Menu

I haven't noticed painted toenails, but I have seen quite a few guys with fingernails painted black. They usually have those hole things in their earlobes or spiked dog collars around their necks, though. I haven't noticed painted nails on any guys who dress more conservatively.

I was in line at Petsmart....and noticed a guy in front of me with painted toenails....they were painted with a very dark color....

Is this the new thing?

I wonder he's just being EMO?? :confused:

http://www.shoutmouth.com/index.php/docs/Emo_Fashion:_Your_Basic_Guide_to_Looking_Emo

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=EMO&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=

I don't know about men, but one day I was walking down the hallway between dressing rooms. It was summer, and all the ladies were standing in their bare feet - I was looking under the doors for an empty room. I was the only woman without painted toenails. I felt almost naked.

Janet

Kind of gross! Men need man feet ... not girl feet. Perhaps they shouldn't look like those of a Hobbit... but still those of a guy.

I can't imagine my Paw-Paw picking cotton & plowing with the mule in the old LIberty overalls & painted toe nails.:lol:

I saw this and had to jump in! My husband LOVES to get pedicures, but doesn't have his toes painted. He does it to avoid getting crud on his heels. Gotta love my man with soft feet:)

Of course, dh won't tell my father, a former football coach, who says that more men need to get in touch with their masculine side....

I didn't think that nail polish came with gender restrictions. Besides, my dh let my girls paint his toenails once or twice. My ds has let girls paint his nails. The reasons for the nail polish might not be something you could make a generalization about. I don't personally like dark nail polish on anybody, but nobody ever asks me about whether or not they should wear nail polish.

Don't look at me. I keep trying to tell the lead singer for Greenday that he's older than me and therefore TOO old for all that dark eyeliner. I'm not sure he's getting my message through my tv though.

ha ha ha I just told dh that same thing today!! And thanks to Billie Joe, I had to tell my 13 yr old that no, I don't care its the last day of co-op, you're NOT wearing liner & fingernail polish.

Hes a really good kid, wants to make mom & dad happy, respectful & protective to siblings, even reads tinkerbell chapters to 6 yr old when mom can't but why does he have to think black hair, eyeliner & fingernail polish is cool? :tongue_smilie:

I hope not, but this would fall under my classification of

A SLAVE TO FASHION!:001_huh: Man feet...uck, gag sputter should not be accentuated.

I was in line at Petsmart....and noticed a guy in front of me with painted toenails....they were painted with a very dark color....

Is this the new thing?

My 5 yr old painted my DH's toenails once. (All it took was..."Please Daddy!"...he couldn't resist.)

He didn't know we didn't have any remover at home, either! But, he though no one would notice because it was winter and he always wore socks/shoes.

But then he went on a business trip, and his associates all went to the pool/spa one night.... and they've never let him live it down. :lol:

Hummm that's a new one to me...being close to san francisco I guess if they are "light in the loafters" maybe it is a subtle way to send out a message....

No polish for boys in this house... they run at the sight of it! Now the girls..... that is a whole other story...more like how many colors can be put on.... 10!

When I was about 8 or 10 years old, I was at some sort of Bible club meeting held by a child evangelist*. And his fingernails were all painted a dark color. It looked like black. This would have been about 1970 -- long before metrosexuals or goth. It really weirded me out. I still wonder -- why???!!!

This guy went to our church, and our "corporate culture" called for guys all with short hair and wearing ties, women all wearing below-the-knee skirts. A man could probably have been put out of the church for wearing an earing or a tatoo. Goodness, even facial hair would have been shocking!

So I have no idea why this guy wore dark fingernails to Bible club that day.

If it wasn't fingernail polish, what on earth else would it have been?

ETA: *The child evangelist was an ADULT to ministered to children, not a child who was an evangelist!!

Edited by Cindyg

My 12.5yo LOVES that look as well! He is growing out the front/top of his hair to have an "emo" haircut like Adam Lambert's. But I told him there will be no jet black dye (ds is blonde), guyliner, or nail polish.

I also told him I think the guyliner and nail polish is for an "onstage" look; these guys don't go around like that in everyday life, do they?

Wendi

Is this the new thing?

It's just...creepy. What is with men wanting to look like women? Ew. Stay out of our make-up. Stay out of our nail salons. Stay out of our underwear drawers.

I see it once in a while. But I also live in a neck of the woods nicknamed "Boys' Town." Today I saw Steve (aka: "Cathy") wearing bright red toenail polish. And heels. And a short denim skirt. And pink sunglasses and bright lipstick. Carrying a purse.

I see men getting pedi's at the nail salon now and then. It doesn't bother me much. Too many men have nasty, gnarly feet. I'm *trying* to persuade DH to try it, but he's not having it. A friend's DH does it once in a while. He started doing it when my friend was sick with a brain tumor, and her medication didn't allow her to drive. So as long as he was taking her to the nail salon, he sat in the chair next to her (but he skipped the polish).

Interesting thread!

I see it once in a while. But I also live in a neck of the woods nicknamed "Boys' Town." Today I saw Steve (aka: "Cathy") wearing bright red toenail polish. And heels. And a short denim skirt. And pink sunglasses and bright lipstick. Carrying a purse.

I see men getting pedi's at the nail salon now and then. It doesn't bother me much. Too many men have nasty, gnarly feet. I'm *trying* to persuade DH to try it, but he's not having it. A friend's DH does it once in a while. He started doing it when my friend was sick with a brain tumor, and her medication didn't allow her to drive. So as long as he was taking her to the nail salon, he sat in the chair next to her (but he skipped the polish).

Interesting thread!

I see you are in Chicago! You were my sister's neighbor a couple years ago. She loved living there!

I only WISH my dh would get a pedicure!!! :lol: Maybe then I wouldn't be so disgusted by FEET! Now, if he wanted to wear nail polish or eye liner, I don't think I could handle it. But, a pedicure? Sure!! Soft feet against mine at night - GREAT!!!

My 5 yr old painted my DH's toenails once. (All it took was..."Please Daddy!"...he couldn't resist.)

He didn't know we didn't have any remover at home, either! But, he though no one would notice because it was winter and he always wore socks/shoes.

But then he went on a business trip, and his associates all went to the pool/spa one night.... and they've never let him live it down. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Oh man!! That's just too funny in a tragic kind of way! LOL Poor guy!

• 1 year later...

I haven't meet too many teenage males that would turn down their girlfriend painting their toe nails. I have also met many a father who had a hard time turning down their young dds. Personally I am quite impressed with a man that is secure enough in his masculinity to agree to something so trivial simply for the sake of pleasing his girls (be they girlfriends, wives or daughters).

I've only seen it done at the gym. There was this really intimidating cro-magnon type fighter with painted black toenails. He was explaining that it was a courtesy to other fighters to disguise "flaws". It was a pet peeve of his to train or fight people with unkept, poorly cared for, ugly, or diseased toe nails.

• 2 months later...
Guest but3leftsdo

I wonder how many of you naysaying ladies own and wear jeans and other traditionally male garments? How many of you sport tattoos (even small ones)? Why is that acceptable and a man painting his toenails is considered strange?

I am a 54 yr old grandfather with a home-schooled 9 yr old son at home (two families). I am a solid conservative Christian man who loves his wife exclusively, and I have no weird sexual predilections. I am an engineer, deacon in my church, and Cub-master. Would it surprise any of you to learn that I have been wearing my toenails painted with color for the last 3 years, and openly at that? I do it because I like the way it looks. Since I was a teenager I have admired how women who take good care of their feet many times top it off with color, and how really nice it looks. I always wondered what it would be like, but was deterred by biased societal norms that allow for double standards that favor women.

That was until my niece wanted to paint my nails at a family party just before her wedding. I had foot surgery a few months before and had just had a pedicure (as part of my therapy), so my feet looked nice without the polish. But when she painted a nice dark maroon color on my nails, it was like WOW! My wife even said WOW! It really looked nice. It was then that I realized that there was really nothing wrong with it. Guys feet, if we take care of them can look as nice as or, in some cases better than ladies feet. And it doesn't mean we're gay, emo, goth, or any other epithets that society wants to pin on us.

I get regular pedicures. I got hooked when I was having therapy, and I will continue to wear color openly. When I do I often get really positive comments, specially from women. As a matter of fact, in the three years I have been doing it I have only had one negative comment, and that was from a young lady that was obviously jealous of the fact that my feet looked better than hers. Guys either don't notice or are afraid to say anything.

Painting ones toenails, whether you are male or female, is no big deal. It's only paint, and it comes off, try doing that with a tattoo. It is a cosmetic thing and in my case has absolutely nothing to do with my sexual or societal orientation. As I said before, it just looks nice. And what is wrong with someone doing something harmless that makes them feel good? It doesn't change who I am and how I view things. I am comfortable with who I am, and don't much care what anyone thinks, but will take the opportunity to try and educate folks who are closed minded on the subject, and that is what this forum is about anyway, isn't it?

PS. I wear kilts too.

Edited by but3leftsdo

I wonder how many of you naysaying ladies own and wear jeans and other traditionally male garments? How many of you sport tattoos (even small ones)? Why is that acceptable and a man painting his toenails is considered strange?

I am a 54 yr old grandfather with a home-schooled 9 yr old son at home (two families). I am a solid conservative Christian man who loves his wife exclusively, and I have no weird sexual predilections. I am an engineer, deacon in my church, and Cub-master. Would it surprise any of you to learn that I have been wearing my toenails painted with color for the last 3 years, and openly at that? I do it because I like the way it looks. Since I was a teenager I have admired how women who take good care of their feet many times top it off with color, and how really nice it looks. I always wondered what it would be like, but was deterred by biased societal norms that allow for double standards that favor women.

That was until my niece wanted to paint my nails at a family party just before her wedding. I had foot surgery a few months before and had just had a pedicure (as part of my therapy), so my feet looked nice without the polish. But when she painted a nice dark maroon color on my nails, it was like WOW! My wife even said WOW! It really looked nice. It was then that I realized that there was really nothing wrong with it. Guys feet, if we take care of them can look as nice as or, in some cases better than ladies feet. And it doesn't mean we're gay, emo, goth, or any other epithets that society wants to pin on us.

I get regular pedicures. I got hooked when I was having therapy, and I will continue to wear color openly. When I do I often get really positive comments, specially from women. As a matter of fact, in the three years I have been doing it I have only had one negative comment, and that was from a young lady that was obviously jealous of the fact that my feet looked better than hers. Guys either don't notice or are afraid to say anything.

Painting ones toenails, whether you are male or female, is no big deal. It's only paint, and it comes off, try doing that with a tattoo. It is a cosmetic thing and in my case has absolutely nothing to do with my sexual or societal orientation. As I said before, it just looks nice. And what is wrong with someone doing something harmless that makes them feel good? It doesn't change who I am and how I view things. I am comfortable with who I am, and don't much care what anyone thinks, but will take the opportunity to try and educate folks who are closed minded on the subject, and that is what this forum is about anyway, isn't it?

PS. I wear kilts too.

I also want to say that I think that people should do what they want, as long as it's not immoral, so bravo to you for being brave enough to wear your polish. Who am I to judge (after all I have a nose ring. ;))

It's just not "my" thing on guys.

My DH let my' (then 3 yr old') DD paint his toenails bright sparkly pink' (her favorite color')

because it was winter and he thought...I'll have socks and shoes on so no one will know.

Unfortunately, he forgot about it later that week when he went on a business trip, and he decided to take advantage of the hotel's pool & hot tub.

His co-workers had a field day w/ it. :lol:

Guest but3leftsdo
It's just not "my" thing on guys.

No problem. I think we can all respect each others choices, even though we may not necessarily agree with them.

I actually tried to get my 15yo ds to get a pedicure this past weekend because the rest of us (all females) were doing it and I didn't want him to be bored. And even though I told him that didn't mean he had to get them painted, he wouldn't go for it. So no, I don't think it's that big in the male world...yet.

PS. I wear kilts too.

Good for you! :thumbup:

It's just...creepy. What is with men wanting to look like women? Ew. Stay out of our make-up. Stay out of our nail salons. Stay out of our underwear drawers.

What is up with women looking like men? I agree 100% with but3leftsdo. It's all so stupid, IMO. Women paint, pluck, shave, etc. and make ourselves as fake as all get out yet that is normal; a guy does it and it's weird.