Menu

Door to Door Religious Visitors

What is your response to religious solicitation such as Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons? Do you politely decline, shut the door in their faces, listen to them and get in religious discussions? Has anyone on the board changed their religion due to a "cold call" from religious visitors?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I normally just try to be a good neighbor and talk to them as much as they want. Many times they'll present a scripture to me and I have just done a study on it so I will share what I just learned from it. When they invite me to their church I say I will ask my husband (he always says no).

From experience with "door-to-door" folks, they don't wish to listen to me with any serious intent to learn the truth any more than I wish to listen to their views (which for many groups, I already have studied in sufficient depth to know that I'm not at all interested) -- so it's a moot point.

Only once did I tackle a "religious solicitor" head-on. (Never mind what group it was.) I was "assaulted" (my feeling about the matter) as I exited the car in front of my home. When the pair of women refused to accept my polite "disengagement", I gave up and let rip with unassailable answers to everything they could think of to throw at me.

I did not enjoy the experience. Frontal-assault witnessing is NOT my personal style, nor the "style" for my religion. Such is not even legitimate witnessing, just shameful arguing.

I don't answer the door any more. Yes, it's probably rude -- but so is showing up at my door uninvited, and if I did open the door, I'd have to shut it again, and that'd be rude too. Sigh. I really hate door-to-door solicitations (religious or otherwise).

This is what we have done in the past:

1. I did not open the door if I was home alone with the kids because I don't answer the door if I do not know the people at the door.

If my husband was home,

2. Sometimes I would answer and just politely take whatever they are handing out and send them along.

3. My husband would answer the door and debate them.

4. My husband would only take something from them if they took a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church in exchange.

5. My husband would chat up a storm with them and open up the Bible and the Catechism with them. The talk was so good, that the poor people couldn't wait to leave. My husband would invite them back to continue the discussion. Of course, they didn't come back.

Louise

I heard the best way to deal with unwanted religious enthusiasts is to ask them to put you on their "do not call" equivalent list. I thought I read that here, and that was the only way to effectively not get revisited...

If I said what was really on my mind, I hear they would be back full-force to try and save me!

I politely tell them I'm not interested in their literature and close the door. I had one lady get angry at me an throw her hands in the air in disgust when I refused her magazine. Do they have a quota they're supposed to hand out or something?

I think JWs are supposed to spend a certain amount of time witnessing. Mormon missionaries do a variety of things, only one part of which is knocking on doors.

I have only seen Mormons once this part of the world, but the guy who delivers our eggs is a JW and gives me literature a few times a year. There is another guy from his congregation who has come by before.

I'm pretty patient, knowing how socially awkward witnessing/conversion efforts are and that they really feel like it is their duty, in spite of how difficult it is.

I did get really irritated once when I found some evangelical tracts tucked into nightstands in the guest rooms of my inn, however. This sort of sneaky evangelizing was very inappropriate and no doubt led a couple of guests to think that this was my doing, before I managed to discover it and pull it all.

I can't imagine being rude to someone who knocks on my door since I'm the one who should be in control of the interaction at my house. If I don't want to talk to someone, I tell them I'm not interested and close the door, or I don't answer in the first place. It doesn't matter what they're trying to tell me or sell me. But I see no need to argue with anyone, or engage them in a negative way.

Since moving to the province I'm in now, simply saying we have a faith, thanks seems to be enough.

When I lived back east, I had folks at my door every freakin wknd. I finally threatened to have them arrested for trespassing if they showed up again. They promptly did so the next wknd. I told him I was calling the police and reporting them for trespassing and harrassment. He told me he had the RIGHT to be there, freedom of religion. I told him that yes, he had freedom of religion, but that doesn't give him the right to keep coming back, week after week, when they've been told no. Religion doesn't give you the right to tresspass on private property either. I started dialing, and he left...and I was FINALLY left alone. :glare:

To this day, I fail to see how a campaign of harrassment could be considered by anyone to be a workable plan.

On the other hand, I've always found Mormon missionaries to be wonderful. In fact, I attended an LDS church for a time due to the young men that showed up at my door. I had literally just moved in, everything in boxes, etc. They asked if they could do anything for me, and I jokingly said, "Unpack!" Darned if they didn't come in and do just that! :D

I am direct, but polite. I respect that they are fulfilling an obligation and feel bad that they are probably received less than graciously at most doors. I have even been known to offer a drink when it's especially hot.

However...

I'm pretty sure (having witnessed a very animated discussion on the sidewalk the last time I saw a group of people with the Watchtower) that I was put on the "do not call" list the last time one of them visited. She was so remarkably rude that I threatened to set the dog on her. (No, I don't hold her against the rest of the world's JWs - she was simply one rude woman.)

And, no, I have no interest in a war of the minds or changing my belief system.

That's the ideal, of course. Unfortunately, I can't always be calm and rational with door to door religious groups. (Fumbling here for a non-offensive term.) I don't answer the door. Period. Never, ever even open it. I go so far as to pull my kids inside and shut the garage door. That's my way of being nice. My dad always taught me if I dont' have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

What is your response to religious solicitation such as Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons? Do you politely decline, shut the door in their faces, listen to them and get in religious discussions? Has anyone on the board changed their religion due to a "cold call" from religious visitors?

I haven't changed my religious beliefs, but I met a very good friend this way.

She came to my door every week for months. I usually stepped out onto the porch and chatted with her and her fellow Jehovah's Witness for several minutes. Soon we started talking about families and day-to-day issues in addition to the subject she had planned to discuss.

I started inviting her in for a cup of coffee, and we now work together to produce her artwork, share family meals, and get together for lunch and general conversation.

She knows I attend a Baptist church and feel most comfortable with my own beliefs, but she loves me anyway. ;)

Well, it's really rare that they come out here to the farm, and rarer still that they'll continue once the dog greets them, but if they do come to the door, I usually just say "I'm not interested, thank you." I've never had anyone push beyond that except once when the woman saw my little boy outside and asked if she could leave something for him. I just said, "I don't think so, thank you" and she left it at that.

I am sorry to say that there have been a couple of incidents with the dog, but really... if you're going to continue on getting out of the car when you see the big ol' fella right there, then I figure you've decided to risk it. He isn't a mean dog, and he doesn't bite, but he does bark, and he will stand you down and growl.

I usually politely decline, but will shut the door in their face if they are pushy.

My dh, on the other hand, will witness right back and WILL get into theological debates. I feel kind of sorry for anyone that has him answer the door instead of me ;)

Same here. We had some Mormons in our neighborhood that only stayed a week after my husband's conversation with them. (Granted, I do not know if that is why they left before their time was up or not, but one guy was almost in tears when he realized some of the things he was hearing for the first time)

eh...doesn't bother me much. I actually enjoy reading the Watchtower and Awake magazines that the JW members leave here - they often have interesting articles, even if I don't agree with everything written in them. I've never had anyone be overly pushy or whatnot... just friendly, talkative, and wanting to share something. :)

It's been *years* since I've had an LDS missionaries come around though... I remember the last pair being amused when they called me later ~ I had "God Gave Rock & Roll to You" (KISS) on my answering machine instead of a voice and they thought it was awesome. :D

I'm so fed up with door knockers, religious or otherwise that I am seriously considering a sign telling folks to not bother knocking because I have no interest in talking to them. The worst thing is that people standing at our front door can see right into our living room, so I can't just ignore them.

I always tell them that we are a Jesus-loving family, but thanks for stopping by. I try to be gracious and kind because my last job was door-to-door so I know how hard it is:D In fact, because I didn't want to be confused with a religious doorknocker when people saw me through their peephole, I purposely wore the brightest lipstick I could find:tongue_smilie:

We only get JWs every few years. I confirm that I am still with the same church and take their lit and they go on. They do know who lives where and how many kids, what ages....always wonder what they do with that data besides make conversation...

I've only had a few of those visits...interestingly, I've lived in seminary housing for the last several years and it's here we've had the most visits ...generally from Mormons.

One time, I didn't realize the lady was a Mormon...until I read her literature later - she was nice.

Another time, my neighbors and I were outside with the kids and my neighbors dh talked with a couple of young men for over 1.5hr. They evidently had a friendly theological discussion. I think they figured out that everyone in this complex is seminary...so they haven't been back since then:lol:

In Oct 1997, a woman came to my door during a tract campaign. She asked to speak to my mother. I said I WAS the mother as my son peeked at her. My daughter came to the door and she about fell over that I had a child so old. My hubby came up behind me saying "Hi Mom!" jokingly. She got a kick out of us. Anyway, I have since looked up that tract but know that I set it on my end table and don't know that I paid it much mind.

She came back in February (at which point I had 3 more children). We were playing outside (Louisiana). We chatted a little bit and things came about that I asked her 3 questions. The first was about a teaching at most mainstream churches that I knew was false (I was attending a Baptist church). The second was something I REALLY wanted to know the answer to but had gotten several non-answers from various people, including preachers. The third was something off the wall that was in a scripture the previous Sunday. It wasn't the point of the sermon so the preacher didn't talk about it, but I wondered about it.

For the first question, Lita asked me my understanding and I told her and why. She commended me and asked if I would like further information about that. She gave me a brochure which I've since shared with many people. The brochure pointed out what the Bible said, what other religions taught and why, etc.

The second question, she took me to a handful of scriptures then asked me what the scriptures said.

For the third question, she told me that she would need to research that a little but would come back at such and such time to discuss it. She came back and she and the other person explained it very well.

Anyway, I accepted a personal Bible study. A lot of people who discuss the Bible and even do the formal Bible study (1/2 to 1 chapter per week in a study book) don't choose to convert. That isn't the point of the Witnessing work anyway. But I chose to and did so much more quickly than most people. However, a LOT of my beliefs were already based on the Bible, not what the church taught anyway. So it was probably easier for me than most.

Anyway, so that was the long way to say, yes. BTw, that was the first time I had ever had a JW at my door (though obviously I've had lots since then! LOL). A few months later, I had my first Mormon. I've never had another.

I do always answer my door. I am always friendly. But I generally don't engage in discussion. This was just a different situation. I was ready :)

BTW, the great majority of people when we go door to door will talk for a minute. They may or may not take any literature. We prefer people not take it if they aren't going to read it. I enjoy chatting with people whether they end up agreeing or not on a particular point. Sometimes people say they aren't interested. It is VERY rare in any area I've lived in for people to be rude, slam doors, or worse (and yes, we've had worse happen).

Anyway, jme on each side of the door :)

ETA: One more thing since between the other thread and this there seems to be some misunderstanding. Witnesses are NOT run off by anything. The LEAST a territory will be worked is every 2 years (or people from another area will be sent to help them get it done) if you are REALLY rural or have said "never come back." Of course, you might not be there when they come. In our area, every house is visited about every 6months though we did have a few small areas we got help with a couple years ago. And if some situation happens, the story might get around, but it won't include which house unless the house really sticks out some way (purple and yellow on a main thoroughfare? LOL). There are about 100 people in every congregation and a few congregations in most areas. There are 4-6 people in that car that came to the house. The rest of us have no idea where that rottweiler pack charged the car, just that they were chewing on the tires.

MORE ETA: Crissy, that is a sweet story. Yeah, we really do enjoy getting to know people just as anyone else would. I have asked other women about Bible studies I've gone on or people who have visited the hall a couple times. I don't see them much but most of the people we talk to are pretty neat when you get to know them. Why wouldn't you want to get to know them? It's neat that y'all have a nice relationship. Most people seem to think we don't really care. We REALLY do care about people, ESPECIALLY after getting to know them a little. Of course, I'm one of those kinds of caring people that take to people fast and easily so I regularly feel that way, even if I've only talked with someone a few times. I just connect and LOVE it.

lgm, the information isn't used for anything other than discussion. We write it down so we can remember when we come back. Obviously, JWs who have lived in the area a long time and have been to certain territories many times do know a lot about people (and their neighbors if they chat about them). But the information really isn't used for anything other than small talk :)

EVEN MORE ETA: King, we do not have to get a certain number of hours. We simply do what we can. Average person gets just under 10 hours per month. Some people volunteer for a certain number per month. My daughter is doing 50 until she gets approved for 70. There are 9 people in our Kingdom Hall that do 70/mo.

Edited by 2J5M9K
adding because of reading other responses....

On the other hand, I've always found Mormon missionaries to be wonderful. In fact, I attended an LDS church for a time due to the young men that showed up at my door. I had literally just moved in, everything in boxes, etc. They asked if they could do anything for me, and I jokingly said, "Unpack!" Darned if they didn't come in and do just that! :D

:iagree:

The LDS missionaries that have come to our door have been very nice, and not pushy at all. I enjoy talking to them, and take their pamphlets(and I have a Book of Mormon from them). I take pretty much what any of the different faiths give me because I'm genuinely curious about different religions. At first, when they'd ask about our religion I'd say "we're not religious" but now I try to say we're agnostic (though we're pretty much atheists). I try to avoid conflict as much as possible :lol:.

The strangest experience I had was with a Christian missionary (not sure which denomination) at a homeschooling curriculum fair. I was walking by, and she stopped me and asked if I wanted more information and/or wanted to donate to their cause (it was missionary program in Asia). I stopped, and she asked if I was a Christian. I told her I was an atheist (that was actually the first time I've ever openly told someone that). She was completely taken aback. She said, "And you're homeschooling?" I said yes. Then she asked how many kids I have, and I said "Three." Then she asked me, "Is the father in the picture?" It took me a second to realize she was asking if I was still with the father of my kids. I said "Yes, we've been married twelve years." She seemed surprised about that.

I do not answer the door. Just hide & wait for them to leave. They have nothing to offer to me & I really don't want to be mean, disrespectful or rude to them.

My husband does & begins witnessing to them about the Bible and danger of cults.

Thankfully, we have 4 dogs and they don't come up our secluded drive too often. Nice thing about living in the country!

:iagree:

The strangest experience I had was with a Christian missionary (not sure which denomination) at a homeschooling curriculum fair. I was walking by, and she stopped me and asked if I wanted more information and/or wanted to donate to their cause (it was missionary program in Asia). I stopped, and she asked if I was a Christian. I told her I was an atheist (that was actually the first time I've ever openly told someone that). She was completely taken aback. She said, "And you're homeschooling?" I said yes. Then she asked how many kids I have, and I said "Three." Then she asked me, "Is the father in the picture?" It took me a second to realize she was asking if I was still with the father of my kids. I said "Yes, we've been married twelve years." She seemed surprised about that.

Geeze, how offensive. I didn't realize that atheists had a stereotype of being 'unmarried to their children's fathers'.

(meaning that that woman at the convention was offensive, not the pp.)

It depends on the day, but often I just say I am not interested and shut the door if they do not get the hint. I have debated with some of them, but I usually just don't have the time to waste when they are not going to listen to me anyway. I do need a no solicitation sign though for all types, because our new neighborhood is crawling with people wanting money lol.

I was going to post about a similar experience. I have been a Christian my "whole life", so when the JW witnesses showed up, I was not interested, but they were friendly and pleasant. 2 young men, college age. I was a single mom of a 2 yo at the time. Because we were visiting pleasantly in my doorway (apartment) and my son was there entertaining with his basketball, one asked him did he like to play, etc. Visit ended with them playing catch with him (we all went outside). Next week a young woman came with them and came in - more of a social call and helped me fold laundry while the boys played with my son. It was never really a religious visit, more of a missionary thing. This is good evangelism IMO, building relationships. I wish more Christians would act this way.

It depends on my mood and the missionaries. If I feel argumentative and they are pushy, I can usually run them out in about a 1/2 hour. If they are young I tend to give them a break and refuse. The last time two men came to the door, my dh ran to the door, gently pushed me aside and said our dd needed me so he could turn them away; a game was about to come on. :glare:hmmph!

I am direct, but polite. I respect that they are fulfilling an obligation and feel bad that they are probably received less than graciously at most doors. I have even been known to offer a drink when it's especially hot.
When I have LDS come to the door or Witnesses that know me but didn't know this was my address, lol, I offer them a drink and the restroom. When I wasn't a Witness I always hid, but mainly because I was never dressed:001_huh:. LOL life before kids, gotta love it.

And, no, I have no interest in a war of the minds or changing my belief system.
I will accept that, (good to the point reply, IMO) but I usually try to at least read a scripture.:tongue_smilie:

We only get JWs every few years. I confirm that I am still with the same church and take their lit and they go on. They do know who lives where and how many kids, what ages....always wonder what they do with that data besides make conversation...
nothing else is done with it!:eek: Edited by Lovedtodeath

The last time we had one, I told him that our pantheon was currently full, thanks, but if we had any openings for which his deity seemed appropriate we'd let him know.

Karen, I truly don't mean to offend you, but I've just got to :D at that one. It's the first time I've heard that.

We only have ever had JWs-- once every few months or so. I'm always polite, but I do get frustrated when I ask to be taken off the list/not to be visited again and they come again anyway. I've considered telling them the truth (that I'm pagan) but I'm afraid that might only increase the visits! LOL

FWIW, I grew up with JW neighbors and have known a few other JWs in my life, and they are great people. And since I have a natural curiousity/interest in religions anyway, I really enjoyed learing about their faith. I just don't like the door to door thing; it feels like an invasion of privacy. And I don't like being proselytized to.

*I* say no thank you we're happy in our church environment. I do not accept their literature.

Dh will not bring them in the house but will sit on our front porch with them and discuss bible theology. He has on more than one occasion stumped the visitor and they have brought back their "elder" or something like that they called him/her. He'd discuss bible with them until they just don't return. He enjoys the opportunity as a time to witness. Generally, though we can only hope for seeds planted.

Dh brings in their literature and discusses with our children why we do not follow their philosophy.

Well, it's really rare that they come out here to the farm, and rarer still that they'll continue once the dog greets them, but if they do come to the door, I usually just say "I'm not interested, thank you." I've never had anyone push beyond that except once when the woman saw my little boy outside and asked if she could leave something for him. I just said, "I don't think so, thank you" and she left it at that.

I am sorry to say that there have been a couple of incidents with the dog, but really... if you're going to continue on getting out of the car when you see the big ol' fella right there, then I figure you've decided to risk it. He isn't a mean dog, and he doesn't bite, but he does bark, and he will stand you down and growl.

Not nice for me to say, I know, but I'd love to see the expression on their faces is you said, "Um, I'm a witch. No thanks."