty much unheard of in our house.

To keep from getting really ill, I believe in creating a strong immune system by not being OTT about germs, good diet, good sleep, keeping warm etc.

I don't bother much with vitamins, and if we get a cold we use immune boosting things and care for ourselves well with good food and good rest until we are well again.

I have no interest in it.

We wash our hands after using bathrooms (though I'm sure most public bathrooms are stocking anti-bacterial soap :tongue_smilie:), wash before eating (though mostly for dirt reasons), and I wipe down the handles and cart rims of grocery carts. With little ones, I use a cart cover in the baby seat. Otherwise, we embrace germs.

One thing that REALLY bothered me was the usage of harsh chemicals for DAILY cleaning (all surfaces and every single toy) when I worked in infant daycare. The place smelled like a hospital, yet the kids were always getting each other sick, anyway. So what was the point, really?

I've only used it after using public transit and we can't get to regular soap and water. It's available at our dojo, but I only see it used sporadically.

I'm in the let them eat-dirt-camp and never use fever-reducers unless the child exhibits pain.

12 year old has had two rounds of antibiotics during his life.

13 year old has had one round of antibiotics during his life.

FWIW, we come from a line of folks that are hard to kill; FIL has been a raging alcoholic for years and just keeps puttering along. My mom comes from a family that is obese but blessed with low blood pressure, no heart disease and no diabetes. :001_huh:

My kids' school used hand sanitizer like crazy. I understand. Every fall and winter, one person gets a cold and suddenly the whole class is sick. You've got a bunch of people touching things in a little classroom. And sure, there's a bathroom nearby but you want to wait while 14 kids stand in line and wash their hands one at a time?

At the same time, I hated it. Imogen has very pale sensitive skin. She didn't handle the constant sanitizing very well. Her hand were dry and red and scaly for months. I would try lotion in the evenings, and even sent her to school with lotion, but she wasn't very good at remembering it. I also think it's not very good for our immune systems to kill off so many germs.

I am kind of torn. I do like the fact that there is greater awareness about the means of spreading disease. But, I do think it is a reflection of how ignorant people are about washing hands. Most people are unaware that if you just rub hands with soapy water for 20 seconds - about the same amount of time it takes to sing the ABC's, you can remove just as many germs as you can with a chemical sanitizer. And this is with regular soap, not anti-bacterial. Also, most people are just too lazy to wash hands that well.

We don't use hand sanitizer when soap and water are available. However, there are times when it is very inconvenient to find a place to wash hands (or that place is so disgusting that the evils of chemical sanitizers are less than the evils lurking in that place.)

It does bother me that, instead of using snack time as a teaching opportunity, they are more concerned about expediency.

We use it once a week after grocery shopping. Something about the grocery store and those handles on the carts...

We could stop in the bathroom and wash, but I always want to just GET OUT OF THE STORE by the time we're done. I'm tuckered out.

So, I get us all in the car and then give everyone the hand sanitizer. Once we get home we wash our hands to get rid of the hand sanitizer!!! (Hate the smell, and if you lick your fingers for any reason, it tastes bad!)

I agree. We don't have any in our house, and I have instructed my dc not to use it. Just go wash your hands with soap & water.

The overuse at schools drives me crazy. I had to send a note with my younger dd last year, or they would make her use it.

What I hate worse though is having kids use Clorox Wipes to clean stuff. Can you say toxic chemicals? I told the teacher to have my dd wear rubber gloves. I don't want my kids coming in contact with toxins any more than necessary. Germs are less toxic than clorox wipes IMO.

I sometimes use sanitizer if I sneeze into my hand, because I can't run to the bathroom every time (especially with a line of customers).

One great thing I learned when my dd was in pre-school: sneeze into your shoulder or elbow. That way the germs won't spread to others as easily.

I think all the studies were funded by the hand sanitizer sales people. ;)

I also think all the toxins we are exposed to on a daily basis have a cumulative affect. So I avoid what I can, because there is so much I can't avoid.