Menu

another honesty thread -- sharing refillable drinks

A spin off from the other honesty thread: Do you order one drink for your children to share, and then take advantage of the free refills?

It's getting to be a problem around here. Many of the fast food places have started posting signs about prosecuting people who pay for one drink and share it among two or more people. I've also seen several people ask for a cup for water, then fill it with tea or soda.

Nope, but i'm also the mom drinking from the kids cups with tea because my KIDS want water. I hate paying for water in a kids meal. I like the places that are offering 100% juice now, they will drink that.

I see a bunch of people filling the water cups up though - drives me bonkers.

Right up there with the people at Disney the other day that thought they were too good to pick an aisle and move to the end, nope, we paid all this money and we will sit front and center :glare:

We often get one for hubby and I or two for our three boys, but we never refill them when we choose to do this. I simply don't feel we need such large drinks per person. I haven't seen any signs anywhere around here prohibiting this, but I can understand wanting to put a stop to the refill part.

At sit down restaurants we simply order water - most of the time. At food courts (in malls) we tend to bring our own drinks (kept in a cooler in our van, then brought in when we want to eat). Prices places charge on drinks are outrageous - AND I don't want as much as they give - esp if it's soda.

We usually drink water -and if we ever erroneously filled it with soda, then t gets dumped and refilled with water (some of the fountains are hard to figure out which s water!!).

I hate paying for soda -or having my kids drink soda. However, once in a blue moon we do get a soda. To share. Free refills and all. We usually end up refilling once or twice since most of us don't care for soda anymore. But yeah, a refill is a refill.....

Nope, but i'm also the mom drinking from the kids cups with tea because my KIDS want water. I hate paying for water in a kids meal. I like the places that are offering 100% juice now, they will drink that.

I do this too. I paid for it, so I'll drink it. LOL! Otherwise, we don't share. I also do not take home sugar packets or ketchup if we are not going to use it for our meal. I have been with friends who grabbed sugar because they were out of it at home. sigh.

Lesley

The kids' meals all come with a drink. I usually will get just one giant drink for DH and me to share. Although, since I usually drink diet, DH usually shares with a kid (no refils) and I take the kids' drink.

Dawn

No, I've never done this. There have been times before when my husband drank soda (he hasn't in three years) that I would have a sip of his to cure my longing for the taste of soda without drinking an entire calorie-laden drink. But, we would never get a refill.

I usually also don't even let my kids get refills unless we're on a trip because it's just too much soda.

My Soninlaw used to be a manager at a Salad Bar restaurant..all you can eat kind of place. The drinks were extra, but water was free.

If you paid for a drink, you got one color glass, if you chose water, you got a different color glass.

People would blantantly fill up the water glass with their choice of soda or tea. The worst tho was when the staff would check up on them and see if they needed anything as part of their job and the offenders would ask the staff to refill their water drink with soda.

My SIL says he would just look at them and smile and say I can refill that with water for you!

This reminds me of when I used to wait tables in college. I worked the midnight shift. We would get groups of teenagers in, usually 15 or 20 at a time and they would always order 15-20 waters with extra lemon and then pour a ton of sugar into it. And then an order of fries for the table. I know it would drive the management crazy. But I always thought it was thrifty and perfectly legal. The lemons don't cost the management much money and the kids never caused any trouble - just looking for a place to sit and chat. So I'd usually just bring a bowl of cut lemons for the table.

I always drink water (or coffee) when we go out. But I would not allow drink sharing or ordering water and getting a drink instead.

We would not do that. The only "rearrangement" we ever have done is, if a child ordered a meal which came with a drink, dh or I might consume the child's beverage. This done only because the beverage would be a soft drink (soda), and until they hit their teens, none of our children would drink carbonated beverages.

One restaurant around here has an odd reversal of sorts. If I walk into this restaurant to order carry-out, I sit on one of the "lobby" chairs to wait for the food. Often an employee will offer me a glass and encourage me to procure myself a drink (soda/lemonade) from the dispenser to drink while I am waiting. This is at no charge !

This reminds me of when I used to wait tables in college. I worked the midnight shift. We would get groups of teenagers in, usually 15 or 20 at a time and they would always order 15-20 waters with extra lemon and then pour a ton of sugar into it. And then an order of fries for the table. I know it would drive the management crazy. But I always thought it was thrifty and perfectly legal. The lemons don't cost the management much money and the kids never caused any trouble - just looking for a place to sit and chat. So I'd usually just bring a bowl of cut lemons for the table.

I always drink water (or coffee) when we go out. But I would not allow drink sharing or ordering water and getting a drink instead.

Umm, I do that. I'll order water with lemons and then use a sugar packet to make lemonaide. I never looked at it as being dishonest.

There's one local fast food place which we visit fairly often because they have cheap and relatively nutritious food. I don't like to use my debit card on the drive thru, so I'll go in even when we're not going to eat in. The various cashiers will often give us an extra soda cup; when I try to give it back because I didn't pay for it, they'll say something like, "It's on us today."

I wish! My little one backwashes and my older refuses to drink after him (so do I!), so I can't really justify making them share.

DH and I would do it! A refill is a refill. I am also the kind of person who will get a sweet tea from McDonalds and then drink it all and just before I leave, fill it back up again to take with me. Free refills - I am not sure what is wrong with me filling my drink again. Also, if dh and I share the drink and I get a refill, what is wrong with that exactly? I would likely have refilled it anyway...

Let's think this way too...If I buy a tea for $1.59 and drink one glass, was that really worth $1.59? Do you think the restaurant pays $1.59 for that one glass of tea? Absolutely not! Restaurants make their money on drinks...even places like McDonalds. You pay 20 cents for a cup of water or $1.59 for a cup of soda that is mostly ice. Sorry...I just don't see refills or sharing as stealing at all.

Edited by Tree House Academy

I don't let mine drink soda, but dd5 flatly refuses to drink/eat after anyone anyway. Even if the toddler has cookies, and I offer her one, she''ll ask, "Has her mouth been on it?"

To answer your orginal question- No. I don't do it.

Edited by Blessedfamily

DH and I would do it! A refill is a refill. I am also the kind of person who will get a sweet tea from McDonalds and then drink it all and just before I leave, fill it back up again to take with me. Free refills - I am not sure what is wrong with me filling my drink again. Also, if dh and I share the drink and I get a refill, what is wrong with that exactly? I would likely have refilled it anyway...

Let's think this way too...If I buy a tea for $1.59 and drink one glass, was that really worth $1.59? Do you think the restaurant pays $1.59 for that one glass of tea? Absolutely not! Restaurants make their money on drinks...even places like McDonalds. You pay 20 cents for a cup of water or $1.59 for a cup of soda that is mostly ice. Sorry...I just don't see refills or sharing as stealing at all.

I feel this way also. We usually let the kids get soda when we're out because we don't let them have it at home. My dh usually gets water, but will drink a few sips of my ds's just for the taste. I often get a kid's meal because it is plenty of food for me, so I get a drink. If I don't get that I will drink water.

My dd doesn't drink much at a meal. I will sometimes get her drink cup and fill it up to take with me. I feel that we paid for refills and should get them no matter who drinks them.

We always share at amusement parks. We'll get the biggest and share because the prices are SO ridiculous.

I wish! My little one backwashes and my older refuses to drink after him (so do I!), so I can't really justify making them share.

:iagree:

There are always going to be extremes and people who really take advantage. But I imagine that the establishment has taken this into account. I don't see anything wrong with two kids or two adults sharing a drink and getting a refill - it's advertised "free refills".

I see a bunch of people filling the water cups up though - drives me bonkers.

Right up there with the people at Disney the other day that thought they were too good to pick an aisle and move to the end, nope, we paid all this money and we will sit front and center :glare:

You can request milk at no extra charge. I always do on the few occasions we do fast food and I've never been refused.

We live close to 3 McDonald's. The one that is near 2 high schools has taken out the water option and the water cups, and you must purchase bottled water if you wish to get water from them.

Other McDonald's restaurants have signs asking you not to bring in your old cup & refill it. That especially seems to be an issue when the McD is in a mall or a hospital or somewhere that employees may visit daily.

I don't blame them for trying to curb the problem. I'd rather they do that than some of the restaurants who just took out the free refill part altogether & went back to filling drinks behind the counter. I enjoy my $1.30 Diet Cokes with lots of refills!

I know restaurants make a large profit from the soda, but in order to stay competitive, that's just how they balance their profits between the food & beverages. Everyone does it that way, so if they were to balance it out and charge more for food & less for soda, they'd probably lose business. I look at the "total package" rather than the drink prices.

There is a lot implied in the words of "free refills". It is the restaurants confidence in public trust to honor the meaning behind it which you do seem to know but rationalize away to your own benefit. If a restaurant has to spell out the meanings to their offerings, they would run out of wall space. Put yourself in the owner's shoes and think again. Would you let your kids get away with twisting the rules of your home? Same idea. Sharing refills is stealing.

No, we do not. Like others have said, if you cannot afford it, don't go out to eat. For me though, it is more about choosing the drink water and not so much soda. Also like others though, if the kids meal comes with a drink we will get the juice. After that, it is water.

I never really thought that my kids sharing a drink may not be honest.

If we go to a fast food place, we always get combos or kid's meals, so everyone gets their own drink - with the exception of Krystal. My girls get the combo with 4 Krystals, fries, and a drink and they share. I tell the cashier that they're going to share the combo, and they have never had a problem with that. In fact, they usually offer me an extra cup. Even though I would let them get at least one cup of soda, they always choose lemonade or Hi-C, and hardly ever drink enough to need a refill.

When we go to a nicer restaurant, we always order water. Those sodas will really run up your bill! The exception to this would be if we're having breakfast, then I'll usually let them get juice or milk.

-Angie

We do this all the time and I don't have a problem with it. However, I don't go overboard. We get a large drink and usually only refill it 1x, which is what an average person does even if they don't share. So I don't feel I am taking anymore than my share of drink.

If I went up for refill after refill, I think that would be wrong.

Michelle

There are always going to be extremes and people who really take advantage. But I imagine that the establishment has taken this into account. I don't see anything wrong with two kids or two adults sharing a drink and getting a refill - it's advertised "free refills".

i agree. there is an incredible mark up on fountain drinks. however, i usually order water and would absolutely, positively NEVER get soda instead. to me that is stealing.

one other thing, if a place has free refills i only allow my son to order a small. i point out if he wants more he can get up and get more. in the long run, i think this amounts to him drinking less soda as we either run out of time or he's too lazy to bother to get more!

Edited by Deidre in GA

Sharing refills is stealing.

Huh?

This thread is honestly (haha) puzzling me. Maybe it's because the only kinds of places with "free refills" that I've seen have been restaurants that offer you more coffee or water (not on pop or juice and such) ... but I totally don't get this. :001_huh:

If I pay for a Diet Pepsi, it's now MINE - I can do whatever I want with it. If that purchase includes a second cup of Diet Pepsi, that second filling is also MINE and I can do whatever I want with it. Drink it, blow bubbles in it, share it with a friend, give it to a stranger, pour it over my head if I'm so inclined. I paid for it, why should anyone have any say as to what I now do with it?

Ever shop at a buy1 get1free sale? You pay for one pair of flip flops and get another for free. So... I give the second pair to my friend for a present - am I now considered to have stolen from the store? Seems like the very same thing -- Buy a pop, get a refill free. Buy red flipflops, get blue flipflops for free.

Now, telling a cashier that you're just getting water from the fountain machine and then slyly getting pop instead, that's different. You didn't pay for the pop.

A spin off from the other honesty thread: Do you order one drink for your children to share, and then take advantage of the free refills?

It's getting to be a problem around here. Many of the fast food places have started posting signs about prosecuting people who pay for one drink and share it among two or more people. I've also seen several people ask for a cup for water, then fill it with tea or soda.

I've seen lots of people ask for a water cup and then fill it with soda.

We do one of two things: either we all get and pay for a separate cup or if they are sharing, no refills allowed.

We get everyone their own drink at restaurants, but at theme parks we get two souvenir cups and share. We don't get refills of soda though, only water. IMO we don't need that much soda.

I don't see a problem with sharing soda refills at theme parks in the souvenir cups. There you are paying for the refills; they are not free. Now, we don't even bother with getting the souvenir cup. Dollywood, our pretty close by park, will give free cups of ice water at any location that has drinks. We just get out own free ice cold water when thirsty. Of course, this is the friendliest park on the planet.:D

If I pay for a Diet Pepsi, it's now MINE - I can do whatever I want with it. If that purchase includes a second cup of Diet Pepsi, that second filling is also MINE and I can do whatever I want with it. Drink it, blow bubbles in it, share it with a friend, give it to a stranger, pour it over my head if I'm so inclined. I paid for it, why should anyone have any say as to what I now do with it?

Ever shop at a buy1 get1free sale? You pay for one pair of flip flops and get another for free. So... I give the second pair to my friend for a present - am I now considered to have stolen from the store? Seems like the very same thing -- Buy a pop, get a refill free. Buy red flipflops, get blue flipflops for free.

Now, telling a cashier that you're just getting water from the fountain machine and then slyly getting pop instead, that's different. You didn't pay for the pop.

This is where we are also.

Now if I get a small drink and refill it 6 times to share w/ my 5 kids, I think that would be a bit overboard. ;)

i do think a lot depends on house rules: each store considers the effect w/ a broad brush as well. Is it worth it to let that family come in every week and get too many refills? Are we making enough on that weekly visit to cover that suppose offense?

At my house, letting neighborhood kids pick the flowers is happily expected, not stealing. At other houses, the owners flip if a stranger picks the flowers.

It simply depends on the owner's preference.

usually tho, we get individual small drinks for each kid.

Huh?

This thread is honestly (haha) puzzling me. Maybe it's because the only kinds of places with "free refills" that I've seen have been restaurants that offer you more coffee or water (not on pop or juice and such) ... but I totally don't get this. :001_huh:

If we go to a fast food place, which we seldom do, then I have no problem drinking off the kids' cups or all of us sharing a big drink. Granted, I'm not going to get a small drink and refill it over and over and over, but I have no problem with drink sharing....

If it's wrong to share drinks with refills, is it wrong to just share drinks? Wondering if the milkshake for two is no longer a sweet thing, just a devious underhanded way of making theft more pallatable.

If it's wrong to share drinks with refills, is it wrong to just share drinks? Wondering if the milkshake for two is no longer a sweet thing, just a devious underhanded way of making theft more pallatable.

I don't think there's anything wrong w/ sharing a single mega biggie drink [or other item] w/ 5 people, it's the refilling a smaller drink several times that is in question. If the milkshake came w/ free refills and y'all refilled it, I'm betting it would lose its sweetness in some people's eyes ;)

I don't think there's anything wrong w/ sharing a single mega biggie drink [or other item] w/ 5 people, it's the refilling a smaller drink several times that is in question. If the milkshake came w/ free refills and y'all refilled it, I'm betting it would lose its sweetness in some people's eyes ;)

I meant for the people that think sharing refills is wrong, period. If it's wrong to share refills, because you are supposed to pay for separate drinks, then isn't it wrong to share any drinks? I mean, if you share a bottled water, you just stole a sale from that poor company!

(C'mon Peek, work with me here)

When dh and I go to a fast food place we often share a drink. When we go to a sit down place generally I just get water and he drinks a coke. We don't share there.

I usually get my kids their own drink because they don't play nice together! :tongue_smilie: Sometimes when we go to the mall to eat, I bring and extra sippy cup. I buy the gigantic lemonade from Chick Fil A and split it between them.

I don't think of it as stealing. Sometimes we never refill a free refill drink. Other times we do. They are making their money off the base price of the drink and the fact that we are purchasing a meal. If a fast food place had a problem with me sharing a drink with my dh, I probably would quit going there.

I meant for the people that think sharing refills is wrong, period. If it's wrong to share refills, because you are supposed to pay for separate drinks, then isn't it wrong to share any drinks? I mean, if you share a bottled water, you just stole a sale from that poor company!

(C'mon Peek, work with me here)

yeah, yeah, I know, I know.....:tongue_smilie:

:lurk5:

Huh?

:lol: I love this! You crack me up!:tongue_smilie:

My DH and I share drinks at the movie theater. We usually get the combo (popcorn and a large drink) and then share them both. Our theater gives one free refill with purchase. Sometimes we get the refill during the movie sometimes after, before we go home. I don't consider it wrong. Not when we just paid $8 for about $2.00 worth of snacks.

Huh?

If I pay for a Diet Pepsi, it's now MINE - I can do whatever I want with it. If that purchase includes a second cup of Diet Pepsi, that second filling is also MINE and I can do whatever I want with it...

Ever shop at a buy1 get1free sale? You pay for one pair of flip flops and get another for free. So... I give the second pair to my friend for a present - am I now considered to have stolen from the store? ....

Now wait a minute- you've got me thinking. :001_huh: I see your points fivetails and lionfamily.

(I'm thinking out loud here)

-- If I buy one drink or any other food item, I can share it. No problem. :001_smile:

-- But if the restaurant explicity posts that sharing drinks isn't allowed, I would consider that like an all you can eat buffet- no sharing period. :blink:

-- Maybe the restaurant is offering free refills to the original purchaser only, like Peek said? :blink:

:willy_nilly:

OK, I got it! :w00t:

If you buy a single drink, you may share. As fivetails said, you paid for it. But since the refill is free, you didn't pay for it, we are only offering it free to the original purchaser. The department store may not care what you do with the buy 1 get1 free sweater, but we do. We're only giving it to you free under these terms. Didn't you read the contract on the greasy front door?

How's that? :tongue_smilie:

My brain exploded pulling that one out.

Edited by Blessedfamily

Huh?

It is the same principle as going to an all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant and having two people eat off one plate (only paying for one) and keep going back to the buffet and filling the plate up. I guess since the price is lower, people seem to think it is okay. :001_huh:

It is the same principle as going to an all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant and having two people eat off one plate (only paying for one) and keep going back to the buffet and filling the plate up. I guess since the price is lower, people seem to think it is okay. :001_huh:

I see no difference whatsoever.