Menu

Words you'd love to see revived?

• darlin'
  • nursery school
  • resistance (instead of "push-back")
  • creme rinse (just sounds nice)
  • rouge
  • Jeet? (means "Did you eat [yet]"?)
  • Freedom fries (silly origin but sounds quirky)
  • ersatz
  • drop a dime
  • singer-songwriter (everyone is a recording artist now)
  • high-test

My grandmother said Jeet all the time!

And, I wish people spoke as poetically as they did during the Victorian times. I want to exclaim that I'm vexed without people looking at me oddly.

"Please refrain from the intimacy of whispering."

Sorry, I couldn't resist. From "Emma" - Jane Austen

I regularly use these in spite of what anyone thinks:

Fortuitous

Hither and Yon (A psnl. favorite)

Indeed

bellicose

Edited by Liz CA

holler

cool and dude (mostly because I still use them and the younger generation thinks it's not "sweet") :lol:

I miss rouge too

crapulence (just an all around cool word)

autological

debonair

sneakers! I called them sneakers at the mall a while ago and the hip young cashier snickered and rolled her eyes. She says they're called tennis shoes or running shoes now. And she informed me that they're yoga pants, not sweat or track pants. Oh. :001_huh:

OH MY! I just thought of something I hope NEVER comes back! My grandmother calls erasers "rubbers" :tongue_smilie: "Get your rubber and rub that out." :lol:

I like thee, makest, etc. Actually, I like almost all the old words I have read. (Yes, I enjoy the KJV! I read other versions for study, the KJV for enjoyment and lyrical language.)

Also, I can't even remember if they are real words or not, but I think English should have a word for the day after tomorrow and the day before yesterday and I like the Anglish aftermorrow and fore-yester. (I developed some nonsense sentences for my students and threw in some real words that were archaic, but also made some compound words from these root words as well as just plain nonsense words.)

Edited by ElizabethB

When I read too many older novels I sometimes say "queer" and then I am afraid of being crass.

I object to a perfectly good word being hijacked by vulgar individuals (I don't mean gay people as "vulgar" but people who use the word to mean "stupid" or such) If I want to refer to something strange as "queer" I would like to be able to do that without being rude.

:(

When I was in grade school our teacher was educating us on the difference between shall/will. "Shall is the stronger version of will. To say shall is to make a promise of the utmost importances, such as the South shall rise again." :lol::lol::lol::lol: I love my southern roots but sometimes...

When I was in grade school our teacher was educating us on the difference between shall/will. "Shall is the stronger version of will. To say shall is to make a promise of the utmost importances, such as the South shall rise again." :lol::lol::lol::lol: I love my southern roots but sometimes...

South Postpones Rising Again For Yet Another Year (from The Onion)

One of my twins talks like all the Victorian novels she reads. :lol: She does turns heads, but we think it sounds lovely. Some of her most often use words are:

indeed

shall/shan't

queer

naturally

curious

There are many others, but I can't think of them because they flow from her mouth so naturally.

That must be a regional thing?! I have never heard anyone around here call them tennis shoes. Aren't tennis shoes for tennis? Why would athletic shoes (which many call sneakers) all be called tennis shoes?

When I was young, some people referred to "tenny-runners".

"Athletic shoes" are naught but a way for manufacturers to rake in the money by duping the public into believing that a different shoe is required for every different sport or activity.

My grandmother said Jeet all the time!

And, I wish people spoke as poetically as they did during the Victorian times. I want to exclaim that I'm vexed without people looking at me oddly.

You have to be careful with "Victorian Speak." My oldest dd loved Victorian Lit. and one day a neighbor was over. He happened to break one of our closet doors by accident. When I asked my dd what happened....she said...

Mr. D came in waving his arms and ejaculating all over the kitchen and broke the door!

Wow!!!

We about died!!!! :lol: :lol:

Oh, the use of "darlin" is alive and well here in Okie land. In fact, a caller from the State Medical Society called last night and, since dh was not home, he asked if he could leave a message. After asking me to inform him when I had paper and pencil ready:glare: he proceeded with the message and signed off with, "Be sure to give him the message, darlin". UGH!

And lest you think he thought I was a child, he did ask if I was indeed Mrs. B - and I informed him that I was.

Oh yeah, I need to add:

bimbo

I say cream rinse, is that an old-fashioned term?

Well, I'm not sure the last time I saw creme rinse for sale. It is all "conditioner" everywhere I look. Is Tame Creme Rinse still around?

I say "darlin'"

Is that "out?"

I haven't been called darlin' in years.

Former Firsts, a one-act play by mirth

Hillary: Jeet yet darlin'?

Chelsea: Prithee Mother, nay. Further, I henceforth beseech thee to abstain from preparing Freedom fries for Father. My little horse thinks it queer.

Bill: Freedom fries?? Is bellicose France at its crapulent best again? (turns to answer a ringing telephone) It's for you, honey.

Hillary: That's Madam Secretary to you, cad! As God is my witness, I shall never be "honey" again!

Bill: Indeed! (mocking) Are you postponing the 145th Rising of the South again this year? (muttering) You know, Madeleine had more chutzpah ... and she used less rouge , ...

Chelsea: (interrupting) Verily, I say unto you, I have a date with debonair John Edwards tonight.

Bill and Hillary: Verily???!! (Hillary swoons)

Chelsea: Yes, cad that he is, Johnny is far less curmudgeonly than you two! Besides I crave having regular and ecstatic social intercourse with him. (spoken with raised eyebrow)

I suppose I betray my non-Southern sensibilities when I post that I wince, writhe, and flee when I hear terms of address such as "darling", "honey", "dear" or similar. These are regional uses which I simply can't abide. Once, a (male, of course) supervisor attempted to recall me to his office by addressing me as "honey". I walked straight back to my own office, because had I returned to his, I might have slugged him. This is the first time I ever have aired my discomfort with these words; however, it's been nearly 55 years a-coming !

Former Firsts, a one-act play by mirth

Hillary: Jeet yet darlin'?

Chelsea: Prithee Mother, nay. Further, I henceforth beseech thee to abstain from preparing Freedom fries for Father. My little horse thinks it queer.

Bill: Freedom fries?? Is bellicose France at its crapulent best again? (turns to answer a ringing telephone) It's for you, honey.

Hillary: That's Madam Secretary to you, cad! As God is my witness, I shall never be "honey" again!

Bill: Indeed! (mocking) Are you postponing the 145th Rising of the South again this year? (muttering) You know, Madeleine had more chutzpah ... and she used less rouge , ...

Chelsea: (interrupting) Verily, I say unto you, I have a date with debonair John Edwards tonight.

Bill and Hillary: Verily???!! (Hillary swoons)

Chelsea: Yes, cad that he is, Johnny is far less curmudgeonly than you two! Besides I crave having regular and ecstatic social intercourse with him. (spoken with raised eyebrow)

Oh my word! That is spectacular! :lol: If we could close with Bill crying "Rummy!" it might just be my favourite bit of reading so far this year. :lol:

Mr. D came in waving his arms and ejaculating all over the kitchen and broke the door!

:

:lol::lol::lol:

I thought for sure your dd was going to mention the noun for social interaction and communication that now means something quite different: intercourse! For a proper, inhibited society there sure is a lot of that going on.

And it leads to all kinds of consequences....I just finished Mansfield Park, and people were getting "knocked up" right and left. It only meant that after doing something strenuous they'd be "tired out". That one cracked me up.

Loquacious. I'm not even sure I spelled it correctly, but I like it. ;) I much prefer it to "talkative".

Speaking of which, I also miss correctly and/or properly, as opposed to "right". Eg, "You didn't answer this question correctly."

Meek and Genteel. If those words are used at all now, it's as an insult. And even then one would be more likely to use "soft-spoken", since apparently anything else is too complicated for our vocabularies.

Our poor language is being horribly dumbed down. (Now, someone please help me find a better expression for "dumbed down.)

When I read too many older novels I sometimes say "queer" and then I am afraid of being crass.

I object to a perfectly good word being hijacked by vulgar individuals (I don't mean gay people as "vulgar" but people who use the word to mean "stupid" or such) If I want to refer to something strange as "queer" I would like to be able to do that without being rude.

:(

Actually "vulgar" is a funny one. My friends younger sons was trying to use it with the older meaning of "common". He said something about families using their furniture in the day as couches and such, and then at night scooting is towards the walls to use for "vulgar" uses. (He meant common, or...."sleeping" for real...) Problem was that he used it in co-op class with parents around... I hear all the moms tried not to last.

(Disclaimer... this story was told to me a while ago.. it's close... and the word... Vulgar.... is interesting:-)

Ok, for words that I wish would come back... I wish that when My children heard "gay" that it wouldn't be associated with a person's sexuality.... and would rather be innocent happiness. I can hardly make it through the poems.... and they were here before the word meant.... anything but happy. Wish....

I also like "Shall" but can't seem to use it.

Oh my word! That is spectacular! :lol: If we could close with Bill crying "Rummy!" it might just be my favourite bit of reading so far this year. :lol:

Thanks :). OK, I now grant everyone a free license to add to or use Former Firsts. It is henceforth declared open-source script for revivalist drama.

Rummy, away!

Edited by mirth

You have to be careful with "Victorian Speak." My oldest dd loved Victorian Lit. and one day a neighbor was over. He happened to break one of our closet doors by accident. When I asked my dd what happened....she said...

Wow!!!

We about died!!!! :lol: :lol:

OMGosh!:lol:

Duly noted: No ejaculating. ;)

pontificate, pusillanimous,propinquity, catterwhauling, quadraped,propensity,heel(You heel!) masher(You masher! slap) Clam up(instead of shut up), well about 90 percent of the words in the dictionary that people don't use because they have relaced them with"like" and othe swear words! Although I might forgive the word "like" if it was used like this. "I was like, you pusillanimous pugilist! I am not like, enjoying your propinquity. You heel! You masher! and then I like slapped him across his like, face."

"perhaps" and "indeed" ~ My younger dd says these all the time and I love hearing them. I wish they were used more often.

We are guilty of borrowing words and phrases from period movies so these come up often. I once said "indeed" in response to a friend's statement and she said she'd never heard anyone use that word before - she was dumbfounded. I've come to think of it as quite prosaic.

One of our favorite phrases comes from Persuasion: Well, I don't know! It might have been. Perhaps."

I use a handful of words listed here daily, I must sound odd to some people. :confused:

One word I use that makes my husband laugh is cad.

Lovely is popular around here too.

We borrowed, "Lovely children," (said with disdain) from Little Women. I use it when my own are acting unseemly and we all use it if we are out and about and see rather boorish children.

Ok, for words that I wish would come back... I wish that when My children heard "gay" that it wouldn't be associated with a person's sexuality.... and would rather be innocent happiness. I can hardly make it through the poems.... and they were here before the word meant.... anything but happy.

:iagree:

Also, I like the following:

"To be sure"

"By no means"

"You are mistaken"

"I am intimately acquainted with..." (fill in whatever suits the conversation such as back pain, jeans that don't fit, forgetfulness, etc.)

and from Gigi:

"Would you do me the honor, the favor, of bestowing upon me ..." (fill in the blank with whatever it is you are desiring at the time such as a tissue, a napkin, a cup of coffee, etc.)

We've gotten used to these words and phrases while we are at home and if we forget where we are and use this kind of language while we are out, we do get odd looks from people. I think the elegant expression of language in the past enabled folks to speak more plainly without sounding as offensive as we do now.

Loquacious. I'm not even sure I spelled it correctly, but I like it. ;) I much prefer it to "talkative".

I love loquacious, one of my favorite words. I also use all of the words mentioned so far, hence my hubby comments about my unneccessarily sophisticated vocabulary. I think Jeet may be an exception. I am from the south though so I do say it. Although I could see where using these two words in one sentence might sound incongruent. :001_smile:

The Brontes ejaculate all over the place.

:lol::lol::lol:

I thought for sure your dd was going to mention the noun for social interaction and communication that now means something quite different: intercourse! For a proper, inhibited society there sure is a lot of that going on.

And it leads to all kinds of consequences....I just finished Mansfield Park, and people were getting "knocked up" right and left. It only meant that after doing something strenuous they'd be "tired out". That one cracked me up.

I suppose I betray my non-Southern sensibilities when I post that I wince, writhe, and flee when I hear terms of address such as "darling", "honey", "dear" or similar. These are regional uses which I simply can't abide. Once, a (male, of course) supervisor attempted to recall me to his office by addressing me as "honey". I walked straight back to my own office, because had I returned to his, I might have slugged him. This is the first time I ever have aired my discomfort with these words; however, it's been nearly 55 years a-coming !

Unfortunately, these words are only are only acceptable when used by women usless they are used in an intimate context. I was raised in the south and I use Hon, Honey & Sweetie all the time. It is not put on for effect. It's just the way I talk which might also be strange given the fact that I am generally a cantankerous old lady.

You must not have passed through the deep South lately, "darlin'", as I don't think that word has experienced a decline, has it? Or maybe I'm just such an old fuddy-duddy that I'm the only one left around who still says it, LOL......

Likewise, there are plenty of people where I grew up, and in the eastern part of the state where I now live, who still say "j' eat".

There have been a couple of dictionaries published in the last few years that contain archaic words. I'm glad to see some attempt at preservation of old words because dictionaries today tend to leave out so many good words! I love reading through those!

I can't think of any words right now that I miss hearing. The last "lost" word I worked with was during a class last semester. It has to do with nautical terms. The top rail on a boat is commonly called a "gunwale", also spelled "gunnell", but this term is also used for boats that were in use prior to the creation of guns (to which the term refers). So why would a Viking call that part of his Knorr or Drakken a "gunnell"? It turns out there's an archaic word that's still used in rowing, "saxboard", that was probably actually the word in use at an earlier time period, before gunnell came into use.

I love looking at old words - and also old names given to people, which aren't really in use any longer! There are ancesters in my family with names like Reason, Merley, Gomin, Olin, LOL - what do such names mean? where did they come from? I love looking into such things!

I love your name, Mirth, and wish that word were in more common usage today.

Indubitably

My dd was producing a children's play and one of the very little girls ad-libed this word into her lines. My dd and I just looked and each other and said, "Did she just say indubitably???" We had to run that part of the video over and over again. :lol::lol:

I'll have to forward my ds a link to this thread. Here was his choice for word of the day (his rule is that only half of them should be real words):

pwnsometacular

My own favorite word of the day:

extracurricularific

(Which is exactly what this thread is)