Menu

Are they right on What not to Wear? re: miniskirts/skorts

If you watch the show, there is (or at least used to be) a sign in the opening that says "No miniskirts after 35". Is that something that actually should be adhered to?

This is my first summer of being 40. I have a few gray hairs but you really don't see them unless my hair is in a ponytail. I don't have wrinkles, not really anyway. I still have the occasional pimple. And I don't really wear miniskirts. I wear skorts but to the casual observer, they look the same. But here's the thing - I have nice legs. I run so there is no sag no extra skin, just nice, toned legs. I've had women tell me so.

So can I wear a skort or not? If you say yes, is there an age that it is no longer acceptable to wear them?

How short are we talking?

I'm pretty dang liberal when it comes to clothing, and I have some decent looking long legs, but I haven't worn anything shorter than mid-thigh since I was in my early 20's. And, really, I've been inching closer and closer to the knee ever since. (I'm 33)

Personally, I don't like how below-the-knee skirts, or even capri pants look on me, so I'm not against "short". But SHORT-short screams "age issues" to me. Sorry! :)

Go for it!!! I have a couple of skirts that are a little short. I'm not talking mini-skirts, but cute, short, sporty skirts. I love wearing them!!! They make me feel good! (And, you know I run too! In skirts! I love my legs!)

ETA: I've also been known to wear my running skirts out on public on occasion. You know how short those are!? But, that's usually just if I'm out and about right before my run.

I love that show! I would say it is okay as long as you bought the clothes in the Women's (age appropriate) section of the store. I have a sister who is very trendy with clothes that are not appropriate for her age. She works with kids and tends to dress like them. She is very fit, but looks silly in her ultra tight t-shirts and ultra tight jeans at 43.

That show is just two people getting the chance to push their fashion opinions on the rest of the world.

Wear the clothing that YOU like and that YOU feel good in - not what some show, magazine, etc tells you to wear (or not wear).

They'd hate my clothes. I don't care. :D

I would say it is okay as long as you bought the clothes in the Women's (age appropriate) section of the store. I have a sister who is very trendy with clothes that are not appropriate for her age.

Isn't that the truth?

To the OP, my suggestion is to look in the mirror and say, "Does this make me look like I'm trying too hard (to disguise my age)?" If it doesn't, then wear it. But then again, I live in a beach community, so YMMV! :001_cool:

That show is just two people getting the chance to push their fashion opinions on the rest of the world.

Wear the clothing that YOU like and that YOU feel good in - not what some show, magazine, etc tells you to wear (or not wear).

They'd hate my clothes. I don't care. :D

Very good!

I'm not talking really mini mini. They tend to come to my finger tips when my arms hang on my sides. And I'm not one of those short people whose finger tips barely graze her rear end. Something like this.

And, yes, in most situations, I'm comfortable in it. There are times I feel it's too short, but then I'll just wear a longer skirt or pants.

Thanks!

I'm not talking really mini mini. They tend to come to my finger tips when my arms hang on my sides. And I'm not one of those short people whose finger tips barely graze her rear end. Something like this.

And, yes, in most situations, I'm comfortable in it. There are times I feel it's too short, but then I'll just wear a longer skirt or pants.

Thanks!

Yeah, I would not consider that a MINI skirt/skort. It looks lovely!

Thanks!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

It looks great!!!

They mean really mini. You are talking about skirts. I wear skirts that are to my knees are a little above all the time, but I haven't worn a mini skirt in about 20 lbs.. even then it wasn't micro mini.

You would know if it was super mini.

Thanks!

that is really cute, I'm sure you look great in it!

Thanks!

I wouldn't consider that a mini skirt. But it would look fine on a fit woman of any age.

If you watch the show, there is (or at least used to be) a sign in the opening that says "No miniskirts after 35". Is that something that actually should be adhered to?

This is my first summer of being 40. I have a few gray hairs but you really don't see them unless my hair is in a ponytail. I don't have wrinkles, not really anyway. I still have the occasional pimple. And I don't really wear miniskirts. I wear skorts but to the casual observer, they look the same. But here's the thing - I have nice legs. I run so there is no sag no extra skin, just nice, toned legs. I've had women tell me so.

So can I wear a skort or not? If you say yes, is there an age that it is no longer acceptable to wear them?

If you have nice legs, and your *private parts* don't show when you wear the skorts, and you're wearing them to appropriate places (e.g., NOT to church), then I don't see a problem. No one should wear a miniskirt if her underwear shows or she's way too heavy. That's just not flattering at all.

Although Clinton and Stacy do some wonderful things with people who desperately need it, some of their "rules" are just wrong, such as the one which allows people to wear their shirttails hanging out with jackets over them. I'm sorry...that just looks slovenly.

Thanks!

I don't even consider the skirt you linked to as short. That's MAXI around here :lol:. I'd wear that, and I assure you, I don't have great legs .

Tell the no skort rule to all the ladies of a certain age who are playing tennis as we type. ;) Or Sarah Jessica Parker (well over 40; nearly 50) & Co.

I wear skorts and tennis skirts (even though I don't play tennis, I like how easy it is too move in them, with everything important being covered) with attached shorts all the time in summer. I wear tanks as well. Not to the museum ;) , but absolutely when I garden, go to the farmers market, run errands (nursery,local library, farms to get my milk and meats etc).

Maybe when one is past 35, they should just stay home and away from any activies or beaches. We wouldn't want to be *offensive*. :auto: I also think gay men shoud stop trying to dress all women. ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

Thanks!

I am 43 and I wear that exact skort. (Well, it's 49 degrees this morning, and it's been cool all spring, so my summer clothes are still in the attic.) I think a skirt / skort is actually more flattering than shorts on most women.

Thanks!

That's not that short! I have a friend who wears skirts like that (she has the figure for it,) and she is in her 40s and looks darling!

Now if you were wearing a short mini skirt with a low cut blouse, a spray tan, big hair ... looking like a cougar. That would be a fashion mistake. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks!

I'm 49 and I would wear that. I won't wear shorts out of the house, but that skort I would. Of course, it would depend on where I was going. To the store, running the girls somewhere, the library, I would be fine with that.

I think maybe their definition of mini-skirt is different than yours. I think they mean MINI, not just above the knee.

I've seen Stacey London wear things I thought were horrid! I think if you avoid showing too much on top at the same time it will balance it out. There are tasteful ways to show your legs without showing everything ya got. Just 'cause ya can doesn't mean ya should. I'd also want my hubby to be comfortable with what I wore, because I want to honor him, not because I have to.