Menu

Do you ever feel like your kids are missing out?

A lot of my friends have put their kids in school this year. The reasons are all different, but all their kids are thriving, and doing all these "great" things and I just feel like I'm holding my kids back or something! We are not in a Co-op this year because there weren't any that fit our needs. My girls are in Sunday School, Scouts, Ballet, Piano and Basketball. It's not like we're cooped up in the house doing nothing. Maybe it's the Winter blues. :nopity: The funny thing is, this is the best year yet! All our Curriculum has clicked, we have a schoolroom, we are organized and we are actually getting things accomplished! What is my deal?

Thanks for listening!

Dorinda

Ya know, I get that same feeling every year in July when the back to school stuff is out at the the stores. The new backpacks and lunchboxes and folders and erasers and blah blah blah. That time of year was always so exciting for me when I was younger. So we decided to go "not-back-to-school" shopping. We buy lots of new pencils and such, but we don't have to worry about buying a Hannah Montana backpack or HSM lunchbox, and that is nice!!

Hang in there! We all have our moments!!

You know, I looked at your curriculum list and I know that at least here even the thriving kids would not be studying what your kids are doing at those grade levels. Or to re-phrase it - they would be studying those subjects but not at the depth that I know that those particular publishers offer. When I start feeling that way I go to our school district website and look at exactly what my kids would be covering. And I feel lots better. Not superior. But better because I know that my kids are being challenged and they wouldn't be in the schools here. I don't know if that would be the case in your school district, of course.

Yes, because I think DS would have more manipulatives for math at school. I think he would get to do more science experiments. I think he would get to do better art, and have music theory class each week. I think he would have more structure.

No, because I think DS would hate going to school right now. I think despite my weaknesses he is still thriving academically. In fact he says he doesn't have the slightest desire to go to school. So. . Yes, and No. If that makes *any* sense. :001_smile:

Raising kids is just plain hard! Whether a homeschooler or not. You just don't see the results of it for years when you homeschool. It's almost like the preschool years going on and on and on. I think sending your kid to school shows some immediate results. I just don't think we homeschool for immediate results. It's for the long term. We are building character, building knowledge, and building family relationships. These do not have quick results. Try to focus on the long term and not the short term. I know it isn't easy!

Guest janainaz

I have those moments, but then I REALLY think about it. Nothing is what it's cracked up to be. I take the time to actually talk to ps kids - neighbor kids, nieces, my dh's adopted brothers and sisters (all still in elementary and hs) and I get the scoop on all of it. They all say how lucky my kids are to be homeschooled and that they wish they could be homeschooled too.

Yes, mine is missing out. And this is not a snarky, "she's missing out on being bullied, having her self-esteem tied to her fashion sense" etc. etc.

Most of life is a trade-off. We can't choose every path. As one of my dear friends says, It's like, you have to choose a sandwich. If you choose the peanut butter and jelly, you can't have the turkey and mayo. But you've got a great peanut butter and jelly!

Terms we can all relate to.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Yes, mine is missing out. And this is not a snarky, "she's missing out on being bullied, having her self-esteem tied to her fashion sense" etc. etc.

Most of life is a trade-off. We can't choose every path. As one of my dear friends says, It's like, you have to choose a sandwich. If you choose the peanut butter and jelly, you can't have the turkey and mayo. But you've got a great peanut butter and jelly!

Oh, this is just perfectly put!

You know, I looked at your curriculum list and I know that at least here even the thriving kids would not be studying what your kids are doing at those grade levels. Or to re-phrase it - they would be studying those subjects but not at the depth that I know that those particular publishers offer. When I start feeling that way I go to our school district website and look at exactly what my kids would be covering. And I feel lots better. Not superior. But better because I know that my kids are being challenged and they wouldn't be in the schools here. I don't know if that would be the case in your school district, of course.

:lol:

In NM they're not even close! I've looked at our district's site at the end of the year when I'm wondering if we've done enough and can take our summer break. After I check that out, we usually start the next day!

Yes, because I think DS would have more manipulatives for math at school. I think he would get to do more science experiments. I think he would get to do better art, and have music theory class each week. I think he would have more structure.

No, because I think DS would hate going to school right now. I think despite my weaknesses he is still thriving academically. In fact he says he doesn't have the slightest desire to go to school. So. . Yes, and No. If that makes *any* sense. :001_smile:

It does make sense.

Raising kids is just plain hard! Whether a homeschooler or not. You just don't see the results of it for years when you homeschool. It's almost like the preschool years going on and on and on. I think sending your kid to school shows some immediate results. I just don't think we homeschool for immediate results. It's for the long term. We are building character, building knowledge, and building family relationships. These do not have quick results. Try to focus on the long term and not the short term. I know it isn't easy!

:lol:

This all makes sense and makes me feel better! I feel like we're having the BEST PBJ year right now! But, because I don't have a crystal ball, I'm doubting our future. That's silly because even if my girls were in the BEST school in the country, it still wouldn't guarantee they would thrive. I think it's hard when the friends you thought would be homeschooling with you through the end, aren't anymore. It's like starting over. I also think it's hard when you feel like you're not connected to the homeschool community. This year has been especially hard and I don't know why. Maybe I should at least find a group for me after the first of the year.

Thanks guys! I feel better already.

Dorinda

Honestly, having homeschooled one to graduation (who was public-schooled through the third grade), I can honestly say that I know they are missing out on something, but they would be missing out on much more if they were in school. I am convinced, regardless of how rotten our days can be sometimes, that this is the best place in the world for them.

We're also reading books and doing things that the public school teachers haven't heard of. The one-on-one attention cannot be equaled in school either.

I just felt that way tonight. I went to a play with my dd and 2 of her public school friends. They were talking about band and chorus, the trips to Disneyworld, technology class, etc. I did have those thoughts because I went to a great public school and had very good experiences there. It had a wonderful college-prep track.

Yes, my children are missing out on some things like that. But is "that" worth it? My children aren't perfect, nor do I homeschool perfectly. There are days we do not get everything done I intended. There are days they do not like schoolwork. There are days I want to send them to school. But there are days that I just love they are home and I get to teach them. There are days that I love we can sleep in, then stay in our pajamas, curled up on the couch reading.

I pray that God will help me fill in what they are missing, and to fill it with Him, love, and fun.

Yes and no. I think there is definitely a trade-off either way. My kids aren't getting the social time they would get at school, but on the other hand they are learning so much more at home. They're both in several activities. I honestly think that if they were in school we would have to drastically scale back on their activities. They're missing out on that common, cultural experience that is school, but they are experiencing so many things (especially the focus on family) that they wouldn't get if they were in school. For us, the trade-off is worth it. I think they're gaining much more than they're losing.

A lot of my friends have put their kids in school this year. The reasons are all different, but all their kids are thriving, and doing all these "great" things and I just feel like I'm holding my kids back or something! We are not in a Co-op this year because there weren't any that fit our needs. My girls are in Sunday School, Scouts, Ballet, Piano and Basketball. It's not like we're cooped up in the house doing nothing. Maybe it's the Winter blues. :nopity: The funny thing is, this is the best year yet! All our Curriculum has clicked, we have a schoolroom, we are organized and we are actually getting things accomplished! What is my deal?

Thanks for listening!

Dorinda

oh yeah, BTDT and WON'T make that mistake again. ;) I didn't feel the grass was greener on the other side, I knew it was. So I put my boys in PS against their wishes, and have regretted my decision for the past two years. (they've been in PS 3.5 years) Honestly, I was so burnt out that I felt I had no choice, but there are choices for burnt out moms, and it doesn't have to be school outside the home.

The first year and a half I felt my kids lives were so much richer because of all the school had to offer, and that "green" grass quickly turned brown. I won't make that mistake with my daughters. If I can't handle schooling anymore, I won't do teacher intensive curriculum and if need be, I'll do online schooling. I may be doing online with my youngest in the future - that's a REAL possibity. PS won't be.

My friends who had kids in PS and raved about all their kids did made me feel guilty. I now realize how foolish that was. ;) Take this advice from someone who's lived on both sides of the fence.

Someone asked me that question a few weeks ago. She asked specifically about high school, though, and mentioned various activities. "What about debate? Marching band?"

The funny thing is that the high school I attended had neither of those.

My kids miss out on some opportunities. They also have opportunities that their public or private school peers don't have. No choice is going to offer everything in one, yk?

My kids miss out on some opportunities. They also have opportunities that their public or private school peers don't have. No choice is going to offer everything in one, yk?

I agree.

But thank you to whoever mentioned the stationery / supplies buying. I suddenly remembered how much I used to enjoy this, and have resolved to do it at least once a year with my kids :)

Also, bear in mind that people tend to tell you the positive stuff. People will be keen to share with you that their dc have settled in and are enjoying school, whereas most parents would be hesitant to mention that the dc are finding it a struggle or that they are having doubts about the wisdom of enrolling them.

I just think of it as opportunity costs. You can't have everything, so you have to give up something.

I wish that my kids could have even more enrichment classes, but I'm just one person, and I'm at my limit with everyone's schedules as it is.

On the other hand, my teenagers are so stable, and interested in learning and willing to work and just plain happy.

I'm Facebook friends with the girls my oldest went to preschool with because I was their teacher. I see them get ready for football games and field trips. I also see the pictures of drinking, and cheating and sleeping with boys who have excessive tattoos. that isn't something I would rather have for my children.

I have other friends who planned their lives so that Dad could retire when the oldest child started Highschool. They are very involved parents, and I would say that their children are thriving, but to get to that place, both parents worked high stress jobs when the children were younger. I don't wish that I had left my babies with a nanny.

Even though their daughter is a smart, beautiful, high achieving, NICE kid, she worries that she isn't pretty enough, and that boys won't like her, and she is starting to have some anxiety issues about performance. I love her, but I don't wish my girls were going through that.

If we HAVE to make some comparisons, I think it is important to look at not only what others have, but what it costs them.

We are getting settled in a new neighborhood and I've been having thoughts about the school choices on this side of town. I've talked with many of our new neighbors; it's getting me to think. I think it's good to re-evaluate our choices every so often and I've been doing a lot of that. It would be easier to explain to the in-laws if my kids went off on a bus every morning. It would be easier to make and wrap Christmas presents in secret if I had my days alone. It would be easier to meet new friends for lunch without my kids in tow. But we've also discovered that our new neighbors are too busy all week to even get outside before dark and spend their Saturdays at the school supporting fundraising events. They are free on Sundays; that's it.

I think it's always going to look better on the other side of the fence, especially if you haven't been there, but that is human nature. No reason to actually jump the fence :).

I keep thinking about this too. There is a beautiful new elementary school that my dc could walk to. I toured the school a couple of weeks ago, so a friend who might move here could see the school. WOW! That is all I could say. It looked so NICE. But...my next door neighbor dislikes the school so much she is pulling her kids out to HS after Christmas. The lady next to her is so thankful she is moving after Christmas and her dc won't have to go there anymore. Looks are decieving! I do wish I could send my dc for the extra activities like music, art, science labs and PE. But I won't trade the extras for whole language, Everyday Math and "herding" of children.

I have my teen in public high school. She lost her math teacher for a semester last year due to illness. This year, she lost her math and science teacher right before the first semester was over. They just quit. It took over a month to find new teachers. One month of substitute teachers for 2 classes! We put her in PS so she would have more opportunities to do musicals and quess what? They quit doing musicals the year she started!

PS looks so good from the outside, but what goes on is not how it looks.

This is so true!!!

It is definately a trade-off...but why'd you have to name my 2 favorite sandwiches?!?!

(Although, if I had to eat one food the rest of my life, I'd be peanut butter and strawberry jam :tongue_smilie:)

It really depends on where we are living. Here, I know we aren't missing anything they want to do. They have so much more opportunities in homeschooling it isn't any comparison. Not only that, they also have less arbirtary pressure. The one who is missing out is me. I am sacrificing a lot for their education and raising. But I only have 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 more years to go and think I can manage it.

I have those moments, but then I REALLY think about it. Nothing is what it's cracked up to be. I take the time to actually talk to ps kids - neighbor kids, nieces, my dh's adopted brothers and sisters (all still in elementary and hs) and I get the scoop on all of it. They all say how lucky my kids are to be homeschooled and that they wish they could be homeschooled too.

:iagree:

Gloria

http://homeschoolinginthecountry.blogspot.com

wife of 24 years to the most amazing man

mom to C. 18 and B. 16

As my son hit middle school age this year I thought about that. I've concluded that he is being raised differently and that's okay. He may be missing out on a few opportunities the school offers, but he has many things he miss by being in B&M school.

Let's just say the homeschooling benefits outweigh everything else. I know if he were in school he probably be busy doing more things. I see homeschooling not as the art of doing, but the art of becoming.

I had an interesting conversation recently with some moms of kids who are in school - some public, some private. Most did not know I homeschooled. They all commented that their dc were missing out on various things. One was really sad about it, her father in another state is starting with alzheimers but due to the school schedule, they cannot travel to see him. Another thought they were missing out on a relationship with their (dc's) father because they "never see him". Most agreed that school until 3 followed by various activities (dance, sports, music, etc) prevented them from having a family meal 5 days a week. All lamented their dc were growing up so fast and they didnt feel like they knew them at all.

I just recently had a 'reuniuon' of old friends from high school and it was lots of fun. High school had it's ups and downs, but I met my dh there. There really were some nice times, and none of the 'bad' times were truly bad. I learned a lot from the whole experience. And do not throw tomatoes, but some were social(ization) experiences that were postive and growthful. :glare::D On top of it, my 16 yr old ds is having a very good experience in a public high school. We are thinking dd (17) might want to try one semester, just to know what it is, to be able to make a clear decision for herself. She hasn't attended school since age 9 (and that was a very small private one). We are pretty sure we are going to look at private high schools when our youngest is 15.

Edited by LibraryLover

Yes, I sometimes feel this way. This is our first year homeschooling my son (and it was his idea) and my daughter still attends the school we pulled him out of. I miss the warm, close-knit family atmosphere of the school (there are 300 kids from pre-k through grade eight) that he experienced. I miss certain other aspects like working the book fair in the gym. But, my son is learning a great life lesson: everything in life is a trade-off. He knows he can go back to school if he wants to. He also knows that his class is currently working on double digit addition and subtraction, and he has already finished triple digit addition and subtraction with regrouping. We are on to times tables. We keep him aware of where the class is academically and he always says he likes to work at his own pace. Everyone's priorities are different, and working at his own pace is his top priority.

He also doesn't miss the first grade teacher. This year she had all the children who attend Mass weekly raise their hands. She told the children who did not have their hands raised they did not deserve to attend Catholic school. That's showing the ol' Christ-like attitude.

He knows that even a nice teacher this year would not make up for having to work at everyone else's pace. Life's decisions are typically not cut and dried. Great life lesson.

I so needed to read these posts!!! I feel like I sit on the fence concerning this and hop daily. So glad to hear other moms' points of view and realize that I am normal in what I feel. I guess it basically boils down to the fact that I want my kids to be happy but I also want whats best for them...sometimes the two ideas coincide and sometimes not.

I just don't want to have regrets and I want my kids to be thankful for our choice to homeschool. I know we miss out on some but we too have gained in areas that ps kids don't. hear that alot! This thread is encouraging for me to read.

I homeschooled for 8 years and put my three in school at the beginning of last year. It has been a good experience but we would have been happy had we continued homeschooling, too. I DIDN'T like the co-op/tutorial thing, but that's another issue.

I don't think your kids are necessarily missing out on anything you will be sorry about later. There are things that they get in school that are different from what you can provide at home, but that's just it, they are different things, not necessary things. When I look back on my feelings about the things my kids might miss out on because they were at home, I realize that it was unnecessary and impossible to recreate these opportunities for them. What we had at home was not going to be recreated at school, either.

My kids are enjoying school and there are many activities that they would not have been able to take part in otherwise. When we homeschooled they were on year round swim teams, played community league soccer and basketball, and took dance lessons and gymnastics. At school they are wrestling, playing football, running high school cross country, but are still doing community league basketball, etc. They don't read as much at school, the foreign language opportunities are oh, so outrageously bad, and I thank God they had me as a history teacher for so many years because I don't think the school does as good a job of that as I did. (THANK YOU Story of the World)

I have rambled but I feel strongly about it. Yes, they are missing out on good and bad things. Yes, if they went to school, they would be missing out on the good and bad things you could do for them from home. I think that either way you just have to provide the best opportunities for them that you possibly can and be confident. OH, and love, love, love them because they are home with you. :D

but, because we live here and opportunitites are few and far between.

:svengo: And then there are those of us (me) who would love for my kids to have some of the opportunities that your kids have had.:D

I guess the grass always seems greener elsewhere.

I didn't participate in most of the things my public schooling offered - we couldn't afford it, basically, $, transport, and time-wise. The only things I really wish I'd had in my schooling are better training in learning. THAT I *can* do well here at home, and I am glad. I sometimes wish I could provide "activities" for my kids, but I really don't want to get into the hectic schedule thing. We go to the pool once a week, the library, visit friends, and that's about it. But my kids are pretty relaxed because they have *time.* Besides, I feel that a lot of "opportunities" can be done as adults, too. I took my first dance classes as an adult, and I loved it. I'll never be a ballerina, but so won't most of those kids in ballet right now, either.

:svengo: And then there are those of us (me) who would love for my kids to have some of the opportunities that your kids have had.:D

I guess the grass always seems greener elsewhere.

No matter what one chooses, opportunities will be missed. That's just the nature of choice. I think you have to make peace with the fact that there is never going to be the perfect path. I'm happy with our path so far, and I love Paula's take on homeschooling... It's the art of becoming vs. doing.

Yup, that about says it.

Both of my kids are adamantly against going to school. They have no desire to spend 6 1/2 hours at school, have homework, miss out on day-time outings, or have less free time. They like having an 18 hour school week rather than a 32 hour school week. They like having no homework, and hate that their ps friends don't have time to play after school because of homework. They know that we go on more "field trips" than ps kids do...even if those field trips are as simple as going to a park to observe beavers, walking a trail to see salmon running and a waterfall, or hitting the science center once a year. Sometimes, I need my kids to remind me of these things.

Then I think about what our life would be like if we did switch to school. We'd have to wake up earlier and have a more hectic morning. Then, they'd be gone most of the day. My son would have half an hour to get home, change, and get to taekwondo. He'd get home from taekwondo in time for dinner. Then he'd have just 2 hours (3 at the most) to do homework, shower, and play...and we know that homework would eat up at least half of that. We have no desire to live that schedule! It's insane.

My 10 yr old wants absolutely no part of school. My 17 yr old is very curious.

Both of my kids are adamantly against going to school. They have no desire to spend 6 1/2 hours at school, have homework, miss out on day-time outings, or have less free time. They like having an 18 hour school week rather than a 32 hour school week. They like having no homework, and hate that their ps friends don't have time to play after school because of homework. They know that we go on more "field trips" than ps kids do...even if those field trips are as simple as going to a park to observe beavers, walking a trail to see salmon running and a waterfall, or hitting the science center once a year. Sometimes, I need my kids to remind me of these things.

Then I think about what our life would be like if we did switch to school. We'd have to wake up earlier and have a more hectic morning. Then, they'd be gone most of the day. My son would have half an hour to get home, change, and get to taekwondo. He'd get home from taekwondo in time for dinner. Then he'd have just 2 hours (3 at the most) to do homework, shower, and play...and we know that homework would eat up at least half of that. We have no desire to live that schedule! It's insane.

Yes. All. the. time.

I feel like they're missing out on a lot not because we homeschool, but, because we live here and opportunities are few and far between.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I have a girl who boards with us and she is currently subbing in a local elementary school. It is one of the nicer schools, higher socioeconomic area, etc.

But when she comes home and tells me the stuff they're teaching these kids in addition to the stuff they need to learn, it's the educational equivalent of pork-barreling! it's no wonder some people recommend a year of "un-schooling" when you first take your kids out of ps! It's positively ridiculous. I'm thankful that I have her to be the "spy" and let me know what they are or are not missing out on. So far the grass on the other side is dead and dried up compared to the grass on our side. It's an unusual thing to have such a great eye into the ps scene, and up until the time she moved in, I worried about the same thing. Not anymore.

If that's what they're missing out on each day, then so be it...

Edited by Hedgehogs4
additiona info

I have three in ps and one being hs. I think both offer wonderful opportunities. Different, but wonderful.

I sometimes cringe when I read people generalizing about all ps, especially when they have never experienced it. It comes down to what is best for your family and children.

Yes, my ds13 son is missing out on a lot. He misses the energy that no hs can offer. He misses the social life on which he thrives. He misses the cool electives and gym class and technology and equipment and people from all walks of life that a school can offer.

But, for now, he is learning what ps couldn't teach him - how to read and write. Was that the school's fault? I don't know - my other kids are exceptional students; things come easily to them.

For now, home is where ds belongs. What he's missing out on is nothing to what he is gaining this year. ;)

Due to legal issues, I've made my homeschool similar to a public school. Science for the olders is being outsourced, they have PE, do mainstream sports, etc.

There are still benefits of homeschooling and missed opportunities they'd have in "school".

I'm of the sandwich metaphor mentality.

Thanks for listening!

Dorinda

This is what always snaps me out of that kind of thinking: No one has everything. Yes, our homeschooled kids are missing on some good things that schools have to offer. But traditionally schooled kids are also missing out on what homeschooling has to offer. Neither side can have all the benefits of both sides, as much as we moms want our kids to be able to have *every* good thing out there. It's not just possible. So, the question really is, "Is what my child is gaining from homeschooling more significant than what he/she would gain from school?" And in most cases, the answer is usually yes, imo.

It's also possible to experience some of the benefits of school in other ways, while still homeschooling, through activities, etc. For us, the best blend is homeschooling, but having a weekly co-op (30 weeks of the year) that is very school-like. We have a yearbook, basketball team, academic subjects, holiday parties, gym class, lunch time, etc. So it's sort of like the kids go to school once a week, but in a more family friendly, supportive environment than most schools. That's been the best of both worlds for us.

Thanks for all the great replies! They truly helped get me out of my funk. Sometimes, we just need a little encouragement that what we're doing IS what's best for us. My kids LOVE homeschooling. They don't want to go to school, and we are thriving. Sometimes I wish we had a little more money to do some extra activities, but, don't we all?!? I realized that the activities we wish we could do would not be covered by public school anyway, at least not in our public schools.

Thanks for making me feel better, and a little less alone. Even if you are all "imaginary friends.":D

Oh, BTW!

I told a good friend of mine the PBJ analogy, and she said, "Yeah! Sometimes you're eating a great PBJ and you bite into a nut. Do you get upset and throw the whole sandwich away? No! Because you realize it's just a nut! You move on. However, sometimes you're eating the PBJ and you bite into a pickle. Then, it's time to investigate your PBJ. The trick in life is, recognizing the nuts from the pickles.":lol:

Blessings!

Dorinda