Menu

Why would you choose NOT to do AAS?

wehave8

I did two levels of AAS and I thought the program was very good.  We switched to Logic of English Essentials because it had a quicker pace and it was easier for me to do with multiple children. After completing that we moved on to a dictation program.  I still would highly recommend AAS; it just wasn't the best match for our situation at the time.

We did the first two levels. We aren't continuing at this time because

1. we found it tedious and slow

2. DD naturally understands phonics rules and didn't need such explicit instruction

3. it was more of a time commitment than we wanted for spelling, especially given #2

• Like 2

I tried it, but I needed a workbook component to hand over to dd especially when I was running short of time or she was in an uncooperative mood (and I believe in having her continue to do her spelling even if she doesn't want to, barring illness or something like that--you can't send an uncooperative child to her room to stay there until she's finished with AAS).  All the pieces to keep up with.  I lived in eternal fear of dropping the box of cards.  When we were doing it, I had a 3 year old (see above too many pieces to keep up with--she always wanted to play with the tiles.)  People have their children write out the words, but see above with uncooperative child, as well as a child who didn't like to write.  It's a great program for many people though.  

We started out using it and dropped it because 1) the tiles were despised by dd and 2) the program was frustrating to her. She would learn phonograms, but would inevitably choose the wrong phonogram to use in a word because so much of spelling is visual. For example, there are multiple phonograms that make the long e sound, but you just have to know which one to use in a word. You can't always use rules to determine that. It wasn't worth the fight especially when I could understand her frustration so I moved her to a spelling program that worked on that visual memory and broke words into chunks which is how I spell. I am firmly in the camp of believing that O-G based programs are stellar for learning to read (used LOE myself for my middle child), but not always great for spelling.

• Like 11

It wasn't out yet when I began HSing.  I started with SWR, and it was not a match for my ds. I tried several other Spalding and O-G things b/c I knew he was dyslexic and these were supposed to be the best for dyselxics, right?

AAS  is very expensive, especially when you consider all of the levels you have to buy.

AAS is time-intensive.

AAS has tiles that some people love, others detest.  (My child needed letter manipulatives in high-sensory, 3D form anyway...sandpaper/playdoh.)

AAS is yet another version of O-G...if the first 3 versions didn't work, why waste time and $ on a 4th????

My ds needed something very different from the core philosophy.  We found Apples & Pears...and while that is still not a perfect fit for him, it took us much closer to finding that perfect fit.  My dd10 still uses Apples & Pears.

AAS/AAR is a great system for many kids, but that level of intensity is not necessary or the best fit for all (as with anything else).  For kids that are natural spellers, it probably really isn't even necessary.  For parents that have multiple kids it can be a huge challenge to implement.  It is also expensive.  Still a great program, though, and for some kids it may be the only thing that really unlocks critical concepts in spelling/reading.  Especially for kids that do terrible with site words, and don't naturally pick up on phonics, this program can be a HUGE help.

I bought it, set it up, tried it for a few days, but we hated it. I bought it to remediate spelling for my older ds, who was 9 or 10 at the time.

First, too many bits. I bought the recommended size magnetic whiteboard, cut out and set up all the magnets, set up file card boxes and it just seemed like overkill.

Second, too mom intensive for me. 

Third, too babyish for my son. I did it as scripted, and it really bothered him. He felt like was back to little kid phonics lessons. He needed intensive spelling instruction, but AAS just seemed very dumbed down.

Lastly, I didn't want to take him through a bunch of levels just to get him up to speed in spelling.

I know that lots of people love AAS, but I didn't care for it at all, and neither did my son. I don't think AAS offers anything special that can't be found in less expensive, less parent intensive programs. I think if I'd used it from the start, and gotten to know it well enough to streamline it and make it fit us, then things might have been different. But trying to use it to remediate spelling with an older child who could read but not spell just didn't work for us. If I was going to do it again (and I won't), I would ditch the magnets first.

• Like 1

Too expensive and too many parts for what you get. Tiles can be added to any spelling course if desired.

There are some fabulous free and inexpensive phonics programs out there, For spelling Rod and Staff's Spelling by Sound and Structure has been an efficient, inexpensive, and super easy to use course for my kids with a wide range of spelling abilities.

• Like 2

I only used Level 1 with the cards and tiles. After that, we just used the teaching book and a white board. It was much cheaper and much less frustrating without all the bits and pieces.

We write the words and dictation sentences in a composition book. Easy peasy.

• Like 1

I used levels 1, 2, and part of 3 with oldest dd who has spelling troubles spelling.  She hated the tiles.  She learned the phonograms fine, but there started being so many exceptions to the "rules" to be memorized that she became very frustrated.  It's too visual for her.  She also disliked that fact that AAS had her spelling very simple words and not the words she actually wanted to write---it was too slow.  And after using it regularly her spelling for the lessons was fine but her overall spelling was not improving.

Trouble was---she was spelling phonetically, but choosing the wrong phononemes.  So she would sound out a word and write it as it sounded like it should be spelled.  Perfect sense, right?  Except that there are many ways to spell some sounds. So, you could sound out her writing fine, but it wasn't spelled correctly.  AAS did not fix this issue at all.  The need for more advanced words probably contributed to this.

This child is currently using Apples and Pears.  It seems to be working, so we will stick with it. 

Her younger brother benefited most from copywork, studied dictation, and occasional correction when he misspelled a word.  AAS was totally the wrong approach for him---it drew too much attention to the phonemes.  He needed to know (and understand) that spelling is not an exact sound by sound recording of the words we hear, but symbols that represent those words.  Once he understood that, spelling was much easier for him. 

We did the first two levels. We aren't continuing at this time because

1. we found it tedious and slow

2. DD naturally understands phonics rules and didn't need such explicit instruction

3. it was more of a time commitment than we wanted for spelling, especially given #2

This.

We started out using it and dropped it because 1) the tiles were despised by dd and 2) the program was frustrating to her. She would learn phonograms, but would inevitably choose the wrong phonogram to use in a word because so much of spelling is visual. For example, there are multiple phonograms that make the long e sound, but you just have to know which one to use in a word. You can't always use rules to determine that. It wasn't worth the fight especially when I could understand her frustration so I moved her to a spelling program that worked on that visual memory and broke words into chunks which is how I spell. I am firmly in the camp of believing that O-G based programs are stellar for learning to read (used LOE myself for my middle child), but not always great for spelling.

This was exactly our experience! Looks like we both ended up with Apples and Pears.

• Like 2

If you have a natural speller, and are needing to hold costs down, AAS is not a good choice.

If you don't enjoy scripted curriculums, AAS is not a good choice.

If you dislike constantly picking up ineffectively magnetized tiles off the floor, AAS is not a good choice.

If you have a struggling speller who needs constant review, AAS is a good choice.

If you, the inexperienced  teacher of reading and spelling, need a  curriculum that explains how phonics works to make words, AAS is a good choice.

If you can spend extra and get neodyminum magnet for your tiles, AAS is a good choice.

If you need to save money and are willing to only buy one student pack and tile set for your many children  to share, AAS is a good choice.

If you put a high value on spelling, and count the spelling dictation sentences as part of your children's writing instruction, AAS is a good choice.

• Like 1

Do you think this is true even through level 7 or is it that is progresses slowly and you work on lower level words for too long before getting to higher level words?

I only owned the first 2 levels, but honestly, what was covered in those 2 could easily have been less than 1/2 a book.  How to Teach Spelling is something like $30 and contains all of the rules, words, phrases, and spiraled sentences for grades 1-12.  AAS progresses way too slowly.  I have had 3 dyslexics and I still think it is way overpriced.

I think it *might* have worked for our family if there was a "transitions" book for people starting late. My kids were way beyond book 1, but they recommend starting at the beginning. They were so bored/frustrated they actually began misbehaving.

Saying "just speed up these lessons" is useless if your speed should be the whole book in a few days.

Emily

• Like 2

I'll just quote this instead of replying.

I, too, determined that rule based spelling isn't the right fit for one of mine for the same reasons. ETA: now I've read more replies and see we aren't the only ones!

• Like 1

Guest sabangzhi

I tried it but had two kids in level one at different places and one kid in level 2 and that was only the youngest three.5b.jpg

Takes way too long for our family and has too many pieces.  I tried it but had two kids in level one at different places and one kid in level 2 and that was only the youngest three.

agreed it took too much time and I felt the same about AAR

It was a program I researched when I realized DD needed something intensive for spelling. I didn't like the idea of the tiles - I was convinced that younger brothers would lose or mess with them and it would be a frustration. I also didn't like that I would have to purchase so many levels for DD to even learn all the phonograms. We certainly weren't "done" with spelling after going through LOE Essentials once, but at least after a year her spelling had improved tremendously and we had all the tools (aka rules and phonograms) to analyze any word we wanted to practice spelling in the future.

Do you think this is true even through level 7 or is it that is progresses slowly and you work on lower level words for too long before getting to higher level words?

It covers all of the modern Ayers list words (which ranks words through 12th grade) plus words from other common lists, so I felt it did get to higher level words. But you don't see it all come together until Level 5 when the final phonograms are introduced. The words only use concepts introduced to that point, so it builds incrementally, and some kids don't need that (mine did, and AAS was a great fit here). Here's more on the 4 spelling strategies used. HTH as you consider what will work for you!

Time!

Lessons were solid, but time consuming for *just* spelling. And there are 7 levels, which can be difficult to accelerate a child through if they are ready to mi e on. That's why we switched to LOE. Still time consuming, but it's more than spelling and very easy to accelerate (or slow down and practice).

I personally do really like it.  We began using AAR with my oldest who was having trouble learning to read and because of that we decided to use AAS as well.  We have gone through the first two levels and I love the rules that they learn to apply as well as the dictation.  I also like that there aren't tests that they are learning to memorize for the week.  With that said, I have one child using AAS with another using A Reason for Spelling since it is a better fit for him.  My one child thrives on the rules and that method, lack of tests, ect.  My other child needed a workbook style with a word list a week with repetition of the same words over and over.  For AAS I typically only use the TM and not the cards (instead I do a review of past covered words just by going through previous lessons and writing though words in the margin so I can remember to review those).  That makes the program more affordable and since I do use AAR, I typically have the tiles already from there.

Many things that others have posted.  For us it moved too slowly, was parent intensive, and the child I used it with found it repetitive and boring.  I purchased and sold it THREE separate times.  I made a final decision to not revisit AAS.  There are so many choices and everything doesn't work for everyone.

It wasn't out yet when I began HSing. I started with SWR, and it was not a match for my ds. I tried several other Spalding and O-G things b/c I knew he was dyslexic and these were supposed to be the best for dyselxics, right?

AAS is very expensive, especially when you consider all of the levels you have to buy.

AAS is time-intensive.

AAS has tiles that some people love, others detest. (My child needed letter manipulatives in high-sensory, 3D form anyway...sandpaper/playdoh.)

AAS is yet another version of O-G...if the first 3 versions didn't work, why waste time and $ on a 4th????

My ds needed something very different from the core philosophy. We found Apples & Pears...and while that is still not a perfect fit for him, it took us much closer to finding that perfect fit. My dd10 still uses Apples & Pears.

What is "O-G"? I can't find it on any acronym page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My oldest didn't need it and the format was driving us both crazy. Workbook to the rescue!

My second works really hard on AAR and adding AAS would just be too much. We will wait another year or two before adding spelling and probably will use a workbook.

What is "O-G"? I can't find it on any acronym page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OG stands for Orton-Gillingham. They developed developed a system of phonics instruction which is excellent for decoding for English for reading. I personally think the idea of reversing the OG system and believing that is a rule based way to spell is flawed, but I think it is the best way to teach reading.

• Like 1

I think it *might* have worked for our family if there was a "transitions" book for people starting late. My kids were way beyond book 1, but they recommend starting at the beginning. They were so bored/frustrated they actually began misbehaving.

Saying "just speed up these lessons" is useless if your speed should be the whole book in a few days.

And then if you start counting up the cost in order to speed through several books in a short period of time just to get to where your older student would place? That's why I passed. Could I use those levels with my younger children? Probably, but that's *a lot* of money to spend in one year.

OG stands for Orton-Gillingham. They developed developed a system of phonics instruction which is excellent for decoding for English for reading. I personally think the idea of reversing the OG system and believing that is a rule based way to spell is flawed, but I think it is the best way to teach reading.

It would be if only rules were taught--there isn't a rule for things like why we spell some long E sounds with EE and some with EA and some with IE, for example. But there are rules for some things and it's helpful to know those rules, as well as what choices we DO have for spelling a certain sound (when my son spelled "ask" "aic" because he thought sometimes words use extra vowels and that the C could stand for both the /s/ and the /k/ sounds--it was clear he needed some spelling rules and not just the visual method we had recently used! But a lot of spelling IS visual. And a lot is morphemic. And a lot is phonetic. And a lot is rules-based. Having a solid foundation in all four methods can really help students who struggle with spelling. AAS is about so much more than rules, but that O-G foundation in the phonograms and how they work, and any rules that do apply is significant to effective spelling. 

• Like 4

(haven't read the other reviews) 

A. hated it.  I mean, tears; trouble with retention; struggle all around.  The child isn't easy to teach generally, I must say, but I use curricula that have some bright spots for the child (occasionally he perks up with interest) and this had none. 

We switched to Evan-Moor spelling which has worked pretty well.  Now we're transitioning away from spelling to word study using VocabuLit ahead of level; if that takes too much time each day, we'll work on spelling as-needed and review trouble words unless a systematic problem develops (he's entering 5th grade). 

I may try it again with N. who is learning to read with AAR.  On the other hand, the Evan Moor materials have incidental knowledge that I like (little things my children aren't normally exposed to); Zaner-Bloser materials seem good for this too, and we may use their spelling.  Not sure. 

Plus there's a lot of hands-on time.  I do so much that's teacher-intensive, being able to do a more worksheet-and-review spelling was nice.  I did do an oral review daily with the child even with Evan Moor but it was much simpler and faster. 

I bought the first two levels and haven't finished the second one. I'm undecided whether we'll continue. My kid actually LOVES the letter tiles - he needs them. We keep them stuck to a white board that hangs up on the wall out of the reach of the kids and I take the board down when it's spelling/reading time.

Currently we are using a workbook instead, "Spelling Workout", and I really like it but there is not enough reinforcement for my not-natural speller. So I think we will likely come back to AAS to help teach the rules. My son is good about knowing rules. He has thrived with AAR and I like that AAS is similar and they work off each other. The only real downside is the cost. I don't find it too teacher intensive cause the lessons are super short. I don't like the format though. I've had to adjust some things on my own. For a kid that thrives with the tiles and phonograms etc. I think it might be worth the cost. The retention of the rules hasn't been excellent yet but we also haven't been very consistent with AAS when we were using it.  It's easy enough to go back to particular lessons to review the rules when necessary. I flipped through the scope and sequence of some of the higher levels (level 6, 7) and I can see some advantages to sticking with the program.

I bought the first two levels and haven't finished the second one. I'm undecided whether we'll continue. My kid actually LOVES the letter tiles - he needs them. We keep them stuck to a white board that hangs up on the wall out of the reach of the kids and I take the board down when it's spelling/reading time.

Currently we are using a workbook instead, "Spelling Workout", and I really like it but there is not enough reinforcement for my not-natural speller. So I think we will likely come back to AAS to help teach the rules. My son is good about knowing rules. He has thrived with AAR and I like that AAS is similar and they work off each other. The only real downside is the cost. I don't find it too teacher intensive cause the lessons are super short. I don't like the format though. I've had to adjust some things on my own. For a kid that thrives with the tiles and phonograms etc. I think it might be worth the cost. The retention of the rules hasn't been excellent yet but we also haven't been very consistent with AAS when we were using it. It's easy enough to go back to particular lessons to review the rules when necessary. I flipped through the scope and sequence of some of the higher levels (level 6, 7) and I can see some advantages to sticking with the program.

Since cost is a factor, if you are able to teach without a scripted lesson and want spiraled OG dictation, you might to look at How to Teach Spelling. http://www.christianbook.com/how-to-teach-spelling/laura-rudginski/9780838818473/pd/41847

Some people have posted that they couldn't figure out how to use it. I have used it off and one for ages. I already knew OG methodology fro WRTR. I start somewhere near the first sight word list and just plug forward with the kids from there. It would be easy to implement the tiles, etc from AAS to HTTS and the HTTS book covers 1st-12th grade words and dictation for under $30.

The biggest issue is if you can read through it and figure out how to teach it. There are student workbooks you can purchase that might help you figure out how to implement it. I haven't seen one of those in ages, so I can't remember what is in them. (But I used the main HTTS book with my 3rd grader this yr. All of my kids have used it at some point or other, either as their primary spelling source or after another program like A&P or WRTR.)

Since cost is a factor, if you are able to teach without a scripted lesson and want spiraled OG dictation, you might to look at How to Teach Spelling. http://www.christianbook.com/how-to-teach-spelling/laura-rudginski/9780838818473/pd/41847

Some people have posted that they couldn't figure out how to use it. I have used it off and one for ages. I already knew OG methodology fro WRTR. I start somewhere near the first sight word list and just plug forward with the kids from there. It would be easy to implement the tiles, etc from AAS to HTTS and the HTTS book covers 1st-12th grade words and dictation for under $30.

The biggest issue is if you can read through it and figure out how to teach it. There are student workbooks you can purchase that might help you figure out how to implement it. I haven't seen one of those in ages, so I can't remember what is in them. (But I used the main HTTS book with my 3rd grader this yr. All of my kids have used it at some point or other, either as their primary spelling source or after another program like A&P or WRTR.)

Edited because I realized I am talking about Spelling Plus, not HTTS! Lol.