Menu

if you vaccinate, will you have your daughters get this?

the gardisil vaccine? when we lived in florida, we had a wonderful large-homeschool family dad as our family doctor and he advised against it for now.

now that we've moved to pa, our doctor (who has been my in-laws doctor for years, but i don't know him at all) strongly recommends it....because his sister died of cervical cancer.

then i just watched this:

and man, i really don't want my girls to get this vaccine.

do i stand up to the current doc? find a different one? relax and just let them get the shot?

my 3 girls are 18, almost 17 and almost 13.

My doctor also recommended it. I just told him that we chose not to get the vaccine. He respected my wishes and hasn't brought it up again.

If you tell this doctor your decision and he still pressures you about it, I would find another doctor. He should respect your decisions regarding your own children.

I don't think we know enough about the vaccine. At first it sounded good, but that's the way all new health directives are.

If I could decide the side effects were rare and were not a big deal if they occurred then yes dd would have the vaccine.

I've gotten the impression that some people think this vaccine gives young women permission to be promiscuous. Like the vaccine is somehow immoral. I don't believe that. I'm not naive either. Once my dd leaves home she will make all kinds of decisions. I hope she will feel good about her choices and her decisions will reflect a strong moral upbringing. However, I don't want my dd to pay for mistakes or decisions with which I don't agree with her life. If I could be assured the risks were minimal I would have dd get the vaccine.

Right now some of the side effects look worse than cervical cancer and it appears that the chance of side effects is greater than getting cervical cancer. So, the vaccine isn't worth it. I'll need to do more research before dds next check up, but I don't I'll be convinced to go ahead with this.

Our ped is homeschool dad who has teenage dds. When we were just there to get some other vac's that dd was overdue for, he mentioned gardasil. I told him that I really wasn't sure of that one and would rather wait. He said he decided the same thing for his girls - it was too new and he would rather wait until more people had used it before subjecting his kids to it. I think if you don't want to get it, your dr should respect that and not try to push it on you. If he gets pushy, find a new dr.

No way. My dd (in college, studying nursing) is old enough to decide for herself, but she agrees that it's too new.

I do have a neighbor who told us last year at the bus stop that her dr had recommended that she get her 11-yr old dd vaccinated. She was somewhat stunned when another mom and I told her all the reasons for concern. She was actually surprised at how strongly my friend and I felt about not giving this particular vaccine at this time. All my friend and I could think was, "Doesn't she read about this stuff?" Obviously not.

I think the vaccine in theory is wonderful, and would like it to be available someday after being thoroughly tested, found to be safe long-term, etc. I don't think it meets those criteria right now.

Ria

I just went through this last summer with my dd. I had quite the heated discussion at the DR. office. Let me just say that I am not against vaccinations at all. In fact in many cases I agree with them. In fact my dd did get several other vaccinations while at this particular Dr. visit, just not the cervical cancer one.

I don't feel that we know enough about this vaccination in particular. It does not prevent all forms of cervical cancer. I have had cervical cancer. If I could prevent my dd from going through what I did with a simple shot in the arm. Believe me I would be holding her down!!! The shot can not prevent the type of cancer that I had. It only prevents those cervical cancers that come from STD's and multiple sexual partners.

Now, I am not blind, yes, I want to teach my dd monogamy and waiting until she is married. But lets be realistic---that simply may not happen! (The Dr. other argument.) I just felt at the age of 11, with the fact that my dd is homeschooled and with me every second of the day except for ballet. I really do not have a risk of her being sexually active at this point in her life. I choose to wait it out for a couple of years and see the results and further studies of the vaccination. She can always get it later when she is older.

My dd and I have a very open relationship, I explained this to the Dr. and he told my dd in the my presence why I was denying the shot and made sure that my dd understood what the shot was for. So in the Dr. mind it was a mutual decision between dd and I. (I had discussed this with her before hand --so she knew.) I was ok with the conversation because I was present and it was a good thing. It also showed the Dr. that my dd was already aware of several issues, and even some gray areas that the Dr left out I covered. Like the cervical cancer --what types it prevents.

Right now they are thinking that kids will need another booster shot later on. I would just rather wait it out a bit and see. If my dd were older and more prone to being sexually active --like she were 17-21 etc. I may feel a bit different.

Lynda

Interestingly, my sister, who is a family practice doc, said she would probably have her girls get it. They are 4, 3, and 1 right now, so I think they have some time, but I was a little surprised, honestly. She's pretty cautious usually.

I will not have my girls have it at this time. Like others have said, if it proves itself to be safe and effective, that is one thing, but it hasn't.

I'm not against vaccines, either. The girls all got theirs as scheduled; I spread Schmooey's out a bit because my mommy instinct told me to do so. He hasn't had MMR yet because of the egg and his allergy; I have been putting off making an appointment with the allergist etc. I think vaccines are a good thing, for the most part, but I am suspicious of all things medical and this is too new.

Absolutely, positively not.

I just read this morning that the CDC is going to be looking into a possible connection between the vaccine and a very quick-moving form of ALS. I had been following the story of a young girl who developed the disease not long after receiving the vax. She passed away on March 15th. Because her illness has been publicized through a blog by the family, at least two other families have come forward with similar stories regarding their daughters and the vax.

As one mother put it, if there's even a 1 or 2 in a million chance that your daughter could be the one who suffers from that side effect, would you assume that kind of risk?

No, we won't do this for the reasons others mentioned. I am for normal vaccines that have gone through rigorous testing and have been used for a long time. I am more willing to risk something new for a life threatenig immediate condition. My daughters are not at risk now and the vacine is too new/ Therefore it does not meet my criteria. There is a promotional poster for the vaccine at my daughter's adolescent medical doctor but he hasn't mentioned the vaccine for them. We have actually medical problems to concern our selves with and neither this doctor nor the one in Florida made mention of it at all.

My aunt got this shot for her daughter who was a junior in High School because it was strongly recommended. Within a few weeks she was hospitilized for a month. It made her blood vessels expand and leak. Her kidneys were not functioning well either. She had to be put on a steroid and couldn't walk without pain for over 6 months. She is now able to walk okay but her kidneys are taking their time to heal. Her doctor wrote the cause as the "gardisil Vacc".

We no longer vaccinate, but when we still did(18 months ago) I thought I would get it for her but decided against it because I starting hearing about lots of side effects and reactions that I was uncomfortable with the idea to give it to her when it was so new.

I don't like what I have read about it so far, so my DD will not be getting the shot. Our ped has not mentioned it so far, which makes me think that he is not for it since vaccines are a big deal to him. It is too new, and we don't really know if it works or what the long term side effects will be. Is there anyway they can get the virus from the vaccine? Is it live virus? My middle DS got cp from the cp vaccine, so I am leary.

We are dealing with cancer now (not related to STDs) in my son, and if I could prevent cancer in my kids I would jump at the chance, but I just don't know if this is really going to be worth the risk of the vaccine for my dd. If she decides that she needs it when she becomes an adult then that will be her decision, and perhaps more will be known about it in years to come.

Good luck on your decision. It is so hard to know what is best sometimes.

Sterility in lab rats?

We will pass. My niece had that STD. Of course then again, she slept with every Tom, Dick and Harry so could find. She had the surgery and was told that she would probably never get pregnant. She challenged every guy she met to get her pregnant. Now she has three children by three different fathers: Tom, Dick and Harry, I believe. She doesn't raise any of them and she is a state trooper of all things. :glare:

Not happening here and I had cervical cancer. I have posted on this before. Cervical cancer is one of the slowest developing cancer there are. It is fairly easily curable and almost 100% so. This vaccine is only against a few strains of the virus and is only needed if you come in contact with one of these strains. If you are a virgin or in a very low risk relationship (you are both each other's firsts and can be pretty sure that you are in a monogamous realtionship) then there is no need for the vaccine. The vaccine is too new and is starting to look pretty dangerous. There is no way I would give my dd s this vaccine. They can decide for themselves when they are over 18. The oldest two would definitely not get it and I am pretty sure that the 16 year old will decide against it herself.

Assert yourself with your dr. Tell him you have made your decision and you will let him know if you change your mind but would otherwise prefer not to discuss it. He should respect your decision. Many dr. are required to mention it. Mine said, "I know you are not interested in this and I wouldn't recommend it for your dd but I am required to mention it so here is your paperwork and that was the end of that. I love my dr.

My dd is so young right now (9yo) that I consider this my decision, and that decision is a resounding NO (though I did give her the standard vax). When she is older (mid- to late- teens?) I would consider it her decision, but also consider it my duty to make sure she is well informed before making that decision. By then, at least *some* more information will be known about it's side effects and potential consequences. I'm not sure if it will be enough to make me feel comfortable with it, and if I am uncomfortable I will definitely make my reasons known to her. But ultimately, it is her decision.

do i stand up to the current doc? find a different one? relax and just let them get the shot?

my 3 girls are 18, almost 17 and almost 13.

If you decide against the vac, tell the doctor. You can't expect any doctor out there to come to the same conclusions as you on every topic. So the fact that his opinion is different than yours should not be a concern. But if he does not respect your well-informed decision against the vac, or if you find you disagree about the vast majority of decisions you have to make, that would be the time to look elsewhere.

ETA: We do vax selectively, but my daughter will no tbe getting this particular immunization.

Edited by Amy loves Bud

Add my NO. Gee, not a single yes in all who responded? Interesting.

As an aside, do you think public schools will require this vaccination eventually, perhaps at the collegiate level? Our school requires chicken pox vac--I was surprised at that (there are exceptions, but the expectation is that you will have it).

Another thought - I have yet to discuss this with the Pediatrician (though it will probably come up when I see him with the kids in the spring) but I asked my ob/gyn and he told me he saw no need for it, as he knows our family pretty well. I have a feeling that he may have given me different advice if he thought that our girls were....you know what I mean!

My 21-yr old was recently pressured to get this one. She calmly replied that she didn't see the need as she isn't s^xually active and didn't plan to be. The dr was just stunned...at the idea that a 21 yr old wasn't "active." DD and I privately discussed it and she'll revisit the issue when it becomes relevant. For now, NO!

I don't think we know enough about the vaccine. At first it sounded good, but that's the way all new health directives are.

If I could decide the side effects were rare and were not a big deal if they occurred then yes dd would have the vaccine.

I've gotten the impression that some people think this vaccine gives young women permission to be promiscuous. Like the vaccine is somehow immoral. I don't believe that. I'm not naive either. Once my dd leaves home she will make all kinds of decisions. I hope she will feel good about her choices and her decisions will reflect a strong moral upbringing. However, I don't want my dd to pay for mistakes or decisions with which I don't agree with her life. If I could be assured the risks were minimal I would have dd get the vaccine.

Right now some of the side effects look worse than cervical cancer and it appears that the chance of side effects is greater than getting cervical cancer. So, the vaccine isn't worth it. I'll need to do more research before dds next check up, but I don't I'll be convinced to go ahead with this.

:iagree:

And to add to it - even if my dd decides to remain a virgin until her wedding night - that does not help if her future spouse was not a virgin as well.

As time goes on and if it proves to be more safe - I would have my dd have the vaccination. I don't know enough about the risks right now, though.

Having worked in a health clinic and assisted with treatment of genital warts-as awful as they are and difficult to treat I am not vaccinating. There is not enough evidence of safety particularly with neurological problems. Secondly, because I firmly believe in barrier Birth control. I fear this vaccine will have the effects of the pill fooling people who are young or ignorant into thinking they are protected from life threatening STD 's . For my dd I hope she waits but in any event I cannot say strongly enough that barrier BC is the safest method if one decides to have relations. Pelvic inflammatory disease , AIDS , Syphillis, Gonoherrea , genital warts all prevented by barrier or abstinence. I saw so many patients with really dangerous , serious infections because they were sure that "the pill would protect them and only skanky girls got STD's". Not true at all. In any event I have seen that in younger populations the naivete with which they approach health matters is appalling. They really believe the erroneous info they get from their peers and were almost always shocked to discover that the disease they had could have ruined or seriously impaired their fertility and overall well being for life...I shared these thoughts with dd pediatrician who disagreed that the vaccine was inappropriate. I think the Dr is superb we agree to disagree on this. Dd was mortified by my candor about overall safety/barrier birth control to which I replied ,"My dear child, that is why se******activity is for married adults because we can discuss it without shame or ignorance. " It is a really difficult choice to make but I am very concerned about the glib marketing that underlies the rush to utilize this vaccine.

I do not have a daughter, but if I did I would not make her get this vaccine for all of the reasons others have stated.

I would also take the time to help her educate herself on the vaccine, so that when she reached age 18 and could make this decision for herself, that she'd have the ability to make a well informed decision.

I must admit that I trust Big Pharma very, very little. Less and less each year, it seems.

The doctor- any doctor- is your servant, not your master. You are the authority in your family's life, and health. Educate yourself. Doctors are trained by a corrupt establishment funded by people who make vaccines. Of course they are prejudiced that way- and I am not against vaccines outright.

I must preface this by saying that I have not read all of the posts. My POV comes from being in the medical oncology research field.

I would never have my daughter vaccinated for this for several reasons:

1. It only protects against a few (albeit more common) strains that cause cervical cancer.

2. Cervical cancer is not always caused by a virus. Therefore, vaccination does not mean that your child will be cervical cancer free.

3. It's a new vaccine. I prefer others to be subjects in phase 4 clinical trials, KWIM.

I prefer to educate my daughter about the risks that go along with being sexually active. IMO, this vaccination campaign is being waged at a time when many pharmaceutical companies have very little promising coming up in the pipelines.

It's an important issue and I'm glad that we - the moms of young girls - are talking about it. I've just learned a very sad story regarding the possible risks at http://www.jenjensfamily.blogspot.com/

I didn't actually know about this sad story until I began responding to this post and I started to read this New York Times article, where I learned that there was a case of a very severe possible vaccine reaction to Gardasil that one family was chronicling via their blog. Sadly, the young woman, Jenny Tetlock, has died. She passed away on Sunday, March 15th. This information was posted the day before she died:

As readers of this blog know, Jenny is 15 years old. Two years ago, she was a normal, seemingly healthy girl. Today, she is a quadriplegic who cannot breathe on her own for more than a few seconds.

Despite over a year of intensive testing at several of the country’s top medical centers, doctors still aren’t sure what has caused Jenny’s paralysis. Some (mostly neurologists) believe that she has an unusual, rapidly progressive form of juvenile ALS – the same disease that confines Stephen Hawking to a wheelchair. Others (mostly immunologists) think she may have a rare autoimmune disease that mimics ALS.

Jenny’s first symptoms occurred not long after she received the last of three HPV vaccinations (Gardasil). Her family hesitates to declare Gardasil the cause of her illness without scientific evidence, but some MDs at top hospitals see the connection as possible and even plausible.

Thousands of vaccine recipients worldwide have reported adverse reactions to Gardasil. But their reports are largely anecdotal, and their reactions have not been confirmed as being caused by the vaccine.

The official US repository for data about adverse reactions to vaccines is the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) database. Our concerns focus on the inadequacies of the VAERS database.

Here is what I was going to share, originally, from the New York Times article, The Evidence Gap: Drug Makers’ Push Leads to Cancer Vaccines’ Rise.

In the United States, hundreds of doctors have been recruited and trained to give talks about Gardasil — $4,500 for a lecture — and some have made hundreds of thousands of dollars. Politicians have been lobbied and invited to receptions urging them to legislate against a global killer. And former state officials have been recruited to lobby their former colleagues.

I agree with everyone who has posted to say that they are proceeding cautiously if at all with this vaccine. If it has claimed a life, or even contributed slightly to the death of a young woman, then what a tragedy.

Doctors are trained by a corrupt establishment funded by people who make vaccines. Of course they are prejudiced that way- and I am not against vaccines outright.

I'm not going to argue the merits or issues with Gardisil here. I stay away from these discussions, although I find them interesting to read.

But I found this statement incredibly offensive and felt compelled to say that.

Off to go be brainwashed some more by the corrupt establishment I'm part of...obviously I don't think for myself and am just part of the great conspiracy to poison society.

If you feel uncomfortable with the shot, and your doctor is pressuring you about it, I would find another doctor! I have had an experience with a "pushy" (at the least) doctor. To make a long story short, my dh & I have decided not to have the rogham shot during pregnancies, well, this doctor was pushing me to have the shot behind my dh back and just not tell him! I was OUTRAGED! We decided that if a doctor was going to pressure you to do something you were not comfortable with, then there is no telling what he might do without you knowing. Just something to think about.

I'm not going to argue the merits or issues with Gardisil here. I stay away from these discussions, although I find them interesting to read.

Off to go be brainwashed some more by the corrupt establishment I'm part of...obviously I don't think for myself and am just part of the great conspiracy to poison society.

I would caution you to not take offense where none was intended.

The statement was made as a direct result of hearing the OP is being pressured by her doc to have her dd get the vaccine. While YOU may not fall into the Stereotypical Doctor group, there are a LOT who do. Same w/ teachers --they are teaching and being trained in an inherently faulty system, even tho most are [i am sure] Very Good Teachers.

If you truly want to show that you are not part of a corrupt establishment, then i would encourage you to actually participate in the discussion about the merits and issues regarding this vaccine. This is, after all, a discussion board.

It's not really a vaccine for cervical cancer.

It's a vaccine for SOME forms of HPV that are linked to cervical cancer.

I will not be at all surprised in the future when we find out the vaccine causes cancer - whether cervical or other.

HPV doesn't always cause cancer.

And the shot is only for a few strains of HPV anyway.

The risk of side effects from the shot itself far outweighs any benefit IMO.

I'd rather hand them a condom.

Well, when the doctors only know how to treat a set of symptoms with a pharmaceutical drug, and have no idea how to find the cause or work towards a genuine cure, one has to wonder what exactly they are learning in med school. Nutrition is a 3 credit class you can take in a junior college. I think the pharmaceutical industry finances the program of study - and they sure as heck finance the practice with their ink pens, note pads, vacations, and propagandic lies.

Not all doctors of course. I found one who could heal. He was a naturapath.