Menu

First of all I want to personally thank SWB and JW for taking the time to write WTM. I had already been homeschooling for several years when I read it. My oldest two did not really reap the benefits from the shift in my homeschooling paradigm, but the oldest of my younger four is now a high school senior. She was in the grammar stage when I began making changes in the tone and intensity of my educational plan.

We were never able to implement everything that I wanted to. Latin fell away because I was overwhelmed. We never really made it very far in logic. WTM made the gaps in my education even more obvious than they already were. But I did not let this discourage me and I soldiered on and we did the best we could do to live out the ideals in WTM.

These forums, esp the high school board and the curriculum board, were a huge help to me; a very real and tangible support in keeping the rigor and keeping it real.

This afternoon Sarah received a personal phone call from the director of the honors program at the college she has chosen. She was accepted into the University Scholars program, an elite group that only accepts 15 freshmen per year. We know from the competition weekend that she was on the low end of competitors as far as ACT and GPA, just a little higher than what it took to be invited to compete. It was her ability to hold her own in group discussions on diverse topics, to stand up to the interview process, to keep it together during the timed essays. The competitors were watched every minute of the competition weekend to see if they would be a good fit for the program. I knew she would be a good fit and now her chosen college has seen her for what she is; a bright, well read, well rounded, thoughtful young woman who knows who she is, what she stands for and how to defend that stance.

Thank you Susan. Thank you Jessie. The time you invested in pouring yourselves out into the pages of WTM is a large part of the reason that we are where we are today. Thank you for the roadmap.

Edited by Kelli in TN

Kelli, I want to add a congratulations to YOU as well! I've been reading your posts for a few years, and I am always impressed with the care and concern you show in choosing your curriculum and your overall path! You are obviously a dedicated homeschooler, and your children are very lucky!

And congratulations to your daughter as well!!

You two need to go celebrate!

WTM made the gaps in my education even more obvious than they already were. But I did not let this discourage me and I soldiered on and we did the best we could do to live out the ideals in WTM.

This afternoon Sarah received a personal phone call from the director of the honors program at the college she has chosen. She was accepted into the University Scholars program, an elite group that only accepts 15 freshmen per year.

Congratulations, Kelli and Sarah!!!

Kelli, you are one of my biggest heroes here on the boards. You are SO encouraging, esp. about those gaps that I keep discovering in my own life.

Go girl!

Hooray, Kelli and daughter! Kelli, you've been a light on these boards for years, and I appreciate YOU. I also appreciate your mentioning the gaps that still remained in your schooling of your children - it's terribly encouraging to me, and helps keep me plugging away, even though it's not all perfect in this old schoolhouse.

Great job!

P.S. If so inclined, please share the college?? How was she considered for the Honor's program?

I would prefer not to reveal the school.

She qualified to compete based on her ACT score and her GPA. Once invited to apply for competition she had to submit a resume, an essay detailing why she should be a University Scholar. She also had to submit letters of reference and a letter from her "counselor". Since she does not have a counselor they said the letter could be written by me.

I worked hard on that letter and a handful of folks from here helped me word it well. Instead of just the "blah-blah my daughter is so wonderful" letter I detailed attributes of hers that I thought would benefit the program as well as traits of hers that would be made better by participation in the program. We sent all that in and then attended a competition weekend. During the competition weekend she sat in on classes and then participated in group discussions on current events with upperclass Scholars and professors. Everything mattered, every detail of the weekend mattered. We actually stood in the parking lot and debated whether she should drag her exhausted self to the social mixer just to impress the other Scholars when all she wanted to do was sleep and prepare for the harder parts of the competition the next day. She chose sleep and we hoped that it would not be a strike against her.

The big day of competition involved interviews by the deans of the various departments, writing a timed essay, and being watched. Even lunch was nerve wracking because the president of the Scholars chose our table to sit at, and since he was there the dean of the university sat down too. So our daughter used her cell phone under the table to text messages to me like "Please ask Dad to get his elbows off the table.":lol:

She wanted this more than she has wanted anything in her life. She will spend the next four years being mentored by professors and working on academic projects outside of class with the Scholars. All of this will be in addition to carrying a full course load and maintaining a minimum GPA and taking the Honors Core classes.

Her junior and senior years will be spent balancing her normal courseload while working with a faculty mentor from her major on a research project. Some of these research projects end up being published in professional publications. One of the Scholars we met was getting ready to fly to Vegas to present her project to a professional association.

They tell us that when these students apply to grad school the fact that they have already done independent research is invaluable.

Thank you for sharing your experience on the boards, and especially in this post. Thanks to SWB, JW, this great forum and people like you, I have great examples and guidance to follow as I homeschool my own dd (09). Reading your post is a delight and inspiration, and it reminds me of why I'm making this huge effort to raise and educate my little girl in the way we have chosen.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I would prefer not to reveal the school.

She qualified to compete based on her ACT score and her GPA. Once invited to apply for competition she had to submit a resume, an essay detailing why she should be a University Scholar. She also had to submit letters of reference and a letter from her "counselor". Since she does not have a counselor they said the letter could be written by me.

I worked hard on that letter and a handful of folks from here helped me word it well. Instead of just the "blah-blah my daughter is so wonderful" letter I detailed attributes of hers that I thought would benefit the program as well as traits of hers that would be made better by participation in the program. We sent all that in and then attended a competition weekend. During the competition weekend she sat in on classes and then participated in group discussions on current events with upperclass Scholars and professors. Everything mattered, every detail of the weekend mattered. We actually stood in the parking lot and debated whether she should drag her exhausted self to the social mixer just to impress the other Scholars when all she wanted to do was sleep and prepare for the harder parts of the competition the next day. She chose sleep and we hoped that it would not be a strike against her.

The big day of competition involved interviews by the deans of the various departments, writing a timed essay, and being watched. Even lunch was nerve wracking because the president of the Scholars chose our table to sit at, and since he was there the dean of the university sat down too. So our daughter used her cell phone under the table to text messages to me like "Please ask Dad to get his elbows off the table.":lol:

She wanted this more than she has wanted anything in her life. She will spend the next four years being mentored by professors and working on academic projects outside of class with the Scholars. All of this will be in addition to carrying a full course load and maintaining a minimum GPA and taking the Honors Core classes.

Her junior and senior years will be spent balancing her normal courseload while working with a faculty mentor from her major on a research project. Some of these research projects end up being published in professional publications. One of the Scholars we met was getting ready to fly to Vegas to present her project to a professional association.

They tell us that when these students apply to grad school the fact that they have already done independent research is invaluable.

I knew she was pursuing this, and that it was a big deal...but until I read this I didn't realize just how big a deal it is!

Sooo awesome.

Give her a hug from me...and give yourself one, too, Mom!!