Menu

Does this bride costume profoundly disturb anyone?

http://www.disneystore.com/costumes-deluxe-wedding-cinderella-costume-collection/p/1259941/14850/

"The dream that you wish will come true". The smallest size XXS is meant for 2 years olds. OOKKKay. What's next, a prosthetic baby bump?

Often no one feel the same way I do, so I will not be surprised to see that most people think it is perfectly darling. Btw, the first time I saw this thing was in person at the Dis Store about a month ago (prominently displayed, might I add) and I do not remember the word "Cinderella" attached to it, or anywhere on the packaging. Now it is free shipping and the Cinderella brand manager has to move them.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: I had a dress-up trunk when I was little and used to flounce around in Mom's heels with a "wedding dress" on. That would've definitely made my wish list. Oh, and you don't need a prothsetic, you just use a pillow, balloon, or ball... Then, I used to tuck dolls under my shirt so I could "give birth" in the living room...

M'eh, I always thought the pinacle of my life would be marraige and children.

:lol: I had a dress-up trunk when I was little and used to flounce around in Mom's heels with a "wedding dress" on. That would've definitely made my wish list. Oh, and you don't need a prothsetic, you just use a pillow, balloon, or ball... Then, I used to tuck dolls under my shirt so I could "give birth" in the living room...

Oh, gosh, I used to do that!

The price is disturbing!

When we played house and there was to be a wedding, our bride got nothing more than a dish towel on her head for a veil, and a handful of wilting dandelions for her bouquet.

I don't find the idea of little girls pretending to get married disturbing at all, if that's what you mean.

Lots of little girls play 'wedding' and want to dress accordingly. It's just role play, not any different than playing school, cashier, playing house, etc. At least, it's not different IMO. I can see how it has the potential to be very creepy/icky, depending on the parents role in such play. (some dads just creep me out, with their purity pledges and such)

I don't find anything disturbing about little girls playing dress-up in a bride costume, any more than a princess costume or a mermaid costume. Why is pretending to be a bride more disturbing than pretending to be a mother and playing with baby dolls? :confused:

I've certainly seen costumes for little kids that I found profoundly disturbing (e.g. French maid costume for toddler girls, pimp costume for toddler boys), but I think a bride costume is fine.

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

No, it doesn't bother me--Because my girls love to play dress-up and do pretend weddings. They also like to pretend to be princesses, queens, doctors & veterinarians. They've pretended to be pregnant (yes...they stuff dolls and stuffed animals under their shirts) and they've pretended to nurse their babies. They like to wear my old prom dresses and my high-heeled shoes.

So, no, I wouldn't spend that much on a costume. But, I do let them wear the decorated bridal-veil headband that my mom made for them. :D

:iagree:

I could have written this post!:lol:

I wouldn't buy that one, but my 5yo has a bride's dress from Halloween 2 years ago. She would love to have another bride's dress - she is into all that pretty, princess-y, flouncy stuff (I am not.)

When she is 7yo she will wear something very similar for her First Communion.

I pretended my barbies were getting married all the time when I was a kid. My grandmother would even play the Hawaiian Wedding March on piano as my barbies tied the knot. LOL All I had to dress up in was my mom vintage yellow prom dress...I would have loved to have a real "wedding" dress. There are also pictures of me "marrying" my neighbor when I was 5. (P.S. I didn't marry him in real life).

And maybe before they get the baby dolls, they should get the wedding costume. :D

I don't find anything disturbing about little girls playing dress-up in a bride costume, any more than a princess costume or a mermaid costume. Why is pretending to be a bride more disturbing than pretending to be a mother and playing with baby dolls? :confused:

I've certainly seen costumes for little kids that I found profoundly disturbing (e.g. French maid costume for toddler girls, pimp costume for toddler boys), but I think a bride costume is fine.

Jackie

I think it's adorable. One of my favorite things to do as a child was play dress up. My favorite characters were bride, mother (pregnant and after!), and teacher. :D

I have three brothers and I know there were other costumes in the dress up trunk, but I can't remember ever wanting to be army guy, fire fighter, or police officer. ;)

My parents took me to Disney and I threw a penny in the wishing well. I closed my eyes and wished for a "diamond wedding dress." And because Disney is so magic, I really thought I would open my eyes and see one. I was so disappointed.

Somehow my mother mail ordered me a tiny wedding dress for a four year old. I loved it. I have a cute picture of me sitting in it with barefeet and pig tails.

I was not at all into the whole "can't wait to find a man" thing when I was older. I wasn't the kind of girl who dreamed about my wedding day or had my "colors" all picked out. I didn't date much, and when I did get married, I happily let my mother plan it because I just wasn't that interested and was busy with my career. So that's just to say that it's not like my parents encouraged me to think that my ultimate meaning would be in finding a husband or tried to make me grow up fast. But at four, I loved that dress. It wasn't the man I wanted, of course. It was the dress:) i still have it. The veil too!

It's fantasy. Why are little boys allowed to pretend to be men - with firemen outfits or mini work-benches, but when little girls pretend to be what they women are, we think about s@x and "baby bumps?"

Not at all. I don't understand why it would be disturbing. I played dress up: sometimes I was a bride, a mom, a teacher, a doctor, a firefighter (that was fun). My girls have done the same.

There's no way I would spend the money, but we hit the good will stores looking for dress up clothes.

ds3 would probably love it. He gets married several times a week, and it always requires him to be in a dress. OTOH, I hate cheap acetate crap, and I hate the marketing of licensed characters to kids. We have playsilks, and I've found them to be more versatile for dress-up play, more attractive to look at and touch, etc.. At least then I know for sure that my kids' imaginative play is *their* play, and not what they think they're supposed to be playing.

But mirth - we're supposed to be teaching our little girls that a big white wedding is the be all and end all! :rolleyes:

Yes, this is creepy.

I think there's a huge difference between dress up boxes made up of silks and cast off clothes and scraps of fabric from which kids make up outfits, and single purpose costumes such as this. It's also the difference between kids using some make-up from the bathroom drawer & a children's make-up kit specifically marketed to 2 and 3 yo's.

Disney has been on my quiet boycott list for years & we avoided it for many reasons, not the least is the endless promotion of saccharine princesses and weddings.

What I do find disturbing are those photographs of children dressed as adults, in oversized suites and dresses, kissing. I know a lot of people think they're cute, but they make me shudder.

There's a huge difference between a little girl playing dress-up on her own, for fun, and her mother dressing her up like a mini-adult and creating adult situations because the adults think it's cute.

Like my sister who bragged about her 5th gr. dd having a boyfriend. Makes me livid. Dress-up can be a fun, innocent game on its own.

Yeah SolaMichella, I don't like those either!

Lots of little girls like to play wedding, so that doesn't bother me. I don't buy Disney costumes for my kids, but I'm not at all surprised to see that they've got a princess bride dress, all those movies end in one. My own girls have never asked for a bride dress, come to think of it, though they have princess dresses (that I made), Robin Hood, knight, lion, all sorts of other stuff. One of their favorites is to dress up like an Egyptian...:001_huh:

Oh, gosh, I used to do that!

:lol: My grandma would be livid (LIVID) whenever she'd see me do that. Oh and her mother sent me home immediately (at five) for pretending to be pregnant. Different generation, not very cute to them ;)

My parents took me to Disney and I threw a penny in the wishing well. I closed my eyes and wished for a "diamond wedding dress." And because Disney is so magic, I really thought I would open my eyes and see one. I was so disappointed.

Somehow my mother mail ordered me a tiny wedding dress for a four year old. I loved it. I have a cute picture of me sitting in it with barefeet and pig tails.

I was not at all into the whole "can't wait to find a man" thing when I was older. I wasn't the kind of girl who dreamed about my wedding day or had my "colors" all picked out. I didn't date much, and when I did get married, I happily let my mother plan it because I just wasn't that interested and was busy with my career. So that's just to say that it's not like my parents encouraged me to think that my ultimate meaning would be in finding a husband or tried to make me grow up fast. But at four, I loved that dress. It wasn't the man I wanted, of course. It was the dress:) i still have it. The veil too!

It's fantasy. Why are little boys allowed to pretend to be men - with firemen outfits or mini work-benches, but when little girls pretend to be what they women are, we think about s@x and "baby bumps?"

That's funny, my wedding was shotgun, because I didn't really care about the wedding. Dh was the one that made me plan a place and invite people. I just wanted to be his wife :p But I did love my silky dresses.

But mirth - we're supposed to be teaching our little girls that a big white wedding is the be all and end all! :rolleyes:

Yes, this is creepy.

I think there's a huge difference between dress up boxes made up of silks and cast off clothes and scraps of fabric from which kids make up outfits, and single purpose costumes such as this. It's also the difference between kids using some make-up from the bathroom drawer & a children's make-up kit specifically marketed to 2 and 3 yo's.

Disney has been on my quiet boycott list for years & we avoided it for many reasons, not the least is the endless promotion of saccharine princesses and weddings.

You know what's interesting? I had a box like that for my dd. It held all the old costumes and bits of this and that. She played with a friend and they dragged that out, dressed up, looked adorable (of course) and I took pics for the friend's mom, and our own scrapbook. The mom freaked. Were the clothes clean, how often did I wash them, weren't they too big, the girls could've gotten hurt, &tc. I was floored.

I think, for some, the idea of using "used" clothes, or ill fitting clothes :rolleyes: is disgusting.

As far as makeup goes, I know women that refuse to share any makeup (that includes letting their own kids use it) because it can spread germs/infections or some such.

IOW, I dare say fear mongering has created a market wherein *new* *just my size* *just for me* products flourish. Think about the shoes too. My mom would've never in a million years bought me a pair of heels, ESPECIALLY not for play time. But they're there, they're bought up like mad, and since they fit the little girls wear them everywhere.

There's a huge difference between a little girl playing dress-up on her own, for fun, and her mother dressing her up like a mini-adult and creating adult situations because the adults think it's cute.

Like my sister who bragged about her 5th gr. dd having a boyfriend. Makes me livid. Dress-up can be a fun, innocent game on its own.

We used a lot of pillows and dolls too! My girls do the same thing. I think it's a natural part of being a girl to be curious about having a baby. My girls also pretend to get married. I'm very glad they pretend to get married first and then have babies. :)

As part of a dress-up chest that included a police officer's uniform and medical scrubs, I think it would be entirely appropriate. The point of imaginative play in childhood is to try on different roles.
:iagree:Most children play by pretending to be grown-ups. My daughter is currently dressed as a waitress and has "house keys" for the closet under the stairs. (School schedule... phtooey, she is engaged in imaginative play, what could be better than that?)

No. Actually to me it looks more like a first communion outfit than a wedding dress.

My girls had a wedding dress in their dress up clothes at Nan's house. She waited until she found one second hand for under $30. It was an actual wedding dress.

Ooooooooh, I bet your dd LOVED that!

We used a lot of pillows and dolls too! My girls do the same thing. I think it's a natural part of being a girl to be curious about having a baby. My girls also pretend to get married. I'm very glad they pretend to get married first and then have babies. :)

I seem to remember those as two different games... but then, Barbie would never let Ken live in the same house, because he was a boy and boys were gross :p

:iagree:Most children play by pretending to be grown-ups. My daughter is currently dressed as a waitress and has "house keys" for the closet under the stairs. (School schedule... phtooey, she is engaged in imaginative play, what could be better than that?)

My favorite was when dd would pretend to be a hairdresser. Does mother hood get much better than sitting still why your dd destroys your nails with an embry board and tears out half your hair with a round hairbrush? :lol:

I don't find it disturbing at all. While I wouldn't have touched it with a 10-foot pole as a girl, my sister would have loved it. I played the part of the pastor in several pretend marriage ceremonies for her as a child--one where there was actually a boy in the groom role rather than a stuffed bear!:D My niece requested a "gettin' married dress" last year when she was 3, so my mil and I found a first communion dress at the thrift store and cut it down and trimmed it up for her. We made a veil as well.

What I found disturbing was my childhood friends whose mother let us play with her wedding dress because she was divorced from their father and didn't care if we ruined it! I found that creepy as an 8-year-old. I actually went to the mom and confirmed that Katie was allowed to use it because I didn't want her to get in trouble.

As far as pretending to be pregnant as a little girl, I think it is sweet and touching. What was NOT cute were the 13 and 14-year-olds on my jr. high basketball team putting basketballs in their shirts and saying they couldn't wait to have babies like the pregnant girl in our class with "the cutest little almond shaped belly." My 25-year-old coach and I (who was 14 at the time) looked at them like they were crazy and tried to talk them out of their romantic notions about having a baby at 14!

Me too!

I would buy it for my girls for their dress up stuff. If the kids can have suits, armor, pirate, dr, nurse, police, robber, cow and ninja costumes in their dress up trunk they can have a wedding dress in it. Why not?

I never played wedding growing up, but I did pretend to be pregnant, delivering and then raising my "baby". Hmm, maybe I knew back then I would be raising kids without a husband hmmm, makes you think. ;) My barbies did get married though(and broke bones needing home made casts but that is another story lol).

To the OP: no, I don't find the wedding dress costume offensive at all. Some of my fondest childhood memories is playing the kinds of games lionfamily mentioned above. My sister and I would dress up in our mom's old clothes and pretend to have weddings, parties, etc. We played beauty pageant mostly, but we also pretended to be pregnant -- we put baby dolls under our shirts. One of us would be the mommy and the other would be the doctor who delivered the baby. Later, we would pack up our favorite dolls and pretend our bed was our car and we were on a trip to visit relatives in another state. One of us would sit in the back and care for the babies while the other "drove" (sticking her feet through the spaces at the foot of our bed's iron footboard and dangling her legs over the edge). Wow! Great memories there!

i find the bratz dolls and trashy clothes that they make for little girls far more disturbing. i would much rather my daughter dream about getting married than about modeling herself after a slutty girl-star.

I think wanting to get married and have babies is a normal part of being a little girl. I would not spend the money on that little dress, but I see nothing wrong with a little girl wanting to play wedding.

I think when adults get upset looking at a little child pretending to get married or a child who sticks a doll under their shirt then yank it out to 'have a baby', they are forgetting about a child's innocence. Children aren't thinking about where the baby comes from...they just know mom's belly is big and then they get to have a cute, wonderful baby. And what little girl doesn't like babies?

Me too!

I would buy it for my girls for their dress up stuff. If the kids can have suits, armor, pirate, dr, nurse, police, robber, cow and ninja costumes in their dress up trunk they can have a wedding dress in it. Why not?

I never played wedding growing up, but I did pretend to be pregnant, delivering and then raising my "baby". Hmm, maybe I knew back then I would be raising kids without a husband hmmm, makes you think. ;) My barbies did get married though(and broke bones needing home made casts but that is another story lol).[/QUOTE]

Did you use toilet paper? My mom used to flip out when she'd find wads and wads of tp in my toy box from me playing veterinarian with my stuffies.

To the OP: no, I don't find the wedding dress costume offensive at all. Some of my fondest childhood memories is playing the kinds of games lionfamily mentioned above. My sister and I would dress up in our mom's old clothes and pretend to have weddings, parties, etc. We played beauty pageant mostly, but we also pretended to be pregnant -- we put baby dolls under our shirts. One of us would be the mommy and the other would be the doctor who delivered the baby. Later, we would pack up our favorite dolls and pretend our bed was our car and we were on a trip to visit relatives in another state. One of us would sit in the back and care for the babies while the other "drove" (sticking her feet through the spaces at the foot of our bed's iron footboard and dangling her legs over the edge). Wow! Great memories there!

I know this was not the intent of the thread, but I have to say, being nastalgic in the midst of yucky rainy weather (which we're having) is so wonderful and warm and cozy. It makes me want to pack a suitcase, throw a blanket over the table and go on a sea voyage with the kids :p

My girls love Disney princesses. We don't encourage this (because we hate the uber-marketing aspect of Disney) but we don't forbid them watching either.

I have to laugh a bit, though, because many times I've heard my daughters say that Cinderella's wedding dress is theeee mooooost beeeeeuuuutiful dress they have ever seen. For them I think it's the fact that it is a beautiful dress.... They just love the "bigness" of wedding dresses, I think. Yes, they are also interested in weddings, but for them it's all about the DRESS right now, not the event of getting married.

My girls like to dress up, but they have never been role-players in their dress-ups.

That being said, I wouldn't buy it, but I don't think it's creepy.

Add me to the "does not disturb" group.

I played Bride when I was a little girl. (We also played cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians, tigers and leopards and Little House on the Prairie.) I didn't have a fancy dress-up dress, just a Goodwill dress and a scarf, but I loved to walk down the aisle (hallway) in my dress and veil and my mom's shoes. I'd bet I felt just as beautiful in my cobbled together get-up as I would have in a princess dress.

Now, the idea that a child must have a special princess bride dress only for dress-up that costs $50....maybe a little bothersome to me, but I don't think that's a playing bride issue, I think it's a "stuff" issue. (My own issue, I'll add. If someone likes the dress for their kid, I don't care. YMMV, if it works for you go for it, and all of that.) I'd prefer a child play bride with that dishtowel and bouquet of wilted dandelions.

Cat

I have to laugh a bit, though, because many times I've heard my daughters say that Cinderella's wedding dress is theeee mooooost beeeeeuuuutiful dress they have ever seen. For them I think it's the fact that it is a beautiful dress.... They just love the "bigness" of wedding dresses, I think.

:lol:

My 7 y.o. thinks Giselle's wedding dress in Enchanted is the most gorgeous gown ev-AH. The tongue-in-cheek aspect of the movie goes WHOOSH straight over her head!

:lol:

My 7 y.o. thinks Giselle's wedding dress in Enchanted is the most gorgeous gown ev-AH. The tongue-in-cheek aspect of the movie goes WHOOSH straight over her head!

Yes, that movie is over my girls' heads, too, so I let them watch it. Their favorite dress in that movie is the CURTAIN DRESS!!! :lol::lol:

I don't have a problem with it. I would probably not pay that much for a costume. We make a lot of our own costumes, or buy them at Wal-Mart or K-Mart after Halloween when they are on sale. I remember playing bride with an old pageant dress and some tulle on my head with my cousin as the groom. It was pretend. I think after that we played outside with sticks that were shaped like guns. He was the Russian and I was the American.

Many little girls have dressed up as brides. There is a picture in my mom's photo album of me, a (cheap, non-Disney) bride costume on over my jeans and t-shirt, holding a Mrs. Beasley doll.

I know not every girl is into dress-up, and not every girl would be excited to dress up as a bride, but I really don't understand how it's "profoundly disturbing". Can you elaborate?

Wendi

The price is disturbing!

Ha ha, that's exactly what I thought!

When I read the OP, before I saw the pic, I was expecting to see a toddler dress that came with fake boobs or something. (Does anyone remember the "Growing Up Skipper" Barbie doll in the 70s that grew boobs when you turned her arm? I had one!)

Jenny

I remember wearing my mom's old white nurses uniform and a white doily on my head and pretending to be a bride. My DD now does the same with a white chiffon scarf.

My grandmother was a seamstress and made beautiful wedding dresses, so I had very intricate wedding gowns for my various dolls. My DD now has them.

Ha ha, that's exactly what I thought!

When I read the OP, before I saw the pic, I was expecting to see a toddler dress that came with fake boobs or something. (Does anyone remember the "Growing Up Skipper" Barbie doll in the 70s that grew boobs when you turned her arm? I had one!)

Jenny

Yes, and pregnant/give birth Barbie?!?

The Heart Family, where the Mom could look pregnant and then you changed her shirt and she didn't anymore :lol:

I have to laugh a bit, though, because many times I've heard my daughters say that Cinderella's wedding dress is theeee mooooost beeeeeuuuutiful dress they have ever seen. For them I think it's the fact that it is a beautiful dress.... They just love the "bigness" of wedding dresses, I think. Yes, they are also interested in weddings, but for them it's all about the DRESS right now, not the event of getting married.

When my girls were about four and six, they would act out Disney stories and make up their own stories, and they would always say, "Now we marry," and start to dance together. It would like they thought that's what "getting married" was. :001_smile: