Menu

First it was Uncrustables, then Peanut Butter slices, now we have...

First they gave us Uncrustables, because it is so hard to make a PB&J, and as for eating the crust of a sandwich, well you can't to that.

Then they gave us Peanut Butter slices. Because you know how hard it is to spread PB on a slice of bread.

Now they think we need Candwich.

When did it become so difficult for us to make sandwiches? Is this not a skill being passed onto future generations? Will they have to offer sandwich making courses in schools?

Actually, this is a great idea. It is intended for uses where storage for days without refridg. is necessary. I have a strong feeling it will flop though. And, although I laughed at Uncrustables for years, I now purchase them on a somewhat regular basis. Not totally necessary, but whoa the convenience! Plus, they don't get nasty over time like a pbj made at home. Of course, that is kinda scary too.

That Candwich is just odd. I don't think I've seen the PB slices in years, they weren't all that good to begin with. I can kinda understand the uncrustables though. If you put them in a lunchbox in the morning while still frozen, they'll keep everything cool until lunchtime (if you're at PS).

Both the sandwich in a can and cheeseburger in a can look pretty nasty in totally different ways. I will admit that I don't get uncrustables at all. How hard is it to make a PB&J sandwich?

We have uncrustables once every 3 or 4 years. I love them! They are so soft and sweet. More like a dessert.

I never even heard of peanut butter slices. The sandwich in a can looks nasty but I guess it could work if you are stocking up on food for when the end of the world comes and your kids just can't go without their pb&j.

I would probably have purchased uncrustables for my oldest when she was in elementary school because with a regular pb&j the jelly makes the bread all soggy if it's sitting in a lunch box for hours (or you have to put pb on both slices which makes it too much pb unless you put so much jelly that it oozes out the sides. But anyway....). But, my oldest never would eat jelly. Just like ds, she will only eat plain peanut butter - but on whole wheat bread.

Oh, dude. That's just too much. I almost want to get my hands on some of this stuff so we can use it as a sort of science experiment... How long can you leave it out, explosed to air, before it goes bad? I'm betting it's like McD's french fries... they'll outlast us all.

Along similar lines as the pie crust, I'm often amazed that people pay for boxes of pancake mix. I was chatting with a woman once who said she couldn't possibly make pancakes from scratch so she bought the mix. But it's just flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a box. What's so complicated there? I think sometimes we just assume this stuff is hard, without really thinking it through. (This woman seemed to think pancakes from scratch was really, really complicated.)

What is the difference between making PB&J with white bread and uncrustables?

uncrustables are about $3 for six, right? The only way I am going to splurge on PB&J is when I get fancy jelly from the Mennonites (ok I do that ALL the time the Mennonites are putting addictive ingredients in their jelly) It isn't just that it costs more, but that they go in the fridge/freezer or whatever. That is a waste of freezer space. :lol:

Everytime I read this thread I end up needing 1/2 a PB&J. Today's jelly is black raspberry. Yum.

Edited by Sis

unsinkable awards you the:

"Best Use of an 80's Word"

for grody.

Enjoy.

Thank you, thank you. I shall keep it on the shelf right next to my neon green scrunchie and my flourescent pink plastic hoop earrings.

:D

Bethany - born in '77, a child of the '80's.

What is the difference between making PB&J with white bread and uncrustables?

uncrustables are about $3 for six, right? The only way I am going to splurge on PB&J is when I get fancy jelly from the Mennonites (ok I do that ALL the time the Mennonites are putting addictive ingredients in their jelly) It isn't just that it costs more, but that they go in the fridge/freezer or whatever. That is a waste of freezer space. :lol:

Everytime I read this thread I end up needing 1/2 a PB&J. Today's jelly is black raspberry. Yum.

I think the fact that they are frozen is the best part. They are good for packing a lunch that way, and they are tasty straight out of the freezer. I have even tried making my own by making a pbj and using a cookie cutter to cut out the middle and sort of smush the edges to seal them. They taste good but the edges tend to pop open. I do have more flavor options when making my own though. Right now we have homemade honey peach jam.

That black raspberry sounds good too. :)

Along similar lines as the pie crust, I'm often amazed that people pay for boxes of pancake mix. I was chatting with a woman once who said she couldn't possibly make pancakes from scratch so she bought the mix. But it's just flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a box. What's so complicated there?

I agree. But then, I think what's hardest about pie crust is rolling it out, and judging how much liquid to add in. Without the butter and water ("all" you need to add), what's left in the mix? Flour and ... salt? I think most people must not own measuring cups, so dealing with raw ingredients is, I guess, overwhelming.

I agree. But then, I think what's hardest about pie crust is rolling it out, and judging how much liquid to add in. Without the butter and water ("all" you need to add), what's left in the mix? Flour and ... salt? I think most people must not own measuring cups, so dealing with raw ingredients is, I guess, overwhelming.

Yeah, it's kind of bizarre to think you'd want to do the cutting in butter and rolling out, but not be up for combining the dry ingredients.

Honestly, I think people will buy just about anything.

Actually, this is a great idea. It is intended for uses where storage for days without refridg. is necessary. I have a strong feeling it will flop though. And, although I laughed at Uncrustables for years, I now purchase them on a somewhat regular basis. Not totally necessary, but whoa the convenience! Plus, they don't get nasty over time like a pbj made at home. Of course, that is kinda scary too.

:iagree: I looked at that and thought........ camping. And I also agree, it will probably flop (but someone call Boy Scouts of America so they can make something like that). Uncrustables have their own time and place too ;) A day trip to DC is that much more enjoyable when you have sandwiches thawing in your bookbag keeping the water bottles cold.

uncrustables are pretty good but they would be BETTER if they made them with CHUNKY peanut butter. :D

:iagree:

I think the fact that they are frozen is the best part. They are good for packing a lunch that way, and they are tasty straight out of the freezer. I have even tried making my own by making a pbj and using a cookie cutter to cut out the middle and sort of smush the edges to seal them. They taste good but the edges tend to pop open. I do have more flavor options when making my own though. Right now we have homemade honey peach jam.

That black raspberry sounds good too. :)

We make our own uncrustables using this from pampered chef. I have not tried to freeze them though...

I don't even know what an 'uncrustable' is, and am really, really, regretting clicking any links with 'sandwich' and 'can' involved. *gack*:ack2:

Again, not knowing what an 'uncrustable' is, why not just freeze a pbj?