Menu

Hmm...who should provide all those school supplies?

The school supply thread was interesting. There are some long, specific, budget-busting supply lists out there.

But, I wonder, what is the alternative? Should the teachers pay for all those Kleenex, glue sticks, colored pencils, markers, crayons, pencils, and notebooks? These are all consumable items which many schools apparently do not provide for each child. (I have, however, worked at schools were all of these items were provided by the school.)

How about the 'every-student-needs-one' items like graphing calculators? What about batteries for those calculators? (Lets not start a calculator argument, please...for the sake of the discussion lets assume that the graphing calculator will be used responsibly and for the students' true benefit.) Certainly these are very expensive, a real blow to a family budget. But, they are routinely used nowadays -- like computers. Same with flash drives.

So, what do you see as a practical alternative? Should public schools be required to provide a budget for these kinds of consumable items? For calculators, batteries, and flash drives? On one hand, these are PUBLIC schools -- where everyone can come for an equal-opportunity education; perhaps those routinely-used $130 calculators, flash-drives and endless boxes of kleenex should be part of the 'deal.' Or are these things the parents' responsibility?

What would you like to see? Do you think it's realistic?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I definitely do not think teachers should be responsible for purchasing any of what you have mentioned. I also don't think that public schools should be responsible for providing each student with expensive non-consumable items they will be taking home and/or keeping. A few graphing calculators to keep in the classroom would be reasonable but not a graphing calculator for each student. Most of the consumable things could probably be paid for if the school budget was better managed. Unfortunately, if parents pushed for the school to pay for it the schools would push for more money.

When I was in school (80's and 90's) everything was supplied up into middle school, when teachers began requesting 3- or 5-subject notebooks for their classes, and maybe an additional pronged folder. That's when we also began being responsible for our own pencils and pens. I remember needing a pack of colored pencils (non-specific) for 6th grade social studies. That's about it.

In high school, graphing calculators were available in class and for use in-room after school. It was, of course, recommended that students supply their own, but not required.

I don't really understand the cause for such a drastic change over the past decade or so.

I think I most objected to the stuff theat seems unnessesary.

2 boxes of Ziplock bags---They use more than I do--I wash mine and reuse they hand them out at every oportunity

twistables crayons---really???

clorox wipes--I don't even use these at home, they seem so wasteful

the problem is that the value of items is personal opinion. Someone else might think that wipes are essential to stop germs. But if you have them all in a closet, with lots of them available, waste is bound to occur. If there are 200 boxes of kleenex, you will start to use them for things other than noses, (like wiping down counters because they are close and paper towels are down the hall.

Lara

Edited by Lara in Colo

When I was in school (80's and 90's) everything was supplied up into middle school, when teachers began requesting 3- or 5-subject notebooks for their classes, and maybe an additional pronged folder. That's when we also began being responsible for our own pencils and pens. I remember needing a pack of colored pencils (non-specific) for 6th grade social studies. That's about it.

I was in school 70s and 80s and everything was not supplied. i distinctly recall going school supply shopping, though not having non-fun stuff like Kleenex on the lists!

I think that students should be responsible for their OWN supplies on a list. A BASIC list. For example "one box Crayola crayons, 24 colors". All items should be labeled with the student's name. If a student runs out, loses, dries out their supplies they are responsible for replacing their own supplies. Any students who cannot afford a box of crayons, a box of pencils, a glue stick, and other BASIC supplies should have those provided for them. (I am guessing that in most schools a few parents or the PTA would be willing to pick up the extras since they weren't already being fleeced for extra supplies.)

There is NO need for "twistable crayons"! And if the teacher feels that she cannot live without post-its or whatever she may buy them from her salary, just like the rest of the world.

The schools in our district provide all supplies. Students are actually told NOT to bring anything to school. Teachers also cannot ask for students to bring anything not even paper towel rolls for a craft.

Actually it really stinks. It means my husband is budgeted exactly $10 per student for supplies for the entire school year. That has to include pencils, paper (including copier & writing paper), tissue, crayons, glue, erasers, etc.

Once that $10 per student is gone, we pay for it or he goes without. :glare:

I don't know the answer. BUt I do remember being in school and told to bring our own little pocket size pack of kleenex. I do remember being told that since I had forgotten my pencils then I had better remember the day's work so I could write it down when I got home and found one. And the note that went home letting mom know I was unprepared for the school day. I do remember not eating lunch because I forgot mine and didn't remember it until lunch time. (the teachers announced every morning "Who has their lunch" and those that didn't were sent to the office to call home. I didn't remember even then.) Oh and other kids would let you use their pencils for that moment and then demand it back:001_smile:

But my school was bare bones. You brought in your stuff and it was used by you. When you ran out, the teacher sent home the "note" and let the problem fall on your parents. (out of glue- " I sent you to school with 4 bottles. You've used them All???'" kind of conversations popped up.) You learned to be very cautious with your school supplies. We also didn't have endless copies of stuff but actual books and workbooks. i even had to erase a page in one book that had been missed because workbooks were used year after year until DONE. (even if that took a few years.)

So I don't know the answer. I hear parents rant and I hear teachers rant. I see both sides. I think the kid needs to understand that supplies aren't limitless. I think teachers should care better and be happy if a student comes in with colored markers from last year. (i used one pencil book filled with marker, crayons, pencils, erasers, and the glue bottle for much of elementary school. You got a new one or new things when it was Done and Finished.) Now it seems it has to be new and perfect ever year. I even remember pencil box inspection! LOL! You opened your box on the desk and the teacher walked by and looked at your stuff. She would then send home the "note" saying you needed this or that to be successful. God, I'm not even sure if the box went home over the summer but just moved into your new classroom at the end of the year. I vaguely remember moving up day.

Has society itself changed to the point that we feel if our kids don't have , the teacher/school will provide it? No one was ever shocked when the teacher/school didn't hand you a pencil or paper.

As for calculators, I didn't even use one in college and my child in high school math doesn't use one. So i don't understand that one. When he took the SAT, he said a lot of kids were using them but he couldn't figure out why.

Perhaps the problem is now what is really a "need" more than should the supplies be covered. Are the supplies on those lists really truly needed? :confused:

I randomly googled one of our local public school's "supply list" from a 7th and 8th grade math teacher... this is what she asked for,for JUST ONE CLASS:

"Supply List- Mrs. Cook

In addition to the basic supply list that was sent in the newsletter, these are additional items that are needed for my class.

· Flash drive- this will be used for several classes

· Black and white marble composition notebook

· Spiral notebook

· Calculator (optional)- just a basic scientific calculator is fine. DOES NOT NEED TO BE A GRAPHING CALCULATOR!!!!!

WISH LIST: If you can help out by sending any of these items, I would greatly appreciate it!

o Dry erase markers

o Tissue

o Hand sanitizer

o Clorox wipes

o Index cards

o Colored computer paper

o White computer paper"

Here's the county-wide list, per the Greenville County School website:

"A list of recommended school supplies for students in Greenville County Schools is listed below. For a complete list of items needed for your child, contact your childĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s school"

Elementary

Spiral notebooks

Folders with pockets

Assignment pad

Crayons

Number 2 pencils and erasers

Pencil box

Glue sticks or glue

Ruler

Safety scissors

Packs of facial tissue

Anti-bacterial waterless soap

Book bag

Middle

Three-ring binders

Folders with pockets

Assignment pad

Spiral notebooks

Notebook paper

Graph paper

Glue sticks or glue

Washable markers

Ruler

Packs of facial tissue

Ink pens

Compass

Calculator

Book bag

High

Three-ring binders

Folders with pockets

Assignment pad

Spiral notebooks

Perforated composition book

Notebook paper

Graph paper

Colored pencils

Glue sticks or glue

Washable markers

Ruler

Packs of facial tissue

Ink pens

Compass and protractor

Calculator

Book bag

I was in school in the late 80's to 2000 and almost nothing was supplied, except the calculators. The school recommended you buy one, but it wasn't a requirement and they provided for students who didn't have one.

Students and their families also provided tissue, hand wipes, or ziploc bag supplies based on their last name. A-G brought tissues etc. I remember classrooms always running out of tissue after winter break. In high school bringing tissue wasn't on the list, so if you needed some you packed your own or hoped someone would share.

I think parents should supply the school supplies.

I understand the need for clorox wipes at a school or in a large group with one adult available. They are convenient for cleaning up messes. Ziploc bags are often used to store pooled or extra supplies or contain messy clothing for younger students.

I don't know what twistable crayons are and I oppose requiring specific brands names.

Well, I don't know who I think should provide the supplies, but something new is going on in my community, and I think it's super exciting! Every school in the county is being "adopted" by several local churches. Volunteers from the churches are going to be doing maintenance on "their" schools (our county school maintenance budget is being decreased from $600,000 to $220,000 for the year, for all the schools in the system!!). We are going to be doing school supply drives and providing many things for the schools.

Now before anyone gets on a separation of church and state thing, this is not about the churches trying to get in the school's business. There will be nothing asked in return from the churches. Many of the schools already have bible clubs, so if they need help with that, volunteers from the churches can help. Other than that, nothing else. The churches saw a need and are providing it. Just like Jesus taught in the bible. I am so excited about this!

Well, I don't know who I think should provide the supplies, but something new is going on in my community, and I think it's super exciting! Every school in the county is being "adopted" by several local churches. Volunteers from the churches are going to be doing maintenance on "their" schools (our county school maintenance budget is being decreased from $600,000 to $220,000 for the year, for all the schools in the system!!). We are going to be doing school supply drives and providing many things for the schools.

Now before anyone gets on a separation of church and state thing, this is not about the churches trying to get in the school's business. There will be nothing asked in return from the churches. Many of the schools already have bible clubs, so if they need help with that, volunteers from the churches can help. Other than that, nothing else. The churches saw a need and are providing it. Just like Jesus taught in the bible. I am so excited about this!

I think that is a great idea! I wonder if community businesses could get involved in something like that also?

Kelly

Around here some area churches and community groups are taking up school supplies and filling backpacks to give to children that can't afford their school supplies. There are various drop off points around town for the items. So if you have a few extra $$ and want to help others you can. If you are really broke and can't afford your child's school supplies you can get help.

In our area, schools have such different requirements. Not to mention, teachers in the same school teaching the same grade may have different lists. It drives parents crazy. I thought the point of having tax supported public schools was to provide an education to everyone regardless of income level. Materials needed should be included in the budget. Maybe pay cuts for some high paid administrators (not teachers) would help fund the supply budget. I don't like brand specific requests and I don't like pooling supplies. I don't think I would mind buying items for my children to use and a few extra to help create a pool to be used as needed if I had to send supplies.

ETA: Our church adopted a nearby elementary school several years ago. We provide uniforms and supplies to families identified by the school.

Edited by emzhengjiu

In the school district I attended, the only required supplies in high school were those which the student would be expected to use himself. The teacher sometimes wanted specific things, so that the student could do his work a specific way, but never was an individual student expected to buy anything for anyone else. However, teachers would often offer bonuses for bringing Kleenex - because Kleenex was kept on the teacher's desk, and everyone could use it. In other classrooms, the teacher had no Kleenex and anyone who asked for it was sent to the bathroom (unless she *really* liked you).

However, all of the math classrooms had a set of graphing calculators, as did some of the science classrooms.

I don't really understand why elementary (and even middle) schools have the class lists they do. It's as if the school is trying to collect all their consumable supplies for the year from students' parents. It would make sense to me for everyone to bring their own labeled supplies and then have to deal with the consequences if they ran out. It would also make sense to have financial help for those kids who really cannot afford the required supplies.

I think the district budget probably runs out before school supplies get covered.

Around here some area churches and community groups are taking up school supplies and filling backpacks to give to children that can't afford their school supplies. There are various drop off points around town for the items. So if you have a few extra $$ and want to help others you can. If you are really broke and can't afford your child's school supplies you can get help.

My church provides school supplies for the middle school next door and has for years. It's not uncommon. :001_smile:

I bought one set of twistable crayons for my DD 3 years ago. They're still going strong. We also have one set of twistable colored pencils. Ditto. The twistables last much, much longer, the colored pencils always have a point, and they don't melt in the car.

I would question buying them for a classroom, though, because it does take some training to use them appropriately-you don't twist them up extra because if you do the crayons will break.

It is just part of the school year. I never thought it a bad thing. Now it annoys me when my children bring home unused workbooks at the end of the year when teachers are asking for tissues, copy paper etc. I also became annoyed when I sent 24 pencils in for ds and he got in trouble for not having a pencil:confused: in one of his classes. So, I went out and bought another pack, gave him 2 more pencils every few weeks. Then....wait for it.....I made him go to school the last day and all the kids that did showed up the last day got to bring home extra supplies of pencils. DS brought home almost a full box of 24. Whatcha gonna do?

Edited by lynn

I have no problem paying for my kids' school supplies and sending in some extra for the class pool. Also, our schools collect supplies for schools where most families cannot afford supplies. So I send in supplies for the school supply drives. My dd's kindergarten supplies were about $25.

I teach in an area where school supplies are scarce, but I teach high school math, so I really only need them to have paper, pencil, a folder, and a graphing calculator. (Before anyone fusses about this requirement...College Board requires AP Calculus and AP Stats students to have access to graphing calculators. The tests have problems that require calculators.) I supply paper, tissues, pencils, staples, folders, etc. for those that need them. A generous business donated money for graphing calculators.

I haven't read the other responses, but I absolutely believe the public school should include basic supplies -- tissues, glue sticks, toilet paper, chalk, erasers, waste baskets -- in their budget. I mean, it is a school and those are basic supplies you would expect to find there. I can see having the students supply their own calculators.

I think the schools should let parents know of a few things their child will need -- notebook, paper, pencil -- but the school is taking a huge chunk of our tax dollars and doing what with it?

This was certainly feasible when I was in school and this seems to be a fairly recent phenomenon to ask for all these supplies. I was never asked to bring in anything but a very few items and if I did bring something in, it was for my own use. My sister was actually asked to either bring in a lamp or a trashcan or some piece of furniture last year. Whatever it was, it was unbelievable.

I don't think the teachers should be required to fork over the money for the supplies either. There should be money in the budget for them to get the things they need to run their classrooms.

I equate it to our county getting tons of additional revenue when the real estate prices skyrocketed. What did they do with that money? Spend every dime. Now that real estate prices have plummeted, they feel entitled to continue to get that same amount even though they should have realized it was a windfall. So what happens? My tax rate gets raised and I am actually paying more taxes than I was when the market was at its high. I don't know the exact numbers, but I believe the school system gets about 70% of that money. And then they have the gall to ask parents to bring in hundreds of dollars worth of supplies if they have multiple children. In my mind, that's ridiculous and unfair, but people accept it (as I'm sure I would as well if my child were in school), so it continues.

Lisa

:iagree:

Last year, I was the advisee to a lovely Gold Award recipient. Her project was to collect school supplies for foster teens in our county. She was able to put together about 55 backpacks with binders, paper, spiral notebooks, pens, pencils, rulers, book covers... you name it, she probably had it! There are some great opportunities out there to get the school supplies when money is an issue.

I attended a private school - classroom supplies were provided (though whether by the school or by the teacher, I don't really know), and we each had a school supply list. Our supplies, labeled with our name, that we used for the year. No community pot or whatnot.

I attended a private school - classroom supplies were provided (though whether by the school or by the teacher, I don't really know), and we each had a school supply list. Our supplies, labeled with our name, that we used for the year. No community pot or whatnot.

Do you know if your parents paid a book fee? I went to private school as well but my parents always had about a $200 yearly per child curriculum/book/supply fee on top of tuition. But yes, all supplies were provided, though we always brought our own stuff as well (That back-to-school rabid consumerism would kick in. LOL).

Last I checked, the funding for the 'typical' student in my area was just over $2000. Per student. Class sizes are btwn 20-35. (Smallest I've heard of was 23) There's no reason, imo, that the school cannot cover the supplies.

And 'typical' refers to the children without any sort of special needs. Special needs funding increases dramatically.

And then there's the constant fundraisers...*sigh*

Reality of it is, there's tonnes of waste happening in ps, starting at the board level. Start out by taking a chunk of their salaries...

ETA: Textbook rental fees, bus passes were the norm as well. $100 was the last 'textbook rental fee' I paid.

I think things like pencils, notebooks, folders, etc. should come from the parents. They shouldn't be pooled. When children have pooled supplies that seem limitless to them, they won't learn to take care of things. If a family cannot afford supplies, there should be some sort of way for those students to be provided for.

Cleaning supplies like paper towels should be provided by the school district (not the teacher, not the parents).

Teacher supplies like dry erase markers should also be supplied by the school district. A student shouldn't have to bring materials that the teacher needs to be able to teach. My work provides me with pens, a teacher's work should supply him/her with dry erase markers.

I don't understand why very specific supplies are required--brand name glue, types of notebooks, etc. I never had those requirements for my supplies when I was growing up. I would look at the classes I had, determine which ones needed notebooks (art, for example, doesn't need a lined paper notebook), and I would buy notebooks that I liked. If I bought an 80 page notebook and it wasn't enough, then I would have to get a new notebook in the middle of the year.

The parents should supply only the items that their child actually *uses,* pencils/paper/crayons/scissors/etc... I think a box of Kleenex, a roll of paper towels, and a bottle of Germ-x per child are reasonable...so is a kind request for more mid-year if the supply runs low. Parents should be encouraged to *voluntarily* donate extra supplies for needy children that are handed out by the school office. (Even as a HSer, I donate supplies when the opportunity arises.)

The bothersome thing is an assumption that those who can afford school supplies *owe* it to the rest to supply theirs. Just like I tell my dc, "Ask nicely, don't grab!"

Do you know if your parents paid a book fee? I went to private school as well but my parents always had about a $200 yearly per child curriculum/book/supply fee on top of tuition. But yes, all supplies were provided, though we always brought our own stuff as well (That back-to-school rabid consumerism would kick in. LOL).

I think it was just tucked into the tuition. I remember them complaining about the extra, yet required, lunch fee, which wasn't taken into account when figuring financial aid. :P That was all elementary school.

7-12, we bought our books, just like in a college. And then we could either sell them back, keep them, or sell them amongst ourselves. I'm pretty sure it was all included in tuition other than that. We certainly paid enough. ;) (Tuition there is up to $19,500 per year now! Gulp.)

In high school, graphing calculators were available in class and for use in-room after school. It was, of course, recommended that students supply their own, but not required.

I don't really understand the cause for such a drastic change over the past decade or so.

This is pretty close to what I remember. I know that in 7th grade my math teacher required us to provide a pronged folder and my mother was shocked that the school expected her to purchase it. Prior to that, everything was provided. I do remember that the room mother in elementary school usually asked parents to send in a box of tissues because the ones the school purchased were scratchy -- but they definitely provided them.

I was wrong. Its over SEVEN thousand for primary students.

http://education.alberta.ca/department/budget.aspx

Which has to cover:

--building maintenance

--utilities

--support staff

--general equipment

--salaries

--benefits

Shall I go on? In a classroom of 25, you are probably paying close to half of that money on the salary and benefits for the teacher.

When I was in elementary school, the school provided all supplies. The only thing the students had to bring was a backpack and lunch box if they wanted to.

I don't even mind providing the supplies for my children but it is all the stuff that bother me. Back in the day, the school had soap and water, paper towels, student brought there own small pack of tissues, we didn't use disinfectant wipes, etc. The school also provided the teachers supplies like red pencils, expo markers, sharpies, and such. The requests for specific items also bothers me. I have tons of school supplies already but they have to specific color folders and binders, specific brands of things. The items they request are almost always the most expensive choices. I was looking at my receipt since I started the other thread. Here is the price of some of the items:

Hand sanitizer - one for each child $6

Paper Towels - two rolls per child $13

Clorox wipes - one container per child $6

Kleenex - 2 boxes per child $3.5

The locker kits were $15 each and were optional but they only have half size lockers so the only way to fit everything in there is with a shelving and container system, even then I have no idea how they get their coats and backpacks in them.

Now granted, I did not shop around for the best prices for each item so I probably paid more for some items that I could have but to me it was worth the convience of getting it all in one place at one time. Even I had shopped around, I seriously doubt that I would have saved a ton of money. I am already paying both county and city property taxes and school fees. Somehow, I get the feeling that the school is not managing it's money very well. On top of all this they are frequently asking for contributions for books, projectors, computers and so on.

Now before anyone gets on a separation of church and state thing, this is not about the churches trying to get in the school's business. There will be nothing asked in return from the churches.

I think this is a slippery slope. It will be interesting to see what happens with this arrangement over the next 5-10 years.

I think last I read there was some ridiculous amount spent per student in my district. We are talking something like $16,000. They can't manage to afford a few boxes of crayons?

The problem is that the $16,000 number is an average. Special needs kids are averaged in to this average cost. In my school district, there are probably 10 kids in each elementary school that the school must provide and individual aide for. A school district near me is required to pay $100,000 a year in tuition at a boarding school out of state for a severely autistic child. That kind of thing ups the average.

I think special needs kids should get what they need through the school system, but I wish they could budget separately for the special needs.

The school supply thread was interesting. There are some long, specific, budget-busting supply lists out there.

When I was in school, we did provide many of our own supplies. But it was a reasonable amount of supplies, and we got to take them home at the end of the year.

Each child had his/her own glue, scissors, pencils, erasers. We each brought in one box of facial tissue (26 boxes should last the whole school year). We provided our own crayons, pencils, erasers, folders, binders, notebook paper, standard calculator, etc.

The school provided bathroom tissue (cheap and scratchy), paper towels, art supplies used in Art Classes. We were not asked for ziploc bags, hand sanitizer (and we all lived!), Clorox Wipes, etc. There were no "locker kits" (I don't even know what that is!). In middle school and high school we had to provide a combination lock. I used the same lock all through school.

We did have some fees. Art fees. Workbook fees. But as I recall they were minimal.

I find the above to be reasonable. The school supply lists I've seen recently are outrageous.

Should the teachers pay for all those Kleenex, glue sticks, colored pencils, markers, crayons, pencils, and notebooks? These are all consumable items which many schools apparently do not provide for each child. (I have, however, worked at schools were all of these items were provided by the school.)

I think a lot of school budgets are really strapped right now, so they try to figure out what parents could provide to save the school money. I'm not totally against this, but I don't see it ever changing back.

I do think the community would save money as a whole if the school provided most of this, because you save when you buy in quantity. Also, now every family needs to drive to the store to pick up their school supplies. How much is that costing in wasted time, gas, etc.?

My pet peeve is that in elementary school around here, everything goes into a community supply bin. So there's no reason to buy good-quality merchandise for your child, and the kids aren't affected when they abuse the supplies. (I would send in some supplies for the community bins, but I also sent some good supplies with my child that she was to keep in her desk, like mechanical pencils.)

How about the 'every-student-needs-one' items like graphing calculators? What about batteries for those calculators? (Lets not start a calculator argument, please...for the sake of the discussion lets assume that the graphing calculator will be used responsibly and for the students' true benefit.) Certainly these are very expensive, a real blow to a family budget. But, they are routinely used nowadays -- like computers. Same with flash drives.

Both my kids need a flash drive this year- 4 GB for $10 at Staples. They need graphing calculators also. But the local high schools do have graphing calculators they loan out to needy kids.

When dd started high school, I had to buy a color printer because their projects would be graded lower if they were not in color. (They did have the option of adding color themselves, but that's a lot more time-consuming.)

So, what do you see as a practical alternative? Should public schools be required to provide a budget for these kinds of consumable items? For calculators, batteries, and flash drives? On one hand, these are PUBLIC schools -- where everyone can come for an equal-opportunity education; perhaps those routinely-used $130 calculators, flash-drives and endless boxes of kleenex should be part of the 'deal.' Or are these things the parents' responsibility?

I think personal items that will be used for more than one year should be purchased by families (calculators and the like), but there should be a fund for kids that can't afford these items. Supplies such as kleenex should be purchased in bulk through the school districe. (In a perfect world. For the time being I will bring in the boxes of kleenex, reems of white paper, and hand sanitizer that they ask for.)

As of this year all of my kids will go to PS (in the past it was just my oldest).

Not only are the supply lists long there are many things that are brand specific. I understand the reason for it but I think it's a bit much to expect every family to comply.

There is also a book fee each year as well. It's usually around $120. These are for books that for the most part sit on my son's bedroom floor the entire school year because they don't use them. I've also learned that most of the textbooks are online. :confused:

I don't mind doing this because we can afford it. I wouldn't want the school to have to do it because that would likely make everyone's taxes go up. I do wish they would do away with the book fee. It would be a good idea for the school to have a back-up supply of everything for families who are struggling but I doubt they could "find room in the budget."

I figure having the kids in school will cost more than homeschooling did.

I definitely do not think teachers should be responsible for purchasing any of what you have mentioned. I also don't think that public schools should be responsible for providing each student with expensive non-consumable items they will be taking home and/or keeping. A few graphing calculators to keep in the classroom would be reasonable but not a graphing calculator for each student. Most of the consumable things could probably be paid for if the school budget was better managed. Unfortunately, if parents pushed for the school to pay for it the schools would push for more money.

I have never heard of a school that did not require students to provide their own pencils, paper, crayons and what-not. If schools provided them, why are the stores overflowing with back-to-school supplies?

Ideally, I think parents should provide consumable items for their students, i.e. pencils, paper, kleenex, calculators, flash drives, etc.

I think schools should supply non-consumables.

I do not think teachers should have to buy any supplies with their own money.

I think it's probably a good idea for schools to keep several graphing calculators on hand for students to use in the classroom.

I would like to see more back to school drives. I enjoy contributing to these and it's very easy and inexpensive to do so with all of the back to school sales going on this time of year.

I've seen threads complaining about the cost of school supplies. Excluding uniforms, bus fees, extracurriculars, etc., basic supplies are not that expensive. I don't see what the fuss is about. :confused:

I think parents should supply crayons, pencils, paper, etc. in an amount sufficient for their own child. I do not think they should have to supply huge amounts of the same that one child could not possibly use. I think parents should supply also tissues and hand sanitizer.

OTOH I think schools and not teachers should supply some stuff such as books and clorox wipes since we certainly pay a lot of real estate taxes in our neck of the woods;).

I think that the families should pay for stuff like glue sticks, crayons, scissors, pencils and even Kleenex. I think the school should buy the markers/pens/copy paper etc that the teacher uses. I do not think that the teacher should buy anything for the kids use...they aren't her kids and it is her paycheck.

That would be comparable to me as a nurse paying for the diapers that my patients are going to use for their children....they are their kids...they can pay for them.

I didn't have a problem buying all of that stuff when my DD went to school, although she went to our church school with only 12 kids.

One thing did irritate me about when she went there. One of the moms decided she was going to do an art class every Friday and so she sent home a list of all new things that DD already had at her desk but they didn't want to have to bring all of that back and forth to the art table...then the art class never happened! UGH!

When my daughter was in public school I didn't mind providing the consumables for her like notebooks, pencils, glue sticks, etc. For us the school supplies always cost less than $10 per year, and it was all stuff she personally used. I don't think teachers should be expected to pay for supplies from their paychecks. Schools should be providing the cleaning and restroom supplies. I think grade schools and high schools should be providing the textbooks that will be used as well. That cost is part of carrying out their educational mission. No textbook fees for the student's family unless the book is lost or damaged.

Technically the taxpayers would be providing them...;)

Exactly.

Frankly, I think it is time for the taxpayers to stick a crowbar in their wallets and actually fund some things that are worth funding. If we as a society are going to require kids to attend school, then we should be willing to pay for it. All of it.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Exactly.

Frankly, I think it is time for the taxpayers to stick a crowbar in their wallets and actually fund some things that are worth funding. If we as a society are going to require kids to attend school, then we should be willing to pay for it. All of it.

I think that would be easier if they were being responsible with the funds they already had.

Exactly.

Our property taxes are VERY HIGH and the local school district gets a HUGE chunk of that. If they were doing a good job with the money and they had great schools I'd feel a lot better writing out the checks in April and October. As it is, our school district consistently gets poor ratings. Sports trumps academics. Every time they try to pass a levy it is for something sports related. We attended the homecoming football game a few years ago. At halftime there was a fireworks display that rivaled our city's official 4th of July show. I know people that have gone dumpster diving at the local high school and gotten school supplies, furniture that was not in that bad shape, etc.

I think there needs to be more accountability.

When I was in school parents were responsible for their own child's consumable supplies. I think it teaches kids to take care of their own things, when they go to the store, pick them out, and see how much they cost. We had our own school box in our desk with our pencils, tissue, etc. I don't think the same lessons are learned when items are purchased for community use, as some schools now do.

I agree that schools are already irresponsible with funds. I saw quite a bit of waste when I was a teacher.

...and Kmart for parents' convenience. They are categorized by school & then by grade, and you just get one out of the appropriate bin as you go into the store to do your shopping. IMO, schools are responsible for supplying textbooks & a desk for each child, and parents are responsible for anything else, as long as the list is reasonable and the items required will be used by their child. I'm not opposed to the school requesting that a student bring a couple of boxes of Kleenex and a bottle of hand sanitizer to be shared by the class. These items help prevent germs from spreading, and that is a benefit to everyone in the class. As a former classroom teacher, I can tell you that I requested that each of my students bring a couple of boxes of Kleenex at the first of the school year. I kept one box at a time open on my desk for the students to use as needed, and stored the rest in the supply closet. When cold & flu season rolled around, the Kleenex went FAST, and every year, I had to go out and buy more for my classroom. No, I don't think it should be the teacher's responsibility to supply Kleenex for the class, but in my case, it was either that or do without, and that would not be a pretty picture. :tongue_smilie:

I was in a school much longer ago than most of you :-) but in Virginia and in Texas, if I remember correctly, we bought our own paper, pencils, etc. Seems to me the school provided art supplies but I could be wrong. I don't remember tissues in the classroom.

In high school in Virginia, we bought all our textbooks; in South Carolina, we rented them; in California, we were just handed a stack of books.

Certainly, the teachers shouldn't have to pay for things out of their own pockets.

I would say that parents should be responsible for consummable necessities such as notebook paper and whatnot. I don't see anything wrong with them buying high school textbooks, either.

The problem is- how do you define "all of it"? Sports arenas and practice facilities? Music/band instruments? Private boarding school for special needs kids whose needs are not best served at the local public school?

Or do we need to stick to academics... studies show that kids learn faster with Smart Boards and personal computers. Do we provide them for every student? What if one student keeps breaking his/her computer- do we need to keep replacing it? What about graphing calculators for high school students?

In my area, I feel like the crowbar has scraped a lot of wallets clean. Fortunately, we still get to vote on tax increases. For the time being, anyway.