Menu

Please share your dc's favorite gifts this year, especially for boys ages 9-11

I'm already needing ideas for next year. Gifts are not the focus at our house, but we do open gifts and it was just a disappointing year for me when I bought for my ds9. Again, it's not the focus, but I want to buy good, meaningful gifts for him. I keep a running list of ideas of what he mentions or seems interested in throughout the year, but this year there wasn't much he said or mentioned, so I was winging it and just couldn't be successful with much. He got the bike he wanted because that's really all he said he wanted, but he likes opening other gifts too. He didn't add many ideas to help me either. The other gifts I got didn't seem to be a hit even though he didn't act ungrateful, I could just tell. My dd6 is easy. Dolls, girly things, etc. But my son is another story. Oh, and he's not a gaming kid, so that knocks that idea out. He would probably play, but then it would sit and be a waste of money, so we forego it. I learned that a long time ago. I have to say I'm not disappointed for other reasons as well. Thanks! Hope everyone is having a blessed Christmas Day!

My 11 year old ds his hard to buy for. He isn't into video games or Legos like my 12 year old.

His favorite gift this year was a watch. Go figure!

I also got him a Sansa Clip mp3 player and he is really starting to like it as the day goes on and he is figuring out how to use it.

My 9 year old ds is loving an build-it-yourself remote control car his older brother got him, but cars are his thing.

My 12 year olds favorite gift was his own bowling ball and a Lego set.

My 11yods is happy with video games and Legos. He also really liked his AirHogs mini helicopter, his Do It Yourself Wimpy Kid Diary, and his Star Wars magazine. He also got and was very happy with his underwear, pajama bottoms, composition notebook with a cool cover, and Jesus t-shirt (always wanted one). Our own Christmas was scaled back this year, so we wrapped every little stocking stuffer: colored duct tape, scissors, metallic Sharpies, can of nuts, fancy dental floss things, silly string.

In general, he likes books--fantasy, animals, how to draw. Anything to do with drawing is a hit (even a ream of paper, scotch tape, mechanical pencils, new markers). He likes to build and create, circuit sets, any kind of kits (Klutz are fun and you can buy them 40% off at Michael's and AC Moore with a coupon).

Thinking of Christmases down the road, my dh and I are thinking air hockey table (joint gift for both kids), iPod, video animation kits.

He's the kind of kid who still finds joy in the empty wrapping paper tube, lol.

My boys are 13 and 16. Both are into music so that opens the doors for many gift ideas.

13yo got a collection of comics (Zits, but they were getting Garfield and Foxtrot before Zits and I always got a lot of milage over those), castanets, a Rubic's Cube, and a djembe drum.

16yo got a plaid flannel and fur hat, gloves with removable finger coverings, and a book he'd been wanting. Also, he got Beatles Rock Band and everyone was having a great time with that today. They took it along to Grandma and Grandpa's to help pass the time there today.

Some kids just aren't wowed over by gifts and that makes it tough when you want to make it really special for them.

Thinking of Christmases down the road, my dh and I are thinking air hockey table (joint gift for both kids), iPod, video animation kits.

I'm thinking one of those digital flip cameras for my 13yo for his March bday. He really likes taking video but could care less about photos so I thought he'd enjoy that.

After questioning the age appropriateness of Playmobil on here because my dh thought they were too old for Playmobil, I got them each a set and it has been the biggest hit of all their gifts. Even dh had a ball playing with them. My boys are 11.5 and 9.5yo. We will definitely be investing in more Playmobil. :thumb:

Other well liked toys this year, grow your own cactus garden and an Erector set. Card games, we got them Monopoly Deal, Scrabble Slam, Crazy Old Fish War and I Spy Snap.

They got a Wii and they are loving it. ;) But of the non video game toys, Playmobil was the biggest hit with the older boys. ;)

My kids keep playing with all of the toys that they got, but the one they keep coming back to is their camera. They each got a camera that also takes video. We are going to have lots of pictures of people taking pictures this Christmas. It is really fun to see what they choose to photograph.

Jan

My 11yods is happy with video games and Legos. He also really liked his AirHogs mini helicopter, his Do It Yourself Wimpy Kid Diary, and his Star Wars magazine. He also got and was very happy with his underwear, pajama bottoms, composition notebook with a cool cover, and Jesus t-shirt (always wanted one). Our own Christmas was scaled back this year, so we wrapped every little stocking stuffer: colored duct tape, scissors, metallic Sharpies, can of nuts, fancy dental floss things, silly string.

In general, he likes books--fantasy, animals, how to draw. Anything to do with drawing is a hit (even a ream of paper, scotch tape, mechanical pencils, new markers). He likes to build and create, circuit sets, any kind of kits (Klutz are fun and you can buy them 40% off at Michael's and AC Moore with a coupon).

He's the kind of kid who still finds joy in the empty wrapping paper tube, lol.

This sounds a lot like my ds. And, he still likes empty tubes, too! :)

After questioning the age appropriateness of Playmobil on here because my dh thought they were too old for Playmobil, I got them each a set and it has been the biggest hit of all their gifts. Even dh had a ball playing with them. My boys are 11.5 and 9.5yo. We will definitely be investing in more Playmobil. :thumb:

Playmobil is great! My oldest is almost 7 and is already planning to make a list of the sets he wants next year. This year he got the Roman arena and a castle.

Loves Star Wars, so a Naboo-themed Triops tank (remember Sea Monkeys?) was a hit. Also loves Indiana Jones and Legos, so one of the IJ Lego sets went over well... and an ant farm.

ETA: He also loved the Backyard Ballistics book his grandfather got him.

Edited by zaichiki

My son 10 yr wouldn't give us ideas of what to buy either but here's what he got if it helps.

watch (this was the #1 biggest hit - it's a miniature version of Daddys watch)

word search book

"how stuff works" book

nerf compound crossbow

bionicle building toy

Answers in Genesis "answers" book

two batman toys from sisters

Spy gadgetry and anything to help him with his artwork is always a hit for ds. He won't ever ask for things b/c he doesn't want us to spend money on him so I just have to look for clues all the time of what he plays with or talks about alot. When he gets bday money from grandparents, he'll list what he's going to buy everyone with it, then he'll say what he's going to get for himself when he's done. He never has enough money for what he wants (unless it's silly string lol) so that always gives me ideas too. It's not easy when they don't give you even a hint!!

Well, my son is 13, but he's not that mature. His favorite gifts this year were probably the golf putter he got from grandma and grandpa (he's a golf nut....why? I have no idea. He has only played miniature golf. We don't watch golf. He knows we won't give him lessons because of the cost. He's just quirky), and the Make-your-own-opoly game. He is also a board game nut.

Star Wars Lego Visual Dictionary was the BIGGEST hit in the house

GOOD for you for early planning! I tried ordering this online early in December, and every place was sold out and backordering. I finally ordered a library binding edition on amazon, but they emailed me the next day to tell me, sorry, contrary to what they'd originally promised, I wouldn't get it before Christmas. My local B&N was supposed to have them in stock when I checked online, but they later called me to tell me they were out too.

Ds was happy with a fancy Star Wars magazine though. I'll try to order the Visual Dictionary in time for Easter, lol. He was the first one to check out our library's new copy last month, so that was good. :)

GOOD for you for early planning! I tried ordering this online early in December, and every place was sold out and backordering. I finally ordered a library binding edition on amazon, but they emailed me the next day to tell me, sorry, contrary to what they'd originally promised, I wouldn't get it before Christmas. My local B&N was supposed to have them in stock when I checked online, but they later called me to tell me they were out too.

Ds was happy with a fancy Star Wars magazine though. I'll try to order the Visual Dictionary in time for Easter, lol. He was the first one to check out our library's new copy last month, so that was good. :)

I was fortunate that my sister made me buy it -- assuring me it would be a sell-out. She was right! DS11 is STILL reading it and I know it was more than worth the 12.00 I paid for it at our local public school Scholastic sale!

Legos, but not brick laying stuff anymore, too babyish. Legos' technobricks!! That is the stuff that makes robots. They are smaller and much more high tech. My son got this remote controlled helicopter. It is small, but cool the way it propels. We got that at Radio Shack.

Merry Christmas,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Oddly enough some of my 9 year old son's favorite gifts this year were slippers, a big cozy bathrobe, and pajamas!

As far as toys go he really liked the "Magic Penny Magnet Kit" that my parents got for him . . . and of course the Whoopee Cushion that Santa put in his stocking :tongue_smilie:

I have a 10yob. His biggest hit was Lego Mindstorms NXT. It is the robotics kit. He has wanted this for a very long time, but we hadn't thought he could tackle it until now.

The other fave is our family gift which was Connect 4x4. We all love it, but ds is especially thrilled with it.

I wanted to get this too, but Nathan loves this one I got:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0756627044/ref=oss_T15_product

and, we have all of the older books in this series. I try not to get anything with the newer movies b/c of the way the women are portrayed in the books:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345420683/ref=oss_T15_product

I bought most of our used. They are an absolute favorite!

Biggest hits this year for DS11:

4' tall Eiffel Tower Lego set (bought for 60% off last year and kept in a closet till today!)

Roman Warship model kit

RISK (the newer, fast-action one)

Elements, a beautiful coffee table book by Theodore Gray (the guy who did the photographic periodic table)

DVD set of all the "Q" episodes of Star Trek Next Generation

DVD set of the complete films of Ray Harryhausen (Jason & the Argonauts, Sinbad, etc)

Cool paper airplane book: http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Paper-Airplane-Book-Blackburn/dp/076110478X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261806798&sr=8-2

Biggest hits from the last couple of years:

Heroscape sets and accessories

Mindstorms NXT

Settlers of Catan

Giant outdoor chess set

A *huge* bin of mixed Bionicle parts I bought off ebay last year dirt cheap (it was like 16 pounds of parts for $20 or something!)

Megarig underwater explorer set

Harry Potter & Aqua Raiders Lego sets

CLUE board game

Ancient civilizations version of RISK

Age of Mythology and Civilization computer games

Jackie

Hot Wheels cars and tracks were a hit with my ds10 this year. Also, our basement in America is filled with Lego sets and Lego models, which ds10, ds7, and ds4 love, love, love. We also got them Nerf guns this year, which have been great fun. Ds10 also loves comic books, like Archie, Calvin and Hobbes, and Garfield.

ds9 this year:

Crusaders chess set

Black & Decker Workmate

digital metronome-tuner

Xmas PJs (every year)

stuffed animals (every year)

past years:

electronic piano

Snap Circuits

analog weather station equipment

rock collection & rock pick

binoculars

Sky Scout (family gift)

camera

looms (he has several)

tool box with tools

wood artist box/easel

Keva blocks

lots of strategy board games

stopwatch

ideas for the future:

Flip camera

iPod Nano

telescope (as a family gift)

Ds10 loved his Nintendo dsi, Dangerous Book for Boys and Swiss Army Knife, Flip video camera and Irasshai Japanese dvds.

Our entire family is LOVING the Razor Powerwing (?) Scooter.

He is also enjoying Snap Circuits.

He didn't get any nerf guns, because he has enough. But, he would have loved more!

This ds didn't ask for one thing; he told me to surprise him! I did and he says he's going to do the same thing next year. He says he loved every single thing and I was the best Mom in the world. He said just the fact that I tried so hard to make him happy would have been enough! :lol:

Edited by lisabees

Buzz Lightyear. My ds got one when he was 3 and played with it until it literally fell apart. We saw one at Sams this fall and he really, really wanted it. I thought he would be too old for it, but as soon as he opened it, that was IT. It was a bigger hit than the turbo lego set. He even put it next to his bed last night. Definitely Buzz.

A friend also sent my boys an X box. They were excited about it. And the Star Wars lego space station did capture his attention later on. Also, Christiana (think that's the name)book. The sequel to Pilgrim's Progress. He LOVES that book.

MTH Trains have been a big hit for my ds the last couple of years--we add to his collection each Christmas. These are high-quality model trains with accurate details of the railroad lines they represent. MTH features VERY realistic train sounds, easy snap-together tracks that won't rust, and a powerful transformer. Model railroading is a hobby that many continue into adulthood---plus it's very educational; it can help spark an interest in America's railroad history, engineering, physics, etc. AND, an added bonus for us---ds spends a lttle less time playing video games, which, unfortunately, is his favorite "hobby." :glare:

My 11yo ds loves:

Settlers of Catan--he got the Seafarers extension and was thrilled. He loves this game above all others. (I must admit, I love it, too, and I am NOT a board game enthusiast)

Legos Architecture series--he got the F.L. Wright "Falling Water" and was really excited about that.

Mp3 player--especially used by him for audiobooks and "Adventures in Odyssey"

2 Adventures in Odyssey CD sets

and all three books in "The Mysterious Benedict Society" series, which he had really wanted.

My son is not a gamer, either, but he adores board games, so pretty much any such would be a big hit.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Ds 10yo got: a ball cap of his favorite football team, fuzzy cammo pj pants, fuzzy cammo slippers, 2 starwars figures, 2 bionicles, football cards, a book light, underwear, and a visa gift card. This was from us and various relatives, he was happy with everything.

Ds said his top 3 are, in this order: super-high thread count sheets, camera, Wii Resort (from grandma).

He had been asking for sheets as soft and comfortable as mine, so I got him some - who knew it'd be is favorite?! And an apron from CafePress with the MythBuster's "My toast always falls butter side up" written on it came in 4th place. :lol:

I bought a couple of the Apples to Apples board games this year for the pre and teen crowd and that seemed to make them smile. Gesstures, and Connect 4 3-D was also popular. I am getting the feeling board games are making a come back for this age group.

Music: itunes cards are popular for some kids, and if you have the money, iPods. My sons are musicians-- percussionists: piano, drums, mallet instruments, and my teen dd plays acoustic guitar, so they always enjoy itunes cards and their iPods.

Lessons: My 16 yr old ds stopped taking formal piano lessons a couple of years ago in favor of more percussion lessons (drums & marimba), but still goes to the piano daily and so was thrilled when I told him that one of his fav local musicians would give him a few piano lessons this winter.

My dd, 10, was all about silly putty, twix bars, mad libs, a pocket knife, and Egyptian playmobil.

I'm sorry the gifts didn't go over well. I know what you mean about the gifts not being the focus but it is still sad to have your kids disappointed! I always worry about that with our ds11. He is always so excited. I wasn't planning on getting them any Legos since grandma was giving them some money for a trip to the Lego store later on. But I overheard him talking to his brother about how they were sure they were getting these certain Lego sets with the coolest guys. I ran aroudn to a few stores and managed to find a couple of small sets so they had some new guys to play with. This year my ds11 got a Green Machine. I was worried it was going to be too little for him but he loves it. He's wanted one for a long time. He also got some new shoes for tae kwon do.