Menu

When do you let your daughters start shaving their legs?

My almost 10 year old has really hairy legs, just like me. She mentioned to me that one of her friends starting shaving, but didn't really say she wanted to shave. I remember I started shaving in 5th grade. So at what age do you let your daughters start shaving?

Well, my daughter started before I let her :) I suggest the razors that have that HUGE head with the shaving cream already in it... (kinda the hard soap on top) It's much easier to shave without cutting yourself. I also would explain HOW to shave... hints on not cutting yourself... be careful around ankles and such.... go into detail... much nicer than cuts all over...

:)

When they get to the age that it is embarrassing to them and they ask about it. Not much help, huh? I think it depends a lot on your dd's hair type too - some girls have really dark, thick hair at young ages. My dd's have light colored, fairly thin hair so can wait longer.

My eldest dd started shaving when she would have to change down for gym classes - about 9th grade. I don't remember exactly, might have been the summer before 9th. She still doesn't shave regularly in the winter, but does in the summer.

I started shaving in 7th grade for the same reason - the terror of gym locker rooms and cruel teen girls.

My middle dd will probably start shaving sometime between 7th and 9th grades as well (prob closer to 9th - big advantage to homeschool). A lot depends on how mature they are, how well they take care of other personal hygine, and how well I think they can handle a razor.

Mine started shaving around 10. The eldest was a little later, but after her I realized it really was not a big deal. I think if they want to shave it is probably time. Get a good razor and a few replacement heads. That first shave really kills a blade! The new good razors, like Venus, do not tend to cut as easily as the old ones we started with. My girls have also found that disposable razors tend to cut more easily than nondisp.

I started shaving when I wanted to. Mom and Dad didn't hide their razors and one night I hacked away at myself :p Not really, I did cut a nice chunk out of the tendon on the back of my leg, but I survived ;)

Dd has pretty well done the same thing. She still only shaves when the mood strikes her, but as long as she's okay with being hairy I don't really care. I believe that she started at around 10, but she didn't tell me and I didn't really notice.

I started shaving at 12, 7th grade. I probably did not even need to, but I was in school and was not going to be the only girl not doing it. lol. ODD is now 12, in 7th grade, and she has not even mentioned it. She is super fair, with see through hair, and truly doesn't need to. I love homeschooling for so many reasons! Not the least of which is much less self-consciousness. At this point, when she asks, I'll let her. Next DD is more olive skinned with slightly darker hair on her legs. But she is SO not worried about how she looks, so it might be awhile for her too (she'll be 10 in August).

I plan on copying my mom as she copied hers. My mother

refused gave me permission to shave. She taught me the corect way to shave, but waited until I did it on my own.

We laugh about it now. I shaved my legs for the first time before I became very ill. I had a very high fever for days, and my family would take turns rubbing me down. My 7 year old sister was rubbing my legs. She kept saying:confused:, "Mom, Gretchen's legs have prickers just like yours.":lol:

It only takes on time.;)

I perfer waxing. You only have to go once a month and no nicks or cuts.:001_smile:

my dd asked around the time she turned 11 (we are fair haired red heads, so we're not really hairy) At the time I still had to get onto her about washing her hair, putting on deodorant and all kinds of other hygeine things. I told her I was not adding anything else to the mix. I also wanted her to be responsible enough to put her razor away so her baby brother wouldn't get ahold of it. About 6 months later she had improved in these areas enough that I felt comfortable getting her a razor.

We have a deal that if I find the razor on the side of the tub or in reach of the baby, I will put it away for a couple weeks.

This year my ballerina was 11 and needed to shave her pits - sleeveless leotard with arms in 5th position makes it kind of obvious if you're the only one with hair there.

So, I got her a razor and she did her legs as well without asking. :tongue_smilie:

She and her twin turn 12 today - her sister hasn't asked yet - I'll happily get her something when she does.

I don't shave at all (pits or anything) and I encouraged my dd15 not to shave if she didn't want to. She didn't want to but ended up starting when the girls at school made comments to her. She had just turned 15. She still does not have armpit hair.

With my dd8, I don't think I would let her until she was about 15 anyway. She has very hairy legs and has commented on them, but not in a bad way. Just that they are hairy and she likes the way they feel when the wind blows the hairs.

My personal opinion is that shaving is one of those things that sexualizes girls if you let younger and younger girls shave. I know that people will disagree with me, but girls don't shave their legs for physical comfort or fun (aside from being anxious to start because it seems grown-up, I have never met a girl or woman who actually loves to shave; on the contrary, everyone complains about it), they shave because it's socially expected that girls have nice, smooth legs ... for the guys.

Tara

Who knows? I imagine it does depend a lot on whether you are fair-haired or not. My nearly 11yo daughter doesn't need to shave anywhere yet.

I wouldn't have a problem with letting her shave. She can start whenever she wants. She has started menses so we've discussed all those types of things. She did ask me about shaving not too long ago and I gave her the generic, "You can start shaving when you want to, but I don't notice the hair on your legs. If it is bothering you, then okay." I think that was a relief for her and she dropped it.

When I was younger, my mom refused to let me shave my legs...so I did it behind her back. I did not want that to happen with my girls. When DD was about 11 or 12, she asked about shaving. I told her that I would not tell her she could *not...but she needed to remember that shaving is one of those things that once you start...you can never stop. I told her that when she was ready to make that commitment I would show her how to do it.

It took her over a year to finally say that she was ready :001_smile:

My personal opinion is that shaving is one of those things that sexualizes girls if you let younger and younger girls shave.

:iagree:This is a very good point and one to think further on.

I know that people will disagree with me, but girls don't shave their legs for physical comfort or fun (aside from being anxious to start because it seems grown-up, I have never met a girl or woman who actually loves to shave; on the contrary, everyone complains about it), they shave because it's socially expected that girls have nice, smooth legs ... for the guys.

I don't disagree with you at all! Teens don't believe you when you tell them how annoying it is, though :D

J

I don't shave at all (pits or anything) and I encouraged my dd15 not to shave if she didn't want to. She didn't want to but ended up starting when the girls at school made comments to her. She had just turned 15. She still does not have armpit hair.

With my dd8, I don't think I would let her until she was about 15 anyway. She has very hairy legs and has commented on them, but not in a bad way. Just that they are hairy and she likes the way they feel when the wind blows the hairs.

My personal opinion is that shaving is one of those things that sexualizes girls if you let younger and younger girls shave. I know that people will disagree with me, but girls don't shave their legs for physical comfort or fun (aside from being anxious to start because it seems grown-up, I have never met a girl or woman who actually loves to shave; on the contrary, everyone complains about it), they shave because it's socially expected that girls have nice, smooth legs ... for the guys.

Tara

I must be wierd, because I love the feeling of my own smooth legs :lol:

Dh doesn't care one way or another (although he does find armpit hair kind of yucky), but me? I love the feeling of my legs all hairless.........

I get itchy when I don't shave but I still don't that frequently.

My oldest started shaving around 10 years old. That was when the hair got long enough to be uncomfortable to her when she put on tights for dance. I showed her what to do, gave her tips, etc. This is one of those things, along with deoderant and bras, that I think it should be up to the girl in question. If shaving, deoderant and wearing bras makes her more comfortable, I don't really see a reason to keep her from it. Maybe it means she's conforming to society's standards but we all conform in the ways that are comfortable or mean something to us. She certainly didn't get the shaving and wearing bras from me because I tend to do both fairly rarely.

So many of you mentioned parents not allowing shaving and young girls doing it anyway in secret. That is what I didn't want. One of dd's friends was in this situation and she managed to really cut herself pretty badly.

I let my dd's start when they asked.

Well, sort of. My MIL had to get in the mix:

MIL: M really really wants to start shaving her legs.

Me: Ok.

Later, Me to M: Grandma says you want to start shaving your legs. Do you?

M: Not really.

Repeat three times. Add MIL asking me why I wouldn't allow M to shave her legs.

I finally took dd to the store, got her the supplies, showed her how to use them, and told her I was going to tell MIL that I'd done so.

She started shaving her legs almost a year later.

My other dd asked when she was 11ish.

Cat

told her that I would not tell her she could *not...but she needed to remember that shaving is one of those things that once you start...you can never stop.

I've heard this all my life. I don't get it. It's obviously *false*. As far as I know, there is not a leg shaving police squad and incarceration center for offenders.

I don't understand it. A woman or a young woman can most certainly shave as frequently or as infrequently as she'd like. :confused:

I do not understand why a mother would not allow a daughter to shave. Why would someone have a rule about this? :confused:

If a daughter really wants to do this, it is likely she'll be self-conscious if she doesn't. Why not allow it at whatever age?

I started at 9 or 10-- 5th grade. I really needed to though (I was a very early developer all the way around though)

Luckily my dd is NOT taking after me. She is 12 1/2 and does not need to nor show an interest.

So I guess its when she needs to and is ready to. I know I am not much help- but based on me and my oldest dd I would not dare guess an age to say!

If a daughter really wants to do this, it is likely she'll be self-conscious if she doesn't. Why not allow it at whatever age?

[emphasis mine]

If my eight year old came to me wanting to shave, I would say no.

Why?

Mainly because there is zero reasons she needs to, and I would be concerned about what kind of outside pressure she was getting that she felt that leg hair was so abhorrent she needed to shave it off. I would put a lot more effort into helping her feel good about her body than I would into procuring shaving supplies and teaching her to shave. If adolescents and adults want to shave, they have that choice, but no way would I allow my eight year old to bow to social pressures that tell her there is something wrong with her body.

Tara

[emphasis mine]

Why?

Mainly because there is zero reasons she needs to, and I would be concerned about what kind of outside pressure she was getting that she felt that leg hair was so abhorrent she needed to shave it off. I would put a lot more effort into helping her feel good about her body than I would into procuring shaving supplies and teaching her to shave. If adolescents and adults want to shave, they have that choice, but no way would I allow my eight year old to bow to social pressures that tell her there is something wrong with her body.

Tara

You seem to be very resistant to the idea of women shaving. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, but I'm just gathering that from your posts. Again, I'm not sure why someone would have an agenda over something as innocuous as this.

Most of us that shave do not do so because we feel there is something wrong with our bodies or intense social pressure. In this country, it is common for women to have smooth, hair-free legs. Girls that start to notice this may start to feel self-conscious about their legs. Not allowing them to shave will likely make them *more* self-conscious. (Just listen to the women on this board who were not allowed to shave as early as they wished.)

Realistically, I don't think there are a lot of 8 year olds that will notice the hair and want to start shaving. However, if they have noticed and are really self-conscious, I would discourage it at that age (more for safety reasons than anything else) but not forbid it if she insisted.

I guess I see allowing shaving is not a big deal. Not allowing someone to shave that really wanted to shave, could be.

My oldest is 10 and I helped her shave her legs before camp. Walmart has Lady Remington's for $12 or less.

On a side note, I don't understand why there's an "age you let" girls shave their legs at. If my youngest wanted to shave, I would let her. I wouldn't give her a blade, but I don't think there's any harm in letting them remove the hair so they're more comfortable.

Blessings!

Dorinda

My almost 10 year old has really hairy legs, just like me. She mentioned to me that one of her friends starting shaving, but didn't really say she wanted to shave. I remember I started shaving in 5th grade. So at what age do you let your daughters start shaving?

When they get dark hair and/or hair under their arms, my eldest was 11, but she takes after her dad. I hardly have any hair on my legs, my middle dd hasn't developed hair under her arms yet.

I don't remember how old I was, but I remember I shaved so hard I scraped the first layer of skin off my legs and they were very red and sore. No fun.

My dd hasn't asked me about it - and I haven't brought it up. Perhaps I should and prevent what is sure to be a less than pleasant experience if she attempts to try it on her own. She is 10, after all. I think the 9 year old is actually hairier so maybe I should ask them about it. I haven't mentioned it to them because I don't want them to think they *should* be shaving if they haven't thought about it. I am such a chicken.

You seem to be very resistant to the idea of women shaving.

I am not. I don't care whether women shave or not. What I don't like is the idea that women "have to" shave, and from the amount of women I know who p*ss and moan about having to shave but act absolutely gobsmacked when I suggest that they don't, I get the idea that a great many women shave either because they feel they have to or because no one ever told them they didn't have to.

In another discussion about shaving that came up recently, a comment (or more, I don't remember) was made about shaving the pits for hygiene reasons, yet fully half the population of this country (the male half) walks around unshaven, and I don't see people making a stink (pun intended ;) ) about this.

Shave, don't shave, knock yourself out. I just don't like women feeling like their normal, natural hair is somehow repellent (to anyone, themselves included).

Tara

[emphasis mine]

Why?

Tara

This was my mother's reasoning, and I shaved anyway. Honestly, kids had started to make fun of me and I didn't want to go to camp and swim because of how hairy I had become. She also wouldn't let me wear makeup in High School (I did anyway) and she wouldn't buy me a bra until SHE became embarrassed by my appearance (6th grade when I started developing in 4th). She TOLD me I was perfect just the way I was, but it didn't matter. All that mattered was I didn't like how I felt. So, I took matters into my own hands. It is the social norm in this country to shave, and whether kids are making fun of an 8 year old or not, EVERYTHING says "be smooth."

Like Lisa said:

Most of us that shave do not do so because we feel there is something wrong with our bodies or intense social pressure. In this country, it is common for women to have smooth, hair-free legs. Girls that start to notice this may start to feel self-conscious about their legs. Not allowing them to shave will likely make them *more* self-conscious. (Just listen to the women on this board who were not allowed to shave as early as they wished.)

I guess I see allowing shaving is not a big deal. Not allowing someone to shave that really wanted to shave, could be.

I will add, when I was in college, and a camp counselor, I went all summer without shaving my legs.:lol: It was very freeing, and the kids thought it was a hoot. It comes down to personal choice. My oldest comes from good, German stock and is very hairy. It was bugging her, but she was afraid to shave because she didn't want to cut herself. I bought her an electric razor and now she's "shaving" every day:lol:. My youngest doesn't have the hair problem yet, and isn't at all interested. If she was, I'd let her. It's her body, and if it makes her more comfortable, there's no harm in it.

Blessings!

Dorinda

This was my mother's reasoning, and I shaved anyway. Honestly, kids had started to make fun of me and I didn't want to go to camp and swim because of how hairy I had become. She also wouldn't let me wear makeup in High School (I did anyway) and she wouldn't buy me a bra until SHE became embarrassed by my appearance (6th grade when I started developing in 4th). She TOLD me I was perfect just the way I was, but it didn't matter. All that mattered was I didn't like how I felt. So, I took matters into my own hands. It is the social norm in this country to shave, and whether kids are making fun of an 8 year old or not, EVERYTHING says "be smooth."

Like Lisa said:

I will add, when I was in college, and a camp counselor, I went all summer without shaving my legs.:lol: It was very freeing, and the kids thought it was a hoot. It comes down to personal choice. My oldest comes from good, German stock and is very hairy. It was bugging her, but she was afraid to shave because she didn't want to cut herself. I bought her an electric razor and now she's "shaving" every day:lol:. My youngest doesn't have the hair problem yet, and isn't at all interested. If she was, I'd let her. It's her body, and if it makes her more comfortable, there's no harm in it.

Blessings!

Dorinda

:iagree:

My basketball coach cut me from the team in 7th grade. That's why my mom bought me my first bra (a C cup).

I am not. I don't care whether women shave or not. What I don't like is the idea that women "have to" shave, and from the amount of women I know who p*ss and moan about having to shave but act absolutely gobsmacked when I suggest that they don't, I get the idea that a great many women shave either because they feel they have to or because no one ever told them they didn't have to.

In another discussion about shaving that came up recently, a comment (or more, I don't remember) was made about shaving the pits for hygiene reasons, yet fully half the population of this country (the male half) walks around unshaven, and I don't see people making a stink (pun intended ;) ) about this.

Shave, don't shave, knock yourself out. I just don't like women feeling like their normal, natural hair is somehow repellent (to anyone, themselves included).

Tara

:lol::lol:

You and I were posting at the same time. You're right! I get annoyed at women that think they HAVE to shave, when they don't. Other cultures don't shave anything At ALL!!! Germans, for example think Americans look weird (it made for an interesting day at the swimming pool, let me tell you). They don't use deodorant, they wear their clothes more than once a week, and they think we're very wasteful with our water for showering everyday.

FWIW, the only hair I find repellent on me is my facial hair:glare:

Blessings!

Dorinda

While I'm not likely to make a big deal out of this, I think I can see where Tara is coming from. Women put huge pressure on each other to conform to an arbitrary ideal of beauty. Shaving legs for no real purpose other than to fit it seems part and parcel for our culture. The same could be said about getting ones ears pierced or wearing make-up, but we have no problem putting age limits on those activities. What is suddenly different with shaving?

It would be a tough thing. If my daughter had asked me at 8yo if she could shave, I would have said no also. No way. Too young. Not necessary. We don't do things just because everyone else is doing them. However, my nearly 11yo is old enough and mature enough to make the decision for herself. She chooses not to because we've discussed it and she's decided she isn't going to do something just because other girls do, especially since there is no good reason to do it. When and if she changes her mind, then she can shave.

Feeling self-conscious about legs with hair on them IS a reaction to societal pressure. But bottom line, at this age how my daughter chooses to deal with that pressure is ultimately up to her. I can advise her, encourage her, model for her a resistance to peer pressure, but I can't make that choice for her. If she chooses to shave because SHE wants to then GREAT, but I'd be sad for her if the decision was made just because of peer pressure.

Edited by Daisy

Whenever she wanted to. I think she was about 12. But she is blonde.

I feel kids need some sovereignty over their own bodies and I don't control issues that arent health issues that concern me. So, I don't allow aluminium based anti-perspirant, but I don't control makeup or shaving.

ETA: I rarely shave my legs except maybe half a dozen times (max) over the summer months. I dont "believe" in shaving legs. I love it when women don't shave their legs. But I am not going to put that on my daughter. She knows me and my thoughts- that is enough.

Tara

I hate hairy pits on men or women...it grosses me out...swimmers turn me on :lol:. I've begged DH to shave his arm pits for years and he just laughs at me. They hold odor and just look plain nasty to me :tongue_smilie:.

As for leg hair, I love shaving my legs for me! I love the feel of silky shaven legs on my silky sheets just for me :-). It may be socialized, I agree, but now that it stuck in my head, I do love it! :D

Our daughters started shaving if and when they desired. I do not remember exactly what age the shaver started shaving.

I respect young women who have the moxie to refuse to bend to cultural pressure to shave body hair in any region, including the nether regions.

I let my dd's start when they asked.

Well, sort of. My MIL had to get in the mix:

MIL: M really really wants to start shaving her legs.

Me: Ok.

Later, Me to M: Grandma says you want to start shaving your legs. Do you?

M: Not really.

Repeat three times. Add MIL asking me why I wouldn't allow M to shave her legs.

I finally took dd to the store, got her the supplies, showed her how to use them, and told her I was going to tell MIL that I'd done so.

She started shaving her legs almost a year later.

My other dd asked when she was 11ish.

Cat

Oh, good grief. I think we have the same MIL. Only with mine, it was makeup.

My dd was 11. But I don't think it's an age thing. If they are old enough to care and they have long/dark hair, that's good enough for me. I grew up with the ridiculous rule that you couldn't shave before 13 and I had long, dark hair! It was torture that summer I was 12! What is the point of increasing their anguish?

Frankly, with my dd, I told her she needed to shave. She is kind of shy to ask and I didn't want her silently wondering; her leg hair was long and I gave her razors and told her to shave. ;)

My mom waited until I got embarrassed, but it never came, so she initiated the shaving program at 14. I had hairy legs (thick, black hair) on my legs since I was 9 or 10. I hated pantyhose for that reason too, because the hair but either bunch up together and hurt, or stick out leaving me to look like the local cacti.

That said, I don't shave very often. Hence, my penchant for wearing slacks.

Edited by sagira

Last summer my daughter turned 9 she asked about it. One of the neighbor boys was teasing her about her hairy legs. We discussed what it meant to be shaving, the maintenance, etc. She chose that summer not to shave. This summer she asked about it again and we discussed it and then we went shopping for her very own razor. For her it was part the hair on her legs is dark and part that she wanted to feel more grown up.

Maybe it means she's conforming to society's standards but we all conform in the ways that are comfortable or mean something to us. She certainly didn't get the shaving and wearing bras from me because I tend to do both fairly rarely.

Yeah, I don't rebel against "society's standards" because the only people who actually don't care about the standards of their society are anti-socials and/or pathological. Every day, I do thousands of things because it is the norm for my society. Why sleep in a bed, rather than the floor? Why brush my hair? Why eat with a fork, knife and spoon? Why sleep in pajamas? Why eat cereal in the morning and a sandwich at noon? Why wear special clothing for swimming? Why paint toenails? Why vacuum? Why feed the dog dogfood? Why prepare food in a certain way instead of, say, just serving a pile of carrots from the garden for a meal?

I don't see why shaving is a special area to rebel against societal expectations. In the USA, where I live, smooth legs, no protruding bikini hair and hairless armpits are the norm for women. I embrace it for myself and for my dd. If she eventually decides she doesn't want smooth legs, fine, let the flowerbeds go to seed, but it won't be because I told her she should stand proud and be hairy while all the other pretty girls are smooth. :D

Yeah, I don't rebel against "society's standards" because the only people who actually don't care about the standards of their society are anti-socials and/or pathological.

Before passing such harsh judgment, you might want to consider that some people are unwilling to bend to arbitrary societal standards that cause people unnecessary shame and harm (and I am thinking way beyond shaving here) and are neither anti-social nor pathological.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator