Menu

What are homeschool laws in your state?

What are the rules for homeschooling like in your state?  

1. 1. What are the rules for homeschooling like in your state?

• My state has very strict rules
    • The rules arent that bad here
    • Rules? What rules?

I consider our rules here in VA to be pretty easy.

1. Submit Notice of Intent by Aug 15th with simple curriculum description (simply a list of subjects you intend to cover)

2. Test with any nationally normed standardized test, can be given by parent, and submit LA and math scores above the 4th stanine (23rd percentile) by Aug 1st of the following year.

The laws in MO are great! We are not required to register or submit anything to the state or school system. We are not required to do standardized testing. We keep a log which documents 1,000 hours of instruction in certain subject areas. We do not have to turn the log in to anyone, unless our legality is questioned by a court of law. Only a prosecutor can request the hours log. I am quite content with the laws here, but I do not take them for granted!

TN requires testing in 3rd, 5th, 8th, and for specific high school classes if you're registered as a home schooler, and if students are too far behind, you have to set up a "remediation plan". You also have certain paperwork to turn in-mostly attendance and shot records.

However, Church related schools have a lot of leeway, and they can also register students through their umbrella programs, so most TN home schoolers choose to go that route, picking a CRS that matches their style the best, which is everything from accredited home study classes like ABEKA to ones which just serve to keep the state off the parents' backs.

Edited by Dmmetler2

I have homeschooled in Alaska, Montana and Texas. Montana required a notice of intent to be sent to the local district, I had to list my kids ages & grades :001_rolleyes: . Alaska and Texas require nothing. I would never live in a state with more restrictions than Montana LOL. I prefer Alaska and Texas laws by far.

California is not as bad as some people make it sound. I moved from Michigan which has NOTHING to California which doesn't seem like a big deal. I have lots of friends in PA that say it is pretty strict there.

I don't know about testing? Anyone from CA know about testing?

From the OK pdf file from HSLDA :

OKLAHOMA

Compulsory Attendance Ages: “over age of five (5) years and under the age of eighteen (18) years.” Oklahoma Statutes Annotated Title 70, § 10-105(A)-(B).

Required Days of Instruction: 180 days. Okla. Stat. Ann. tit. 70, § 1-109.

Required Subjects: None, strictly speaking. However, some courts have suggested that home school education should be equivalent or comparable to public school education. Teaching the following subjects is therefore strongly recommended: math, language arts, science, and social studies. See 70 Okla. Stat. Ann. § 11-103.6.

However since no notice is required they do not enforce even these... pretty much no interference here at all.

I've also schooled in TX and they are just as laid back, even when I had trouble with CPS there (neighbors lying through their teeth) allI had to do was tell them I had a curriculum (they didn't even look at it) and they left me alone about it.

HSLDA has a map ... showing how easy each state is ..

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

Edited by rdolphingirl
adding link, correction

NY is pretty strict and can get messy depending on where you live (each district interprets hs regs differently) and the current superintendent (I have seen 7 different one in the past 15 years!)

Regs state:

Letter of Intent by June 30 or 2 weeks prior to commencement

Individual Home Instruction Plan Due by Aug. 15 or 10 days after receipt of LoI to include all subjects taught. Must include specific subjects (but parents are free to teach these however they see fit

4 quarterly reports including attendance( 180 days or 900 hours for gr. 1-8 and 990 for 9-12)

A year end evaluation with testing beginning every other year for grades 4-8 and yearly in grades 9-12. (These can be done by parents in many, but not all districts. Must be pre-approved by Supt.) Children must test above the 33% or make at least 1 grade improvement or hs is placed on probation.

Children are not entitled to any extra curricular activities (band, sports, etc.) within the school.

These rules sound very cumbersome, but I find them pretty easy to comply with...just think of a curriculm list and then I send in a report card. We are not required to provide portfolios or have our kids evaluated by an outside person in our district.

There are many unschoolers in our area who have learned to be very creative with their quarterlies (mine are only 1 page and basically state:

Math: lessons 1-40: A

Reading: Lessons 1-40: A etc.

Still, in the scheme of things, we are a pretty regulated up the wazoo state.

~~Faithe

Edited by Mommyfaithe

Pretty easy peasy. 180 days, Letter of intent at the start of each year. The LOI only requires number of enrolled students, nothing else. They even send back a form acceptance letter, technically we are a private school. I use the form letter to get discounts and such.

They are pretty easy:

LOI one time when they are 7 by Sept 1st.

The thing that irks me is the testing 3rd, 5th, 8th, and 10th that we are expected to pay a private tester for and then we are expected to keep our test scores in case we get audited. It is kind of expensive to pay for the private tester and the test. IMO if they can demand that we take this test, we should be allowed to come down to the school when the PS kids take it and take it free like they do, or at least be able to give the test ourselves. But I guess this is better than some states that require a lot of additional work like portfolios and such...

My state requires testing. Also, sending in a plan of instruction. Also, sending in four evenly-spaced reports on the kids' progress. Also, traffic safety has to be in those reports somewhere. And spelling. And health. And state history. And library skills. And "practical arts." And like fifteen other things. Once the kids are in junior high, they tell us how many minutes (minutes!) the kids need to spend learning each subject. I am one of those perverts who like paperwork. But I HATE my state regulations.

They are pretty easy:

LOI one time when they are 7 by Sept 1st.

The thing that irks me is the testing 3rd, 5th, 8th, and 10th that we are expected to pay a private tester for and then we are expected to keep our test scores in case we get audited. It is kind of expensive to pay for the private tester and the test. IMO if they can demand that we take this test, we should be allowed to come down to the school when the PS kids take it and take it free like they do, or at least be able to give the test ourselves. But I guess this is better than some states that require a lot of additional work like portfolios and such...

I assume you're in Oregon, because those are Oregon's rules. Keep in mind that the test homeschoolers have to take in Oregon is a nationally standardized test (pick one of the five or so approved by the state). The PS kids take the OAKS test which reflects the PS curriculum. It's probably better for us to take the nationally normed test which doesn't rely so heavily on a specific scope & sequence that we probably don't follow.

I intentionally pulled my son out of 2nd grade just into the 18-month cushion so that he wouldn't be required to test at the end of 3rd. :lol:

I assume you're in Oregon, because those are Oregon's rules. Keep in mind that the test homeschoolers have to take in Oregon is a nationally standardized test (pick one of the five or so approved by the state). The PS kids take the OAKS test which reflects the PS curriculum. It's probably better for us to take the nationally normed test which doesn't rely so heavily on a specific scope & sequence that we probably don't follow.

I intentionally pulled my son out of 2nd grade just into the 18-month cushion so that he wouldn't be required to test at the end of 3rd. :lol:

I don't know if this will fly in Oregon, but in TN, I've known at least one family who habitually repeats 2nd grade, then skips 3rd because it's a testing grade, repeats 4th, skips 5th, and so on

(all on paper-at home, they simply continue teaching what they want to teach). Apparently, it's worked well for them so far (they're not to the subject-specific tests). They didn't want to pay to register with a CRS, but didn't want the testing, either.

California is not as bad as some people make it sound. I moved from Michigan which has NOTHING to California which doesn't seem like a big deal....I don't know about testing? Anyone from CA know about testing?

There is no such thing as "homeschooling" under the CA ed code. A student is either enrolled in a private school (can be one established by the parent or can be an ISP like Calvert, Seton, etc.), a public school ("virtual" charter or district ISP), or is tutored (mostly used by child actors or athletes not regular HS families). Testing is required by the public schools including the charters but optional for everyone else.

HS under the private school option is very easy.

File an R4 between Oct 1st -15th of each year as a private school and that's it. No testing, no subjects to list etc. CA isn't hard at all.

Homeschooled in overseas under DoDEA and that was even easier because there was no filing whatsoever.

A letter of intent to open your homeschool 30 days before 7th birthday. Yearly standardized testing done & kept on file at your home. Record of immunizations must be kept on file. Keep a record of attendance - suggested school year = 178 days. I've heard no one checks once your NOI form has been approved.

GA isn't too bad:

submit a letter of intent to school district superintendent each year, declaring all students over age 6

school year of 180 4.5 hour days; turn in monthly attendance records via email

write a yearly progress report - but don't turn it in, just keep on file for 3 years

standardized testing every 3 years starting in 3rd grade

I'M in NJ and its definitely a "What Rules?" state. No notification, no reporting, no testing absolutely nothing.

IF someone reports you truant all you have to do is send a letter stating you're homeschooling. At that point, the burden switches to whoever made the claim to prove that you're not. From the local boards I'm on this only seems to come up if you're withdrawing a kid from school (in which case they recommend sending notification) or there's a custody situation. NJ public schools have way too many other things to worry about, IMO.

I marked "the rules aren't that bad", but I have to qualify that. If you have a college degree they "aren't that bad", but if you don't the rules are much stricter. According to HSDL MN is a "middle" state that is not the easiest, but not the hardest.

Since I have a degree I need to:

Send a yearly "intent to homeschool" form (ages 7-16) and test each child once a year through the same ages. We do not have to submit scores. I also hang onto everything we do (or take photos and place them in the files). We also have to turn in a simple annual calendar that says when we'll be schooling.

If I did not have a degree I would also have to do quarterly report cards.

The following subjects are required by the state:

reading, writing, literature and fine arts, math, science, history, geography, government and health and PE.

All you have to do here is submit a scope and sequence informing them you will be homeschooling. (or if you use a boxed curriculum that info: example Abeka 6th grade) and thats it. No testing. Just a letter by the first day the public school starts.

Yup, that about sums it up. Except we have to have our letter and curriculum outline in by July 15. Well that is what the letter states that they send us each year. I really don't mind since ,well with my oldest I would submit it in June, so when the year came around I was already ready. With my youngest I am not planning on filing until he is 7 as the law states and by then he will be in 2nd grade.

Now have you figured out if we really have to do 175 days or not. HSLDA site states that it doesn't include homeschoolers in the law, yet it is still stated.

There's the option Nukeswife (Kel) mentioned in VA, and that's the one I homeschool under. Oh, and you can also have someone do an assessment instead of taking a test under this one, I think. We test--you only have to score in the 25% or above, and only in math and reading.

There's also the religious exemption option, which is for those who state that schooling brick and mortar goes against their religion--you have to back it up but you don't have any accountability other than the statement of intent.

You can also school under a provision where the teacher is certified.

Lastly, you can school at home if you submit a curriculum that meets the state testing standards (Standards of Learning, or SOL's) and test. (I think--anyway, it's harder than what we do, so I don't know it as well.)

I'm sure there are some kind of laws but they aren't intrusive enough to make it difficult to homeschool. We live in TX btw. I don't have to prove anything, turn anything in, answer to anyone and taking my ds out of school was just a matter of signing a paper.

Scotland is easy. You have to ask permission to remove a child from school, but the authorities can't unreasonably deny permission. If your child has never been in school then you can just start home educating without getting permission. At present there are no compulsory inspections or tests, although the authorities have the right to ask for evidence (which could be a report or examples of work) that an appropriate education is being provided. I've been home educating for eighteen months here and have had no contact with the authorities.

Laura

No rules here in IL. The only thing I had to do was write a letter of intent to the school to pull DD(then7) out. She's 13 now. :)

And if you homeschool from the beginning, there are virtually no rules. No reporting, no testing, no required number of school days.

Tracy

WA is somewhere in the middle of the road I would suspect.

-File your annual LOI for children ages 8-18.

-180 days or an annual average of 1000 hrs but the nature and quantity is liberall construed

-Required subjects: occupational education, science, math, language, social studies, history, health, reading, writing, spelling, and the development of an appreciation of art and music

-Instruction by a parent who is either supervised by a certified teacher, has 45+ college quarter credits, has taken a home-education course, or has been deemed capable of instructing the child by the superintendent of the school

-Annual standardized testing or assessment but the results are for the parent's records only, not to be submitted to the state

As far as I know here in California, we register a Private School Affadavit once a year in October and that's it. I do keep records in case I'm audited for some reason, but I haven't heard of that happening. I know one thing, if California starts getting too strict on homeschoolers and homeschoolers start putting their kids back into the system, they're going to be sorry. Cali's budget is in such a mess, it would really throw things into a tizzy if they had all those other kids to provide an education for.

NV is not that bad. I have to send in a notice of intent to homeschool with an intended course of study, once per child, and that's it. We don't have to send in another NOI unless we change addresses. The intended course of study could be a simple book list. You don't have to prove you own any of it, and they have no power to reject your course of study. It's a silly formality and nothing more.

New Mexico is easy. We file a letter of intent to homeschool each year, and pretty much that's it. I hear there was a time when testing was a requirement, but that is no longer the rule. The public schools here are so bad that I don't know how they could make it too hard on homeschoolers. At least homeschooled children are actually graduating!:001_huh:

Are they strict? Easy? Have you lived in more than one state? What were the differences?

Does your state (country) require testing?

I think they're easy, but I've never lived anywhere else, so I don't have anything to compare them to. VA does require testing, but they're very (imo) accomodating when it comes to what test to use.

Connecticut here. Definitely a "what rules?" state. However, if you go to the HSLDA website and look at the information it is definitely confusing at best or misleading. They list "procedures" and then say these are optional. Below it states one "must file a notice of intent" within ten days of starting to homeschool. Repeat....that is optional. However, if I were a new homeschooler reading that I might miss the word optional and see the word must.

Woolybear

I think Maine's laws are pretty fair:

1. Within 10 days of starting home instruction for a student, file a one-time notice of intent with both your local superintendent and commissioner of education containing:

2. Each year thereafter by September 1, submit a subsequent letter to both your local superintendent and state commissioner of education enclosing your year-end assessment and stating whether you intend to continue the student’s home instruction.

File notice of intent to home school.

File annual list of goals and objectives for the subjects you will teach that year.

Standardized testing in grades 3,5,8,and 11. (May use the state's PSSA, or choose from the Pa. approved list.). Results must be turned in (reading, language arrts and math sections only)

Keep a "log" of either 900 hours or 180 days. (def. of log: Subjects/books used) Log is turned in every year.

Certain subjects must be taught, but not every year.

Must be evaluated by a state approved evaluator at the end of every year, and submit a report from him/her.

Must submit dental/height/weight/vision/hearing test reslults in some years. (some every year)

Vaccination requirements must be up to date (although you can claim a religious or medical exemption) and turned in.

UGH Looking at it, I'd never choose to home school here in Pa. :lol:

But it's not that bad. I've never had any problems with our district.

Nan

AR is a pretty easy state. We have to submit a letter of intent every August. If a parent wishes to pull a child from public school during a semester, there is a two week wait after submitting the paperwork. Also grades 3-8 have to take the IOWA standardized testing which must be administered by someone with a degree. There are several free testing sites all over the state. We test with our homeschool group.

Oklahoma is one of the easiest states to homeschool in when it comes to "rules" (in my opinion). All that is required is for you to keep track of your "school days." I'm not sure how I would handle having to keep all kinds of grades/records because I had to. I like to keep samples of my kids work just so I (and dh) can see their progress, and it will be neat for them to see when they are older. I am going to start this year doing some kind of more structured portfolio or transcript since dd will be starting highschool, but it is not required by our state.