Menu

Who buys the clothes for your husband?

Who buys your husbands clothes  

1. 1. Who buys your husbands clothes

• I buy them all
    • I buy most but he will shop occasionally (with or without me)
    • half and half
    • He buys most but I will shop occasionally
    • He buys them all
    • other

Dh hates to shop and is spoiled. I have bought all his clothes for the past 10 years. I bring them home and he picks what he likes, I return the rest. He will go shoe shopping about once a year for shoes, which I have to drag or trick him into. ;)

So, while on this yearly trip today, it got me thinking...how many wives do this for their dh?

My DH doesn't love shopping, but he does like to wear what he wants and would not want me to do the shopping for him. We still laugh about a teacher I had in high school who I referred to as, "Mr. Mommy Dressed Me" because he dressed like such a matchy match dork. So I am pretty sure DH would make a joke about that if I started trying to buy his clothes.

We did shop together recently on LandsEnd though. Which does sell, "Mommy dressed me" type clothes, now that I think about it!

Dh hates to shop and is spoiled. I have bought all his clothes for the past 10 years. I bring them home and he picks what he likes, I return the rest. He will go shoe shopping about once a year for shoes, which I have to drag or trick him into. ;)

So, while on this yearly trip today, it got me thinking...how many wives do this for their dh?

I suggest almost all of his clothing purchases because he wouldn't bother if I didn't. However, he won't buy something that isn't comfortable to him (both physically and psychologically) no matter how much I suggest it.

E.g. the man will NOT wear shorts or sandals. Ever. Period. He also won't wear low rise jeans, no matter how much I say it makes his rear view look fantastic. He also does not wear bold, bright colours because he is uncomfortable being noticed too much in public. He's just that kind of shy. I respect that.

My dh has such "issues" with clothes and it drives me BATTY!! He doesn't like certain seams, won't wear turtlenecks, won't wear anything that's long sleeved,e tc,etc,etc. I've finally just given up. I try buying him things, but end up returning them because he won't wear them. He continues wearing clothes with holes! I patch as best I can, but when it becomes obvious, I make him throw them out and make him shop for new (or used).

So, no, I don't shop for him, but wish I could! I love the Land's End "my mommy dressed me" look!! :lol:

I pretty much buy all his clothes, but I don't have to worry about picking a selection and returning what he doesn't like, because it's pretty much Levi's jeans, Dockers, shirts from LL Bean (medium tall, mail order!), the rare dress shirt. That's it. Other family have given him shirts for Christmas over the years (what else does he need? Men are impossible to shop for...), he still has bunches wrapped up. Shopping in the closet.

He does buy his own socks and underwear, though. Okay, I may have bought some on occasion...

I have to tell him to retire clothes and buy new ones, but I would never shop for him. I don't think he'd be very impressed if I did. I remember his comments at receiving a shirt from his sister one year. I thought it was a nice shirt, but he sure didn't! I think I have bought him one shirt in the 7 years we've been together and that's only because it was a Lord of the Rings shirt on special.

OP: I hope your hubby appreciates you doing that. I think it's crazy, but hey, if it keeps both of you happy, it's a system that works!!

:)

Rosie

I have to buy his clothes or he would be n*ked :D. My dh does not care what it looks like as long as it is not pink. He still has some shirts from high school 13 years ago! The only thing he will buy for himself is shoes, and I usually come up with a reason that we need to go into town and just conveniently decide we should stop for shoes while we are there. I don't like to take back 5 pairs of shoes, because all of them say size 12.5, but none of them fit his 12.5 feet. :confused:

I put half and half. That's probably right as far as cost. I buy the most quantity wise. He buys suits, ties and dress shirts which are not frequent purchases, but necessary attire for work. His office is generally casual, but on a regular basis he needs to dress up for work. However, dress clothing lasts longer so he does not need to shop for these things often. I buy his casual slacks, jeans, shirts, underwear, sneakers, etc.

I pretty much do this for all four of us; I hate trying on clothes in the store. It's less a matter of him hating to shop and more a matter of me being in the stores far more often than him. The man lives in button up shirts, t-shirts, and blue jeans, so 95% of his shopping can be done at Walmart or Target!

He generally buys his own shoes.

He buys most of his clothes but asks me for my opinions on things like shirt colors. Yesterday he was packing for a tip and needed me to help match tie, shirt, and jacket. That is because he has slight blue-green color blindness. I don't really want to buy him much because I have a horrible memory for sizes and end up buying the wrong size. If I write it down in a calendar, I normally don't buy anything until I get a new one and forget to transfer the info. His work clothes are uniforms for the most part and I have nothing to do with those normally.

I do not EVER buy clothes for my husband:) He enjoys picking his own things. Honestly, I should probably let him buy MY clothes! I'm sure I'd be much better dressed:D

Now that is a good topic! While my dh isn't terribly interested in his own clothes, he is very good to take along shopping when I buy my clothes. He has a good eye for what looks best on me, fit and colour wise. Of course, he always says, "and, then you just need a pair of really high heels." :lol: The man knows what he likes, I guess!

I buy all his clothes, including his shoes. I order most of his clothes from Lands' End. He wears one or two styles of pants (in a rainbow of colors), one style of jeans, no-iron button-down shirts (coordinating with pants), and T-shirts.

I buy his shoes. He wears Nike tennis shoes (size 10 1/2) and Florsheim dress boots (same style for 20 years), size 10 (these last 5-10 years because he has them re-soled every few years).

Simple. :)

Dh would never get new clothes if I didn't buy them or strongly suggest he go buy some. Well, that's not 100% true - my parents usually give him jeans for Christmas. Which is really a better gift than it sounds - they get them from Lands End, so the inseam is actually right for him, 29".

I generally buy all of his clothes. He will occasionally tell me if he needs more socks or underwear (he washes his socks, underwear, and 'work clothes,' so I don't see those), but that's the only thing he even notices.

I said other, as about half of dh's clothes his family gets him -- mom, dad, or sister. The rest he gets himself or I get him. He still wears clothes from a long time ago. The man has a LOT of clothes. We don't need any more clothes :)

Dh does his own washing and shopping. He even prefers to do the grocery shopping, although he likes me to come along for the company (and i prefer to go alone). For 17 years now, he has been showing me how to grocery shop for bargains, every time, as if he never showed me before. My dh is a shopaholic. (and also a tinsy winsy bit controlling about money :) )

Cooking though- now there's an area he could do his own more often!

My dh buys most of his own. He's a carpenter so his work wardrobe is very casual. Still, he is picky about the fit of his clothes because he's so thin and prefers a certain cut and a few certain brands.

I do pick up some items that I think he might like as I see things on sale. I did get him to update some of his winter items this year. A quick trip to Old Navy and he was set. If he likes a specific item he'll buy 2 or 3 in the same style.

Tap, tap, tap... you have spoiled him rotten.:svengo:..... ;)

I do shop for DH b/c it is easier at times (socks, undies, overalls). However, for big purchases (jeans, dress clothing or shirts for his job) or several clothing needs.... he has to go also & try it all on in the store.

I help him decide, match, and budget... but he has to try them on in the store. I have too much to do to run back & forth with returns. I think I would go nuts.

Hang in there.... :001_smile:

I usually won't buy any pants for him. He likes to pick them out.

I will buy shirts. His office is business casual so he wears pretty much only polo shirts. We get them at the thrift store, in almost new condition, for $4 each. When I go to the thrift store without him I will see if there are any there.

Dawn

Pretty much the only thing that dh has ever buys himself are his work boots. Shirts, jeans, socks, underwear, sleep pants, whatever - I buy those. If I didn't, he'd wear the old stuff until they fell apart. The man does. not. care. about clothing, period. :tongue_smilie:

I do all the shopping for my dh. He is completely color blind (not just red/green - totally color blind), so he would put some really weird things together if I left it to him. I tell him what color things are, what clothes they go with, etc. and he memorizes it. If he forgets he will ask me about matching when he's getting dressed.

I buy most of my dh's clothes. He works 2 jobs and has little time to shop. He is picky, but I think I have almost learned what it is that he likes. I also do lots of resale store shopping and thrift store shopping for the kids and myself. It is easy for me to find him clothes at the same time. I only buy in places that have accept returns though,just in case.

I don't buy his shoes though. Or his socks and underwear.

I chose other. We go together. I might suggest some things or he will ask my opinion. I have occasionally bought dress shirts or something for Christmas, etc. But we shop for clothes together most of the time. He does ask my opinion as far as matching his dress shirts, ties, and dress pants together. He will pick them out then ask me to take a look at them to make sure they look ok together. His biggest thing is he hates to spend money on his clothes. He will wear them until they fall apart and then only wants to pick out the cheap stuff.

Also, his ability to choose his own clothes has improved. I found a picture of him (before he met me) and he was wearing a white turtleneck and a grey cardigan sweater (Mister Rogers type) And he had a beard! :ack2::scared::leaving:

I buy 99% of his clothes and shoes. Because he HATES to shop. But he's also picky, so it can be challenging sometimes.

We did go suit shopping together last week (because, you know it's hard to fit a guy for a suit if he's sitting at home). I loved it, and can't wait to see him in his new duds :D (and secretly, I think he enjoyed it too)

I buy most of his clothes. He likes to clothes shop but I'm much more frugal than he is, and I'm at the stores we shop at more than he is. I can usually find what he likes on sale. Occasionally he'll find a t-shirt he likes and buy it, and he usually picks his shoes.

He buys most of my best clothes too. When I shop for myself I get jeans and t-shirts. He picks out all my favorites though.:001_smile:

I'd prefer it if my husband would let me do his shopping, but we have different opinions on what he should wear. He does like what I pick, and I hate what he picks for himself.

:iagree: Except he wouldn't necessarily like what I pick. I have steered him away from some of what he used to buy for himself.

You know, it has honestly NEVER occurred to me to buy my dh's clothes for him. That's not something I would want anyone doing for me, so it never even entered my mind to do it for him. He was 35 when I met him. So, if he hadn't learned to dress himself by then, that would be pretty sad. :lol:

He buys his own clothes, except I might occasionally buy him something for his birthday. We had both been on our own for quite a while before getting married, so I guess we are both used to clothes shopping on our own. I don't get real fired up about shopping for clothes anyway.

DH does most of his shopping, but since he mostly wears all the same things, he's not too hard to shop for.

For example, he prefers black slacks, pleated waist, preferably something that won't wrinkle. He'll wear khaki for work if I can't find black and he urgently needs new pants (he has a tendency to split the inseam on pants, though since he's been losing weight it seems to be less of an issue). For shirts, it's mostly black, about fifty-fifty Diamondbacks stuff and plain. Polos mostly, always something with a collar except for work, since they make him wear a T-shirt. Which he takes off as soon as he leaves work.

He buys his own shoes, but they're pretty predictably chef's clogs or wingtips. Always black.

He recently has branched out in the types of underwear he'll wear (boxer briefs instead of just briefs) and undershirts (he's decided he likes those stretchy skintight workout shirts that wick away moisture to wear under his T-shirt at work, instead of the mock turtlenecks or longsleeved cotton T's he used to wear) and socks (he now likes bamboo for summer instead of cotton).

I have bought him things that he liked. Such as a black leather trenchcoat I picked up for him when I visited Korea, shortly after we married. He wore it for several years, whenever the temperature dropped below about 80. It's since been displaced by a Dbacks jacket. Black Dbacks pajama pants also proved such a hit that I've had to replace them.

My husband buys most of his clothes but I have bought him a very few items. My mom actually has bought him more clothes than I have. Every Christmas she gets him a nice sweater, and sometimes she gets him clothes just because. She buys clothes for the whole family. I don't really enjoy shopping for clothes, and Grandma likes for all of us to look good. :D

You know, it has honestly NEVER occurred to me to buy my dh's clothes for him. That's not something I would want anyone doing for me, so it never even entered my mind to do it for him. He was 35 when I met him. So, if he hadn't learned to dress himself by then, that would be pretty sad. :lol:

:):):)

We are just the same as you and your hubby. The only reason I put that I do most of his shopping but he does occasionally is because my life doesn't permit me to do it at the moment, but after this season passes, I will be in charge of all the shopping again.

I have to say - my taste is MUCH better than his, anyways, so he's lucky to have me do this. :D Usually if I return anything of his, I exhange it for something for me. So it's a WIN/win situation. :D