Menu

If you show a little cleavage

Is there an age cutoff? Does it become inappropriate/grotesque after a certain age? I have an age in mind, but husband doesn't think I need to stop. To be clear: I'm talking about one or two centimetres of cleavage - not BooKs flopping out.

Please can we not debate whether showing cleavage at all is right or wrong? I'm not going to be persuaded that it's wicked.

Thanks

Laura

I show a little cleavage every now & then. Much more in my younger days than I do now just because I've nursed 3 babies and am a bit paranoid about the length of my boobs now. lol I'd say if you're comfortable with showing some cleavage then age really doesn't matter. I think people naturally tend to dress more modestly as they age though.

Once you get a wrinkly chest it's probably time to stop :D

I want to say the same thing, but I can't.

My mom is a bit wrinkly :blushing:, but she looks absolutely ridiculous in full-coverage tops. A bit of cleavage keeps her from looking like someone smuggling balloons. :lol:

I think it's a personal choice. I have never been comfortable showing cleavage and my books are firm and perky. My mom (70) and sister (42) on the other hand show lots of it. I see older women wearing those scooped neck tank tops that show quite a bit and then there are the older ladies with the teeny tiny bikini tops. Some of them should not be showing their cleavage.

I guess what it boils down to (for me) is: I wish I had the self confidence to wear low cut tops.

My feeling is, in this day and age women are generally looking more youthful and fit than in past times. If I had to put an age limit on the cleavage issue I guess I'd say 60, but with that being said, my 73 yo MIL wears tasteful but low necklines and it really does look good on her. It truly is a judgment call.

I'm not going to be persuaded that it's wicked.

:smilielol5:This struck me as so funny this morning!

My feeling is, in this day and age women are generally looking more youthful and fit than in past times. If I had to put an age limit on the cleavage issue I guess I'd say 60, but with that being said, my 73 yo MIL wears tasteful but low necklines and it really does look good on her. It truly is a judgment call.

You know, I'm having a hard time thinking when I've seen cleavage on a an older woman and thought that it looked bad. I think that typically women who are confident enough to show some are in touch with their bodies and know what looks good on them.

Go on, show some. Dh will be happy :001_smile:. I know mine would be if I did so more often. I keep a mental tally when I wear something he likes. I can definitely tell that a tighter, lower cut shirt gets a reaction.

I asked dh and dh said, "i need a picture to say" so thanks!

Dh and I didn't even think she was showing cleavage. We wouldn't even notice a woman wearing that. We certainly wouldn't think her scandalous.

Dh's first reaction was that he didn't like her hair do.

Lydia of Lydia's Kitchen shows cleavage all of the time. I like it. :D There is something wonderful about that level of confidence. She's also not American-born, so that explains a lot.

http://www.whyy.org/about/pressroom/images/lidia4.jpg

http://www.johnmariani.com/archive/2006/060326/resLidiaBastianich.jpg

I heart cleavage.

I personally think you should wear whatever you still look good in. Having said that, I recently told my future daughter-in-law that I was going to stop wearing skirts above my knees or any shorts. I felt too old (I'm 46). She told me I should keep wearing them as long as my legs look good. She said she would tell me when to stop. :001_smile:

I can't remember a time when I saw someone showing cleavage and thought they were too old.

I don't think there is an age cut off.

The only issue I can think of is what I call 'trying too hard' - cleavage + tight pants/short skirt + high heels + big, long, colored hair + too much makeup. You don't want to start looking like Rose on Keeping Up Appearances. :D

I don't have a problem with any of those items on their own, it's when they're all put together that I think it can look a bit desparate. I think it's best to stick to one of those items on my list & tone the others way down....but I'd say that's true for all ages. :)

Well I don't know what your age cutoff is, but I will be 50 next month, and I still show some cleavage. Not much, but some. No wrinkles, skin still firm, attractive clothes, dh likes it.

Personally, if you're comfortable and your dh is comfortable, it's fine. For that matter, older women who are comfortable in their own skin and show a little bit don't bother me at all. In fact, I hope I have their confidence.

Is there an age cutoff? Does it become inappropriate/grotesque after a certain age? I have an age in mind, but husband doesn't think I need to stop. To be clear: I'm talking about one or two centimetres of cleavage - not BooKs flopping out.

Please can we not debate whether showing cleavage at all is right or wrong? I'm not going to be persuaded that it's wicked.

Thanks

Laura

I really don't think there's an age limit for what you described.

That said: wear what makes you feel good. If you don't feel good showing cleavage, then don't.

Once you get a wrinkly chest it's probably time to stop :D

:iagree: And when the "centimeter" shows without a doubt that they're a-sagging, it's too much centimeter, lol. Yes, I realize that the sag shows outside the shirt too, but it's covered with clothing, lol.

Though I have to say...old ladies and cleavage don't bother me as much as the super fat women in short skirts. As a still overweight but no longer super fat I just can't imagine what's going through the head (no matter the age)....if it still jiggles AFTER you stop walking, I don't want to see it!

I don't want to embarrass myself by not knowing when to stop.

Not trying to be mean, but given your signature line I'd say that you're definitely at the age where a woman ought to be dressing like a grown up rather than a teenybopper. I'm 33 and think that's too old for cleavage. I'm not saying we 30somethings & 40somethings need to dress like frumps, but age-appropriateness is key.

Not trying to be mean, but given your signature line I'd say that you're definitely at the age where a woman ought to be dressing like a grown up rather than a teenybopper. I'm 33 and think that's too old for cleavage. I'm not saying we 30somethings & 40somethings need to dress like frumps, but age-appropriateness is key.

I think it is more appropriate for a *woman* to show some cleavage than a "teenybopper".

I asked for opinions. FWIW, apart from my couple of centimetres, I dress very conservatively: trousers, flats, nice sweater, tasteful jewelry, good haircut.

Thanks

Laura

I asked for opinions. FWIW, apart from my couple of centimetres, I dress very conservatively: trousers, flats, nice sweater, tasteful jewelry, good haircut.

Thanks

Laura

Okay, I guess I had in mind what I see here in CA on a daily basis with middle-aged women dressing in Victoria's Secret-type clothes.

I'm 44 and just now feeling ready to show a little cleavage. :001_smile: I wouldn't have been comfortable as a teenager (goodness, no!) or as a mother of young children (that's just me--certainly no judgment on others).

I don't want to embarrass myself by not knowing when to stop.
Periodically hold up a couple of shirts of similar colouring and simply ask your boys which you should wear (without mentioning cleavage). If you don't trust their taste, ask a couple of good friends. ;)

ETA: I mean asking as a means to elicit unvarnished opinion... not for permission or anything icky like that.

Edited by nmoira
clarity

In fact some of my cleavage tops do come from there. But I wear a camisole underneath to control the exposure and it's my only racy item in that outfit.

Laura

I love that shirt! I, personally, would do what you do and wear a camisole. I have quite a bit of cleavage, so I wouldn't want anything flying out. :lol:

As for your original question, I don't think there is a "too old" for any clothing. I've seen teenagers who didn't have any business wearing what they were wearing. It's all about how you look and feel in something.

The saying around here is, "If you got it, flaunt it!" :D

In fact some of my cleavage tops do come from there. But I wear a camisole underneath to control the exposure and it's my only racy item in that outfit.

Laura

I love it too. I don't think there is an age cutoff, certainly 47 is no where near it anyway. I think it's more a matter of proper support and being done tastefully.

I don't think there is an age cut off.

The only issue I can think of is what I call 'trying too hard' - cleavage + tight pants/short skirt + high heels + big, long, colored hair + too much makeup. You don't want to start looking like Rose on Keeping Up Appearances. :D

I don't have a problem with any of those items on their own, it's when they're all put together that I think it can look a bit desparate. I think it's best to stick to one of those items on my list & tone the others way down....but I'd say that's true for all ages. :)

I agree as long as the cleavage is above the middle of the sternum or higher. When people are wearing shirts to the bottom of the sternum, it either looks 'hooker-like' or that the girls are saggen way to low to be showing them off.

I agree as long as the cleavage is above the middle of the sternum or higher. When people are wearing shirts to the bottom of the sternum, it either looks 'hooker-like' or that the girls are saggen way to low to be showing them off.

So when they're getting mistaken for love handles it's time to button the top button? :tongue_smilie:

I have decided that women my age - 36yo and very pregnant - can still look very flattering and appropriate and show some cleavage. It's not all or nothing. It never is, is it?

By this point in your life you undoubtedly will choose clothing that looks flattering and appropriate for you. If you like the clothing, you will wear it well. I have not worn anything remotely revealing for at least 8 years (since I had kids). One of my few maternity tops this time around does show cleavage. My dh was very surprised when I wore it the first time. He actually asked me to buy more of that style. :001_huh: I was surprised, but I think I understand what he is trying to tell me. I might not have the *perfect* 20yo body, but I can still look appropriate, modest, and beautiful in shirts that show cleavage.

Lydia of Lydia's Kitchen shows cleavage all of the time. I like it. :D There is something wonderful about that level of confidence. She's also not American-born, so that explains a lot.

http://www.whyy.org/about/pressroom/images/lidia4.jpg

http://www.johnmariani.com/archive/2006/060326/resLidiaBastianich.jpg

I heart cleavage.

I'm not sayin' you're wrong (I think it's fine that you think it's fine :D) but honestly, the pictures you linked made me cringe. I think that's too old.

For her though, it's not so much the age, as the droopiness level, imo. Maybe with a better booKshelf?

I'm 41, relatively perky in comparison to my peers, and I'm pretty sure I'm at the end of showing any cleavage.

ETA: Since I was making y'all "sad", I went back to look again. Ayup, I still don't think it looks very good. I think maybe it's a proportionality thing. If you're so large or so droopy that your waistband is there to catch them, I don't think it looks great. With a slight uplift, maybe, but...the original poster *asked* for opinions. Just 'cause mine's different than yours doesn't make me wrong or sad, just means I have a different opinion than yours. ;)

Edited by Julie in CA

I'm not sayin' you're wrong (I think it's fine that you think it's fine :D) but honestly, the pictures you linked made me cringe. I think that's too old.

For her though, it's not so much the age, as the droopiness level, imo. Maybe with a better booKshelf?

I'm 41, relatively perky in comparison to my peers, and I'm pretty sure I'm at the end of showing any cleavage.

:( That makes me sad. I think the links look just fine.

Who *cares* about droop? I earned every inch of mine.

:( That makes me sad. I think the links look just fine.

Who *cares* about droop? I earned every inch of mine.

I think it's the same sentiment as was in the swim suit thread - essentially only perfect & pretty people should even think about displaying their bods, and everyone else: 'ewwww, put it away!' & should be prepared for snide comments.

People who are not perfect, whose bodies show wear & tear, or who are plump or gaunt or scarred or whatever - they're all supposed to hide under tasteful swathes of fabric. (Maybe cover their face while they're at it if it's not particularly attractive? Or at the very least, use some makeup so our eyes are not hurt by the sight of a non-perfect, wrinkled face with bad teeth?..sorrry, veeering into sarcasm here...)

I agree it's :(

And apart from the few self appointed fashion & taste critics, the fact remains that MOST people don't really notice or care what you wear or whether your boobs sag or whether your thighs are 'too fat'. (could be we're too self absorbed & worried about our OWN boobs & thighs to notice yours :D)

And as for the judgement of the people who do notice - Pshaw; it's worth nothing.

Hellen Miren is 66! She still looks great in a bikini! I say, if you look good, fine. Age has nothing to do with it. But if it's not looking good on you, stop.

helen-mirren-bikini.jpg

hmmm, dont' know why the picture didn't show up, it was there on my preview! Anyway, just google it. :)