Menu

Door to Door Religious Visitors

Karen, I truly don't mean to offend you, but I've just got to :D at that one. It's the first time I've heard that.

No offense taken;). It proved much more effective than the "no, thank you, we're not interested" I'd used for years--we haven't had anyone like that knock on the door since.

BTW, we had an extended thread about this as regards the Witnesses a while back, and my understanding from that was that by taking the literature you are giving them some hope that they may eventually convince you so they will keep coming back.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so fed up with door knockers, religious or otherwise that I am seriously considering a sign telling folks to not bother knocking because I have no interest in talking to them. The worst thing is that people standing at our front door can see right into our living room, so I can't just ignore them.

I made a no soliciting sign for my door and added no magazines, no surveys, and no contests (sometimes the salespeople claim they aren't selling anything but are doing a contest or trying to win a scholarship but the end result is that they expect me to buy something I don't want), but as far as I can tell, no one has ever heeded it. We've never had any religious visitors here except for people advertising events by putting up door hangers.

I don't answer the door any more. Yes, it's probably rude -- but so is showing up at my door uninvited, and if I did open the door, I'd have to shut it again, and that'd be rude too. Sigh. I really hate door-to-door solicitations (religious or otherwise).

Me, too. Don't answer. I also put up a No Solicitors sign, but apparently those words don't mean anything to many people.

Do you politely decline, shut the door in their faces,

I interrupt them

and I keep talking even if they keep talking,

if they still keep talking, I use my mom tone and stance and tell them to stop talking.

First, I feign ignorance and ask, "....Am I expecting you...?....?..." :001_huh:

If they do not give me a direct reply of no, I ask the same thing again. :lol:

Then I tell them I am "occupied."

Sometimes if they ask "How are you?" first off, I will answer "Occupied. Am I expecting you"

And then when they say no, I reiterate I am occupied and cannot participate in any conversation.

If it is a warm day I give them each a bottle of water and send them on their way.

(But we give water to everyone, not just the religious types)

:seeya:

I have a sign on my doorbell which says

No Thanks!

No Missionaries

No Sales

No Gas Contracts (this is a Vancouver thing with natural gas delivery coming out of monopoly & the private businesses swarming to make a $. These guys are aggressive & totally smarmy, implying your gas will be cut off if you don't 'update' your account....)

We get way fewer door to door people ringing the bell with the sign but we still get a few. Dh is very polite & cheerful & just says We're atheists! Last time around the person gleefully said "Oh I love to talk to atheists!" Sigh. Um. NO, no thanks.

I usually just point to the sign. What I want to say but bite my tongue is "Do you need to hear the good word about literacy?? I have a phonics book you can borrow!"

I've only had one person ring the bell & then apologize profusely, and that was a nice Mormon boy who was so beet red & so apologetic that he rang the bell despite the sign that I felt sorry for him.

I also put up a No Solicitors sign, but apparently those words don't mean anything to many people.

You're so right! I once ran into a guy selling stuff, and I asked how he got around those signs (because I never EVER wanted to knock on doors that said that) and he told me if someone points it out to him, he said, "Sorry, I thought it said NO SMOKING in Spanish." LOL, I was never brave enough to try it.

Another guy, who was actually a colleague of mine, told me that when someone would point out a No Solicitors sign he'd say, "If you see one let me know, 'cause I don't want to run into one either!"

Point being, I didn't knock on those doors, but some people have a lot of nerve!

The JWs who've come around to my home have been nothing but friendly. I'm usually out gardening, so the talk often turns to roses, or some such thing.

I know they are doing what they believe to be their religious duty, so it's hard to fault someone for that. And not being religious myself they aren't stepping on my toes, or breaking my leg. So I wish them well, offer drinks when it's blazing hot, and cherish the diversity of American life.

Not a problem.

Bill

They annoy me because they won't go away. I have no problem saying no thank you politely, but after the first time I'd hope that would be the end of it. I've had to become pushy with two different groups twice over the years. I think both were JW but I really don't know for sure.

Not nice for me to say, I know, but I'd love to see the expression on their faces is you said, "Um, I'm a witch. No thanks."

Well, you see... I'd rather they not come back, and I don't want to say something that might make them think they need to come "save my soul" :001_rolleyes: on a more frequent basis.

I'm polite. Sometimes I get into a discussion but not too often. Generally I tell them I'm not interested, that I'm happy with my church.

One thing that is curious to me is that when I say I'm a Christian, the JWs who have come to my door say that they are Christian too but still try to convince me of their theology. If we are all Christians, why do JWs waste their time trying to convert other Christians? Better off going after you atheists! :D But seriously, that has always puzzled me.

Audrey,

JWs do not believe THEY can save you. Regardless of what you say, they will almost definitely come by as often as they work that particular area of their territory. There are some locations (like big metropolitan areas) that often get worked every few weeks. Rural areas may get worked only every 6, 12, or so months. Timing is an issue also. Some people seem to get more regular visits just because of their territory but also when they are home as it compares to when the JWs there go out in the ministry work. Some people will be caught much less often just depending on how often the territory is worked, when they are home, who checks out that area, etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, if you said you were a witch, I'd say, "oh, that is interesting. I don't get that answer very often" which is absolutely true. I might ask you something about that as I'd be genuinely intrigued. But if you stopped the conversation from there, I'd mention it in the car group, and we might discuss what that could mean (if you were saying it for shock value, going off on some other call that said that, whatever). And the next car group would stop by when the area of territory was checked out again. They very likely (again, unless you have a purple and yellow house on a main thoroughfare) won't have any clue what you told me.

We're REALLY just looking for people who ARE interested in God's Kingdom or would be if they knew what it is and what the effects of that govt will be. We go door to door. We preach. If given the opportunity, we teach. Everything else is between God and that person. *I* have no power in the situation. I can't make it happen. I can't stop it from happening.

Having been one of those Mormon missionaries, I'd just like to say it isn't an easy thing to do...although the times when I found someone who wanted to hear my message and accepted it made all of the time & effort worth it! But for a shy, reserved 21-year-old, it was surely a stretch out of my comfort zone.

My philosophy when I was a missionary was, hey, I've got a message that is close to my heart & I believe it can bring you peace & joy. If someone said they weren't interested, I wouldn't push it, but I'd still be friendly. I did enjoy continuing conversation and finding out more about their beliefs--and in the process learning about other faiths and finding the things that we did have in common. I met some amazing people on my mission...and those conversations have helped me to understand that we are all in this world together & we can learn from one another. I looked for ways to reach out to people--whether they accepted my message or not--because I believed I was on a mission for Christ and wanted to act as I felt He would act. (so yes, I raked leaves, carried in groceries, talked to a sad child, etc).

But yeah, there were plenty of people not interested...plenty of people who expressed that sentiment a little less politely than others. I always loved it when they said they'd pray for my lost soul...:)

So when someone comes to my door, I'm friendly and firm when I say no, thank you. I never invite anyone in if I'm alone with my kids--occasionally I'll step out onto the porch to talk for a minute. With the Jehovah's Witnesses, I always say I'm happily involved in my church, but I admire their desire to share their faith. A few have wanted to stop and question me on the scriptures, but I always try to find something we have in common and comment on how wonderful it is we share a faith in Christ...all while I'm backing into the house & shooing my children away. :) When it's a salesman, I'm a little more direct in my no, thank you. Last time I told the lady I was a tightwad and she'd get no money out of me...she laughed and gave up rather quickly.

Does ethnicity matter for the "religious visitors"? DH and I are both Asian-looking (I say that because I was adopted from Korea in infancy and consider myself 100% American, 0% Asian) and when we get visitors, we like to talk to them on theological issues and sometimes invite them back. But they never come back! I sometimes wonder if they are looking for a certain ethnicity...

When I was a teacher in Korea, I got approached by many Mormon missionaries, who were totally shocked that I spoke English, but no Hangul!

Ethnicity doesn't play into it at all for the LDS (Mormon)...our church is worldwide and most of our missionaries go outside of the US, actually. If I remember correctly, I think there are more members in our church who live outside the US than inside the US now.

I'm surprised they never came back if they were LDS! If someone invited me back, you'd bet I'd have been there! :)

Oh, actually...come to think of it, we aren't allowed to proselyte in certain areas (Jerusalem and China are the two that come to mind...I'm sure there are others) due to government restrictions in those countries.

Audrey,

JWs do not believe THEY can save you. Regardless of what you say, they will almost definitely come by as often as they work that particular area of their territory. There are some locations (like big metropolitan areas) that often get worked every few weeks. Rural areas may get worked only every 6, 12, or so months. Timing is an issue also. Some people seem to get more regular visits just because of their territory but also when they are home as it compares to when the JWs there go out in the ministry work. Some people will be caught much less often just depending on how often the territory is worked, when they are home, who checks out that area, etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, if you said you were a witch, I'd say, "oh, that is interesting. I don't get that answer very often" which is absolutely true. I might ask you something about that as I'd be genuinely intrigued. But if you stopped the conversation from there, I'd mention it in the car group, and we might discuss what that could mean (if you were saying it for shock value, going off on some other call that said that, whatever). And the next car group would stop by when the area of territory was checked out again. They very likely (again, unless you have a purple and yellow house on a main thoroughfare) won't have any clue what you told me.

We're REALLY just looking for people who ARE interested in God's Kingdom or would be if they knew what it is and what the effects of that govt will be. We go door to door. We preach. If given the opportunity, we teach. Everything else is between God and that person. *I* have no power in the situation. I can't make it happen. I can't stop it from happening.

Well, that's nice to know, Pamela. But still... I think "I'm not interested, thanks" explains my intention more politely and succinctly. :001_smile:

Sometimes, I do want to ask them not to come back, but really... in the 12 years I've been here, we've got *maybe* 5 or 6 that have actually come all the way to the door.

There are many times more Witnesses outside the US than in it. It's a worldwide religion and though we can't report numbers in certain countries for safety reasons at this time, there are Witnesses in each country. And in this country, you go to a Kingdom Hall based on language you're most comfy with (unless you choose a foreign language congregation). In our congregation, we have an amazing mix of people. It most certainly isn't the "most segregated hour in America" in a Kingdom Hall on Sunday mornings. We're united in worshiping and learning :)

Regardless of what you say, they will almost definitely come by as often as they work that particular area of their territory.

That hasn't been my experience--so maybe the folks who came to my door weren't JWs?. Both sets of people I dealt with came back exactly once. The second time I firmly told them not to return, and they said they would not--and I didn't see them again.

In our congregation, we have an amazing mix of people. It most certainly isn't the "most segregated hour in America" in a Kingdom Hall on Sunday mornings. We're united in worshiping and learning :)

How did this happen Pamela? Not that it shouldn't be the "normal" situation for people of all ethnicities to worship together (it's a beautiful thing), but for so long it wasn't often the case. But somehow the Witnesses always seemed marvelously diverse, even forty or more years ago when highly integrated churches were relatively uncommon.

What explains this?

Bill

Bill,

Love. Love for neighbor and brother. Love for our creator (who created us with diversity!). It was said that followers of the Christ would come from all nations and tribes and tongues. We're united in knowledge and love of our God and His Son, Jesus :)

But it really isn't about us. Anything and EVERYTHING is possible with Jehovah God and under the Kingship of Jeus :) Some of the most amazing accounts are those of people with extreme issues (such as people from warring tribes becoming peaceful).

And it's going to get even better. Diversity is good for a lot of things, but not all things. We'll keep the healthy but lose the bad. And the benefits will be far reaching! "But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth, And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace." I cannot wait!

The JWs who've come around to my home have been nothing but friendly. I'm usually out gardening, so the talk often turns to roses, or some such thing.

Oh! This reminded me of a funny thing that happened last summer. I have most of my garden in the front yard, and one day I was working with my favorite tool, a Japanese spade / knife contraption, and I did not hear the JW who had come up the front walk. When one said hello, just behind me, I was startled half out of my wits, gasped and whirled around. The gentleman's eyes immediately went to the spade / knife and he backed a step away. (I felt terrible at this point.) I tried to be warm and apologize, but he simply asked if I had any Spanish speaking neighbors and went away.

On the one hand, I don't like folks to feel threatened on my property, but on the other, I just keep thinkin', that's one handy tool.

Does ethnicity matter for the "religious visitors"?
It makes no difference. I am surprised that you haven't had returns.

How did this happen Pamela? Not that it shouldn't be the "normal" situation for people of all ethnicities to worship together (it's a beautiful thing), but for so long it wasn't often the case. But somehow the Witnesses always seemed marvelously diverse, even forty or more years ago when highly integrated churches were relatively uncommon.

What explains this?

Bill

Well, you didn't ask me... but it occurred to me that we are assigned which congregation to go to based on our location. So you don't end up with a congregation of just one type of people. For example, my parents, my brother, my in-laws and myself all go to different congregations. They all live within 30 minutes of me. It works out better that way as a congregation because we are near each other to help out in emergencies, easier to keep track of, and closer to the people we preach to.

There are more Witnesses than many people realize. I also have friends who live within 10 minutes of me who go to the Spanish congregation. We have 4 of those that I know of that are within 30 minutes of my house, along with a Japanese congregation and a Mandarin congregation. My Grandma lives downtown and goes to yet another congregation, surrounded by more different language congregations and a sign language congregation.

And to complete Pamela's thought: We teach the same thing in over 437 languages. We have over 230 lands with reporting congregations, and more that are "underground".

Edited by Lovedtodeath

BTW, we had an extended thread about this as regards the Witnesses a while back, and my understanding from that was that by taking the literature you are giving them some hope that they may eventually convince you so they will keep coming back.

Well, actually if you accept the literature we actually think that you might be reading it and therefore appreciate more of it. The magazines are published on a monthly basis and often follow current events, so there is always something new. I always enjoyed reading them even when I was not a Witness.

Well, you see... I'd rather they not come back, and I don't want to say something that might make them think they need to come "save my soul" :001_rolleyes: on a more frequent basis.

Actually, according to our beliefs, there are plenty of Christians that would need visits just as much as you would.

There are some beliefs in Christian religions about God and his personality that have turned some people away from religion altogether that are explained in a very different light in the scriptures as a whole. There are people that have been Christians their whole lives that are not happy with the hope their Church has set out before them. Personally, my goal is to help these ones. Many of them will say "I am not interested", "I have my own religion", or "I am a Christian" off the cuff... but once they hear a scripture pertaining to something specific that they are struggling with they become interested.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I'm polite. Sometimes I get into a discussion but not too often. Generally I tell them I'm not interested, that I'm happy with my church.

One thing that is curious to me is that when I say I'm a Christian, the JWs who have come to my door say that they are Christian too but still try to convince me of their theology. If we are all Christians, why do JWs waste their time trying to convert other Christians? Better off going after you atheists! :D But seriously, that has always puzzled me.

The thing is, JWs believe that they are the ONLY true Christians and that teachings of Christendom (which they use this word in a negative context) are of the devil (trinity, hellfire, the Pope for you Catholics). For those of you that seriously do not want them to come to your house, the only thing that will work is to ask to be on their "do not call list". Telling them you are not interested or that you are an atheist etc etc will do no good. Also, a no soliciting sign will not work either because they don't believe that they are soliciting. Lovedtodeath,I just wanted to mention that for quite some time I was one of those who was raised Christian and turned away from God, but I was raised as a JW. It turned me away from loving God for many years. bluecalmsea edited to add: um...why do my posts always squish together? There are supposed to be paragraphs...

They usually come while we're doing school. When I tell them that we're in the middle of school, they very politely apologize for interrupting and go away.

Occasionally they come by at other times. Then I politely tell them that I don't have time right now. I take the literature they push and stick it in the recycle bin.

Lovedtodeath,I just wanted to mention that for quite some time I was one of those who was raised Christian and turned away from God, but I was raised as a JW. It turned me away from loving God for many years.
:grouphug: Yes, I have had experience in that area. :grouphug: My biggest problem is that the high standards make me feel worthless. I have learned to draw closer to my God and not to use men's thoughts to judge myself.

I have also experienced stumbling due to some of the problems that crop up from imperfect man, just as some of the congregations in the first century needed some very strong council. I have been babtized for 20 years and I have been inactive for about half of that time. It has taken time for me to really build my personal faith and not to rely so much on others.

The information that I presented earlier about so many nations and peoples and tribes and tongues all learning the same thing and following the same standards including preaching is what really built my faith in Jehovah's Witnesses. That along with the fact that I have searched for true doctrine elsewhere and haven't found it.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Ouch. Please don't accept it if you have no intention of reading it. The literature costs money to produce and the work is supported entirely by voluntary donations.

Then they need to say please take this only if you are going to read it. Really, they want me to take it and so I do.

Then they need to say please take this only if you are going to read it. Really, they want me to take it and so I do.
I understand. Just be honest and tell them that you will put it in the trash. Then they won't coerce you to take it and they will know not to return to discuss what they left, or bring you more.

That is the chance everyone takes when they hand out literature.

:confused: I suppose. But if I was handing out literature and someone said, 'sure I"ve got the recyle bin right here and I can toss it for you.' I would say, 'oh, that is ok. We will save it for someone who will read it.'

:confused: I suppose. But if I was handing out literature and someone said, 'sure I"ve got the recyle bin right here and I can toss it for you.' I would say, 'oh, that is ok. We will save it for someone who will read it.'

LOL, I only take it to be polite. Why would I say that? Surely, anyone going door-to-door or handing out tracts knows their stuff will be tossed. They are hoping for that small percentage to read it and change their lives. I actually have glanced it over because I have a curious nature. But I'm not going to start blaming people for tossing religious literature they did not ask for from someone they did not invite to their door.

I understand. Just be honest and tell them that you will put it in the trash. Then they won't coerce you to take it and they will know not to return to discuss what they left, or bring you more.

I'm not being dishonest by taking it and then recycling it. I recycle most paper in my house.

I'm usually friendly, but point-blank. I say something like, "I understand why you're doing what you're doing, but I have a strong belief in my own faith and know that no matter how long we might talk, you won't change my mind and I won't change yours." Then I smile, say "Have a great day!" and close the door.

LOL, I only take it to be polite. Why would I say that? Surely, anyone going door-to-door or handing out tracts knows their stuff will be tossed. They are hoping for that small percentage to read it and change their lives. I actually have glanced it over because I have a curious nature. But I'm not going to start blaming people for tossing religious literature they did not ask for from someone they did not invite to their door.
Oh please don't feel blamed. I am sure that is not Scarlett's intention. Of course not every page of all of the literature is read. There is an enormous amount printed. I say if you want to glance over it out of curiousity then go for it! And goodness, I never meant that you were dishonest. I am afraid that there is nothing we can say at this point to avoid offense.

Oh please don't feel blamed. I am sure that is not Scarlett's intention. Of course not every page of all of the literature is read. There is an enormous amount printed. I say if you want to glance over it out of curiousity then go for it! And goodness, I never meant that you were dishonest. I am afraid that there is nothing we can say at this point to avoid offense.

I know she wasn't. I get perplexed at the level of responsibility though that people expect from others. I am nice to the visitors. I don't act rude and tell them to take a hike. I thought that was enough. :001_smile:

I am nice to the visitors. I don't act rude and tell them to take a hike. I thought that was enough. :001_smile:
Well apparently, there are people handing out bottled waters and the like. Why don't you do that? ;) :lol:

I was surprised to see some say that as I have never been offered anything unless it was someone that I had called on before and I was invited in.

Well apparently, there are people handing out bottled waters and the like. Why don't you do that? ;) :lol:

I was surprised to see some say that as I have never been offered anything unless it was someone that I had called on before and I was invited in.

When its hot we offer water to everyone. We had a guy trying to sell us new windows we didn't need during our recent heat wave of 100+. He got a glass of cold water. That's just good manners, like being nice and taking literature. hehe ;)

When its hot we offer water to everyone. We had a guy trying to sell us new windows we didn't need during our recent heat wave of 100+. He got a glass of cold water. That's just good manners, like being nice and taking literature. hehe ;)

TB, I wasn't trying to say you were being dishonest and I wasn't trying to be snarky. Your first post about it mentioned you take it and put it in the recyle bin. I got the impression you didn't even look at it. If you are even glancing it over in mild curiosity-great! I only suggested to you and others that if you have no intention of reading the material don't accept it. Lots of people are very polite while rejecting our literature outright.

I'm sorry if I came across combative.

TB, I wasn't trying to say you were being dishonest and I wasn't trying to be snarky. Your first post about it mentioned you take it and put it in the recyle bin. I got the impression you didn't even look at it. If you are even glancing it over in mild curiosity-great! I only suggested to you and others that if you have no intention of reading the material don't accept it. Lots of people are very polite while rejecting our literature outright.

I'm sorry if I came across combative.

You were fine. I was perplexed but so what. Maybe I'll refuse the flyer next time. I really just never thought about it. They always seem so happy when I take their flyers, and I get more Protestant visitors than JWs.

Edited by True Blue

You were fine. I was perplexed but so what. Maybe I'll refuse the flyer next time. I really just never thought about it. They always seem so happy when I take their flyers, and I get more Christian visitors than JWs.
Just a note that Witnesses have a variety of literature. Some of these are flyers or "tracts" that are printed specifically so that every household in the territory receives a copy. Usually you can tell which those are because that is the way they are presented.

Just a note that Witnesses have a variety of literature. Some of these are flyers or "tracts" that are printed specifically so that every household in the territory receives a copy. Usually you can tell which those are because that is the way they are presented.

Yes, the ones I receive are usually pretty simple.