Menu

What age did/would you let your DD go 'strapless'

My 12 yr dd has a friend who wears A LOT of strapless tops, she is also 12 and has a BODY- does not look 12!! Since being friends with this girl, who otherwise is great, also hs'd, good family, etc- my dd is wanting to wear more revealing clothes.

My oldest who is 14 never really wants to wear anything like that, my 12 yr old is rather petite, skinny, and not busty. I don't think it is appropriate for a girl to wear something like that so young, am I in the dark?:001_huh:

Fortunately we haven't had to cross that bridge. My 13 yo wore cute tops that had spaghetti straps when she was 11/12. She doesn't like the strapless look and think she's afraid of a wardrobe malfunction anyway. :eek:

My almost 15yo wouldn't be caught dead in anything less than short sleeves, so no problem there. phew! :D

My dh says either 30, or after he's dead, which ever happens last. :lol:

I agree with you. Completely inappropriate for a 12 yo. I honestly don't have a clue what age WOULD be appropriate, because laughter aside, I kinda like dh's answer...although I'm far more lenient than he, and would say, 21 or married, which ever happens last. :D

Never.

OK, well, maybe that's unrealistic. Not 12. I want to say in college, when I don't know about it. I suppose sometime in high school we'll be reviewing this. I wouldn't agree to tube tops, but perhaps some formal dresses over age 16 at least.

A 12 year old is still getting used to a changing body and still learning issues of modesty and does not know much (I hope) about sexuality so for me revealing clothing at that age would be a no.

At what age is this appropriate ? Family views are going to vary on this. My own opinion is that such garb never is appropriate. I always feel particularly sad when I see a young woman enter a church for her own wedding, preparing to make serious vows in front of God, while semi-clad in a strapless wedding gown.

For us, it depends on the specific outfit and the girl. Some things that look cute on an undeveloped, slender girl would look outrageously slutty on an older girl with curves.

One of our favorite outfits my daughter wore when she was 7/8 was a halter top. It matched a skort that was probably mid-thigh length. It looked like she was ready to hit the tennis courts when she wore this outfit. However, it didn't look sexy in the least...not on her anyway.

Now there is tons of clothing out there that I would never allow my daughter to wear. For example, she's not allowed to wear short skirts or pants with words across the butt. We haven't come across a sleeveless top that we would buy but we do allow spaghetti strap tank tops (the latter will probably be out of the question once bras are needed). There's tons of clothing I see on girls that I think is ridiculous and completely inappropriate for that girl.

My husband is the most modest man I've ever known. Heck, he's more modest than many women I know. I tend to think I'm somewhat conservative but I judge clothing based on what daddy would think. With this group, it appears that we are not even close to conservative. LOL

I don't feel strapless clothing is appropriate at ANY age.

:iagree: But my oldest dd is trying to push the envelope with her ideas of what an appropriate neckline is, etc. so we've had some interesting conversations about this very thing, lately! Someone made the "when you live in your own house...." comment. That very line has been coming out of my mouth, too.

Sheri :)

My DD is only 5, and I have what I feel are fairly reasonable rules of what is appropriate for her to wear. No very short shorts or skirts, no midriff showing, and at least cap sleeves on shirts. This has only been a point of contention when I make her layer a t-shirt under some of the things DH's stepmom has bought DD, such as a tank top.

I myself feel most comfortable in a very modest mode of dress, but once DD is in her teens I will probably give her a good deal of free reign...salted with much discussion of what what she's wearing says about her, her intentions in wearing it, etc. As a teen I pretty much lived in jeans and T-shirts, interspersed with a big sweater-and-leggings phase.

I wouldn't have allowed my dds to go strapless, even with a light jacket or cardigan or whatnot over it. *I* don't even go strapless, except once long ago when I went to Hawaii, and it was appropriate, KWIM?

But no, no strapless goings-on here.

Personally, we don't even let our daughter wear tank tops out in public, let alone strapless ones. She is about to be 12. We talk a lot about modesty and appropriate dress. I think it is important to teach that they can wear stylish clothes that become them without "going there"

My DH has an interesting comment about women's attire. He observed to me that what catches a man's eye is often the perception of access. So things like strapless tops and open back shirts.

I would vote no on strapless. Seems like this is as good a time as any to reenforce the idea that what is done by friends isn't necessarily going to be ok for your family.

I might also consider a gentle word at some point with the other girl or her mom. It may be that they haven't quite realized how much she has blossomed. I would hate to have a young teen becoming someone that young men were hovering over.

I would consider digging a little deeper with your dd about "why" she wants to go strapless. What look is she hoping for? Does she think that this will help her to look cool or pretty or popular? Once you have answers to these then I think it would be easier for you to address why this wouldn't be appropriate attire for her.

Well, I have a couple of strapless, well-fitting dresses that I wear. One of my motives when wearing them is to ensure I'm going to "get some" when I get home. :D

So, at 12... yeah... no question that it's not appropriate.

At what age is this appropriate ? Family views are going to vary on this. My own opinion is that such garb never is appropriate. I always feel particularly sad when I see a young woman enter a church for her own wedding, preparing to make serious vows in front of God, while semi-clad in a strapless wedding gown.

:iagree:

It was frustrating for me to see a recent Focus on the Family ad featuring a bride in a strapless gown.

Strapless, tight, low-cut, etc. - it's not for me or my daughters.

Just my $0.02.

GardenMom

Another "never" here.

If she wants strapless lingerie for her wedding night and after, I'm all for it. But, until then, I want people to see what a wonderful person she is, not how much skin she can show. (I'll assume that her future dh will already know what a wonderful woman she is.)

My SIL wore a strapless dress in her wedding. About a year or so later she told me that she regretted it. She said she hated that she was going to have to look at that strapless dress for the rest of her life. She doesn't wear strapless or spaghetti straps anymore for modesty reasons.

My girls won't wear strapless or spaghetti straps. They definately won't wear those backless shirts - my boys call those "mud flaps!:lol:

I think that is too young for a strapless dress. I think it is too young for spaghetti straps, even. I allow spaghetti straps on formals for young women, not little girls. And I would allow my older daughter to wear a strapless formal if she had her heart set on it, but I would be clucking my tongue and telling her horror stories about the dress falling down the whole time. Fortunately we have not had this be an issue. I made a lovely gown with spaghetti straps for my oldest daughter when she was on the homecoming court. My middle daughter once chose a pattern for a strapless gown with a bolero for a band event because she loved the style of the gown. I simply added straps, which were hidden by the bolero.

You can be elegant and modest at the same time. I will give a little on formals because I understand that showing your shoulders at a formal is not inappropriate, but at 12? No way, no how.

Speaking of church this same girl that my dd is friends with wears strapless tops to church, church gatherings, etc. I do not want my dd to think that is acceptable.

I expect that in all situations our dc will face other families that have a different set of values/rules. As is in your case with dd's friend, this would be a time that you would have to tell your dd your family's beliefs about modesty. In churches or even among Christians, there is a wide variety of modesty beliefs (pants or no pants debate being one of them??). So this is a tough one since you don't want your dd to be judgmental towards her friend but still accept your family's belief system in this area. And I don't have dc that age yet so I'm not sure what they know about lust and issues related to that. Modesty relates to those issues and it may be worth reviewing w/your dd if it is age appropriate. So far I've only had to defend my beliefs in regards to pierced ears with my dd and we've already had many conversations about different families have different rules, etc. I'm not looking forward to the situation you describe but I'm sure I'll be there some day.

There's a difference between acting "judgmental" and speaking the truth in love. There is no reason the OP's daughter couldn't explain to her friend that she isn't wearing a strapless shirt because it exposes too much skin and her parents don't feel it is modest enough. That to me is being a light. Saying "you look like a tramp by exposing yourself like that" is very different.

Strapless sends a message to guys. They know what it means. The girl doesn't always know what it means, but the guy does.

If he picks up on the message, the girl has trouble on her hands. If she never intended that message and swats him away, that's good as far as it goes, but it's better not to tempt the guys in the first place: safer for her, and more considerate to them.

Your dd may not have a figure now, but she will soon, and besides, if she is palling around with well-endowed-in-strapless friend, if she goes strapless too, they together will be sending the same message.

Less well-endowed is not without its charms. She may be your little girl but the outside world sees what she is growing into.

I'm not a prude. Figures are great and sexual attraction is meant to occur in its time and place. But dd's beauty has power to do harm and to do good, to herself and to others, and she needs you to teach her and protect her so she can save the intimate secrets of her beauty for that one special man some day, in private.

Premature experiences and relationships are just going to damage her, and exposing too much now is a quick path to those experiences and relationships.

Thanks for asking and for thinking about it on your daughter's behalf.

Oh my...I didn't realize I was such a harlet. I wear strapless shirts because I like the way they feel. Nothing to do with showing skin, as all it shows is my shoulders. I would not wear them to church or work, but out to run errands or around the house, yes. I have no cleavage in them. DH doesn't think it is inappropriate for me to wear them. On DD it would be like everything else: what it covered and didn't, where she would be when she wore it, and who may be exposed to it. Around the house, no problem. Anywhere else, it would depend on a lot of other factors. Of course, we do let DD wear tanks too.

To make this type of thing simpler for us all around, dh has some rules about clothing. He wouldn't allow that. We don't allow spaghetti straps, bikinis, super-tight clothing, or short shorts...we also say no to the dark-looking clothing (I can't describe it well, but know it when I see it). Dd is very much the fashionista...her ps friends and homeschool friends say so, how put-together she always is. She really does dress cute! We have found ways to help her be as fashionable as she wants while keeping things covered and staying within some boundaries I typically want to see things on her before I will okay them. Some things just "look" provacative when they wouldn't on a hanger. She put together an outfit the other day of a strapless top with a wide-strapped tank underneath. It should have been appropriate, but something about it just wasn't. I nixed it. She is okay, for the most part, because I allow her to be creative with the things that we do allow, and she is allowed to be bright and fun. We too have a couple of friends that, at times, influence her clothing in ways we don't like. We just have to say no to her on those items.

I'm sort of torn on this. I wouldn't have my daughter wearing strapless stuff but yet I remember running around in tube tops when I was around 8 and 9. I think back in the 70's the difference was cultural. A tube wasn't a sexually loaded piece of clothing just something convienient to wear with an old pair of shorts and your ratty summer sneakers so you could be a little cooler when running around the cow fields or climbing trees on a day with nice breezes.

In a different time, I'd say they're fine. Now, I'm not sure.

No need to go calling yourself names -- I don't think anyone here is. There just happen to be women here who deem them inappropriate -- I'm sure you can find just as many who find no fault with them. That's the way it is with most things -- books, movies, experiences, etc.

My husband and 19 year old would say that it reveals too much of a woman's body to be appropriate. Since they are men who strive to be honoring in their thought life regarding women, I trust their judgment on these things.

Oh my...I didn't realize I was such a harlet. I wear strapless shirts because I like the way they feel. Nothing to do with showing skin, as all it shows is my shoulders. I would not wear them to church or work, but out to run errands or around the house, yes. I have no cleavage in them. DH doesn't think it is inappropriate for me to wear them. On DD it would be like everything else: what it covered and didn't, where she would be when she wore it, and who may be exposed to it. Around the house, no problem. Anywhere else, it would depend on a lot of other factors. Of course, we do let DD wear tanks too.

As a mother of a 13 year old BOY I appreciate the moms who insist their daughters cover up. It is very very hard to tell him not to look etc... when it is out there for all to see. Seriously at this rate the kid will never look up. :tongue_smilie:

These

are the one's I wear...I have a black one and one with blue flowers. They are so comfy and rest on my chest so I show no cleavage. That is hard because even v-necks tend to show my cleavage. I hate stuff around my neck, can't wear it.

Maybe it is the way I was raised too. Tube tops, spaghetti straps, all that was just what we wore. Maybe that is why I can't handle anything near my neck.

Only appropriate if you're in a bridal party and the bride has spoken. :glare:

I would have passed then :glare:

OP: Never. My girls don't even go sleeveless unless there is a top under it or a cardigan over it. In those cases they either work as a jumper or provide the skirt and part of the shirt part of an outfit...the second piece covering the shoulders and arms.

Strapless looks like someone just wrapped a towel around themselves...sorry, that is just my opinion.

Edited by mommaduck

Well I think those are perfectly fine to wear....why wouldn't they be? I don't understand what the big deal is of showing your shoulders..... I would definitely wear those.... but I wear a lot of that type of thing also....and like you....that is just what I wear. I live in south Florida...and it gets HOT here....the less I can wear the better, LOL.

When we have threads where people are talking about no tank tops or shorts, I always wonder if they live where it is a humid 100 degrees half of the year.

I have lived where it was over 100degrees MOST of the year...and still wasn't permitted to go sleeveless and no shorts. I was fine in skirts/kulottes and regular tops. Actually, you can stay COOLER in those clothes than you can having the sun directly hitting your skin.