Menu

s/o so what Curriculum do you absolutely LOVE?

Hedgehogs4

I have enjoyed the thread about the very many curricula that were busts for people, but I found myself wondering, "Well if that didn't work, then what did?" So, I'd like to know what you have chosen that you and your kids love, what works with their learning styles, and how long have you been "proving" that particular program.

I have found that I am not an "all in one" person, and anything SWB puts out seems to work great for us. We LOVE SOTW, WWE, and (though I'm a little bored of prepositions right now) my son actually asks to do FLL, and so does my dd4. I plan to stick with all of these.

In spite of all the recent controversy, we also LOVE Apologia's Exploring Creation Zoology series. I love the conversational style the experiments, the notebook pages. The kids also love this.

We have done OPGTR for 2 years now and LOVE it! We have had to make adjustments (speed up, slow down and so one), but have had a great time doing it.

We have only done SOTW 1 since January, but DD and I both love it. We are half way now and plan to do it again once we are finished, she loves it that much!

LOVE:

~GWG

~Jensen's Vocabulary

~SWO

~Keystone (for a few high school subjects)

~college textbooks for math (BCM, Introductory Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, etc.)

~Warriner's English Grammar and Composition (again, for hs)

~Prentice Hall Science Explorer individual books

~Lightning Literature (middle grades and hs)

~IEW

~SOTW 4

We LOVE our science equipment from Home Science Tools: microscope, insect mounting set, tadpoles, glassware, slides...ALL OF IT!!!

AND...our huge laminated wall map, paper cutter, giant lever-style 3-hole punch, electric pencil sharpener!!!

I think that's it...these have all been awesome parts of our homeschool!

Robin

Edited by Robin in DFW

We too love WWE. It works wonderfully for us. Every single time we work in it I admire its brilliant approach to writing!

We love Saxon. Yep! We do! We don't use it in the lower grades. We start @ 6/5. I use MCP loosely with lots of relaxed stuff in the early years.

Math It - I have used this for my 4 oldest kids and have just gotten it out for my youngest. I am really proud of investing in it so long ago. We have gotten lots of mileage out of it.

Pathway Readers - all my kids have used this to learn to read. The stories are charming and feature true to life family situations. The Mennonite element of the stories made things just exotic/old fashioned enough to hook my kids' interests.

Faith and Life - this is a Catholic catechism curriculum series. I've used them for 14 yrs.

A Beka Biology and Chemistry for high school - my kids took/are taking classes using these books. Very rigorous.

Rex Barks - sentence diagramming - for all ages. And all the grammar you'll need to know.

Various Teaching Co. lectures - I seriously don't think I could have done high school without the Teaching Co! I am addicted!

Writeguide - has been guiding my kids (8th grade and up) through writing for the past five years.

Latin for Children is working like a charm around here. I understand when it first came out there were lots of kinks and errors but now it is fabulous! The DVD is essential.

Lightning Literature - Great study guides!

A good globe and nice wall maps of the U.S. and the World

To start with, my child is a Sociable Sue (with some Wiggly Willy) and is visual/spatial; this is what has worked for her:

So far, Right Start and MEP for math. We have been doing RS for 2 years now. She likes all the colored manipulatives, and the minimal worksheets early on were just what she needed. MEP, while it doesn't have set manipulatives has some coloring in year 1 that has kept her interest, as well as varied problems that really make her think.

Ariel has really been enjoying the projects with SOTW and La Clase Divertida (she still likes to go lizard hunting for soup, and pretends to mummify her stuffed animals, so something must be sticking). We've done LCD for 2 years and her Spanish vocabulary has grown by leaps and bounds.

While not as much fun, she has made a lot of progress with Dancing Bears paired with Jolly Phonics for reading. DB is really good at drilling the necessary skills and building a solid foundation, and JP adds more fun. The movements for the phonograms are just what my child needed to remember a couple of the ones she had trouble with (and she liked the stories I made up to go with them, too). She also enjoyed coloring and working through the reproducible sheets.

Atelier Art is a huge hit here, started this in August or September and I will have to order the next level soon. This has really made Ariel LOVE art and I like that it's taught by the DVD.

Edited by Aurelia

Have I mentioned the Phonics Road? :smilielol5:One great reason: GAPS. I used the variety stuff for the Elders and gaps, gaps, gaps...and yes, we finished every book we have ever started. Still, gaps and/or boredom.

Apologia Elem. works great for us, but only when we shorten it to 16 weeks. Drawing it out for an entire year has never worked for my family. We need more variety. I have found Noeo accentuates both the style (CM) and the rotation I desire (Classical 4 year cycle) with appropriate ease of use and content. I have needed to add a few things here or there b/c we get tired of straight notebooking, so we add in pictures, booklets, and self created worksheets of word searches, matching, etc. I have used, but did not enjoy: MFW, Considering God's Creation, unit studies I created (fun, but SO MUCH TIME to plan), Christian Kids Explore...(dc really dislike this)

I like RS4K, but think living books are necessary to concrete each topic, although I have only used pre-level, 1 and 2. I can't speak to anything more. Makes a nice companion to Noeo.

Apologia Middle Sciences were a bust for us...too textbook style for my gang who prefer living books and visual activities. They learned from it, but did not enjoy it at all...even my book devourer. Too dry...sniff, sniff...that would have made for very easy high and middle school science for me.

Middle School science still needs to be hands on. It's very easy to choose very booky materials and drop the fun of hands on. I won't make that mistake again!

I approached middle school too hard and didn't allow room to grow into the level...enter slowly, tread lightly. You Will See The Lightbulb Shine...then add to the load!

I haven't used a history I didn't like, but Love TOG b/c of the organization and ease of use. Yes, I said ease of use. Once you're comfy and decide what you want from TOG, it is very easy to use. It it thorough enough to satisfy Teacher and offers enough variety to please students. I do find the SOTW to get drier as they go along. Still make a descent resource, but I prefer other spines. I also enjoyed MOH, but found myself putting too much with it to be effective.

MUS has been both bust and good. Honestly, the application of Fractions was fabulous! Makes visual sense and goes far beyond pizzas! On the other hand, for my dc who prefer variety, the mastery approach failed them on 2 notes: 1. the master approach and 2. they forgot many skills they had previously learned. I was disappointed b/c i spend over $400 in one year to get all the levels we needed. I also (no hate please) found it non-challenging, even for the less math proned students in our home.

Singapore, for my math minded children, is the greatest ever. They LOVE it! For those less math minded...totally stressful!

HWT, although this was good, I found the paper use to be very expensive in the end and made the transition to other paper confusing. I was disappointed b/c it comes so highly rec.

FLL was sweet, but retention was poor (except for songs and memorization).

RS is great, as we've used it for spelling, grammar and math over the years......there are more exciting ways to do the job just as well. Some things won't ever be fun, but I have found our solution to total grammar instruction AND we have fun doing it. .

Co-ops were great for Elem...not so much after that!

Loved Pathway readers, although the wb were replaceable with better materials over all.

Atlas, globe, maps, board space (white or chalk), nice pens and pencils....push pencils...too much time wasted on sharpening with this many dc!

I think overall some non-material things I learned were:

1. Chill out in K. Teach them to read and count with pleasure. No need for heavy academics in K....even for those of us who turn academically nazi later on...see my blog :) I am Tough in school! Still, use this year to nurture the love of learning...as much as I thought that would just come naturally, it didn't! If they start to cry, reevaluate daily.

2. Stick with something if it is working, but isn't fun and at the same time....

3. drop it if it isn't working after 4 months. Too much bouncing hurts, but sticking with something terrible changes attitude in a negative light. For example, Life of Fred....I'm all about rigor, so I thought fun and rigor could not exist. I was wrong. LoF made my son a new student!

4. If you follow WTM you avoid computers early on...they work great for drilling....digital flash cards are pretty much the same as paper ones.

5. Learn your trade. If we were in the work force, we'd keep up on what is happening in our respective fields...keep educating yourself in your field. Read ahead to the next level of WTM so you know where you're going b4 you get there and freak out...

6. Use mentors...online or IRL.

7. Figure out what style your child learns best using. Makes all the difference in the world. Be aware the appearance of their strengths will change over time. Don't be afraid to individualize their lessons...particularly in Logic and beyond. We could all use the same materials easily in elementary school (although math was a different story), but in jr high....they share much fewer materials.

8. Print out good threads and file them away!

9. Get organized...you'll appreciate it a lot when the lovely 2-3 days turn into 7+ hours of school....trust me.

Edited by johnandtinagilbert

My kids love:

• Sonlight (completed 1 core with Perfect Paula and Wiggly Willy)
  • Apologia's Zoology (in our second textbook)
  • some selections from Veritas Press (like the Brother's Grimm and Children's Homer)
  • Singapore Math (Eb, 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b)
  • Horizons Math (1st grade)
  • CHOW

I love:

• CLE LA and CLE Reading (completed 1st and 2nd grade)-it can be a little drab for my kids, though. It's good for them. :D
  • CLE Learn to Read - pretty cool

Okay.I'll bite too! LOL.

My favorites:

Christian Light - I love, love, love their curriculum. Its a solid Christian program that is so close to perfect for our family.

IEW- I like IEW. I think it would work. My children just resist writing. Grrrrr

Apologia Elementary Science- Love the conversational style, notebooking

Sonlight- I love literature. The only thing I couldn't get past is their IG

K12- I do like K12. I don't like using through a cyberschool. It totally ruins the homeschooling experience

TouchMath- This has been a godsend for my 6yr old. I don't think I would of been able to teach her math this year without it. She needed the visual methods of the program to get it.

Saxon math- I do like it. Especially for my two younger daughters. I used it with my 2nd daughter when she was in prek,k and 1st grade. I deviated from that and never wished I did. I do like both the elementary and upper levels as well.

In all actuality there really hasn't been a curriculum that I haven't really not liked. It was just a matter of what worked for my daughters at the time and what didn't.

For us:

*WWE (I finally gave in and decided to use it only as it was written rather than trying to make it different and really am liking it)

*Miquon

*Song School Latin (and looking forward to starting LfC A in a couple months)

*MCT Island level (we just started this - my middle son asks to do it every day!)

We love, love, love:

CLE Math & Language Arts & Reading - the reading my kids don't love, but I think it's great.

Biblioplan & MOH

Meaningful Composition - EXCELLENT!!

God's Design Science

Pathway Readers

So far, so good for BJU Science - 7th Life for my son.

And so far, so good Videotext - just started this mid year.

We like, like, like:

SOTW

Life of Fred

Key To Book's

We also loved our 5 year journey with Weaver when the boys were younger. It was a great way to Weave God's Word into all our academics. But, then I discovered WTM and am trying to implement more that it. And, definitely want the 4 year History cycle.

We love OPGTR, it's worked well for us.

Horizons Math for the younger ones (up to 4th grade then we switch to Saxon which we love for that age).

Out of all the curricula we have used since we began 7 years ago Horizons math is the only one who have used all 7 years.

Reason for Handwriting. (My kids really love working in those on their free time).

What DD Loves/d:

Miquon

Life of Fred

Lively Latin

MCT

Logic Countdown series

Mind Benders

any of Ellen McHenry's stuff that we've tried (so far, The Elements & The Brain; dd loves her writing style, etc.)

What DS Loves (so far):

Spelling Workout

RightStart A

I have been very pleased by A Beka's phonics program. I think it's very thorough and my kids enjoy the stories in the readers. I've always thought one of A Beka's strong points was it's visual presentation, too. We also love SOTW1. That's been a great fit for the kids, especially for my 6 year old DS who hates school. He loves history, though.

I have loved and used for years:

Singapore Math

Spell to Write and Read (I've played with it and adapted it and made it work for us)

What I have just started using and am loving:

Oak Meadow as our core

Hands of a Child lapbooks (a cut above the rest)

Rod and Staff for Math

:001_smile:

We're only in our second year, but these are the things we enjoy:

WWE

MUS

MOH and SOTW both

Elemental Science

AAS

the LIBRARY!!!!

GWG (for up to 4th grade I just found out)

Phonics Pathways (I taught 3 kids to read with this)

HWT (made cursive very easy for my "cursive phobic" ds... also makes printing easy for my "writing phobic" other ds)

Sonlight: used all from Core K-Core 5

Rod & Staff: Math & English Grade 1-6 (couldn't be easier to implement for both of us)

Rod & Staff: Readers Gr. 1-3 (this was a good supplement to the Sonlight readers at this age)

BJU Science: Grd 3-5

Dandilion Logic Press materials for 1-6th grade - "Lollipop Logic" is the first one.

LFC A & B (going to start C this next year)

We love IEW! We started this program with SIW Level A my son's 4th grade year. He is flying free this year w/a high school level checklist! I am so excited for him!

I am also in love with History Odyssey, Early Modern, Level 2. It is just the right mix of history reading, note taking, outlining, summarizing, paper writing and fun for my son! He has really blossomed this year with this method. It's as close to TWTM that I could find w/out having to do all the work myself.

Horizons Math - loved it and miss it dearly! The speed at which they introduce new concepts kept ds from getting bored and the spiral provided just enough review to keep the concepts fresh. We are really missing it this year!

Things I love in no particular order:

Spelling Power

BJU Science 1-5 (not so thrilled with 6 on up)

Queen's Language Lessons

Around the World in 180 Days

Saxon Math

DITHOR

I love BF History but dd does not :)

Apologia high school

Younger dd loves Apologia elementary but I'm not so thrilled

Poetry and Prose Toolbox

Visualize World Geography

Cursive First

I absolutely love Tapestry of Grace.

Some of our other favorites:

100 Easy Lessons (Teach your Child to Read)

Apologia

Getty & Dubay Italic and Character Italic

Word Roots

AVKO Sequential Spelling

Analytical Grammar (& Jr. Analytical Grammar)

My most recent "wow" is Meaningful Composition--we mostly use TOG's Writing Aids, but this fills in nicely.

Hands down w/out a shadow of a doubt is MCT. We're doing Island level.

I have been reading my friend's K12 Human Odyssey Vol 1 and I LOVE it. I hope I snagged one and it will be here soon.

We've used RS math from level A-E and level A-C w/ 2nd son and I still love it. We'll be switching to SM after level E (SM 5-6 and CWP3-6) before heading into algebra.

I have to add SOTW to the list. I won't say we LOVE WWE, it's a great program and gets the job done beautifully...perhaps Like is a better word.

Edited by Capt_Uhura

We've been homeschooling from day 1, and my oldest are now in 6th. The keepers (in no particular order):

Reading Reflex

Singapore Math (Earlybird-6b!)

Getty-Dubay Italic

Sequential Spelling

WWE

MCT LA - the whole shebang

K12 Human Odyssey

CPO Life Science (we've only done Life Science so far)

RS4K Pre-Level 1 Chemistry. (The rest of her stuff doesn't do much for me, but this book was great.)

Science Detective

Math Detective (okay, *I* love the Detective books - the kids kinda wish they'd go away)

Editor in Chief

Grid Perplexors

Mr. Q Life Science

Spanish the Easy Way

Ds9 loves:

IEW-just started it this year, but loving it so far. He cracks up at Mr. Pudewa!

MCT-also just started it this year, but it fits my ds9 so well. We are particularly loving the Music of the Hemispheres.

Phonetic Zoo-great program.

Ds7 loves:

AAS

Headsprout

FLL-never in a million years would have thought this!

Both love:

NOEO Chemistry I

Liberty's Kids DVD's

History books by Fritz

We're still finding our groove in some areas, but so far....

We LOVE "I Can Do All Things" for art

We LOVE Spelling Power- I just think it makes so much sense!

We are close to LOVE with MFW- finishing up Adventures and I've ordered ECC for next year.

Our newest "like" is Presidential Penmanship.

Here's what has worked well for my dc:

WRTR ---My favorite for teaching writing, reading, and spelling.

Horizons & Singapore --- used together has worked beautifully for us...

Step by Step Grammar --- not well known, but what a great grammar program for teaching parts of speech and diagramming...

Building Thinking Skills --- Both kids enjoy this.

Maps, Charts, and Graphs --- This has been good for geography skills + both kids enjoy it!

SOTW Audio CD's --The whole family loves to listen!

Jennifer:001_smile:

We've made a lot of adjustments over the last couple of months in our approach to HS-ing, and I can safely say that I LOVE everything we're using now. Particularly, I love

Singapore Math

MEP-unique approach, incredibly interesting, challenging and has help my child think out of the box regarding math..math has never been 'just about numbers' in our house, but with MEP, I can actually see my son getting excited. Since switching from k12 to a combo of MEP and Singapore, my son has come to adore numbers.

Family Math

SOTW (my children can't get enough of it)

WWE (my eldest was always a fine writer, but with WWE he is learning how to summarize, how to retain dictations in his head, how to follow a plot more closely, how to pick out important parts of a story, and how to write concisely and clearly--wonderful)

BFSU!!!!

After 17 years of homeschooling I am down to my last one at home. Here are my favorites for this year-6th grade.

Language Arts-MCT

Love is not a strong enough word. I always dreamed of teaching subjects this way. It is so rewarding for me as a teacher. My son gets it and loves it.

History-Winter Promise American Cultures 1850-2001

We've both learned so much this year. Love all of the books, the web-sites, the movie suggestions, and great activities.

Spelling-Apples and Pears

Finally my son is spelling on grade level. After trying 4 different curriculum with him I found one that works with his brain.

The word "love" is a little strong to use, but here is what works(ed) for us:

Singapore Math primary levels

IEW SWI and history-based writing program

MCT--this is the only thing both ds and I get excited about in 5 years of homeschooling

Sonlight books--history, readers, and read-alouds

I will bite:

We really enjoy:

MFW Adventures

Writing Tales (ok, *I* like this, lol)

The Complete Book of Math (lol)

Mad Libs

Singapore Math (for my 3rd grader)

All the awesome books that MFW picks for us to read

We're looking forward to ECC next year. I'm really excited because there are TONS of cool supplements for Geography to use.

Things we've finished or are working through and love...

Math:

MEP

The Cryptoclub

Life of Fred

Singapore Primary Maths

Latin:

Cambridge Latin

Language Arts:

MCT

Megawords

Science:

Singapore MPH