Menu

New baby: what do you need?

athomeontheprairie

I was finished having kids after #4. I got rid of everything. Then 3 weeks after I donated the last of it to the pregnancy center.... we found out #5 will be arriving soon.
I have nothing (well, that's not quite true, as I've started to order stuff. But i started with nothing)

Help me remember: what do I NEED?

What are the absolute must haves?

What did you have that you loved and made life easier?
What did you have that you thought was a waste of money?

This is hard to answer without knowing your parenting preferences. For example, do you plan to co-sleep or will you need a crib?

But the answer is the same either way : a place for baby to sleep.

And to answer your question. realistically, both. I've never intended to co-sleep, but found that I don't function well at 3am, and it's easy to nurse in bed.

I have bought a small crib and mattress. That is the intended sleeping spot. But history tells us it won't be the ONLY sleeping spot.

• Like 1

For me diapers, wipes and an ergo carrier are the top things. No one slept in baby beds or sat in bouncy play things or drank bottles or had pacis. Clothes are good too. Honestly you can do without a lot of stuff they sell for babies. Ergo carrier was the very best money I ever spent.

• Like 1

A way to carry baby, be it a sling, a wrap, an ergo...  This is my one "must have" item.  

Some kind of diapers

something to feed the baby

some clothes

A car seat if you have a car

a stroller if you walk a lot or have found one useful in the past.  We don't have a car, so I think I can say without exaggeration that my stroller has well over 1000 miles on it.  It is a very important item of baby gear for us.

I don't personally think swings or pacifiers are necessary, but that's my parenting style.  

If you nurse, I found Glamourmom nursing tanks to be a must-have.  I know other people prefer nursing bras, but I literally lived in my glamourmoms for 12-18 months per kiddo.  I managed it with only three of the tanks... just did a lot of laundry...

For me, that's pretty much it.  

Oh wait!  Burp cloths! 

• Like 1

diapers....cloth or disposable

baby wipes

if you'll be nursing, that can save on bottles, formula, etc.  If not, you need those things.  Nursing cover is a nice to have.  If not nursing, buy a cabbage and put the leaves in the freezer.  

We never used a baby bathtub, but you probably want baby shampoo/wash.

We never did pacifiers.

I love the newborn sleeping gowns for boys and girls.

I love onesies.

Safe car seat, appropriate for an infant.

Stroller or sling.

For me diapers, wipes and an ergo carrier are the top things. No one slept in baby beds or sat in bouncy play things or drank bottles or had pacis. Clothes are good too. Honestly you can do without a lot of stuff they sell for babies. Ergo carrier was the very best money I ever spent.

I used my ergo until it literally wore out when kid 3 was around 18 months.  (waist buckle broke... now I know why there is a safety loop!).  I replaced it the very next day with a similar carrier made in Germany because I could not imagine going one single day without it!

Congrats!

Let's see.

You definitely need diapers.

Also, a carrier of some sort is a good idea - I'd go with a sling and either a wrap or a SSC such as an Ergo.

Diapers.

A car seat - that may be a legal requirement even if you don't own a car. We borrowed one, because we didn't have a car.

Diapers.

Clothes of some sort, I suppose.

Maternity pads.

Coupons for free pizza.

Diapers.

Some library books to read while nursing.

A helping hand.

Oh, and diapers.

DIAPERS.

Car seat is number one. Diapers, wipes, onesies and receiving blankets. These seem to be the things my grandson used a LOT in those first few months.

We also liked the grow bag nightie more than sleepers in the first few months because diaper changes were easier.

Edited by FaithManor

I've either bought or am planning to buy a cosleeper, a convertible carseat, a Moby wrap, cloth diapers/wipes, one of those baby seats that rocks and plays music, a stroller, a couple receiving blankets, pacifiers, a breast pump, nipple cream, pads, a baby tub (because our tub is older and they can leach lead) and plenty of comfy clothes. I might pick more stuff up later on, but that's what I'm going to have on hand from day one. Its been nine years since I had a baby around so hopefully I have everything covered. I've been compiling baby gear lists and crossing off anything I don't need, and this is what I've come up with.

Congrats!

ETA: Oh yeah, and a Boppy. Can't forget the Boppy. :)

Edited by Mergath

Newborn clothing. My babies have all been on the smaller side, and really needed it for at least a little while. With #4 (you'd think I'd have learned by that point), I totally forgot that NB and 0-3 month aren't the same thing. I had a ton of 0-3 month clothing but no NB. And then that baby ended up being the smallest of all, and actually had to run out and find preemie clothing. I think it was 2 months before we used the 0-3m clothing.

But I know a lot of people have babies big enough that they never fit NB clothing.

I'm kind of hit or miss on cloth diapers in general, but consider them an essential during the first few weeks when they poop constantly - I have a hard time with the idea of throwing away a diaper I put on 30 seconds ago. But I know other people are the other way around - they're fine dealing with cloth diapers later, but don't want the extra laundry with a newborn.

Some sort of carrier. I usually use a sling at first, and an upright carrier later. This time we got a Beco Gemini, which can be used with smaller babies, but ended up switching to an Ergo because I really wanted something with a pocket to hold diapers and stuff, so as not to need to carry a separate bag for shorter outings. I'm still occasionally using it with the "baby" who is now 3.

Somewhere safe to set the baby down.

Car seat.

Nursing bras (or nursing-compatible bras).

Some babies I've used a stroller a ton (either for the baby, or for an older sibling), others not.

Receiving blankets are useful, but, contrary to popular statement, it is entirely possible to have too many of them. 

I love the newborn sleeping gowns for boys and girls.

Yes, I would have been happy with gowns and nothing else for the first few months. Pajamas are cute, but much more difficult to manage for diaper changes.

I was finished having kids after #4. I got rid of everything. Then 3 weeks after I donated the last of it to the pregnancy center.... we found out #5 will be arriving soon.

I have nothing (well, that's not quite true, as I've started to order stuff. But i started with nothing)

Help me remember: what do I NEED?

What are the absolute must haves?

What did you have that you loved and made life easier?

What did you have that you thought was a waste of money?

wow - do I hear you.  I kept stuff for a DECADE.  and then I got rid of it. including all my hardly used (because I'd bought new ones) cloth diapers. . . . . that was in march. . . I got pg in May.

the nightgowns with elastic.  I *loved* them.  so much easier for nighttime diaper changes. . . and cause I got rid of all my diapers, I felt no guilt going to paper.

undershirts - not really in the summer - unless you just put them in a diaper and undershirt on a hot day.

still need cloth diapers for spitting.  I'd also put them under baby.

flannel blankets. - loved them.

car seat - infant with a carry handle/ stay in the car base.

stroller - easy to put up and down

I hated the baby bjorn and hardly used it.  killed my back.

diaper/tote bag for carrying supplies.

baby wipes

I nursed - really didn't need bottles stuff. 

nursing  pads.  lots of nursing pads.

desitin 

baby bath/shampoo

baby brush/comb.  (mine all had full heads of hair)

I love a changing table - so i can stand up,  but a bin/basket to hold diaper supplies is really all you *need*.

wow - do I hear you.  I kept stuff for a DECADE.  and then I got rid of it. including all my hardly used (because I'd bought new ones) cloth diapers. . . . . that was in march. . . I got pg in May.

So glad it isn't just me. Congrats!

I love a changing table - so i can stand up,  but a bin/basket to hold diaper supplies is really all you *need*.

With #1 my fil made us a dresser/changing table. It converts. I still have that in the boys room. It's the only item that will have made it through all 5 kids. And is the only thing I still had (and then because it was a "full" dresser that was in use)

a cradle swing is a life saver--if your baby likes it! One of mine would only ever sleep if he was swinging. Others really didn't care for the swing.

Things I really like:

Mam pacifiers

Light weight linen swaddling blankets

Onesies for summer or sleepers for winter--mostly size 9 month and up because my babies are gigantic and grow faster than sunflower stalks

Huggies diapers--I 've tried cloth and can't keep up. Huggies stretch nicely and fit my ridiculously chubby babes

That's about it for me. I cosleep so no crib. Don't use a changing table either.

A decent stroller is nice. And of course a carseat.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

I thought I had a routine with my babies, but I've really been so different with each of them.  So, something for the basics: sleep, eat, diapers, clothes, carseat, and, for me, baby carrier of some kind.  Otherwise, nothing.  I have intentionally gotten rid of most of what I have because, after 6 kids, it's fairly worn.  We do intend to have more, though.  My plan is to just put back a little money at a time, so I don't have to feel guilty about getting what I want when the time comes.  I'd suggest you just get the bare minimum, then squirrel away some so when you are awake at 3am with a newborn, and find you really wanted a pacifier with flowers on it (or whatever), you can order it on amazon prime and be happy in 2 days. :)

• Like 1

Congrats!

Sleepers, onesies for warm weather, a few hats, a few baby socks, soft shoes for when they start pulling off their socks when it's cold

Wipes, diapers, maybe a wipes warmer

Bag or something to carry a few supplies and water bottles

Comfortable place for feeding baby, some sort of burp cloths if you have a spitter, nursing bras and pads

Car seat

Sling and wrap. I like a sling for quick carrying, a stretchy wrap for newborns, a woven wrap for older babies, an Ergo for back carrying a toddler or older baby, and a mei tai for variety.

Somewhere safe for baby to sleep.

And um, maybe some cute fun clothes. Should we have another girl, DD and I will need to keep from buying out the entire Carter's outlet. Hehe.

I'll be the dissenting voice on the gowns for newborns. HATED them with a capital H. Summer babies get onesies, winter get footed sleepers. I also loved the long sleeve onesies with matching pants.

I had to have a seat for them. I liked the boppy swing. But i'm sure there is a new even better one out there.

Swaddling wraps. 

I'm the type who rather not do laundry daily, so week supply of nursing bras (I leak terribly, plus babies have great aim, and several of mine had reflex), nursing tops, clothes for the baby.

IF I had a surprise pregnancy  :leaving: , I would get an arms reach co-sleeper. I always regret not getting one.

I love a good stroller. Depends on your lifestyle, but I liked the one you clip the infant car seat into. I had the double on for my twins. I bought it used on craigslist for like $25 and used it for 6 mos. Then I got an inglesina twin. (I had one of their singles with my oldest, super light, portable and comfy for baby.)

I hated the baby bjorn and hardly used it.  killed my back.

That's because those things are badly designed and do not properly support and redistribute your child's weight. A nice Ergo would work much better, plus have buckles for those who like buckles instead of knots.

• Like 1

I'll be the dissenting voice on the gowns for newborns. HATED them with a capital H. Summer babies get onesies, winter get footed sleepers. I also loved the long sleeve onesies with matching pants.

I can't stand the gowns either. They bunch up too easily.

Onesies and sleepers here :)

My favorites were made of terry cloth.

• Like 1

I had to have a seat for them. I liked the boppy swing. But i'm sure there is a new even better one out there.

Swaddling wraps.

I'm the type who rather not do laundry daily, so week supply of nursing bras (I leak terribly, plus babies have great aim, and several of mine had reflex), nursing tops, clothes for the baby.

IF I had a surprise pregnancy :leaving: , I would get an arms reach co-sleeper. I always regret not getting one.

I love a good stroller. Depends on your lifestyle, but I liked the one you clip the infant car seat into. I had the double on for my twins. I bought it used on craigslist for like $25 and used it for 6 mos. Then I got an inglesina twin. (I had one of their singles with my oldest, super light, portable and comfy for baby.)

No I hated gowns too! They just rode up thru the night. I like sleeper better.

• Like 1

I loved gowns with my first, and put her in them all the time.  When I had my next girl, I was so excited about how cute she would be in gowns and bought a lot.  She turned out to be a fat, solid baby who looked silly, and very uncomfortable in them!  

Edited by Guinevere

The things I actually used and needed this time:

Nursing bra (the soft sleep kind to start with)

Nursing tank (target brand, not walmart brand)

nursing pads

diapers

wipes

diaper ointment

gripe water

burp cloths - I also use these to absorb milk at night as I refuse to sleep in a bra. 

pacifiers of various types...this baby prefers tommee tippee

pack and play or bassinet or whatever

bouncy seat (the kind you can use for a newborn so you can pee or make some food or whatever)

car seat

carrier...either a Lillebaby complete (can use without an infant insert) or soft wrap (I think Boba wrap is easiest)

edited to add:

diaper bag (I LOVE my 31 Bags bag..it's perfect)

onsies and if it's a girl those cute rompers that babies r us sells

gowns for sleeping (my kids have big feet so footed sleepers don't fit)

blankets 

Edited by ktgrok

I can't stand the gowns either. They bunch up too easily.

Onesies and sleepers here :)

My favorites were made of terry cloth.

For whatever reason I also have a special place in my heart for terry cloth sleepers. My daughter had a thick Carter's one in pink stripes, with little sheep going across the front... Sigh.  :)

No I hated gowns too! They just rode up thru the night. I like sleeper better.

Yep. Babies sleep better with toasty feet! (IMHO) 

• Like 1

Funny story:

My mom can't sleep with anything on her feet--it's a sensory thing I guess.

And because she doesn't like things on her feet she assumed her babies did not want anything on their feet either.

So she always cut the feet off of any baby sleepers that had feet.

I remember getting hand me downs for my life size baby doll that had the feet cut off :)

• Like 2

I think so too, but my babies all have huge feet, and don't fit in the sleepers! And if I put them in one bigger than they need they end up pulling up a leg and getting all tangled. Sigh. I would have liked ONE Of them to fit in sleepers!

SaveSave

• Like 2

I'm glad I asked this. There are some things on this list I hadn't considered needing, but definitely do (nursing bras/pads as an example). Things I really just forgot about

Ha! I listed it here because I forgot about them too! Someone on this board reminded me :)

A good baby carrier is the number one. I loved the ring sling because I could feed in it and adjust for sleep or wake positions.

Pram if you want one for a longer day out.

Good nursing bras

Safe sleeping environment of your choice.

Nappies

Wipes

Decent big bag for nappies and wipes

Baby bath or small trough

Loads of small soft flannels and burp cloths

12 soft grow suits

Loads of washing powder!

There's so much good stuff second hand for newborns now because lots of people only have a couple of kids and the stuff is worn for such a short time.

Optional but a good adjustable lamp for night time feeds so you can read if you want without keeping baby awake

pumping bra if applicable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00295MQLU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I own but it has two zippers, not one like pictured.

Baby bottle brush/nipple brush

I like these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007I6WOLM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Simba-Sponge-Nipple-Brush-Orange/dp/B00LMM9BMS/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1498350666&sr=1-1&keywords=simba+nipple+brush

Drying rack. I like this one because it was good for both pumping parts and bottles:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002A9JCVW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought it twice! lol One for my house, one for my parents' house

Baby bathtub. We got this one. Mainly liked that we could hang it. One bathroom and no storage:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JBYNKWG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cushion for knees at bathtub. We found a very plush one on clearance at Target. (not a NEED now but came in handy a lot. I use a cheaper thinner one at my parents' home).

If you choose to use a pack n play, for either sleep or naps, I highly recommend a sheet for it. Can just toss sheet in washer that way. I like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KZH692/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like these swaddles:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016LSUE6O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keep an eye on them, the prices seem to change. They also make a premie size.

Obviously, you don't need all these items, but might remind you of something you need/want. :)

I'm in a similar situation. I've decided we will be minimalists this time. It's nice to splurge on your first baby with stuff you may reuse, but I have no interest in buying stuff for one baby when I remember how briefly we use it.

So- my to do list includes:

crib- we got that

pack n play/co-sleeper- we got that

swing

diapers

wipes

baby carrier

car seat

some clothes; maybe 10 outfits per age with some extra sleepers and gowns for puking in

maybe a breast pump and pads

That's all I'm planning for now. If anything else comes up we'll get it as we go but I'm hoping to keep it minimal. I don't even want a stroller. We have 4 older kids-that's lots of people to pass baby off to, I hate strollers, and we can use baby carriers/slings. 

ETA: I think I may need a boppy or body pillow to help with nursing.

Edited by Paige
  • Like 2

Oh and if you do want to get a baby carrier... I would suggest you try some on first. See if there's a lending library in your area or maybe a store that will let you try on. Every person is different. I own a Lillebaby All Seasons (no infant insert required) and a Kinderpack (standard toddler). Both are part mesh. I tried an Ergo knockoff and did not like the back panel was so low. I only knew it was a knockoff because of the stitching. The one I tried was also all canvas which is really hot. The ones I own are also ergonomic. If you have a maternity jacket, hang onto it for babywearing. I bundled us up over the carrier. (LOL).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/gothicpunker/public/ergoknockoff_zpskyucchw3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/gothicpunker/public/lillebaby_necksupport_zpslryymrvl.jpg

(this one had a neck support feature I liked)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/gothicpunker/public/toddlercarry_zpsg0dqzcjk.jpg

I had a 9.5 yr gap between my last two! So I know what it is like to have nothing left. What was absolutely necessary for me: 

Pack N play with the bassinet top. Baby slept in the bassinet top in our room for about 5 months. After that she moved to the bottom part of the pnp in our room. It was great because when we traveled she was used to the PNP because it was her bed from home. No need for a crib for us. 

Car seat obviously. :)

some type of swaddle with velcro. Total lifesaver!! We never heard of these with the older kids and tried to swaddle with swaddle blankets. The velcro swaddles were amazing!!! 

Moby Wrap. Lived hands free in mine!! So much easier taking all of the kids in places with baby in the Moby than trying to hold a stroller in and out of places. And baby liked it better. 

ETA... I forgot Boppy. It is a total backsaver for nursing. We still use ours with the 3 yr old when she nurses in the rocking chair. 

Edited by 2_girls_mommy

I'm in the same boat, starting over. Yard sales and the local swap list are awesome!!!

Here is my must get list

GEAR:

Car seat, you can try to skip the carrier and just do the convertible

Place to sleep, we have a Co sleeper and I had kept the crib which we can side car if necessary.

Place to sit baby down while you cook, swing, bouncer, rock n play. These are everywhere used.

PnP if you need one

Sling or baby carrier (I had kept 2 slings, still want a Tula or Liliebaby)

Stroller if you will use one

Monitor if you will be outside while baby sleeps

Baby bath if you use one

LITTLE THINGS

Sheets for sleeping space

Boppy covers, I like to have 2

Pump if you nurse, a cheap handheld will do

Swaddle blankets, I'd say at least 4 but I use them for everything

Diaper caddy, basket, ect.

Diaper pail if using cloth also a pail liner

Nail clippers

CLOTHES

4 gowns (I prefer them for night changes)

6 sleepers in each size newborn, 0-3, 3-6. 6 is a minimum, I'd prefer more but I'm trying to keep it simple, baby will wear sleepers most days, I'm not messing with outfits, just sleepers until crawling. Onesies for a summer baby would work, too.

MISC

Cloth diapers, trying to keep it to 24. I just started buying

Wipes

Burp clothes, I like prefolds, or I use homemade flannel ones or even receiving blankets. I use one each feeding the first several weeks, I leak a lot while nursing.

Waterproof pad to sleep on due to leaking

2 nursing bras to start, will get another one or two after 6 weeks if needed

Nursing pads

PP pads

I'm looking at this thing that catches leaked milk while you nurse on one side. I may get one if I can find a deal on it.

Teething gel, tylenol, lotion, ect.

Teether and a few toys just because ;)

Big blanket for playing on

STUFF FOR LATER

High Chair, want by 3 to 4 months

Excersaucer entertainer jumpy thing, I want a small one, need by 4 months

No wonder I feel like baby stuff is taking over my home! I've been able to get most items gently used for a fraction of the cost. I've got those for later items on my Christmas list. I do plan to nurse and cloth diaper, do those things are specific to that.

Congrats!

Let's see.

You definitely need diapers.

Also, a carrier of some sort is a good idea - I'd go with a sling and either a wrap or a SSC such as an Ergo.

Diapers.

A car seat - that may be a legal requirement even if you don't own a car. We borrowed one, because we didn't have a car.

Diapers.

Clothes of some sort, I suppose.

Maternity pads.

Coupons for free pizza.

Diapers.

Some library books to read while nursing.

A helping hand.

Oh, and diapers.

DIAPERS.

And paper plates!

• Like 1

Most of this I had, but I did have to buy a bunch too.

I bought a Rubbermaid 3-drawer storage thingy. Top drawer was newborn sized clothes, Middle drawer was 3-6 months. Bottom drawer was 6-9 months. I bought nearly all of it used. As she out grew items I decided to keep or not and put in appropriate bag in the closet. When a drawer is empty, I go to the next drawer and start looking for the next size at used stores for that bottom drawer. Geez. She has grown fast. She was wearing 12 mo sizes by 6 months old.

Some Aden&Anise receiving blankets. (2 multi packs)

A couple thicker knit blankets of the same size.

2 packages of prefold cloth diapers to use as burp cloths.

1-2 flannel bed protectors, each cut into 4 squares and used as pee proof diaper pads.

A case of baby wipes from Costco

4 cases newborn diapers.

2 cases size 1 diapers

A bassinet styled stroller was used the first 3-4 months when I wasn't sleeping in bed with baby and was super easy to roll from room to room even over steps to/from my living room

A diaper bag. I bought a Lily Bloom tote that doubles as my purse. Way cheaper than diapers bags and I loves it.

Infant bucket car seat. I adore my chico keyfit30. Super easy to get in and out of the van.

Basic med stuff. Thermometer. Butt cream. Saline drops for stuffy nose & nose aspirator.

Eta: I'm a minimalist or just cheap pending POV. I prefer to buy just what I need as I need it. More often than not, I end up discovering I don't need things everyone else says moms need.

Edited by Murphy101

A stash of cloth diapers and wipe rags

A sling and/or Asian-style baby carrier

Assorted baby T-shirts and a couple of sleep gowns or zip up bag sleeper

Lansinoh

A good pump and bottles if you have to work out of the home, or formula and bottles if you cannot breastfeed.

A firm mattress for cosleeping

A rear to front convertible carseat

A blanket for laying baby on floor for tummy time

A diaper bag. I preferred a regular backpack for this.

Edited by Ravin

I love a lot of the ideas, but didn't see the one thing I used about everyday. It was an infant car seat that you set in a stroller. I loved not having to wake a sleeping baby when I needed to go to the store/ library/ wherever.

Congrats!!!

Nursing stool--maybe not essential, but in addition to being supportive if you nurse, it's also supportive if you have a reflux baby that just needs to be upright a lot while sleeping in arms. Stool + boppy = much easier to support a fussy or sick baby. I love the suggestion up thread to have some kind of light to read while nursing. 

Extra covers for a boppy if you use a boppy. 

Waterproof pads (various sizes--can go into carseats and such if baby tends to leak or is sick, large ones can go between sheet sets on a crib mattress for quick changes if baby spits up or wets through, etc. You can put one under your mattress pad in case your water breaks in bed. You can put one under the boppy cover for spills, drips, spit-up, or poop accidents. (Can you tell my kids spit-up or had lots of blowouts?)

If you use cloth diapers:

• You might want to get some septic safe diaper liners. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Imse-Vimse-Flushable-Liner-count/dp/B0009A3I5K  If they are wet vs. pooped, they actually make it through the wash cycle. You can take them out and line dry them to reuse.
  • Extra receiving blankets cut up to make excellent wipes for cloth diapering. 
  • Wet bag for when you are out of the house

A few toys that attach to a carseat/stroller if you are out and about much. 

I have a very short torso, and a lot of achy joints, so I couldn't do a baby carrier. A play dome (Fisher Price) and a GOOD bouncy seat saved my bacon. I don't know if the Fisher Price play domes are the same now, and they were fussy to find, but mine could fold, and I used it on trips, going to visit friends, etc. until mine were too big for it. It was a great way to put them down for a nap if we couldn't be at home. 

For me, truthfully:

Breasts

Diapers (preferably cloth) and wipes (also preferably cloth)

Some type of carrier (moby wrap or similar for nb stage, Ergo for later)

Clothing items (Kickee pants footies for the newborn stage)

Kickee swaddle blanket just for a light blanket

Heavier blanket if needed for colder house or weather

Good car seat