Menu

Are your kids out in public during traditional school hours?

My boys are doing first grade work, so we do school about 1 1/2-2 hours or so a day. Which leaves a lot of time that we are not doing school. They'd love to be out riding bike in the neighborhood, but I'm a little hesitant. I'm not sure about truant officers and all that. Our neighborhood is actually pretty empty during the day, but... you never know. I'm also wondering if it would really be appropriate for me to be taking them shopping or to the library during the morning. Am I just being paranoid, or is it better for us to lay low during the time most kids are in school?

Unless you live in an area that homeschooling is illegal, why would a truant officer care? At your kids ages I would assume they would be within a minute or two of your house or with you in public. If anyone approached them or you, a simple explanation of 'we homeschool' should answer any questions.

We are out an about all the time and have never had a problem, nor have I ever heard of anyone in our area having a problem.

I would be more worried if it was a young teen, who may be out an about unsupervised, that someone may assume was skipping school. Even then a pocket ID and instructions to call the parent should suffice.

Are you complying with the homeschool laws in your state?

My kids are out during school hours all the time. That's the best time to go places. We actually look forward to the start of the school year so that we can start enjoying the zoo again. Its also a great time to find other homeschoolers - those the other people at the zoo, library, park and grocery store with you.

We do most of our outside things during school hours...that's when we have the time. We've had very few questions, but when we do, we just say our boys are homeschooled. No one has ever questioned whether that is legal or not (it is), but if they did we would just tell them yes and leave it at that.

But of course!! Isn't that one of the wonderful things about homeschooling? The only thing I was careful about was playing at the school park during school hours. We did it, but I made sure the kids didn't ride their bikes near the classroom windows. I didn't want any schoolchildren to be jealous.

I consider our family to be a walking advertisement for homeschooling. When families see that our kids are well behaved, well socialized, receive a strong academic education, have time for lots of activities and family time, I think it helps to change public opinion about homeschooling. You may even find people are more open than you assume. I've even had elderly people stop me on the street to say how wonderful it is that I homeschool my children. You may find that you receive more kudos than problems.

I'm Canadian, so I'm not sure if it is the same in the states. If you are worried about truancy officers or reports to social services, I recommend you get a membership at the HSLDA (Homeschoolers Legal Defense Association). If you are a member, they will help you defend yourself legally. I am also assuming you are signed up with a homeschooling board or school board. I'm sorry, but I don't know how it works in the states. In Canada we have to be signed with a board or we can get in serious trouble.

Blessings,

Heather (now living in Florida)

You bet! Like Karen in CO said, that's some of the best time to be out and about. We love doing things like the zoo, children's museum, aquarium, etc during regular PS hours. It's usually not as crowded and we can spend more time enjoying the exhibits instead of fighting the crowds.

They'd love to be out riding bike in the neighborhood, but I'm a little hesitant.

Of what?

I'm not sure about truant officers and all that.

Not sure...what...about truant officers. Are you children truant?

I'm also wondering if it would really be appropriate for me to be taking them shopping or to the library during the morning.

Why might it not be?

Am I just being paranoid, or is it better for us to lay low during the time most kids are in school?

I don't know why this is an issue.

What would be the issue?

:seeya:

We're out whenever. My kids were always out and about when they were little. Their schedules are a bit heftier now, but my son is still out Wed and Friday mornings til noon. My daughter has her own schedule but carries a Univ. ID since she's underage (the fine in Dallas for being out during daytime curfew is $500 if you are 17 or under so "should be in school." I don't know what it is in our little town).

Anyway, there was only one time I had any real concern. A police officer came down our street, pulled into my driveway, and spoke to my children (when I saw him pull up, I stood on the porch and waved nonchalantly, but that isn't how I felt). He gave them each a card and waved and left. Whatever. LOL.

Seriously, we homeschool legally and it's NO ONE's business what my children do when. No one has really cared. LOL

ETA: Krissi, you could go laminate a little card for them with a statement that you homeschool in the legal manner and that your children have your permission to be outside at this particular time. Put your phone number on the card "in case." We never did anything like that but had I been worried about it....

Edited by 2J5M9K

School around here starts in 2 days! I cannot WAIT for all of those kids to get back to school so we can actually go out and not deal with the huge crowds.

We were out and about in California when we lived there too.....I would LOVE to talk to any truant officer about why my kids aren't in a brick and mortar school! :lol:

Bring it ON!

we have recently moved to another state, and it appears (so far, I'm still checking) that this state has curfew laws during school days. My kids are old enough to play on our block (scooters, bikes) without supervision, but in this county it seems children under age 17 aren't allowed out without an adult between 9a.m.-2:30p.m.

I still won't hesitate to be out and about WITH them.

Really. But then again, we have a lot of year round schools around here. So there are always school aged kids out and about.

I don't think about what time is it when we leave home but we school in the morning so we don't usually leave home until after lunch.

If a truant officer were to show up, don' t let them into your home. Be polite & they can stay on the porch. If you explain homeschooling, you will probably be fine. If you are a member of HSLDA, call them while truant officer waits.

I doubt you will see one. I was a truant officer before my son was born. I had my hands full with the public schools. I never had to worry with private schools or homeschoolers.... unless a neighbor called about the kids (and usually they were stirring up a stink!)

Live your life! WE go out all the time. People are getting more accustomed to things. But it is like being in a movie with NO children left on the planet..... :001_huh:.... but can be fun too... may get the park or playground all to ourselves!

We go out to places together (shopping, museums, etc.) but I no longer let them play out front or ride their bikes alone during PS school hours. This is because we've had two occasions where neighbors (one out walking, the other driving by) have stopped to ask them why they aren't in school.

One was a girl of about 20 or so, and I stepped out on the porch when I saw her car slow down. She was asking DS1, "If you're homeschooled, why aren't you doing schoolwork?" I asked her if she needed something, and she just kind of chuckled and said that she was wondering if it was a school holiday. I'm like, "No, we homeschool, and homeschooled kids get recess, too."

I just don't like putting my kids in awkward situations with adults like that. I still let them play outside in the back yard during school hours, so I don't think they're really missing anything. We tend to do our school hours a bit later in the day, so often, by the time they're ready for a play break, it's already 2:30, the neighborhood kids are getting home and I don't mind letting them go out front then.

In Georgia:

O.C.G.A. § 20-2-698 (2009)

§ 20-2-698. Peace officers may take temporary custody of truant children away from home

Any peace officer may assume temporary custody, during school hours, of any child subject to compulsory school attendance who is found away from home and who is absent from a public or private school or a home study program without a valid written excuse from school officials or from the parent or guardian in charge of the home study program.

My kids were/are never out & about during school hours without me, so it has never been an issue.

School hours are the best time to be out and about! Blissfully empty museums, libraries, parks, zoos........

:iagree: We have been questioned, but a simple we homeschool usually does it. Someone asked once if that was legal, but when I said yes they dropped it and went on.

In our area there are so many different schooling options and as a result so many different schedules (private, public,charter, homeschooling, etc) that there are always kids places because their school is closed that day.

So, even if a truant officer were to find a student out it is about as likely that they would be finding a private school student as a homeschooler.

Of course, most kids are with their parents so I can't see that many people have had problems.

I always take my dd out during school hours. If anyone asks why she's not in school she says she's homeschooled and that usually ends the conversation. I've been homeschooling for 6 years and have never once had a problem with us being out. You can always get an id card for them too to show they are homeschoolers.

Edited by Ibbygirl
can't freakin spell to save my life

Absolutely, we're out. And when they are older they will go out alone. However, I would think twice if I were in an area with a daytime curfew. Some places require that even homeschoolers are not out on their own unless they have a note from a parent and are on an errand. I would probably wait longer, until the kids were old enough to pleasantly stand up for their rights against an officer who might not think "riding a bike" was a good enough errand. ;)

Am I just being paranoid, or is it better for us to lay low during the time most kids are in school?

Last year when I was homeschooling only my 3rd grader, I volunteered extensively at the private school I took him out of. I played the piano for the elem. chapel time and brought my 3 young ones with me. I chaperoned all prek field trips and brought my 2 other along.

I am so fortunate to live here.

We also twice a week walked to the retirement home for morning coffee time to visit with the many resident grandmas. They are all very supportive of our decision - which I find to be a big blessing, since it is a small community that revolves around the church and church sponsored school. It is a "church" retirement home also.

As for heading into town, I can't tell you how many times people have asked about "no school today?" or "did you have to go to the dentist today?" and I just have NO clue what they are talking about. They have to point out, "Umm, well, they're not in school." (duh, lady)

Good grief ! ! ! !

I had NO idea that Dallas had enacted an inane law of this sort. We live in Carrollton, but go into Dallas for weekday church services, to the Whole Foods Market, and to other regularly useful places. I have no plans to change my life to accommodate this nonsense. I'll go look up the law and see if it applies to children directly accompanied by their parent(s).

We're out whenever. My kids were always out and about when they were little. Their schedules are a bit heftier now, but my son is still out Wed and Friday mornings til noon. My daughter has her own schedule but carries a Univ. ID since she's underage (the fine in Dallas for being out during daytime curfew is $500 if you are 17 or under so "should be in school." I don't know what it is in our little town).

Anyway, there was only one time I had any real concern. A police officer came down our street, pulled into my driveway, and spoke to my children (when I saw him pull up, I stood on the porch and waved nonchalantly, but that isn't how I felt). He gave them each a card and waved and left. Whatever. LOL.

Seriously, we homeschool legally and it's NO ONE's business what my children do when. No one has really cared. LOL

ETA: Krissi, you could go laminate a little card for them with a statement that you homeschool in the legal manner and that your children have your permission to be outside at this particular time. Put your phone number on the card "in case." We never did anything like that but had I been worried about it....

Guest janainaz

We go out during the day from time-to-time. I have every school paper my son has ever done - plenty of proof that school is being done at home. Being out during ps hours never crosses my mind. We go to lunch, I take my kids to the park, we go to the mall, the store, you name it. I just live my life.

Well, then... I guess I am being paranoid.:D Yes, I am in compliance with all state, federal and local regulations, but... I just get so much flack in my town, church, friends, family for homeschooling that somehow... I just feel like I'm doing something wrong. Thanks for the encouragement!

Orthodox,

http://www.dallascityhall.com/juvenile_curfew_faq.html

I'm pretty sure there is no issue for accompanied minors. They are just trying to do away with crime. However, I was looking at a website that said that 82% of crime during the daytime curfew times are done by adults. Maybe ADULTS should not be allowed out during the day? LOL

Anyway, so don't worry. I *am* going to look up the law in my town, but my son will always be with an adult (at least within a block of an adult he knows) so I'm not worried about it. He's legitimately homeschooled. I did run through a scenario or two with him if someone asks him so he can be firm, assertive and respectful IF he ever needs to answer an adult about being out of school, but I really am not worried about it.

Yes, my son goes out in public during traditional school hours; I don't worry about it at all. Then again, my family makes fun of me for "night schooling" since we get our work done at night if we don't get it done during the daytime.

I love this! Night school is great during the holiday season.

Yes, on Mondays we go to the library, Wednesdays and Thursdays are often days to grocery shop and on Fridays we go to a local park.

Sometimes in the fall, I feel a bit hesitant about going to Walmart at 1 in the afternoon but that time fits our schedule well and I really don't get any funny looks. :001_smile:

My boys are doing first grade work, so we do school about 1 1/2-2 hours or so a day. Which leaves a lot of time that we are not doing school. They'd love to be out riding bike in the neighborhood, but I'm a little hesitant. I'm not sure about truant officers and all that. Our neighborhood is actually pretty empty during the day, but... you never know. I'm also wondering if it would really be appropriate for me to be taking them shopping or to the library during the morning. Am I just being paranoid, or is it better for us to lay low during the time most kids are in school?

Yes, definitely!!! Being out in the world during the day is one of the best parts of homeschooling! I think it would be sad to stay shuttered up inside all day, just out of deference to the public school system. I probably would be careful about letting young kids outside without me for extended periods, just because I wouldn't want them to be alone to have to deal with neighbors' questioning or possible truant calls. But I'd take them out anywhere with me, and allow them outside alone on my our property.

We go out when we want to go out. Last night I stopped in a drugstore at 8 pm to grab some snacks on our way to the drive-in. The cashier asked if that's where we were headed, and then if we had school in the morning (all of the local districts start back today). When I answered that we homeschooled and would just start when the kids were up in the morning, she just beamed and said "Good for you!" And the drive-in was nearly empty, which was fun. We spend a LOT of time on field trips in September and October when the ps teachers are busy setting their classroom routines and never schedule field trips. It's lovely to wander through empty museums, zoos, and science centers!

Yes, we embrace the freedom of homeschooling, and I refuse to let a government restrict my children from playing outside during the day just because of public schools/social programs. I feel people who hide and/or allow the gov't school to govern them only allow the gov't to become stronger.

The first few months I homeschooled I felt weird about going out during school hours also.

I got over it fast.

Everybody at the library knows my son is homeschooled and they are used to us showing up at all hours.

Even the clerks at the foodstore know we are homeschooled. I think its those mid-morning runs to the foodstore for missing cooking class supplies that gave us away.

Museums are the best during the day. Its like having your own private museum. We are so spoiled if we have to go on a weekend or when it is crowded with school groups.